Automotive repair field worth it or not and if not what would you recommend

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

viper03 in Elyria, Ohio

27 months ago

Okay well im a senior in high school going to a vocational school for automotive technology. I am just wondering if all of it turns out to be worth it in the end. I mean i like working on cars its just if the amount of money spent on tools,training and hell college isn't going to pay off whats the point? if anybody knows a good field to go into if this isn't good please LET ME KNOW :D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Burnout in San Diego, California

27 months ago

You better love cars not just like them.
25 years and I'm going into Law Enforcement, Tired of crap owners, no benefit
Independent shops and low pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

viper03 in Elyria, Ohio

27 months ago

Burnout in San Diego, California said: You better love cars not just like them.
25 years and I'm going into Law Enforcement, Tired of crap owners, no benefit
Independent shops and low pay.

I was thinking about going into law enforcement because ive been looking up on the internet about the automotive field and even my last boss told me to run

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Burnout in San Diego, California

27 months ago

Viper,I should of done it years ago,but I was making 60 grand a year for 10 years,
so I went with the flow. I'm 40 now with nothing to show for it after 25 years of working my butt off. There is definitely places that will take care of you but if you end up in an independent like I did that went out of business you could be left out in the dark.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

viper03 in Elyria, Ohio

27 months ago

Burnout in San Diego, California said: Viper,I should of done it years ago,but I was making 60 grand a year for 10 years,
so I went with the flow. I'm 40 now with nothing to show for it after 25 years of working my butt off. There is definitely places that will take care of you but if you end up in an independent like I did that went out of business you could be left out in the dark.

well ive been working in an independent shop and honestly the hours were horrible and he didnt really know how to run a business and i was stuck at 7.80/hr when i was supposed to get a raise after 1 month of working there. But honestly should i get into the field like will it pay off in the end?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Burnout in San Diego, California

27 months ago

In my case it has not. It depends. If you can settle down at a place that will take
care of you it can be very rewarding. I know a lot of guys who hate dealers ,but love the benefits. I myself do not like dealers,but they may be one of the few places that offer benefits. My advice is to find a stable company that will invest in you. I worked way too
long for a company that had few benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

viper03 in Elyria, Ohio

27 months ago

Burnout in San Diego, California said: In my case it has not. It depends. If you can settle down at a place that will take
care of you it can be very rewarding. I know a lot of guys who hate dealers ,but love the benefits. I myself do not like dealers,but they may be one of the few places that offer benefits. My advice is to find a stable company that will invest in you. I worked way too
long for a company that had few benefits.

well i appreciate your input. Im not really sure what to do at this point. time will tell what i should do. I mean this thing says the average tech makes 37000 and i mean a trash collector makes like 50000 so i mean i thought about law enforcement just not sure what all i need to do besides police academy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Burnout in San Diego, California

27 months ago

Here's a link on here that may help you get some advice on becoming a LEO

www.indeed.com/forum/job/police-officer.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Ro in Glen Head, New York

24 months ago

viper03 in Elyria, Ohio said: Okay well im a senior in high school going to a vocational school for automotive technology. I am just wondering if all of it turns out to be worth it in the end. I mean i like working on cars its just if the amount of money spent on tools,training and hell college isn't going to pay off whats the point? if anybody knows a good field to go into if this isn't good please LET ME KNOW :D

Becoming a mechanic is a great profession to pursue while unemployment rate is high. I recently just did some research and wrote an article about how to get into the mechanic field. The main piece of advice i would give is to get a ASE certification.
Just check out www.collegecomplete.com/how-to-get-under-the-hood.html if you wana check out my article about how to become a mechanic..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Honey Brook, Pennsylvania

11 months ago

viper03 in Elyria, Ohio said: Okay well im a senior in high school going to a vocational school for automotive technology. I am just wondering if all of it turns out to be worth it in the end. I mean i like working on cars its just if the amount of money spent on tools,training and hell college isn't going to pay off whats the point? if anybody knows a good field to go into if this isn't good please LET ME KNOW :D

Viper, whatever you do, don't blow money at a nation wide school like UTI (Universal Technical Institute). They train too fast and all they care about is $$$$$. Go to a Community College. Also, ask the college if they have manufacturers stop by for seminars. If you want to make money in the field, you have to become certified as a tech for a specific manufacturer (Audi, Mercedes, Chevrolet, Dodge, etc.)
Working at a dealership is where the money is, not local garages.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.