AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICAINS DONT GET PAID WELL !

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 1172)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

EB in NY in Schenectady, New York

61 months ago

The lifetime warranty is a joke. I can just see myself doing a set of ball joints and frt axle u joints ten years from now on a 300,000 mile truck. Being that I work in the heart of the rust belt that should be lots of fun!!!! Oh yeah in ten years I'll be well into my forties. Yahoo!!!!! Do you think Chrysler gives extra time for rust? Fat chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Sandwich, Illinois

61 months ago

I think the warranty is only on the power train, not everything else, otherwise they would be in even more trouble than they already are in !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Yes the warranty is only powertrian. Which would cover a alot of stuff. But you know what's gonna happen. We won't see these vehicles until there is a problem. They'll go to quick lube places or indepedant shops for service work and we'll get stuck doing all the warranty sh!@. It's not fair.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

stevenrdl in Charlottesville, Virginia

61 months ago

Greetings my fellow technicians. I for the most part still enjoy working on cars. What I dont enjoy is the politics of big automotive groups. The bickering, backstabbing judgemental pre-madonnas I work with would make any one re-think thier career choice. However, I love cars and I have even written articles about them and that eventually got published.

I would love to put down the wrench and pick up the pen to pursue automotive journalism as a full time career. So why dont I? Because the news papers sold people subscriptions, and then put all their stuff online for free. Add that to a bad economy and people cancelling their subscriptions, and well I am still freelancing for now. They dont have any money.

What I think would fix the technician shortage and retain technicians, is getting rid of flate rate. Flate rate may have been great at one time, but in reality it was actually started way back in the war factories and was not meant to last.

Because of its pay structure, it creates turmoil amongst fellow colleagues, it cause turnover, and well promotes fraud. We are never going to go back to the 55 Belair, todays cars are advanced to a point where constant training is necessary.

I just recently finished my first chapter of my book, and sent it off for a publisher to look at. I would be cool to see it go into production. Until that point in time, I will keep wrenching because that is what I enjoy doing. I do feel however that dealerships are becoming stagnant. What was once run by car guys, are now being run by corporate politicians, CSI reports, and factory reps checking up on their brand names.

Their will never be any easy answers, and my only advice is to look into the independents, start your own shop, or just get out completely.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Like I have said before, getting out is all that will do it for me. Flat rate will never go away because the suits running the dealerships won't let it die. I've never considered an independant shop and at this point it's too late for me. I want out. I used to love cars. Now I could care less. I wish all of you the best of luck in any venture you maybe after. If you still enjoy working on cars good for you. I'm glad someone can profit from it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

jean said: well i have given up on the auto tech idea and im decinding to pursue a web design degree and possibly a computer science degree later on. thank you for the advice and info. :)

Smart move. Best of luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Watch out for IT careers because they can be sent overseas. The good thing about your decision is that with computer and web design training, you may be able to launch your own company. Best of luck to you in your future.

61 months ago

With domestic car companies in trouble, and flate rate making it harder to make a living doing this, the future in this industry is really shaky. It is a hard decision to make. Dont give up what you know, or roll the dice and start over? It is a scary proposition. If you are completely dying, and you are not making any money at all then starting over maybe the best option. Believe it or not, sometimes a new start as scary as it may seem, may wind up being the smartest thing you ever did. The risk? You wont know until you do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

danoct in Crown Point, Indiana

61 months ago

dis believer in Binghamton, New York said: id like to see that 90hrs pay stub 2000$ a week put the pipe down something is distorting your judgement

I'm dead serious.. One Mechanic I know made roughly $120,000 at peak.. They all work at new car dealerships in Chicago.. If you seen the things they own and the money they spend, one would have to be making $100,000 to afford it.

Do a little research and you will see it while it isn't common, it isn't that uncommon... I'm sure with the economy in its current state, they aren't pulling that much in now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dave in Bristol, Connecticut

61 months ago

I can believe it I know a mazda tech that peaked out at 102k 3 years ago it can be done but keep this in mind that guy wasnt doing everything the customer was paying for and also a lot of short cuts taken on repairs ! these shortcuts I have seen and these are ones that I would never think about doing , if some of these customers only knew it would get ugly for all even us honest ones

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

flatrateslave

61 months ago

i dont know about your shop but where i work no one can afford to bring customer pay work to our shop because they have the labor rate at 175 an hour so that the shop can get more from the factory on warranty work since they pay on a percentage of the shop labor rate. so they get all they can from the small amount of cars that come in annd the techs starve doing mostly warranty and losing most upsales to independant shops. you wouldnt even have to shop around, the first place you called would be cheaper. you would probably have a hard time finding a more expensive place.the techs at my shop bring this time after time at meetings but the manager swears we are compettive. and since we are owned by auto nation our manager cant do anything about it anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

flatrateslave

61 months ago

chrysler isnt giving anyone any more time for anything. in fact they recently cut times on all jobs across the board wich is insane since its already impossible to do most jobs in the alotted time. let alone come up on any time like your supposed to be able to on flatrate. also if you and alot of other techs do start getting better at a job and start flagging under and making some money they lower the tim its like getting punished for getting better at your job!what other industry works this way.and how can chrysler just cut all labor times across the board when they are supposedly set by time studies of how long each job takes? they diddnt re-study them they just cut them because they are on hard times.

steve in Plano, Texas

61 months ago

YOU ALL ARE CRAZY ,STOP WORKING AS A BODY MAN AND A MACHANIC ,GO TO SCHOOL AND FIND OTHER WAYS TO MAKE MONEY ,A DAY WILL COME THAT THERE WONT BE ANY ONE TO WORK ON CARS AND THAN THERE WILL BE A DEMAND FOR A MACHANIC AND A BODY MAN THAN YOU CAN ASK WHAT YOU ARE WORTH ,LET ALL THIS COMPANYS GO DOWN FIRST ,THINK HARD ,WHY KILL YOUR SELF FOR THEM ,DONT WHINE ,STOP IT NOW AND YOU WILL GAIN LATER ,LET THIS (M FU ) GO DEAD FIRST .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Chrysler cutting labor times is bulls#!t. Minivan racks used to pay 3.1. Now they pay 2.2! WTF!!!! Another thing that drives down warranty times is people going to school and braging about how they beat warranty times on certain jobs. Thoes instructors here this stuff and go back to thier bosses. They probrably get credit for it. I also agree that it is nearly imposible to get people together to unoinize, no matter how much they complain. Isn't it funny though sometime you'll find the biggest complainers are the ones making the most money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

flatrateslave said: chrysler isnt giving anyone any more time for anything. in fact they recently cut times on all jobs across the board wich is insane since its already impossible to do most jobs in the alotted time. let alone come up on any time like your supposed to be able to on flatrate. also if you and alot of other techs do start getting better at a job and start flagging under and making some money they lower the tim its like getting punished for getting better at your job!what other industry works this way.and how can chrysler just cut all labor times across the board when they are supposedly set by time studies of how long each job takes? they diddnt re-study them they just cut them because they are on hard times.

They cut times because they could. Just remember sh!@ time begets sh!@ work.

61 months ago

The domestic auto makers are a bad bet right now. How do you think you guys would do with an Asian import brand? Until flat rate goes away, the automotive service industry will always be a hard avenue to travel. Flat rate simply causes turmoil, turnover, and promotes fraud. It is an old fashion pay system that no longer works in a modern society. What was once a decent career has been ruined by flat rate, greed, and technology.Cars have become appliances, another gizmo overloaded with crap you just dont need. I once had to remove a rear bumper and replace one of the back up cameras because even with a camera, the customer still hit something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

RMarshall in Mississauga, Ontario

61 months ago

Hello everyone i am 25 i have been in the trade for 5 years i work in a private shop and take home a salary of 40 hors a weeks at $20 a hour. the trade has been good to me i find that if you just go into work with the mindset that i am a good technician and i am valued and you just get to work you will do well you just need to keep a positive attitude.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

BK in Chagrin Falls, Ohio

61 months ago

I needed that, I really did Mr. Marshall. Keep your chin up and just continue the great work up there in Smallville. Someday all techs will develop that positive attitude and things will be just peachy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

You make a good point about how positive attitude can change your enviorment. I think most of these complaints are coming from domestic dealer techs, in which case you have to see their side of it because with the restructuring of Chrysler and GM, Domestic techs are having a hard time at the moment.

Dealerships are very good at promoting politics, and in that kind of enviorment it is sometimes very hard to stay positive. I like the dealership because of all the traininmg that is provided. IT is very hard for a private shop owner to send their technicians to school. They do not have the resources to do so in most cases.

My opinion is this; If you like working on cars, then that is what you should be doing. All jobs have a dark side, but there is nothing worse then being in a job you cannot stand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Josh in Wasilla, Alaska

61 months ago

RMarshall in Mississauga, Ontario said: Hello everyone i am 25 i have been in the trade for 5 years i work in a private shop and take home a salary of 40 hors a weeks at $20 a hour. the trade has been good to me i find that if you just go into work with the mindset that i am a good technician and i am valued and you just get to work you will do well you just need to keep a positive attitude.
Do you get any benifits? Im doin the same as u, 23 in the trade for 3 years at a private shop with 40 hours a week at $20 an hour. All we get is One week paid vacation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Mentor, Ohio

60 months ago

The key to the 2 previous comments that were positive was both of these techs work on salary or hourly. After working in this business for over 30 years ( 27 in dealer), I agree with all of the negative comments on flate rate. The unfortunate fact at the dealers is the more you learn the less you earn.

kev in n.h.

60 months ago

I like this forum and the disappointments are nothing new. I've been in the field for many years,I worked for dealers,independents and chains. The problems will never change until techs unionize like other trades,look at what electricians,plummers,construction trade people make compared to us, the benefits,real retirement pensions,annuities,etc. Organize people! Another thing. A.S.E. is a bunch of crap. They are supposed to be non profit,Ya-right.They came around 25 plus years ago and sold us a line of bull,we all certified and now we all make less money than we used to. Stop giving them this kind of power over the trade, they are becoming a licensing agency and multiple choice tests that cost you time and money is baloney,wise up people and unionize.

iwyl22 in mon, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

Ha i graudauted a trade school for automotive nearly 7 months ago and im still unemployed and looking for a job. I was told that hey go to school and get the paper work haha. I got paper work and both state and emissions licenses and all i get told non stop is you need x amount of years experience. Well how do i get it? I know i dont know a lot and am slow at jobs but i dont have 20 years.. So honistly this field isnt worth all the money i put into my tools and education..

flatrateslave

60 months ago

i agree with this dude.i know people have good and bad things to say about unions and i have never worked in a union shop but right now the dealership has all the power and seems to do whatever they want and that is usually screwing the employee.

flatrateslave

60 months ago

yeah is that true salary and not flatrate because there is a big difference i used to like my job when i was hourly and got paid to do it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

flatrateslave

60 months ago

restructuring or not chrysler has always screwed techs on warranty work.j

60 months ago

I think it is the enviorment of big automotive groups that cause most of these complaints. Big businees groups go into it with the sole purpose of making money. Like all other business owners, there is no reason to go into business unless you plan on making money. Non profits excluded, the flate rate pay system is like working for yourself with the sole purpose of making as much money as possible.

The downside is that even though you control your own paycheck, the automotive service and repair industry makes it very hard to accomplish. You cannot be guaranteed on a daily basis how many hours or how many customers come through you door.

That is why I beleive that if you are going to work on flate rate, then you may as well work for yourself. Because there is no guarantee in that either.

flatrateslave

60 months ago

flatrate would be fine and you could make agood living if warranty work payed right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

tdowler in deerfield, Ohio

60 months ago

ive worked for independents, large chains, small chains and 1 dealer(land rover) and in my 15 years in the business my favorite job was at the land rover dealer but politics/drama had me looking elsewhere so now im back at a chain store with enough to pay bills but not much else. i still love the work the challenge and the sense of pride i get when repairing a vehicle, but im tired of my bosses wanting to flush everything out! id rather fix whats broke first then worry about routine maintenence! i think theyd rather have all of the customers money at once instead of servicing the customer correctly.

Steven Redlon in Orange, Virginia

60 months ago

I just interviewed for a service writer job. I had enough of the flush game, flat rate, and all the politics and drama within the honda dealership I work for. If you are not part of the click forget it. I like people and will probaly do very well as a writer.

It is sad that I am going to have leave who I work for, but they are without a doubt on of the most miserable places I have ever worked.

Tom in Cliffside Park, New Jersey

60 months ago

I tried the college thing for a year, did well but wanted to start my career asap so i could buy that dream house and my toys that i always wanted. At the age of 20 I decided to go to LT inst in mahway nj. Boy was that a mistake. Yea i learned about cars but going to school with a bunch of car thefts from the city is a joke. 20grand later i ended up in a job with benz starting at 10/hr. Boy did my manager liked me after i got the hang of it. knocking out 50hrs a week on flatrate at 14/hr. I was getting beat on by the other techs for taking all of there "gravy" but i didnt care at the time i was young and money hungry. now at the age of 25 im getting 21/hr working on cars that cost average off 100k. Im experianced as if i been there over 10 years. Its sad to say that i know more then my forman. To make a long story short Im tired of the abuse for working hard and getting paid horrible. Theres guys that been there for 25yrs plus getting over 80k/yr and cant fix anything. All day dealing with the idiot service advisors that dont even know what a glow plug is and getting over 100k yr ITS A JOKE! At the age of 25 i can feel a mental breakdown coming and i need to figure something out. WORKING FOR MB IS ABUSE! If your gonna work in the automotive buisness its better off if its your own shop. Trust me working around idiots that get paid more then you will drive you insane. Hope this helps anybody

Joe in Sandwich, Illinois

60 months ago

Sounds like you need to become a service Advisor! I had no idea they made 100k a year, why does a Benz dealer pay them that much? They don't know anything, at least you could talk to the customer. Not to mention, steer the Tech in the right direction.

Tom in Cliffside Park, New Jersey

60 months ago

Steven Redlon in Orange, Virginia said: I just interviewed for a service writer job. I had enough of the flush game, flat rate, and all the politics and drama within the honda dealership I work for. If you are not part of the click forget it. I like people and will probaly do very well as a writer.

It is sad that I am going to have leave who I work for, but they are without a doubt on of the most miserable places I have ever worked.

what dealer? and how much better was the pay for a advisor

flatrateslave in Lincoln, California

60 months ago

yeah a kid at my shop just recently switched from a tech to a writer and his secod check was as much as mine and im a journeyman tech of 14 years. this kid came out of uti and in no way could he cut it as a tech,he even screwed up his own car when he worked on it and he changes to a writer and is making the same money as me.this is a testament to how insane this buisness is.not that dealing with the public isnt work but is the customer there to have someone make them feel good or to get their car fixed? the techs deserve a bigger cut.if your car comes in on the hook no amount of service writer schmoozing is going to make your car run so hire a kid from jack in the box to take these peoples orders and pay the techs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

K.L. in Davenport, Florida

60 months ago

flatrateslave in Lincoln, California said: yeah a kid at my shop just recently switched from a tech to a writer and his secod check was as much as mine and im a journeyman tech of 14 years. this kid came out of uti and in no way could he cut it as a tech,he even screwed up his own car when he worked on it and he changes to a writer and is making the same money as me.this is a testament to how insane this buisness is.not that dealing with the public isnt work but is the customer there to have someone make them feel good or to get their car fixed? the techs deserve a bigger cut.if your car comes in on the hook no amount of service writer schmoozing is going to make your car run so hire a kid from jack in the box to take these peoples orders and pay the techs.

Not to mention they sit in the ac or heated room all day(most of them), dont have to buy tools,very little training,go home clean,don't have to work on that car for free that has a noise in the back wheel ever since you put that battery in for them and then get taken care of on X-mas from them customers that you did little favors for all year.

Auto tech is a effin looser job (used to be good but thoes days are long past). Im doing all I can to never roll my box into another shop again.

K.L.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

I myself had enough, and I am a guy who really used to love cars. I am moving on to a service writer position myself, but as a former tech, I realize the importance of keeping techs paid fairly on every job so they to can make a living. The downside to being a writer, is that I to have a boss, and what I am authorized to do for my techs is decided mostly by them. I cant give something away, but because the auto business is a retail business, customer satisfaction is as important to us as it is to wal-mart.

Through my career, I have done everything from an oil change, to r and r a transmission, to selling tires and wheels at one point. I have ase, vsi inspector license, and some factory training awards from honda. I am so burned out from being a tech right now, I am leaving honda and going to become service writer.

Honda is probably one of the easiest gigs you can have as a tech, and the business has gotten so crazy, That not even honda can fuel my desire to remain a tech.

MOC cars to death, chasing noises that only pay a few tenths because of warranty, and I dont think I have ever met a tech that was happy. I was at one time, but not no more.

As technology increases future techs are going to need computer degrees to figure things out. I knew it was time to get out as soon as I read about the Chevy Volt. I just hope that there are techs being trained to fix it.

kharon2012 in Cary, North Carolina

60 months ago

I read most of the postings and must say that not only was alot said but alot went unsaid.I myself have been
in the automotive business;Service Manager,writer/advisor,tire sales and technician,I have been a technician
for the majority of the 22 years.Flat rate pay is not only a rip off for the customer but for the technician as well.The manufacturer is also losing on flat rate because of working conditions.I am sure all of people
that have posted here are familiar with rushed working conditions you know the old failure to plan.I cannot
count the number of times I have had customers waiting for cars with some electronic mystery illness and have the service advisor or manager giving me #$@! about how long.This turns into buy backs under lemon law
dissatisfied customers and bad csi because of no problem found to get the car out the door and the front end off your back,unnecessary repairs just to say something was done and get the front house off your back and lets not forget whatever it takes to get the car off the lot before I lose my paycheck.I have tried many times to talk to management about creating an environment where quality work can be done without breaking the
technician.I have explained that if I am 45 minutes to an hour into diagnosing a concern and have no clue tsb
campaign etc my stress level over losing my *&^ completely hampers my skills.I have said many times that no matter how knowlegeable or good a technician is there is always that one car out there that will eat your lunch,most of the time because you have somebody dogging you about how long or because you are doing the diag for next to nothing.I could go on and on but from what I have read here you guys know what I am talking about.HERE IS THE QUESTION,What are we going [and when I say WE,I mean ;manufacturer,tech,consumer(dealers are making BANK)]to do.In my opinion the flate rate system needs to be outlawed.Who would want a physician to diagnose and treat you based on flat rate?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Sorry I ran out of space.We have UTI turning out techs like a puppy mill(no disrespect)when they arrive at
the dealership they have a guaranteed pay rate and the old salts the guys that learned through experience hard work and studying after work are expected to teach them how to fix a car.That way when they go on flat rate they can compete with us for the work and often time because they are green and getting paid at a lower flat rate get better work(gravy)and the experienced tech with scars and various other war wounds get pounded with the worst of the worst you know because YOU can fix it.My problem is this we get punked at every turn:bad information from service advisors and customers,goodwilled work,free because you misdiagnosed concern that you got bad information on,under paid warranty work,and lets not forget that all the while you are developing carpal tunnel,lost feeling in your hands,damaged joints wrist elbows knees,but the dealership loads the service floor so that no matter what they make money,screw the customer,the manufacturer,the tech.Break my body take time away from my family to FINISH the job,stress about broken cars that don't belong to you,train new guys to take your paycheck and don't forget to polish the right spot.I WANT A COALITION,I WANT SOLIDARITY,I WANT EVERYONE TO SEE IT IS A LOSE LOSE LOSEE LOSE SYSTEM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

steven in Orange, Virginia

60 months ago

This is what I am trying to accomplish with my start up called CARS. Cars stands for "Consumer Automotive Research Society." It was derived as side project to try and bring the consumers and the automotive industry professionals together and discuss the problems and solutions, that may make it better again for everybody. It is a new twist on the social networking sites, because I am trying to do more of a public relations format. Although some of the site is still under development, check it out at http//:cars.community.officelive.com

Let me know what you all think and any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also this project is funded privately, and I am not here to sell something. IT is designed as non profit to try and support the automotive industry and educate the consumer on why things are the way they are.

I am trying to bridge the communication gap between customer and technician so both parties can better understand each other and by doing this, hopefully consumer confidence will return to the automtoive sector.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

I appreciate what is being said and I understand that many believe that improving the relationship between consumer and technician is a great benefit.One thing that is not understood is that you cannot do this and get paid on flat rate.Service advisor are paid to interface with the customer and your job is to fix the car.
If you spend your time talking with the customer then you are going broke,get it!I understand that talking to customers has to happen but why is there no emphasis on the quality of a service advisor that gets a base pay rate plus commisions.It seems to me that perhaps technicians are held to a standard of perfection,blamed
for unsuccessful repair attempts based on bad information and the advisor(face man) takes credit when things go well and throws tou under the bus when they don't.The dealers are making a handsome profit and with flat rate will continue to do so.They don't care if you turn 20,30,40 or 0 hours as long as the shop as whole turns out 400,500,600 hours a week they get theirs even if you lost your shirt.And since we are on advisors lets don't forget to kiss their behinds so you can work on something besides junk.I am sure all of you reading here have for whatever reason dealt with a service advisor that didn't mind letting you know who is boss.I'm sorry any way you slice there is no respect for seniority with the new kids coming in,they use you up break your body and kick you to the curb.How about a split pay system,base pay plus a performance bonus
did that way back when with western auto made good money always got a check and they had to keep me busy and profitable so as to get there money out of me.When a business has nothing invested they don't care,go sleep on top of your tool box won't cost them a dime,somebody else will be happy and turn your hours for you too.

t_jay in Beaverton, Oregon

59 months ago

WOW kharon2012 in Cary, North Carolina YOU ARE GOOD!! there are so many techs that want change me included. But those in the real position for change have no real reason to care and the managers that could make the change think it would cost them so they don't or they lack the balls, they have never been there. I like fixing cars but flatrate is not worth it ever. even on those amazing days that bring in 16 plus hours it never really makes up for the losses or even covers the rest of the pay period or the late hours it takes, or the years off our lives etc on and on. due to this I want out of this world of being pissed off at home but I can't come up with another career that I could even imagine doing atleast without going to college again. I havent finished paying off the first time around. Every time I imagine a better career I think that having my own shop would be best but I came from a family business of cabinets and know it takes a toll too owning your own. then I see idiots at jobs like banks, postal services, anything with A/C, accounting, writers, GOV jobs, whatever etc that make more money than me consistantly and I think to my self "are you f***in kidin me!!!!!!" I dream of meeting that UTI rep that lured me into this and you know what would ahppen next.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

I am sure that there are a multitude of technicians out there that want change,early 2000 I had told a co worker that I hoped that with the changes in technology that by the end of the decade technicians would gain more respect and be paid and treated accordingly.Man was I wrong.I cannot emphasize enough how big a role the dealer coalition plays in blocking progress and change in this industry.They can work us for a small percentage of what they charge,blame us,dictate work schedule and conditions(this list could go on and on)the
thrust of my statement is this right now they keep a great big chunk of money off our busted knuckles and
they are not going to willingly give up a percentage point of profit to pay the guys that make the money machine go.I have watched so many reoports on the economy in the last 12 months and one thing holds true,the
overloaded overpaid management/executive structure TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN!and the government and the law reward them with a cash handout from the people they stole from.I call for a union or coalition of technicians to protect us from the greed.The general manager of the dealer that I work for is knocking down
a cool 7 figure salary,I don't have a problem with success or being payed well,but don't forget where that pay check comes from and don't turn your back on them for a .5% net profit.I don't believe anyone should get paid so much that the lose focus and lack incentive.It's kind a like the movie wallstreet,how many boats can they ski behind,how many cars can they drive?Calling for technicians that get my point don't like alot of the union crap but I sure do like not being in the position where I have to worry and strees everyday in a right to work stste

steve in Plano, Texas

59 months ago

all the managers are the kisses and the technicians are the same ,they think that managers like them but they only like them for there pay check you make them ,quit this job and go do some thing where you grow and then the company ,right now all of you guys are making the company grow and to hell with you ,who cares about u , no one ,so remember guys you all are nothing ,one mistake ,get screwed and some one takes your place ,dont waste your life time with this dirty people ,make use of your life ,dont kill your self every day ,let them do there job themself or close the shop but you can do better .

steve in Plano, Texas

59 months ago

iam a body man and have my car in a body shop to do repair and paint the whole car ,watch guys how i will make this shop cry and i will pin point each and every thing ,the owner has to spend more money on my car than wat he thought he was going to make .

59 months ago

Yes quit the job and do something more productive,I am 45 years old and one thing that I believe is this,we
technicians that have been there have an obligation to the coming generations,we can walk away but someone else will be found to fill that spot and the problems will be theirs,I submit that we should work for change and progress.The automotive repair business will be there for years to come and rather than walk away and let someone else inherit the problems is not satifactory,why not pick a place a time or a venue and make a stand for change!I am listening and others are as well everyone take a moment and lets figure how to move forward.One day one of our children may choose this field of work and I would like to leave them something more than what I found

59 months ago

Technicians be aware that there is a website where you can compose one e-mail and have it sent to all your government officials state and federal,I will include with my next post,not necessarily the answer but it is someplace to start

steve in Plano, Texas

59 months ago

just by winning nothing will happen ,iam a 41 years old and i have already gone from this industry ,think about your self ,not your children ,teach them something good and send them to school to do some thing where they can make money and live a good life not to make some one else happy and fill there pockets ,if every tech sit down and think hard you will find a way ,i had a broken hip ,got my hip replaced but who cares ,no one only affects me so now iam goint to school to do HVAC ,after school iwill be able to work for my self ,because this job is all around the year ,think hard guys

steve in Plano, Texas

59 months ago

NO WILL LISTERN BROTHER ,JUST KEEP MOVING FORWARD

59 months ago

Children don't always do what you teach,and frequently don't learn from your mistakes so hoping they won't end up a technician may be a happy thought but no guarantee.USA.gov gives info for contacting your elected officials.We can B%^$& about forever and technicians are stereotyped as B&^%$ artists lets do something
productive.I am sure that everyone understands that waiting for someone else gets nothing done but gives rise to more of the wrong kinds of changes.Let's find our stones and fix this broken vehicle,that is what we do!Good luck with new careers

59 months ago

To no one will listen,it appears that there are alot of technicians beside myself listening here,there is
plenty of light it just needs to be focused and on the right place.There have been so many groups out there that no one ever thought would have the traction they have today but they got organized and focused and now
hold a very powerful and effective tool for change that considers their best interest.So lets not forget
success comes in cans corny but true.I can find a thousand reasons not to do anything and B%^$& about it everyday,but we all see where that has gotten us,they don't listen to the B#$%^ing but an organization with
focus and a respectable well planned agenda is another matter.Lets not forget there are alot of unhappy consumers out there that don't understand or know what is going on or for that matter how we get payed to repair their vehicles.I am absolutely positive they will have input to support a more productive and accountable system

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.