AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICAINS DONT GET PAID WELL !

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 1172)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Reg in Cincinnati, Ohio

64 months ago

John Demper in Guilford, Connecticut said: AUTOMOTIVE TECHS DONT GET PAID WELL ! THEY HAVE BUY 50,000.00 IN TOOLS AND WORK ON HOT ENGINES,GET CUT ,BURNT AND PAID CRAP. THE STARTING PAY IS ABOUT 8.00- 10.00 A HOUR AFTER YOU HAVE A YEAR OF SCHOOL UNDER YOUR BELT. AFTER FIVE TO SEVEN YEARS YOU MAY BE MAKING 17.50 - 19.50 PER FLAT RATE HOUR.IF A BRAKE JOB PAYS TWO HOURS AND YOU DO IT 1 HOUR YOU HAVE DONE WELL.BUT LETS SAY YOU WORK FOR A DEALERSHIP AND HAVE A ENGINE JOB THAT PAYS 8 HOURS UNDER WARRANTY BUT IT TAKE YOU 12 HOURS -YOU JUST WORKED 4 HOURS FOR FREE.ITS FORCES THE TECH TO TAKE SHORT CUTS THAT MAY BE UNSAFE.THINKING ABOUT BEING A AUTOMOTIVE TECH, THINK AGAIN. TRY A PLUMBER AFTER TWO YEARS IN THE FIELD YOU MAKE 30.00 PLUS A HOUR AND ALL YOU NEED IS BUCKET OF TOOLS FOR COUPLE HUNDRED DOLLARS.!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I cant say the same, 27 years as a Mercedes Tech i am $$$ set and ready to retire at 50 years old . Never ripped anybody . just worked hard and i did have my dues. the trick, buy the tools you need only ,study, work into lunch and later when needed. and most of all be trustworthy = cust base returns once you have a name for yourself your gold. i had my own shop as well as working for a dealer made good of both. its really about knowing what your doing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

estaben in Smithboro, New York

64 months ago

did someone say ed-uma-cation learn learn learn!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

683 in Keswick, Virginia

64 months ago

hey reg, nice to see positive for once. I do well at honda, and am generally happy. I did go through a big stage of burn out, and took me a while to come back. However things are starting to look up. My biggest problem with this business really has always been about politics. Take care.

Steve R.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Reg in Cincinnati, Ohio

64 months ago

that sinks, i wish i could get a guy like you in my independent shop, i payed a guy with 6 years MB exp, 800 week cash for 40 hrs and he quit after 1 1/2 years to be a cook . good help is hard to find but most dealer dont care . I was out with Hip surgery and they gave my bay to a trainee 20 years old, and asked me to work off a drive on ramp, i have 27 years exp master Mercedes tech grossing 15-20 thos every 2 weeks in labor for the dealer.He is hourly and not worth a ship ,they think he will be good by summer,he coulnt fix a go cart let alone a mercedes, so he can have my bay and i will go back to run my own shop .dont put up with dump but try to talk to managment, to fix the problem.alot of problems can be fixed by banging on your s.m. door and calling him on it.if he is a jerk tell him to eat it. but remember anything you can do for someone elce you can do for yourself , and keep the whole hr labor and im sure Audis need fixed all over. i had a guy go to my shop to wack timming belts on serveral times a 500 a pop,
good luck dont settle for less or go on your own, thats my 27years of bullstink .
i sure you can make huge $ with an independent Audi shop.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Reg in Cincinnati, Ohio

64 months ago

683 in Keswick, Virginia said: hey reg, nice to see positive for once. I do well at honda, and am generally happy. I did go through a big stage of burn out, and took me a while to come back. However things are starting to look up. My biggest problem with this business really has always been about politics. Take care.

Steve R.

Steve that is true , 17 years dealer ,12 my own shop,2 back at the dealer turning big hours at 25 bucks an hour, guess what .i quit, i want my own shop back.to many people an alot of politics and it as good as a dealer gets. all i can say to the younger guys that are good and trying to make their mark is get in you S.M.face and let him know what you want. you will be shocked. alot a times they dont know whats going on and will give in. if not pack up and open a shop across the street that what i did .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

steve in Keswick, Virginia

64 months ago

Thanks reg,I have always had an independent spirit, maybe I will try it one day on my own to. So what do you think of openeing a brake and alignment shop?
Steve

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Reg in Cincinnati, Ohio

64 months ago

Steve i think you can do well ,check and see what the other shops are doing.I am at the point of doing any make or type of vech after all its just a bunch a nuts and bolts, i do know that alot of dealers updated the front end equipment so some sweet deals on used rack can be had. i did aligh and front end work at the MB dealer for about 3 years in the early 90s and it can pay well from a flat rate point a veiw, i see alot of rim and tire damage on lo pro tires and rims so part could be a hit. I felt it was heavy work.i guess i am at the point its the person im dealing with not so much what im doing. but its a great nitch.shure is easy from the point you dont have to bend over the fender and jack your back as much.good luck with you idea i like it. regards Joe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dave in Bristol, Connecticut

64 months ago

well its a done deal after 15 years I am out of the dealership sector of repair by my choice! found an independent shop that is hourly and they offered a nice hourly figure! the anxiety levels in the flatrate dealership in this economy are a distraction! and I am not looking back

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Reg/ joe

64 months ago

dave in Bristol, Connecticut said: well its a done deal after 15 years I am out of the dealership sector of repair by my choice! found an independent shop that is hourly and they offered a nice hourly figure! the anxiety levels in the flatrate dealership in this are a distraction! and I am not looking back

Good luck Dave ,I myself pick up My tools today, just to see the dip shi% advisor enfourced my choice to quit. Life will be better for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

good luck to you also and thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

683 in Keswick, Virginia

64 months ago

keep on going forward.
-Steve

iwyl22 in mon, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

You know i have just recently graduated from an automotive school and was always interested in a career working with cars. I have noticed in the time i have looking for a job no place i have looked into is interested in train to make sure i know what i am doing. People dont seem to understand that school only gives you an idea whats out there. In the stae i live in no one wants to do appreniceships either. Is this too much to ask for am i in the wrong field?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Plano, Illinois

64 months ago

It sounds as though things haven't changed at all. I remember when I graduated from Wyoming Tech back in 1988. When I came home it was a struggle to find a place that wanted to take me on. I had been placed by the school with a job at a local Ford Dealer. I was totally wet behind the ears, they hardly gave me a chance, I was booted after a week. I guess they expected a Journeyman right out of school. I had to pay my dues and bust tires and change oil for a while. Luckily I worked with some Good Guys that were willing to help me learn. Eventually I was skilled enough to go out into the Cold cruel world of Auto repair. You will just have to keep at it, be sure when you apply that you want to learn all you can. It is tough, because some guys do not want to take the time to help the Young Guys out. It is strange, because these Guys had help when they were young too. They did not start out knowing everything, if they say that they are lying and they know it ! Good Luck !

wannabe x tech in Waukegan, Illinois

63 months ago

I like this guy it’s a young mans game, give him some time, he will be crying the blues, I started out of high school doing PDI's in a dealer for $8.00 an hour, and that was in 1987, now how much did they start you at? That’s why the industry loves young people; they are easy, now this guy is happy making the same amount a flat rate tech made in 1980 just works hard right? it better than McDonalds, wait until a car needs more than a set of brake pads and all the good techs are gone, there are few good young techs, time and experience is what it takes, over the years I have learned that most techs with less than 6 years can only fix a sandwich holla at me when your skills grow up

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

scorpion in San Diego, California

63 months ago

do you guys mean only the auto industry and also the diesel industry are like that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Robert Lanzafame in Syracuse, New York

62 months ago

I agree. I just got let go from a[Good----]store in Vegas. I have been working on autos for 35 yrs. I alwas thought of myself as a good wrench. But like everone there is always some one better. I have seen time when the [othrt Tech] would bump up the problem to make more money from the customer. What ever happened to honesty,I always say If its not good enough for me it's not good enough. Whats up guys don't you like your cars to run righ? Lets get it right the first time.

Jeanb in Clearwater, Florida

62 months ago

im a 20 year old and going to be attending ptec this august (community college in fl) for the automotive service tech program. i stumbled into this site. i read all the comments and im a little worried about the field. the class is only 11k and it lasts 72 weeks so its no like its a big expense for me with the financial aid and all, i have always loved cars (american V8's for the most part) and have always had an interest in being a mechanic. i do understand that like every career out there being a mechanic has its pros and cons..but do the cons really outweigh the pros?

BK in Chagrin Falls, Ohio

62 months ago

Here's a bit of advice that will save you a LOT of wasted time, effort and money. I was in the repair business for over 30 years, 25 at GM dealerships. I just got out in January and deeply regret not leaving much sooner. This IS NOT a rewarding career, you will be used, abused and physically/mentally racked, and as the country deteriorates you won't even get a decent paycheck or benefits to compensate you. Check out www.angrymechanics.com for another mechanics view which I also completely agree with plus he saves me the time of a lot of redundant ideas.I would like to add a few things that are not on his site however. If you really like working on cars set up your own shop or do it as a side to another profession.You won't believe it now but it's not that hard to make enough money to live on if you KNOW HOW to manage finances and have some restraint/patience and ingenuity. Learn from others mistakes, know yourself and your limitations and actually think about what you can accomplish realistically to achieve your goals. Look at things from an outside perspective without the emotion(not easy). These are some things you may think of as common sense but when put into practice will be the hardest things you've ever done, especially for someone your age. Yeah I was 20 years old once and I wasted a great part of my life making a lot of money for some jerks that can't see past a bottom line. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

stevenrdl in Charlottesville, Virginia

62 months ago

I work on import cars and find it too be a lot better then the domestics. I have a nice home, a savings account, and 2 decent cars. I am by no means rich, and my wife does have a career as well. In my opinion, life is what you make it. You will expirence down times, and there are times when things can seem a little rough. If you dont have a significant other, you may want to look into another profession. However my salary alone at Honda is around 45-50k. With the American cars losing the fight, and your desire to really want to do this, I would recommend imports as a career path.

Keep in my mind that life is what you make it. No matter what you career choice, if you live beyond your means and cant manage your money, then you will have a hard time with any profession. College graduates cant buy a job right now, but they are still looking for expirenced auto techs. To be successful as a technician today, you have to want to really dive into the science of automotive. You have to want to keep learning and stay on top of rapidly changing technology. To most people, it just aint worth the effort.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Niel in Newark, Delaware

62 months ago

Jeanb in Clearwater, Florida said: im a 20 year old and going to be attending ptec this august (community college in fl) for the automotive service tech program. i stumbled into this site. i read all the comments and im a little worried about the field. the class is only 11k and it lasts 72 weeks so its no like its a big expense for me with the financial aid and all, i have always loved cars (american V8's for the most part) and have always had an interest in being a mechanic. i do understand that like every career out there being a mechanic has its pros and cons..but do the cons really outweigh the pros?

Check this out.this link... you will find some valuable information... here.

www.doityourself.com/stry/technicianshortage

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

flatrateslave in Lincoln, California

61 months ago

the chrysler shop i have worked in for 14 years has gone straight to crap. ever since autonation took over. if tou are dumb enough to become a mechanic dont do it at a chrysler dealer (total rip off warranty times) and dont work for autonation regardless of brand.

EB in NY in Schenectady, New York

61 months ago

I have been a Chrysler technician for 12 years. I've worked in Chrysler/Jeep and Dodge dealers. I went to Hudson Valley Community College for the CAP program. For those of you who don't know, CAP is the Chrysler Apprentice Program. I too am throurghly digusted with the automotive business. Thier is truth to the saying that your career is what you make of it. That's very easy to say when times are good. Chrysler's down fall came when it merged with Daimler. Warranty times began to plummit and cheaper and cheaper products kept coming off the assemlebly line. The UAW is not the problem. This the only occupation I know of where the more you know the less you get paid. What does that mean? While corperate training helps you to learn and understand new technology and new products, it also approves you to do more warranty work. Warranty work that pays less (up to 60% less than book time) and does not pay any diagnostic time. That doesn't help when you have a family, two cars and a house. I am currentlly looking for a new career. I will also discourage any of my children from any career automotive related. This industry will never change.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Jeanb in Clearwater, Florida said: im a 20 year old and going to be attending ptec this august (community college in fl) for the automotive service tech program. i stumbled into this site. i read all the comments and im a little worried about the field. the class is only 11k and it lasts 72 weeks so its no like its a big expense for me with the financial aid and all, i have always loved cars (american V8's for the most part) and have always had an interest in being a mechanic. i do understand that like every career out there being a mechanic has its pros and cons..but do the cons really outweigh the pros?

Dude! Don't do it. You're 20 years old find a career that will be useful to you. Working on cars is not a rewarding career. You will find yourself getting fustrated when you get older an have a family and tou can't give them the things you want because the money won't be there. Very few shops are hourly. The flat rate world is not one you wan't to be in. Especially if you get into a dealership. I wish you the best of luck but, as an automotive tech myself I don't recommend getting into this field.

61 months ago

khmtv in Mount Vernon, New York said: My fiance is currently going to school to become an automotive tech and he is very excited. He's changing careers from a CDL truck driver. I understand what all of you are saying and I believe there are many industries that can share similar facts and feelings. One thing I must say, he and I keep a Plan B in place. We're working with a very reputable company from home and we are helping so many people. It might be something that could work for you. Take a look at our web presentation at www.gcvacations.info and get back to us. Send an email to globalconnectionstravel@gmail.com.

Stick to your plan B!

61 months ago

i hear you there are a few guys in my shop that are looking into other careers after years in this buisness.and i couldnt agree more about the training being a bad thing just so you can do more warranty work.

61 months ago

if you love working on cars,doing it for a living at a flatrate shop and espcialy a dealership with a fair amount of warranty work will make you hate it. you think it will be cool until you are chasing some slight little engine noise on a dumpy caravan thinking that it will pay at least the hour diag thats on the ro pnly to find out they have some factory backed service contract and lose the hour diag and put a short block in it for 6 hours of pay!

61 months ago

Another thing that really pisses me off about warranaty work; they don't want to pay diag time for anything anymore. Everybody knows that. Well this is how I see it. We work on cars for a living. Repairing automobiles is our JOB. A JOB is something you get paid for. If it is our JOB to repair automobiles doesn't it make sense that we should get paid for the diagnosis? We don't get out of bed every mornnig and go to WORK to WORK and not get paid. Make sense anyone?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

steven in Baltimore, Maryland

61 months ago

i have come to the conclusion that the auto industry is slowly dying. the dealerships are becoming corporate autogroups run by politicians not car guys. the mom and pop sjops are disappearing because they dont have the money to compete with coporate giants. the really sad thing about this is that going back to colleger to learn a new skill really wont help you either. college degrees have very little pull in the world at this time.
i have come to the conclusion that the best way to predict your future is to create your own.i am going to start my own company and it will not be auto related.

61 months ago

steven in Baltimore, Maryland said: i have come to the conclusion that the auto industry is slowly dying. the dealerships are becoming corporate autogroups run by politicians not car guys. the mom and pop sjops are disappearing because they dont have the money to compete with coporate giants. the really sad thing about this is that going back to colleger to learn a new skill really wont help you either. college degrees have very little pull in the world at this time.
i have come to the conclusion that the best way to predict your future is to create your own.i am going to start my own company and it will not be auto related.

Here here!! I believe the automotive industry has already died and is rotting!!! The rotting stench is flat rate or as I perfer to call it "flat rape." My college degree hasn't helped me one bit yet. I really intend to get out of this business.

61 months ago

yeah i hear you but if your service manager is like mine you will be looking for that noise until you finally shotgun something and hope it fixes it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

My service manager can be a pain in the ass however, I make it very clear to my writer and manager that I do not throw parts at cars nor do I work for free.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

well sometimes you got to roll the dice. last pay period i worked 72 hrs got and got paid for 62.ten hours of free labor thanks to no diag time and terrible warranty times.how is this legal?

stevenrdl in Charlottesville, Virginia

61 months ago

People in comissioned sales positions really dont have a fighting chance. Flate rate is an old pay plan that was started way back during the war factories and it no longer works in a modern society. Todays cost of living is very expensive, and every worker should at least get a guranteed salary based on education, skills, and abilities. Flate rate, commission, or however you want to put it, provides very little stability, and in order to plan for your future, you need stability. Flat rate pay is almost like working for yourself, so you may as well start your own company and reap all of the rewards of your hard work. Right now, there is not much anyone can do. A college degree for example wont even get you a job right now unless it is something medical. If you dont want to go to college for medical, or you dont feel ready to launch your own venture, then goverment maybe the other option. The only problem with applying to goverment, is it could take months before you hear anything.

61 months ago

I have come to the conclusion that for me, getting out of the business is only thing that's gonna fix it for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jean

61 months ago

well i have given up on the auto tech idea and im decinding to pursue a web design degree and possibly a computer science degree later on. thank you for the advice and info. :)

61 months ago

Good choice !I wish you luck in your new career.

A. L. in Sun City Center, Florida

61 months ago

All I can say is after 17 years in this business I have watched my pay go steadily downwards year after year for about the last 10 years. Things were good when I got in this but with all the extended warrantys, crappy flat rate times it realy sucks now. I haven't worked in a shop for almost 6 months now and don't ever plan on going back. It's just not worth it. They have taken away our weekends just about everyone works Saturdays now and the new thing is work on National hollidays 4th of July/Labor day/Memorial day come on enough is enough. I AM DONE. anyone looking to get in this lousy field realy think first there are much better choices. I wish is was this bad when iI got in woulda never stayed this long

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

I hear ya' loud and clear, I've been out of the biz since January and don't plan on ever going back.I spent 20 years working in Ohio and another 5 in the "deep south". If you think it's bad for an indigenous tech try being a "Yankee" working with a bad economy and some ignorant Southern hatred thrown in. I was expected to work whenever, for whatever wage they wanted to give and do any job that had to be done.I know I'm off the main subject here but it let me know how bad things can get and what I would eventually be facing as this economy worsens.Sure enough after getting back North the economy continued to dive and so did the paychecks, I said enough is enough, now I just trade stocks, heat with wood, grow and hunt some food and don't even need the side-work to get by.I down sized a LOT to cut expenses so I'll never have to put up with that condescending dealer BS again.I'm not saying everyone should go to these extremes but it worked for me and I was able to adapt even at 50.Now I stay home ,continue to bank money, and just keep my own stuff running, and I'm much,much happier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Yeah you guys have hit the nail on the head. I will be look for a new career from here on out. The extended warranties have really screwed things up. Yes they are supposed to increase sales but, you get people that only want thier free work done and take thier car to quick lube places for maintance. It's all BS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Phil in Gaithersburg, Maryland

61 months ago

weel, has been a little time since I was last here. Hope everyone is finding a new outlook on the automovtive front. A new job. Yes I have seen the warranties take away a good job and make it a bad one. We have a added extra warrant that will go to 8 years and 100,000 all for factory time. Well I just made up some of the skills that "NEW" tech's will need to master if they stay in the bussiness.
Here they are:
Job requirement skills for auto technicians

Be able to read mind: O’yes the noise was at 13.5 miles per hour on Thursday @ 1:15 PM in the rain. O yes I think there was a dog in the road after I went by and heard the yelp. Can you find this. By the way I don’t want to pay for diagnostic time.
Repair order read: noise at low speed.

Have x-ray vision: What do you mean that it could be rod knock, piston slap or just carbon knock. Can’t you tell. Again no diagnostic time paid for.

Must make estimates to the penny.

Must repair cars faster than a speeding bullet.

Must be able to here that clicking noise (rock in the tire), even with the muffler off the car. No I don’t have the money to fix the exhaust.

Must be independently wealthy, to work on factory flat rate time. Of course most after market time is done from the factory time. God help them if they ever really checked to see what the real time was. That the diagnostic took 2.00 hours to replaced the part for .20 hours with included diagnostic, but there was only 15 pages of diagnostic trees to go thru with no conclusion at the end except replace with known good part and retest.

Side bar: Who in there right minds breaks down an hour in to 100’s anyway.

Side bar: After 5 months and the Technician figures out a better way to do the job, they drop a 3.00 hour job down to 1.20 hours because the CEO needs another 1.3 million to not quit, even thought the company lost 23 billion last year.

Hoping to add to this list of skill. If you come up with a addition pls post

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

OK, here's a few winners that I've looked at over the years.I had to make copies of the repair orders so I wouldn't forget the exact phrasing, for every one of these there were hundreds more that I never had a chance to save.
1) engine revs up when driving-comes back down when stopping-seems to do it all the time-advise
2)wipers quit midstream at times-WORSE WHEN RAINING-check and advise
3)scraping noise from under vehicle-customer states may be antenna-advise
4)customer states A/C is inop. when weather is hot-cools when weather is cool-advise
5)check underneath vehicle-while driving in a corn field owner pulled out some of the stalks and a lot of grease was present-advise
You can't make up this stuff! Just add this to all the other BS like doing alignments 3 times because the customer thinks the vehicle pulls right even though you set it to micro-specs, had everyone in the shop test drive it with no problems .... most of the day is spent trying to satisfy the customer and explain geometry to them while you only get paid the hour for the first alignment.And after all that the customer STILL leaves disgruntled thinking that they were ripped off by some stupid grease-monkey.
Of course management says they'll make it up to you.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

danoct in Crown Point, Indiana

61 months ago

You must not be very good.. I know about 3 people that make over $100,000 a year

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Yeah but I don't use a gun when I work..LOL

dis believer in Binghamton, New York

61 months ago

id like to see that 90hrs pay stub 2000$ a week put the pipe down something is distorting your judgement

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

get out! let them pay that newcomer 9.50 an hour find an hourly shop I did! I peaked out at 83k a year 4 years ago in a new car dealer but that came down considerably I made the choice to get out of the dealer in march have I lost my touch not on your life its the economy and do you want to hear the crazy part I enjoy working on cars again I work on all makes and I go home with a little more knowledge every day not the same make everyday and I dont miss those factory recall jobs that pay 2 tenths of an hour

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

danoct in Crown Point, Indiana said: You must not be very good.. I know about 3 people that make over $100,000 a year

Are you for real?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

EB in NY in Schenectady, New York said: Are you for real?!

explain

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

BK in Chagrin Falls, Ohio said: OK, here's a few winners that I've looked at over the years.I had to make copies of the repair orders so I wouldn't forget the exact phrasing, for every one of these there were hundreds more that I never had a chance to save.
1) engine revs up when driving-comes back down when stopping-seems to do it all the time-advise
2)wipers quit midstream at times-WORSE WHEN RAINING-check and advise
3)scraping noise from under vehicle-customer states may be antenna-advise
4)customer states A/C is inop. when weather is hot-cools when weather is cool-advise
5)check underneath vehicle-while driving in a corn field owner pulled out some of the stalks and a lot of grease was present-advise
You can't make up this stuff! Just add this to all the other BS like doing alignments 3 times because the customer thinks the vehicle pulls right even though you set it to micro-specs, had everyone in the shop test drive it with no problems .... most of the day is spent trying to satisfy the customer and explain geometry to them while you only get paid the hour for the first alignment.And after all that the customer STILL leaves disgruntled thinking that they were ripped off by some stupid grease-monkey.
Of course management says they'll make it up to you.....

It's amazing how many problems begin at the desk. Here one you might enjoy. This is going back about five years ago when the Chrysler 300 first came out.
Customer state vehicle pulls left and right. WTF!!! The advisor told ME I didn't know what I was talking about! Unbelievable!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

dave in Bristol, Connecticut said: explain

Explain what?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Josh in Wasilla, Alaska

61 months ago

Sounds like the dealerships r a real pain. Now i think bout my buddys that bought new dodges with the unlimited mileage warrenty and yea...well if u dont pay the techs what they are worth who is really working on ur dodge? I work for a small company and am fairly happy with what i make. i get paid hourly not flat rate. but yea seems like dealerships r no good for work. i have been thinking about leaving and working on the north slope then opening my own shop.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.