AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICAINS DONT GET PAID WELL !

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 1508)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Borislav in Sofia, Bulgaria

95 months ago

OK.I write you,but given to me your e-mail.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Fort Myers, Florida

95 months ago

I graduated UTI in 2004 in the top of my class 4.0 GPA w/perfect attendance and went to Audi Academy. I started working at an Audi dealer in 04 and things were good for about two years then everything went to crap. I was hourly at $16 hr with about 5 hour overtime a week for the first year. Note that I was taking home more than the guy training me at the dealer who also worked more than 40 hours a week at $18 flat rate but sometimes would only make 20 hours a week. I then was forced on $20 flat rate then, $23 for about a year making over 40 hours a week. Everything was good then all the problems started. The dealership decided that they needed more techs and it doesn't cost them money besides benefits, because of flat rate. It just cuts all techs share of work and income and pisses them off. I ended up at the dealership at $27 an hour Audi Master Guild, ASE Master with four years experience. What does all this get you? You get all the crap work and diagnosis jobs because the other guy wont be able to figure it out. I struggled to make 25 hours. The other guy is making $30 and doesn't deserve it and CAN'T DIAGNOSE S***! So he gets all the easy services and he's friends with the service writer, so more easy gravy work! It's all about politics that one guy was right! I never went along with the politics and it got me fired. I would get screwed everyday on the job whether it was how jobs were handed out or not paying me or making me do stuff for free. If you didn't do stuff for free the service writer who hands out all the work would get pissed at you. So then you get more crap work. That's what happened to me so far at that STEALERSHIP! Do not become an auto tech!

Reply - Report abuse

stevenrdl in Charlottesville, Virginia

95 months ago

Hey Matt, I got screwed alot in Fl. Myself. I moved, however I am looking for a small family owned shop too work at. thing were good here in VA, until all the politics started. I dont think being an auto tech is a bad career, Dealerships however suck. Too much politics, too much wallet flushing, and too much favortism. It is kind of amazing that I am saying this, because I work for Honda. Most of Hondas work is easy. Again however, it is a team system which causes more grief then it is worth. Certain people get more opportunity, and the attitudes of most are really bad. I enjoy being a tech because I love cars. But I would love to work for a small family shop that offers a salary. Take care.

Reply - Report abuse

AUTOMEDIC in Oakland, California

94 months ago

Your a good man.Keep up the good work

Reply - Report abuse

t_jay in Beaverton, Oregon

94 months ago

WOW if I had read this in 2003 I would have never became a tech. let that be a lesson to all you young bucks thinking about the leap. I graduated UTI with better stats then 99.9% of anyone else I graduated with or even ever met while attending the entire program. went through the whole audi academy B.S. I thought it was supposed to be tough and actually teach me something important. it was about as important as the new model training we get at the dealer. I learned more in a month from my dealer mentor that I worked side by side with for a year then I ever could have possibly learned at audi academy. If you like cars you dont have to spend 30K+. also if you go to a real college you actually can make friends with more than just guys. just be smart and go to a real college. the instructors at UTI are great and noligible but the school is way over priced for what you get. its been almost 4 years and I havent even been able to put a dent in my school loans.

Reply - Report abuse

Phil in Rockville, Maryland

94 months ago

Well, I havn't wrote anything for a while here. The dealer I'm at finaly got tired of some of us complaining and all of the helpers got booted. Some went on line to starve with the rest of us (high line dealer suck when no one has money).
Squeaking anywhere from 60 to 75 hrs. every 2 weeks. Looking, but around here (MD)there is no place to go in automotive. Looking at other kind of employment but they have a younger and "cheaper" pool to pick from. Told the old lady she would have to support me for a while. Goverment job. Lucky benifits are very good. Lucky the dealer will let us to side jobs, heard some would not from a friend that may be getting 15 to 20 hrs. weeks. O by the way I hate doing side jobs, had quit years ago. Well if anyone comes up with a better career move let me know.

Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

I have started writing automotive articles for a local newspaper. My first article gets published March 11th. Although this is not a paid position at this time, I am building recogniton as a published writer. As soon as I get a few more "clips" under my belt, I should be able to get some freelance fee's as some extra income. If you have a talent other then wrenching, now is the time to tap into it. Start freelancing, and make new contacts in a different industry. At this moment in time, the job market is tough no matter what you do. Also "dealer babies" as i like to call them, whine about every damn thing under the sun. The politics of an automotive group are shameful, and pushes alot of good people to move on. I love working for Honda, but if i could ever find a "Mom and Pop" that specializes in Asian imports, then off I will go. Also online job hunting no longer works, because you have no face time. Wanna find a job? Then start hitting the pavement. The old fashion way is the best way to get what you are looking for. Now if they could only bring back the 55 Bel-Aire. Good luck to all my fellow techs, and I wish you all well in this difficult time. Take Care.

-Steven R.

Reply - Report abuse

tim in Hinesville, Georgia

94 months ago

Brittany in Merritt Island, Florida said: Hey guys-

How does overtime work for everyone? Does anyone receive time and a half in addition to their flat rate when they go over 40 hours per week? If so, where do you work...dealer, independent shop, etc.?

No if we get overtime we get wrote up 2nd time we get fired

Reply - Report abuse

dave in Bristol, Connecticut

94 months ago

tim in Hinesville, Georgia said: No if we get overtime we get wrote up 2nd time we get fired

no overtime for flatraters if you spend 28 hours to do 65 hours work you get paid 65 hours if you take 65 hours to do 28 hours work well then you either get paid for 28 hours or you get your "garanty" "not the best speller" "to lazy to spell check" rate which ever is more

Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Plano, Illinois

94 months ago

I was a Auto Tech for 13 years. I was offered a change in career and became a Forklift Tech for the last 8 years. The Forklift Repair Industry was Great. The Pay was excellent. There was little politics like there was at those Chain stores that paid Hourly plus sales. I could not believe the Back stabbing that went on at those places, not to mention the Customers getting ripped off ! I just got laid off from my Forklift Repair job, the Forklift repair industry died. They have been laying off all over. I have been putting my resume out to Auto Repair shops again. It looks very sad out there. I could never work at a dealer or chain store again. I don't know how they even stay open. The way they pay us should be illegal. I know Plumbers and Electricians that made great money. They didn't have to buy hardly any tools. Now they have nothing either. I have had no replies to my resume.

Reply - Report abuse

steven

94 months ago

Hang in there Joe. It is tough all over. Luckily as technicians, we are not alone in this tough time. Nobody can get a job no matter what they do. I think America needs to be handed back to the working middle class. The men and women who are happy working keeping a roof over their heads and food on the table. It is time for the greedy executives to go away. How come a school teacher or police man dont get a million dollar a year bonus? They are the ones that actually deserve it. Take Joe, and wish you luck.
-Steven R.

Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Plano, Illinois

94 months ago

steven said: Hang in there Joe. It is tough all over. Luckily as technicians, we are not alone in this tough time. Nobody can get a job no matter what they do. I think America needs to be handed back to the working middle class. The men and women who are happy working keeping a roof over their heads and food on the table. It is time for the greedy executives to go away. How come a school teacher or police man dont get a million dollar a year bonus? They are the ones that actually deserve it. Take Joe, and wish you luck.
-Steven R.

Thanks Steve, I hope to be working soon.

Reply - Report abuse

kanisaki in Bronx, New York

94 months ago

Hello all, I 'm new to this forum. I have read some of your posts and I do have to agree. This field the automotive industry does suck big time. I learned few things over the years of working. I have 3 ASE certifications and I decided not to expose them anymore for they did me no good but brought me more responsibilities with no extra pay.

Over the years I seen good auto technicians pack their tools and left the industry for good. I'm in my mid 40 now and I would love to find myself a different field. I know is very difficult out there with the way the economy is today. I feel like they have me by the b***s.

I came across a website few months back that really speaks the truth about this industry

www.angrymechanics.com/

Over the years I have seen 100% what what this guy is talking about in his site.

As time goes I will include my stories as well.

Lets hope for a better future

Reply - Report abuse

steven

94 months ago

Hi Kanasaki, I have a story to tell. I am still turning wrenches, but I have just got published as a writer for some automotive articles I had wrote. Once recieving recognition as a writer, I am now building a portfolio of clips. I plan on hopefully within two more years writing professionally. My point is this, if you have other talents, tap into them. If you can create your own future, you can control it. Network, do some freelancing and keep making contacts. I have been wrtiting for years, and finally got some article published by a hometown newspaper. Its a start, so dont give up. If any of you know of anyone looking for a freelance writer, please drop me a line. I have a portfolio and some contacts. Take Care.
-Steven R

Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

I did a bit of book design few years back. There are a dime a dozen of book designers out there. I'm still searching.

Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Over the years I have notice there that there are 2 types of mechanics. One that knows his work and the other that know how to cook the books. Just because a mechanic know to cooks the books does not mean he makes good money.

Over the years I notice 3 types of mechanics that they can make somewhat decent money:

1st. I will say is the ass kisser.. He is the one that rats on everyone, does and does favosr for his boss. So the boss/owener/manager throws him few hours every week.

2nd. is the real auto technician. He is the one that really knows his works from engines to transmission. The only problem with him is, is finding a job that would pay him what he is worth. Some do get lucky.

3rd, as I have seen it and gets top pay is the relative technician. This tech may know few things or nothing at all. He is related to the manager/boss/owner. his bother nephew etc..

If you are just a regular B tech, you better off changing your occupation which I would like to do.

Reply - Report abuse

steven

94 months ago

Hey Kanaski, it is surley hard out there right now. I have done alright as a tech, I work for honda, and honda seems like the best place to be nowadays. I am hoping to eventually write full time though. I know I have looked into freelance, and everyone is doing that too. I like writing automotive articles for the local newspaper, and I am hoping I can get my on column with at least parttime pay. I like cars, and I like writing. I dont mind being a tech, It is mostly because I have always been passionate about cars. I do think though, that the politics need to stop. Also flate rate promotes fraud, and does not help oour image at all. hanks for listeneing.
-Steve R.

Reply - Report abuse

Phil in Germantown, Maryland

94 months ago

Also phil in Rockville, Md. they seem to know where your computer is, work is in Rockville, Md. I have thought about writing just like steven said, but with a small twist. I'm starting a blog about the repairs I do and some of the problems you run into (like the worthless manuals that take you thru 15 pages of test and come to no conclusion. I must say some of the best manual I've seen are Honda. Many a time I just fix the car then read the manual to see how they wanted it done. Big differents in time spent. I'm planning to write about these repairs and then tie them into a Web Store for misc items to sell. Hope this works since I'm very limited of funding for this. Been studying computers for years now and also thinking of getting cerified in that field also.
Kanisaki don't stop getting your cerifications, Just because some shops take advanage of you remember your time will come after the bad times are over. I have everything you can get for auto and for 6.5 years had the dealer pay me at least 40 hrs. a week with anything over that paid also. So there are some good things to say about being a Certified Master. Hard times came and the the money did go away but all good things do come to an end sometime. Just ride, the good times will come back.
This is long and hope it gets read and is not to boring.

Reply - Report abuse

steven

94 months ago

Hi Phil, thanks for having a positive attitude. I started freelancing because my two biggest passionsin life have been cars and writing. One day I got smart and said "Gee maybe I should write about cars." I like being tech, but I would like to start getting some freelance pay to supplement my income. Being a tech gives me ideas for my articles, so it kind of goes hand in hand. I know it is hard to be positive at times, because there are way to many politics in automotive. However my articles about cars are mostly positive, and I am trying to be a good voice for the industry. Anyways Phil thanks for listening, and if you need an extra writer for your projects maybe I can help you out.Take care.
Steven R.

Reply - Report abuse

kanisaki in Queens, New York

94 months ago

hi there Steven, Phil and all the rest. I once started to write a story Sci-Fi, but I kinda have not gotten back to it for a long time.
One thing I would like to know how does one get his/her book published? From what I hear, having someone read, edit and publish is very difficult. Yet, ten I could be wrong.

One thing I would like to state is that for many years I have worked in small shops: what some might call family owned or mom and pops repair shops. I do like the atmosphere in those shops for they are more down to earth and better quality of work. However they do create a problem for me. For instance, Most of these small mom and pop shops do not provide any benefits and with the high cost of health insurance and medical bills, I can't risk it. Eventhought, I'm in good health, I do not know what's in store tomorrow.

Another thing about small private shops is that they want you to work 6 days a week. They might call it 5 1/2, but when I have to get up on the sixth day to go to work my whole day is shot. The owner will tell you we close 12 pm an Saturdays. Next thing you know is 1:00 and you are bringing in a car to do Brakes.

If I could find a small private shop that would allow me to work 5 days and provide some sort of medical benefits, I would really look into it. I don't mind working on Saturdays as long I have another day off during the week. With only Sunday off, I can not do my arrons.

Well that is all for now
K

Reply - Report abuse

683 in Keswick, Virginia

94 months ago

hi k, write about what you know. That is the easiest way to get published. Look into sterling publishing, and Barnes and noble. You may get your book on line through them. takje care

steve r

Reply - Report abuse

Reg in Cincinnati, Ohio

93 months ago

John Demper in Guilford, Connecticut said: AUTOMOTIVE TECHS DONT GET PAID WELL ! THEY HAVE BUY 50,000.00 IN TOOLS AND WORK ON HOT ENGINES,GET CUT ,BURNT AND PAID CRAP. THE STARTING PAY IS ABOUT 8.00- 10.00 A HOUR AFTER YOU HAVE A YEAR OF SCHOOL UNDER YOUR BELT. AFTER FIVE TO SEVEN YEARS YOU MAY BE MAKING 17.50 - 19.50 PER FLAT RATE HOUR.IF A BRAKE JOB PAYS TWO HOURS AND YOU DO IT 1 HOUR YOU HAVE DONE WELL.BUT LETS SAY YOU WORK FOR A DEALERSHIP AND HAVE A ENGINE JOB THAT PAYS 8 HOURS UNDER WARRANTY BUT IT TAKE YOU 12 HOURS -YOU JUST WORKED 4 HOURS FOR FREE.ITS FORCES THE TECH TO TAKE SHORT CUTS THAT MAY BE UNSAFE.THINKING ABOUT BEING A AUTOMOTIVE TECH, THINK AGAIN. TRY A PLUMBER AFTER TWO YEARS IN THE FIELD YOU MAKE 30.00 PLUS A HOUR AND ALL YOU NEED IS BUCKET OF TOOLS FOR COUPLE HUNDRED DOLLARS.!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I cant say the same, 27 years as a Mercedes Tech i am $$$ set and ready to retire at 50 years old . Never ripped anybody . just worked hard and i did have my dues. the trick, buy the tools you need only ,study, work into lunch and later when needed. and most of all be trustworthy = cust base returns once you have a name for yourself your gold. i had my own shop as well as working for a dealer made good of both. its really about knowing what your doing.

Reply - Report abuse

estaben in Smithboro, New York

93 months ago

did someone say ed-uma-cation learn learn learn!!!

Reply - Report abuse

683 in Keswick, Virginia

93 months ago

hey reg, nice to see positive for once. I do well at honda, and am generally happy. I did go through a big stage of burn out, and took me a while to come back. However things are starting to look up. My biggest problem with this business really has always been about politics. Take care.

Steve R.

Reply - Report abuse

Reg in Cincinnati, Ohio

93 months ago

that sinks, i wish i could get a guy like you in my independent shop, i payed a guy with 6 years MB exp, 800 week cash for 40 hrs and he quit after 1 1/2 years to be a cook . good help is hard to find but most dealer dont care . I was out with Hip surgery and they gave my bay to a trainee 20 years old, and asked me to work off a drive on ramp, i have 27 years exp master Mercedes tech grossing 15-20 thos every 2 weeks in labor for the dealer.He is hourly and not worth a ship ,they think he will be good by summer,he coulnt fix a go cart let alone a mercedes, so he can have my bay and i will go back to run my own shop .dont put up with dump but try to talk to managment, to fix the problem.alot of problems can be fixed by banging on your s.m. door and calling him on it.if he is a jerk tell him to eat it. but remember anything you can do for someone elce you can do for yourself , and keep the whole hr labor and im sure Audis need fixed all over. i had a guy go to my shop to wack timming belts on serveral times a 500 a pop,
good luck dont settle for less or go on your own, thats my 27years of bullstink .
i sure you can make huge $ with an independent Audi shop.

Reply - Report abuse

Reg in Cincinnati, Ohio

93 months ago

683 in Keswick, Virginia said: hey reg, nice to see positive for once. I do well at honda, and am generally happy. I did go through a big stage of burn out, and took me a while to come back. However things are starting to look up. My biggest problem with this business really has always been about politics. Take care.

Steve R.

Steve that is true , 17 years dealer ,12 my own shop,2 back at the dealer turning big hours at 25 bucks an hour, guess what .i quit, i want my own shop back.to many people an alot of politics and it as good as a dealer gets. all i can say to the younger guys that are good and trying to make their mark is get in you S.M.face and let him know what you want. you will be shocked. alot a times they dont know whats going on and will give in. if not pack up and open a shop across the street that what i did .

Reply - Report abuse

steve in Keswick, Virginia

93 months ago

Thanks reg,I have always had an independent spirit, maybe I will try it one day on my own to. So what do you think of openeing a brake and alignment shop?
Steve

Reply - Report abuse

Reg in Cincinnati, Ohio

93 months ago

Steve i think you can do well ,check and see what the other shops are doing.I am at the point of doing any make or type of vech after all its just a bunch a nuts and bolts, i do know that alot of dealers updated the front end equipment so some sweet deals on used rack can be had. i did aligh and front end work at the MB dealer for about 3 years in the early 90s and it can pay well from a flat rate point a veiw, i see alot of rim and tire damage on lo pro tires and rims so part could be a hit. I felt it was heavy work.i guess i am at the point its the person im dealing with not so much what im doing. but its a great nitch.shure is easy from the point you dont have to bend over the fender and jack your back as much.good luck with you idea i like it. regards Joe

Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

well its a done deal after 15 years I am out of the dealership sector of repair by my choice! found an independent shop that is hourly and they offered a nice hourly figure! the anxiety levels in the flatrate dealership in this economy are a distraction! and I am not looking back

Reply - Report abuse

Reg/ joe

93 months ago

dave in Bristol, Connecticut said: well its a done deal after 15 years I am out of the dealership sector of repair by my choice! found an independent shop that is hourly and they offered a nice hourly figure! the anxiety levels in the flatrate dealership in this are a distraction! and I am not looking back

Good luck Dave ,I myself pick up My tools today, just to see the dip shi% advisor enfourced my choice to quit. Life will be better for you.

Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

good luck to you also and thanks

Reply - Report abuse

683 in Keswick, Virginia

93 months ago

keep on going forward.
-Steve

Reply - Report abuse

iwyl22 in mon, Pennsylvania

93 months ago

You know i have just recently graduated from an automotive school and was always interested in a career working with cars. I have noticed in the time i have looking for a job no place i have looked into is interested in train to make sure i know what i am doing. People dont seem to understand that school only gives you an idea whats out there. In the stae i live in no one wants to do appreniceships either. Is this too much to ask for am i in the wrong field?

Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Plano, Illinois

93 months ago

It sounds as though things haven't changed at all. I remember when I graduated from Wyoming Tech back in 1988. When I came home it was a struggle to find a place that wanted to take me on. I had been placed by the school with a job at a local Ford Dealer. I was totally wet behind the ears, they hardly gave me a chance, I was booted after a week. I guess they expected a Journeyman right out of school. I had to pay my dues and bust tires and change oil for a while. Luckily I worked with some Good Guys that were willing to help me learn. Eventually I was skilled enough to go out into the Cold cruel world of Auto repair. You will just have to keep at it, be sure when you apply that you want to learn all you can. It is tough, because some guys do not want to take the time to help the Young Guys out. It is strange, because these Guys had help when they were young too. They did not start out knowing everything, if they say that they are lying and they know it ! Good Luck !

Reply - Report abuse

wannabe x tech in Waukegan, Illinois

92 months ago

I like this guy it’s a young mans game, give him some time, he will be crying the blues, I started out of high school doing PDI's in a dealer for $8.00 an hour, and that was in 1987, now how much did they start you at? That’s why the industry loves young people; they are easy, now this guy is happy making the same amount a flat rate tech made in 1980 just works hard right? it better than McDonalds, wait until a car needs more than a set of brake pads and all the good techs are gone, there are few good young techs, time and experience is what it takes, over the years I have learned that most techs with less than 6 years can only fix a sandwich holla at me when your skills grow up

Reply - Report abuse

scorpion in San Diego, California

92 months ago

do you guys mean only the auto industry and also the diesel industry are like that?

Reply - Report abuse

robertlanzafame in Syracuse, New York

92 months ago

I agree. I just got let go from a[Good----]store in Vegas. I have been working on autos for 35 yrs. I alwas thought of myself as a good wrench. But like everone there is always some one better. I have seen time when the [othrt Tech] would bump up the problem to make more money from the customer. What ever happened to honesty,I always say If its not good enough for me it's not good enough. Whats up guys don't you like your cars to run righ? Lets get it right the first time.

Reply - Report abuse

Jeanb in Clearwater, Florida

92 months ago

im a 20 year old and going to be attending ptec this august (community college in fl) for the automotive service tech program. i stumbled into this site. i read all the comments and im a little worried about the field. the class is only 11k and it lasts 72 weeks so its no like its a big expense for me with the financial aid and all, i have always loved cars (american V8's for the most part) and have always had an interest in being a mechanic. i do understand that like every career out there being a mechanic has its pros and cons..but do the cons really outweigh the pros?

Reply - Report abuse

BK in Chagrin Falls, Ohio

91 months ago

Here's a bit of advice that will save you a LOT of wasted time, effort and money. I was in the repair business for over 30 years, 25 at GM dealerships. I just got out in January and deeply regret not leaving much sooner. This IS NOT a rewarding career, you will be used, abused and physically/mentally racked, and as the country deteriorates you won't even get a decent paycheck or benefits to compensate you. Check out www.angrymechanics.com for another mechanics view which I also completely agree with plus he saves me the time of a lot of redundant ideas.I would like to add a few things that are not on his site however. If you really like working on cars set up your own shop or do it as a side to another profession.You won't believe it now but it's not that hard to make enough money to live on if you KNOW HOW to manage finances and have some restraint/patience and ingenuity. Learn from others mistakes, know yourself and your limitations and actually think about what you can accomplish realistically to achieve your goals. Look at things from an outside perspective without the emotion(not easy). These are some things you may think of as common sense but when put into practice will be the hardest things you've ever done, especially for someone your age. Yeah I was 20 years old once and I wasted a great part of my life making a lot of money for some jerks that can't see past a bottom line. Good luck

Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

I work on import cars and find it too be a lot better then the domestics. I have a nice home, a savings account, and 2 decent cars. I am by no means rich, and my wife does have a career as well. In my opinion, life is what you make it. You will expirence down times, and there are times when things can seem a little rough. If you dont have a significant other, you may want to look into another profession. However my salary alone at Honda is around 45-50k. With the American cars losing the fight, and your desire to really want to do this, I would recommend imports as a career path.

Keep in my mind that life is what you make it. No matter what you career choice, if you live beyond your means and cant manage your money, then you will have a hard time with any profession. College graduates cant buy a job right now, but they are still looking for expirenced auto techs. To be successful as a technician today, you have to want to really dive into the science of automotive. You have to want to keep learning and stay on top of rapidly changing technology. To most people, it just aint worth the effort.

Reply - Report abuse

Niel in Newark, Delaware

91 months ago

Jeanb in Clearwater, Florida said: im a 20 year old and going to be attending ptec this august (community college in fl) for the automotive service tech program. i stumbled into this site. i read all the comments and im a little worried about the field. the class is only 11k and it lasts 72 weeks so its no like its a big expense for me with the financial aid and all, i have always loved cars (american V8's for the most part) and have always had an interest in being a mechanic. i do understand that like every career out there being a mechanic has its pros and cons..but do the cons really outweigh the pros?

Check this out.this link... you will find some valuable information... here.

www.doityourself.com/stry/technicianshortage

Reply - Report abuse

flatrateslave in Lincoln, California

91 months ago

the chrysler shop i have worked in for 14 years has gone straight to crap. ever since autonation took over. if tou are dumb enough to become a mechanic dont do it at a chrysler dealer (total rip off warranty times) and dont work for autonation regardless of brand.

Reply - Report abuse

ebinny in Schenectady, New York

91 months ago

I have been a Chrysler technician for 12 years. I've worked in Chrysler/Jeep and Dodge dealers. I went to Hudson Valley Community College for the CAP program. For those of you who don't know, CAP is the Chrysler Apprentice Program. I too am throurghly digusted with the automotive business. Thier is truth to the saying that your career is what you make of it. That's very easy to say when times are good. Chrysler's down fall came when it merged with Daimler. Warranty times began to plummit and cheaper and cheaper products kept coming off the assemlebly line. The UAW is not the problem. This the only occupation I know of where the more you know the less you get paid. What does that mean? While corperate training helps you to learn and understand new technology and new products, it also approves you to do more warranty work. Warranty work that pays less (up to 60% less than book time) and does not pay any diagnostic time. That doesn't help when you have a family, two cars and a house. I am currentlly looking for a new career. I will also discourage any of my children from any career automotive related. This industry will never change.

Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

Jeanb in Clearwater, Florida said: im a 20 year old and going to be attending ptec this august (community college in fl) for the automotive service tech program. i stumbled into this site. i read all the comments and im a little worried about the field. the class is only 11k and it lasts 72 weeks so its no like its a big expense for me with the financial aid and all, i have always loved cars (american V8's for the most part) and have always had an interest in being a mechanic. i do understand that like every career out there being a mechanic has its pros and cons..but do the cons really outweigh the pros?

Dude! Don't do it. You're 20 years old find a career that will be useful to you. Working on cars is not a rewarding career. You will find yourself getting fustrated when you get older an have a family and tou can't give them the things you want because the money won't be there. Very few shops are hourly. The flat rate world is not one you wan't to be in. Especially if you get into a dealership. I wish you the best of luck but, as an automotive tech myself I don't recommend getting into this field.

Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

khmtv in Mount Vernon, New York said: My fiance is currently going to school to become an automotive tech and he is very excited. He's changing careers from a CDL truck driver. I understand what all of you are saying and I believe there are many industries that can share similar facts and feelings. One thing I must say, he and I keep a Plan B in place. We're working with a very reputable company from home and we are helping so many people. It might be something that could work for you. Take a look at our web presentation at www.gcvacations.info and get back to us. Send an email to globalconnectionstravel@gmail.com.

Stick to your plan B!

Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

i hear you there are a few guys in my shop that are looking into other careers after years in this buisness.and i couldnt agree more about the training being a bad thing just so you can do more warranty work.

Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

if you love working on cars,doing it for a living at a flatrate shop and espcialy a dealership with a fair amount of warranty work will make you hate it. you think it will be cool until you are chasing some slight little engine noise on a dumpy caravan thinking that it will pay at least the hour diag thats on the ro pnly to find out they have some factory backed service contract and lose the hour diag and put a short block in it for 6 hours of pay!

Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

Another thing that really pisses me off about warranaty work; they don't want to pay diag time for anything anymore. Everybody knows that. Well this is how I see it. We work on cars for a living. Repairing automobiles is our JOB. A JOB is something you get paid for. If it is our JOB to repair automobiles doesn't it make sense that we should get paid for the diagnosis? We don't get out of bed every mornnig and go to WORK to WORK and not get paid. Make sense anyone?

Reply - Report abuse

steven in Baltimore, Maryland

91 months ago

i have come to the conclusion that the auto industry is slowly dying. the dealerships are becoming corporate autogroups run by politicians not car guys. the mom and pop sjops are disappearing because they dont have the money to compete with coporate giants. the really sad thing about this is that going back to colleger to learn a new skill really wont help you either. college degrees have very little pull in the world at this time.
i have come to the conclusion that the best way to predict your future is to create your own.i am going to start my own company and it will not be auto related.

Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

steven in Baltimore, Maryland said: i have come to the conclusion that the auto industry is slowly dying. the dealerships are becoming corporate autogroups run by politicians not car guys. the mom and pop sjops are disappearing because they dont have the money to compete with coporate giants. the really sad thing about this is that going back to colleger to learn a new skill really wont help you either. college degrees have very little pull in the world at this time.
i have come to the conclusion that the best way to predict your future is to create your own.i am going to start my own company and it will not be auto related.

Here here!! I believe the automotive industry has already died and is rotting!!! The rotting stench is flat rate or as I perfer to call it "flat rape." My college degree hasn't helped me one bit yet. I really intend to get out of this business.

Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.