AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICAINS DONT GET PAID WELL !

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 1162)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

dealer technician in Brampton, Ontario

65 months ago

I work for a dealer in toronto, canada, I have been fixing cars for 12 years
i have worked for a dealer for 6 years, i have seen the rise and fall in just 6 years of dealership experience people just dont want to spend on thier cars like they use to. \i have read about techs complaing about poor warranty times there is moto we follow in my dealeship, we say let them do whatever they want because in the end they are just pissing of technicians and thats probably the worst thing they could do, we(techs) always win I SCAM WARRANTY EVERYDAY TO FEED MY FAMILY if they dont like it then stop F*&!king me on warranty. CP customers never get screwed the way we look at it is if the ceo's of the big three can take private jets to congress then they can afford to pay us fair warranty times.
The manufactures do it to themselves. another thing to many techs not enough work in the dealerships causes fighting over jobs day in day out.
T

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jimmy in South Plainfield, New Jersey

65 months ago

independent shop tech in Wasilla, Alaska said: I got 1 year of school and 2 years of experience w/ import autos and make 17 hourly.

That's not much money for 2 yrs experience. You should be making over 18 a hour. But, in this economy you have to take what you can get.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Expert Auto and Diesel Technician in Irving, Texas

65 months ago

I must agree with some of the comments about the business, I been working on vehicles 35 yrs I have invested over 100,000.00 in tools along. In this business only the strong survive if you thought that this business paid a lot of money then you are right and wrong. The industry has changed and it's changing all the time. I have worked for corporations, independent shops, also I am operating my own business, I agree the business stinks at times because alot of the mechanics out here don't have the ability or the knowledge to repair vehicles right the first time. The parts changers on vehicles has gave us a bad name. Some so call mechanics do need to step down and leave this business, because you are in it for the wrong reason, if you don't have the love for repairing products leave it alone its not worth the time and money, but if you do have the love and the ability then stay in it you will eventually start earning what you are worth. Sometimes you have to continue to shop around for a good employer especially if all you have is dealer training sometimes this training can be useless, but don't let this discourage you from this business.
The dealer is shooting theirself in the foot every year and the independents is too. Eventually the good technicians that stood their ground will be very valuable I already see it coming, going on strike could help, but its not the solution, continue to let these manufactors shoot themselves they will be begging for good technicians, don't give up its already coming to past. Dealers and independent shops are suffering and its not just the economy thats causing this action, cause after while they want have anyone to repair vehicles because they can't do it themselves, this is when you guys will be glorified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

steve in Plano, Texas

65 months ago

No owners can survive without a tech cause they cant work but want lots of money and cheat with hours so wat u give is wat u get so plz employers dont blame the techs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

steve w in Endicott, New York

65 months ago

ed- u- macation !!!! the last 15 so call techs could onley tell me how many volts?? with there dvm ,after I set it to DC.. i condem a conponent twice befor i order it.. knowledge is the key THEY WILL PAY IF YOU HOULD THE KEY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

mattymatt in Staten Island, New York

65 months ago

Hey Steve W from Endicott NY....
You may want to learn how to spell and form complete sentences before preaching about education!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

stevenrdl in Charlottesville, Virginia

65 months ago

It is called invisible writing, and it is very easy to do when writing on your computer. Did you know that? Probably not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

mattymatt in Staten Island, New York

65 months ago

apparently not for some

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

steve in Windsor, New York

65 months ago

ED- U - MA- CATION!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Phil in Rockville, Maryland

65 months ago

OK, now would be the time it could get changed, the government right now do not like the auto manufactors.
If we can get them to require that a auto tech has to be licensed or can't work on a car this job would change overnight. You would get rid of the part changers, the chain shops (what good is it to have SEAR"S work on car's) come on they can't even work a cash resister. I used to get the Service Managers from a Sear's store have me work on his car, no his employee's.
ASE was formed by the BIG 3 so the government won't require a license to work on cars and have us set up like plummer and electrians. When would you ever see a master licensed electrian make any less than $35-50 an hr. Master Tech's making less than $30.00 are really getting the shaft.
Now would be the time. Everyone that a real tech should give $10. to $20 a month to hire our own lobbist to change the laws so we can have the one's coming into this bussiness a chance to make a good living.
The manufactor have no money now to fight us, WE could pull this off.

Thanks for reading this and hope to get this going soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Jeepman401 in Norwich, Connecticut

65 months ago

I agree with the licensing 100%, however, I'm not holding my breath on it

the problem is how do they implement it? its not like electrical or plumbing, there is such a broad range of subjects, your going to end up with something like ASE, and its not going to do any good The good techs who cant take a test to save their ass will get forced out of the business, and the tech who can ace a test, but cant fix much of anything is taking their place, or your typical UTI student (I went there, and I know how it is, 2/3 of the people who graduate from UTI are useless, they just know how to take a test and float by on everyone else lab work)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Broke Technician in Providence, Rhode Island

64 months ago

I've hopped around from job to job, looking for a decent place. I've worked at a dealership and two independent shops: Firestone and currently (and in some sense, almost shamefully), Sears. In the beginning when I was changing oil for about $8 an hour, all the senior techs would tell me "If you're smart, you go do something else with your life." I started when I was 18, I'm 21 now. I've also In my short time of working in this field, I've seen my share of hacks and crooks. Let me tell you, it's just amazing what people will pull off just for an extra tenth of an hour or a couple of dollars extra on their commission.

In spite of my love for cars, I also went to school for this field - what a mistake that was. $30,000+ for what? I never have to wonder why I feel so damn depressed every night I leave work (I might have only worked on 2 cars for the whole day!!!). It's hard to put your foot in when you're trying to absorb all the information around you when you have guys looking to get their own piece and stay hungry for seconds.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

C. Rutherford in Statesville, North Carolina

64 months ago

steve in Nashville, Tennessee said: Work for a Honda dealer in Virginia. I make 17.00 dollars an hour flat rate and on average get paid 90 to 125 hours bi-weekly. Hvae ase certification and VA inspector license. Work 730-530 M-F, with an hour lunch from 12-1. Saturday and Sunday Off. when you graduate from school get yourself a job with Honda, Toyota, or Nissan and stay there. They will continue your education through there training centers. Also dont be a pre-madonna, be a worker. You will recieve alot more respect. Dont go into extreme debt with snap-on. Most of my stuff is sk, craftsman, husky. Had it for years and they still work. Hondas dont require you to have too many tools anyways. Learn the basics and learn the warranty and you will be fine.

Hello, I have been reading the comments on this page and they are kinda scaring me because this is about to be my career in about 6 months. I am a student at NTI(UTI branch) and most of the instructors there are retired from the field or either had quit for some reason. In my mind if its a good trade to get in why would they get out of it, it just dosent seem like they are telling us the full story of why they stop working. In my mind is the reason these people are leaving these type of messages. Anyway my plan is to get in this MSAT program and work for Mercedes Benz, plan B is to work for Infiniti/Nissan. What you are saying sounds more like what i am trying to see when i get out not starting out around 10.00 I was getting paid that much in High School and I'm not trying to go backwards in life. Could you give me some good advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Volvo Mike in New Hope, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

Bill in Mission Viejo, California said: Me bitter??? Im a realist just giving people the facts. BMW and Mercedes are nothing special, and with this recession you will be out of work if you specialize in those products. As for UTI it is a for-profit school they make money by charging each student 30k and getting the new ones in. Alot of people go to the university of phoenix and get a masters degree, and guess what? Its not worth sh*t in the real world the school is a joke and so is UTI!

I Worked with a Kid Who spent 30 k on Tech School(UTI)he was Working at a service station i worked at briefly ...the REASON he Went was because of the Promise of Job Placement,when he GRADUATED and Inquired about enployment they said "Cant Help You Good Bye"Very Unfair But True

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

jodandoe toyo tech ex nissan uti grad in Desert Hot Springs, California said: being an auto tech is a burnt out option in terms of employment. when really any person could have done it, it payed good ten years ago. it paid very very well but since the late 90s its been horrible. the auto makers rip off the technicians with their warranty flat rate pay but slowly but surely warranties are getting longer and longer and pay less. your better off being a service writer who doesnt even have to buy the pen or computer they use. the cost of tools is rediculous a wrench from snap-on is 30 dollars. to achieve 8 hours daily right now at the dealer im at seems like a very difficult feat and this is sad considering a toolbox costs between 4k to 13k empty. its not that there arent enough qualified people but its plain stupid to do such a difficult job for such below average pay. im making 15 per hour or 2200 gross a month at 80 hours every two weeks. time to go back to school after spending 20k in education for this poor paying job.

I Very Much AGREE with your Post (i PERSONALLY Worked for 2 car Lines Toyota and Volvo between the 2 almost 15 years) Ive WATCHED the transition in this Field its Both Sad and Scarey it HIGHLY DOUBTFULL i will Return to a Dealer unless They put a BASE pay in writing...here is WHY ....Ive watched my income go way Down,due to Common dealer Practice ..ie...if their are Inexperianced Unqualified Techs odds ARE their Doing the Service Work WHILE Techs Like myself are Loosing their Shirt Diagnosing Drivability(Warranty) issues....It is EASIER and SAFER(Not Fair but True) I spent Many Years Tolerating This, I dont Anymore.....I predict that there is going to be a LARGE shortage of Qualified Technicians in 5 to 10 Years....Very Sad ...but my Opinion is that The Manufacturers/Dealers Did this Themselves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Greg in Columbia, Missouri said: You are all a bunch of whiners. Anyone with decent skills and a desire to learn can and will make a very good living as a flat rate tech. The biggest problem I see is just what I have seen here. A bunch of hens standing around crying about what they cant do. I think you should all quit and go sell hamburgers at mickey d's so that you can find something else to gripe about.

Im Curious,How Long Have You Been in the Field?,What Do You Specialize in? ...Certifications?......Experiance?...Where is it you work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

steve w in Binghamton, New York

64 months ago

my advise is go for it my house harley atv snowmobile car and truck are all paid in full by auto repairs ilove it keep training and gettttt rrrr done .had to do it guys !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

It really is not a bad career.What makes it tough is the industry relies on the health of the economy. Also flate rate at times can be unstable as well. I had made a decision to go back to school, but after 10 years of expirenece i am having a struggle deciding if I should just walk away, or stay with what I know. I am doing pretty well in college, despite a 12 year absence from the world of academics. If I do decide to walk away, i am really going to get a nursing degree or a degree in radiography. If you can only go toschool for two years, then the allied health professions is pretty much a gurantee upon graduation. There are techs who do really well, but i think the industry needs passionate technicians who really want to do it. I am having a hard time deciding if I am that guy anymore. Because their was a time when I really loved cars.
Steve R.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

To sum it up for you, in dealerships you have alot of politics. Guys argue with each other over jobs, as a new graduate you will probably get the shortest end of the stick their is and lastly Their are "Operators and Policy Makers." You the technician who thought you were doing the right thing, is one of the Operators. The politicians who run the fancy dealerships, are the Policy makers, and well They are the ones that usually screw things up. I know a girl who spent four-thousand dollars on her education. When she graduated, she became an LPN and started out making 21 dollars an hour fresh out of school. Her training only required one year of school. Wanna go to school an extra year? Well then you could have become an RN and Started out a little higher up on the pay scale.
I personally dont want to knock the industry as a whole. I have done decent in my life as a technician. If you are a person who really likes cars, who is going to be passionate about what your doing, and this was your dream to become a technician, then dont let anyone take that away from you. I am certified tech, prior-service army veteran, and a current college student. I am here to tell you one thing that almost anyone else on this web-site would most likely agree- "There Is No Such Thing As A Perfect Profession." The problems that exist in our industry, dont eist in others. However the others are not the automotive industry. What problems we dont have, another industry probably does. I hope this helps.
Steve R.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dj in Bristol, Connecticut

64 months ago

I am 42 and have been a tech since 1985 started in an independent stayed for 8 years as an hourly tech made my paycheck on time and a half 50 hours was a normal week! then because the small independent couldnt/wouldnt offer health insurance, moved on to a dealership where I was introduced to the flatrate system! I took to it like a fish to water never had a guarantee week since. my average was easily 60 hours a week and have hit the 100 mark numerous times until lately this year it seems times are changing and very fast ! it seems the trend now with the economy and lower volume into the dealership is too hire inexperiance/cheap help and like someone else stated give them the little gravy that does trickle in while the experianced tech gets the warranty/beating I now am contemplating going back to my roots to a local well known independent shop as an hourly tech which does offer health insurance and appears to be current with technology! not an old hen crying just stating what has come to be!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Brittany in Edgewater, Florida

63 months ago

Thanks for the rude reply, Phil. I do have a bachelor's degree thank you very much, and I'm almost done with my masters in accountancy. I was just doing some researh and wanted any information on compensation that anyone could give me. Thanks anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Hello, being a technician is not a bad career. Different places offer different pay scales. Like the dealership is flate rate based, meaning that you get paid for what you do, not for being on the clock. The tire chains offer a hourly rate plus commission, although the hourly rate is not as high as the dealerships. Private owned mom and pop shops may offer a salsry of x amount of dollars a week. Alot of people on this site are angry, because they are not doing what they want too do, or they dont have the proper training. The days of the shade tree mehcanic are over. A technician today, needs training in elctronics and computers, as well as still knowing the basics. those who dont pursue post-secondary education may find this hard too do in the next 5-10 years. I like yourself, am working myself through college. I like being a technician, so i am working towards an applied science degree in Electronics Technology. I hope this information is helpful too you
-Steve

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

rambutan316 in Pasadena, California

63 months ago

I am taking an introductory automotive course at my local community college, and from the looks of these comments I am not sure if I want to continue taking any more automotive courses. Like most of the people here, I love cars and that would be my dream job to be able to work on cars all day. Unfortunately, there are bills to pay and it seems like the amount of stress and work involved in addition to the low pay does not seem worth it.

I am an honest person. I could never see myself cheating someone just to make a few extra bucks or to save a few minutes on a repair job. I know most auto techs out there are honest people who genuinely want to help a customer's car, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Since I am not the type of person to cheat someone or to work sloppily or recklessly to save a few minutes ( I like to take my time, especially when doing delicate automotive work), I doubt I can survive in this career field.

I am not sure if I want to pursue this career. If someone can give me some reasons to, other than the proverbial "do what you love to do" saying, then I would really like to hear them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

If you truly love cars, then consider the business side of the industry. Dealerships have pc support staff, as well a service managers, service writers, and sales managers. I f you really want to work on cars, electronics and computers is where it is going and going. If you really want to be a technician, stick with the imports, look before you leap, and Honda, Toyota, and Nissan are probably your best bets. There are technicians out there who make 100k a year. They are very skilled highly trained techs that most likely have computer and electronics training. Like any other career, it is what you make of it. There are down times in the industry, but there is also good. I hope this information is helpful too you, and good luck with your decision.
-Steven

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

oscar66 in Cleveland, Ohio

63 months ago

Greg in Columbia, Missouri said: You are all a bunch of whiners. Anyone with decent skills and a desire to learn can and will make a very good living as a flat rate tech. The biggest problem I see is just what I have seen here. A bunch of hens standing around crying about what they cant do. I think you should all quit and go sell hamburgers at mickey d's so that you can find something else to gripe about.

I agree... shut up and work, make some money, or do something else! I have been in and out of this business for the last 15 years, and just landed a great job. Just me and 2 bays! You will not make $30 an hour turning a wrench. If you wanna be a big shot you should have went to college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

I have always made a decent living working on cars, especially Honda's. Career's have good points and bad points. There is no perfect job. I recently read an article where an MIT graduate got laid off has a financial engineer. ( I never even knew there was a financial engineer.) The ironic thing is that i am a Honda tech, and still have a job. Think of being an MIT graduate, one of the most prestigous schools in our nation, and it took him a year to find another job after his lay off. Not to mention an MIT education would most likely put you 300k in debt after college. Not a good situation at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Borislav in Sofia, Bulgaria

63 months ago

Hi I am Borislav and I looking for a job in NY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

estaben in Owego, New York

63 months ago

hey Borislav us techs want to say welcome to america write me i have a job for you i pay 3.25hr + tips although there isnt many tips in the ditch digging trade write me when you get here

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Hi, thank you for the offer - i wll think about it - anyway - i think 3.25hr is too much and i will become a millionaire prety soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

OK.I write you,but given to me your e-mail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Fort Myers, Florida

62 months ago

I graduated UTI in 2004 in the top of my class 4.0 GPA w/perfect attendance and went to Audi Academy. I started working at an Audi dealer in 04 and things were good for about two years then everything went to crap. I was hourly at $16 hr with about 5 hour overtime a week for the first year. Note that I was taking home more than the guy training me at the dealer who also worked more than 40 hours a week at $18 flat rate but sometimes would only make 20 hours a week. I then was forced on $20 flat rate then, $23 for about a year making over 40 hours a week. Everything was good then all the problems started. The dealership decided that they needed more techs and it doesn't cost them money besides benefits, because of flat rate. It just cuts all techs share of work and income and pisses them off. I ended up at the dealership at $27 an hour Audi Master Guild, ASE Master with four years experience. What does all this get you? You get all the crap work and diagnosis jobs because the other guy wont be able to figure it out. I struggled to make 25 hours. The other guy is making $30 and doesn't deserve it and CAN'T DIAGNOSE S***! So he gets all the easy services and he's friends with the service writer, so more easy gravy work! It's all about politics that one guy was right! I never went along with the politics and it got me fired. I would get screwed everyday on the job whether it was how jobs were handed out or not paying me or making me do stuff for free. If you didn't do stuff for free the service writer who hands out all the work would get pissed at you. So then you get more crap work. That's what happened to me so far at that STEALERSHIP! Do not become an auto tech!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Hey Matt, I got screwed alot in Fl. Myself. I moved, however I am looking for a small family owned shop too work at. thing were good here in VA, until all the politics started. I dont think being an auto tech is a bad career, Dealerships however suck. Too much politics, too much wallet flushing, and too much favortism. It is kind of amazing that I am saying this, because I work for Honda. Most of Hondas work is easy. Again however, it is a team system which causes more grief then it is worth. Certain people get more opportunity, and the attitudes of most are really bad. I enjoy being a tech because I love cars. But I would love to work for a small family shop that offers a salary. Take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

AUTOMEDIC in Oakland, California

62 months ago

Your a good man.Keep up the good work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

t_jay in Beaverton, Oregon

62 months ago

WOW if I had read this in 2003 I would have never became a tech. let that be a lesson to all you young bucks thinking about the leap. I graduated UTI with better stats then 99.9% of anyone else I graduated with or even ever met while attending the entire program. went through the whole audi academy B.S. I thought it was supposed to be tough and actually teach me something important. it was about as important as the new model training we get at the dealer. I learned more in a month from my dealer mentor that I worked side by side with for a year then I ever could have possibly learned at audi academy. If you like cars you dont have to spend 30K+. also if you go to a real college you actually can make friends with more than just guys. just be smart and go to a real college. the instructors at UTI are great and noligible but the school is way over priced for what you get. its been almost 4 years and I havent even been able to put a dent in my school loans.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Phil in Rockville, Maryland

62 months ago

Well, I havn't wrote anything for a while here. The dealer I'm at finaly got tired of some of us complaining and all of the helpers got booted. Some went on line to starve with the rest of us (high line dealer suck when no one has money).
Squeaking anywhere from 60 to 75 hrs. every 2 weeks. Looking, but around here (MD)there is no place to go in automotive. Looking at other kind of employment but they have a younger and "cheaper" pool to pick from. Told the old lady she would have to support me for a while. Goverment job. Lucky benifits are very good. Lucky the dealer will let us to side jobs, heard some would not from a friend that may be getting 15 to 20 hrs. weeks. O by the way I hate doing side jobs, had quit years ago. Well if anyone comes up with a better career move let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I have started writing automotive articles for a local newspaper. My first article gets published March 11th. Although this is not a paid position at this time, I am building recogniton as a published writer. As soon as I get a few more "clips" under my belt, I should be able to get some freelance fee's as some extra income. If you have a talent other then wrenching, now is the time to tap into it. Start freelancing, and make new contacts in a different industry. At this moment in time, the job market is tough no matter what you do. Also "dealer babies" as i like to call them, whine about every damn thing under the sun. The politics of an automotive group are shameful, and pushes alot of good people to move on. I love working for Honda, but if i could ever find a "Mom and Pop" that specializes in Asian imports, then off I will go. Also online job hunting no longer works, because you have no face time. Wanna find a job? Then start hitting the pavement. The old fashion way is the best way to get what you are looking for. Now if they could only bring back the 55 Bel-Aire. Good luck to all my fellow techs, and I wish you all well in this difficult time. Take Care.

-Steven R.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

tim in Hinesville, Georgia

62 months ago

Brittany in Merritt Island, Florida said: Hey guys-

How does overtime work for everyone? Does anyone receive time and a half in addition to their flat rate when they go over 40 hours per week? If so, where do you work...dealer, independent shop, etc.?

No if we get overtime we get wrote up 2nd time we get fired

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dave in Bristol, Connecticut

62 months ago

tim in Hinesville, Georgia said: No if we get overtime we get wrote up 2nd time we get fired

no overtime for flatraters if you spend 28 hours to do 65 hours work you get paid 65 hours if you take 65 hours to do 28 hours work well then you either get paid for 28 hours or you get your "garanty" "not the best speller" "to lazy to spell check" rate which ever is more

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Plano, Illinois

62 months ago

I was a Auto Tech for 13 years. I was offered a change in career and became a Forklift Tech for the last 8 years. The Forklift Repair Industry was Great. The Pay was excellent. There was little politics like there was at those Chain stores that paid Hourly plus sales. I could not believe the Back stabbing that went on at those places, not to mention the Customers getting ripped off ! I just got laid off from my Forklift Repair job, the Forklift repair industry died. They have been laying off all over. I have been putting my resume out to Auto Repair shops again. It looks very sad out there. I could never work at a dealer or chain store again. I don't know how they even stay open. The way they pay us should be illegal. I know Plumbers and Electricians that made great money. They didn't have to buy hardly any tools. Now they have nothing either. I have had no replies to my resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

steven

62 months ago

Hang in there Joe. It is tough all over. Luckily as technicians, we are not alone in this tough time. Nobody can get a job no matter what they do. I think America needs to be handed back to the working middle class. The men and women who are happy working keeping a roof over their heads and food on the table. It is time for the greedy executives to go away. How come a school teacher or police man dont get a million dollar a year bonus? They are the ones that actually deserve it. Take Joe, and wish you luck.
-Steven R.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Plano, Illinois

62 months ago

steven said: Hang in there Joe. It is tough all over. Luckily as technicians, we are not alone in this tough time. Nobody can get a job no matter what they do. I think America needs to be handed back to the working middle class. The men and women who are happy working keeping a roof over their heads and food on the table. It is time for the greedy executives to go away. How come a school teacher or police man dont get a million dollar a year bonus? They are the ones that actually deserve it. Take Joe, and wish you luck.
-Steven R.

Thanks Steve, I hope to be working soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kanisaki in Bronx, New York

62 months ago

Hello all, I 'm new to this forum. I have read some of your posts and I do have to agree. This field the automotive industry does suck big time. I learned few things over the years of working. I have 3 ASE certifications and I decided not to expose them anymore for they did me no good but brought me more responsibilities with no extra pay.

Over the years I seen good auto technicians pack their tools and left the industry for good. I'm in my mid 40 now and I would love to find myself a different field. I know is very difficult out there with the way the economy is today. I feel like they have me by the b***s.

I came across a website few months back that really speaks the truth about this industry

www.angrymechanics.com/

Over the years I have seen 100% what what this guy is talking about in his site.

As time goes I will include my stories as well.

Lets hope for a better future

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

steven

62 months ago

Hi Kanasaki, I have a story to tell. I am still turning wrenches, but I have just got published as a writer for some automotive articles I had wrote. Once recieving recognition as a writer, I am now building a portfolio of clips. I plan on hopefully within two more years writing professionally. My point is this, if you have other talents, tap into them. If you can create your own future, you can control it. Network, do some freelancing and keep making contacts. I have been wrtiting for years, and finally got some article published by a hometown newspaper. Its a start, so dont give up. If any of you know of anyone looking for a freelance writer, please drop me a line. I have a portfolio and some contacts. Take Care.
-Steven R

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I did a bit of book design few years back. There are a dime a dozen of book designers out there. I'm still searching.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Over the years I have notice there that there are 2 types of mechanics. One that knows his work and the other that know how to cook the books. Just because a mechanic know to cooks the books does not mean he makes good money.

Over the years I notice 3 types of mechanics that they can make somewhat decent money:

1st. I will say is the ass kisser.. He is the one that rats on everyone, does and does favosr for his boss. So the boss/owener/manager throws him few hours every week.

2nd. is the real auto technician. He is the one that really knows his works from engines to transmission. The only problem with him is, is finding a job that would pay him what he is worth. Some do get lucky.

3rd, as I have seen it and gets top pay is the relative technician. This tech may know few things or nothing at all. He is related to the manager/boss/owner. his bother nephew etc..

If you are just a regular B tech, you better off changing your occupation which I would like to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

steven

62 months ago

Hey Kanaski, it is surley hard out there right now. I have done alright as a tech, I work for honda, and honda seems like the best place to be nowadays. I am hoping to eventually write full time though. I know I have looked into freelance, and everyone is doing that too. I like writing automotive articles for the local newspaper, and I am hoping I can get my on column with at least parttime pay. I like cars, and I like writing. I dont mind being a tech, It is mostly because I have always been passionate about cars. I do think though, that the politics need to stop. Also flate rate promotes fraud, and does not help oour image at all. hanks for listeneing.
-Steve R.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Phil in Germantown, Maryland

62 months ago

Also phil in Rockville, Md. they seem to know where your computer is, work is in Rockville, Md. I have thought about writing just like steven said, but with a small twist. I'm starting a blog about the repairs I do and some of the problems you run into (like the worthless manuals that take you thru 15 pages of test and come to no conclusion. I must say some of the best manual I've seen are Honda. Many a time I just fix the car then read the manual to see how they wanted it done. Big differents in time spent. I'm planning to write about these repairs and then tie them into a Web Store for misc items to sell. Hope this works since I'm very limited of funding for this. Been studying computers for years now and also thinking of getting cerified in that field also.
Kanisaki don't stop getting your cerifications, Just because some shops take advanage of you remember your time will come after the bad times are over. I have everything you can get for auto and for 6.5 years had the dealer pay me at least 40 hrs. a week with anything over that paid also. So there are some good things to say about being a Certified Master. Hard times came and the the money did go away but all good things do come to an end sometime. Just ride, the good times will come back.
This is long and hope it gets read and is not to boring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

steven

62 months ago

Hi Phil, thanks for having a positive attitude. I started freelancing because my two biggest passionsin life have been cars and writing. One day I got smart and said "Gee maybe I should write about cars." I like being tech, but I would like to start getting some freelance pay to supplement my income. Being a tech gives me ideas for my articles, so it kind of goes hand in hand. I know it is hard to be positive at times, because there are way to many politics in automotive. However my articles about cars are mostly positive, and I am trying to be a good voice for the industry. Anyways Phil thanks for listening, and if you need an extra writer for your projects maybe I can help you out.Take care.
Steven R.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kanisaki in Queens, New York

61 months ago

hi there Steven, Phil and all the rest. I once started to write a story Sci-Fi, but I kinda have not gotten back to it for a long time.
One thing I would like to know how does one get his/her book published? From what I hear, having someone read, edit and publish is very difficult. Yet, ten I could be wrong.

One thing I would like to state is that for many years I have worked in small shops: what some might call family owned or mom and pops repair shops. I do like the atmosphere in those shops for they are more down to earth and better quality of work. However they do create a problem for me. For instance, Most of these small mom and pop shops do not provide any benefits and with the high cost of health insurance and medical bills, I can't risk it. Eventhought, I'm in good health, I do not know what's in store tomorrow.

Another thing about small private shops is that they want you to work 6 days a week. They might call it 5 1/2, but when I have to get up on the sixth day to go to work my whole day is shot. The owner will tell you we close 12 pm an Saturdays. Next thing you know is 1:00 and you are bringing in a car to do Brakes.

If I could find a small private shop that would allow me to work 5 days and provide some sort of medical benefits, I would really look into it. I don't mind working on Saturdays as long I have another day off during the week. With only Sunday off, I can not do my arrons.

Well that is all for now
K

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

683 in Keswick, Virginia

61 months ago

hi k, write about what you know. That is the easiest way to get published. Look into sterling publishing, and Barnes and noble. You may get your book on line through them. takje care

steve r

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.