tire installer for a self-taught new graduate

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

George in Walnut Creek, California

39 months ago

I need a job as quickly as possible and have an interview coming up next week for a tire installer job. Although I enjoy working on my car, helped friends fix their cars, and have great mechanical aptitude, I have never done anything professionally in this field at all. I didn't even take auto shop in high school. I want to know if I have a chance at this. If so, what are the skills necessary for the job and field? Replacing tires doesn't seem all that difficult from what I've seen and done before.

About me, I graduated from a university near the top of my class in history, but my father was an engineer and taught me all about mechanical and electrical stuff. He got laid off recently and then some uninsured driver hit him and he can't work, so I need to do something. I've worked on an assembly line to help pay for college and love working with tools and building and tinkering with stuff. Although not related to cars, I helped another friend restore an original 1914 M1911 pistol after learning how they work myself from the internet. I can learn stuff really quickly including equipment and computer stuff.

A lot of things go wrong in life; it's what we do with it that matters. I went to college so I could get into law school. But right now, I don't care much for pay, status, or work conditions. I just want the job (or any job to be honest. I even registered at the day labor center and it's packed full around here!). If you have any ideas or suggestions on how I can handle this, please let me know. I don't want to join the military right now as I want to help take care of my father.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

klagmire in Fenton, Michigan

33 months ago

George in Walnut Creek, California said: I need a job as quickly as possible and have an interview coming up next week for a tire installer job. Although I enjoy working on my car, helped friends fix their cars, and have great mechanical aptitude, I have never done anything professionally in this field at all. I didn't even take auto shop in high school. I want to know if I have a chance at this. If so, what are the skills necessary for the job and field? Replacing tires doesn't seem all that difficult from what I've seen and done before.

About me, I graduated from a university near the top of my class in history, but my father was an engineer and taught me all about mechanical and electrical stuff. He got laid off recently and then some uninsured driver hit him and he can't work, so I need to do something. I've worked on an assembly line to help pay for college and love working with tools and building and tinkering with stuff. Although not related to cars, I helped another friend restore an original 1914 M1911 pistol after learning how they work myself from the internet. I can learn stuff really quickly including equipment and computer stuff.

A lot of things go wrong in life; it's what we do with it that matters. I went to college so I could get into law school. But right now, I don't care much for pay, status, or work conditions. I just want the job (or any job to be honest. I even registered at the day labor center and it's packed full around here!). If you have any ideas or suggestions on how I can handle this, please let me know. I don't want to join the military right now as I want to help take care of my father.

Thanks

Doing tires all day is more back braking work than say "shoveling" or maybe "roofing" all day. If you dont mind comming home sore and tired everyday for low pay, that could be the job for you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.