Do you think i'm qualified to be a bank teller? your opinion..

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Emily Dublin in Saint Petersburg, Florida

67 months ago

ok thanks alot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

sunshine in Stockbridge, Georgia

67 months ago

Emily Dublin in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: Hi, I've currently been seeking bank teller job positions in the St.Petersburg area. I've applied to 3 banks so far as of yesterday and I'm waiting on a call back. But I would just like to get an opinion on whether or not you think a bank would view me as "qualified" or "not" to be a bank teller.

When reviewing the application process, I noticed they rely heavily on whether you've handled money before. I've held 3 part time jobs where I was a cashier and now I'm an office assistant at a job where I not only handle money but I make bank deposits and have access to safes with very large amounts of money. I use money counting machines and computers all shift long. But all the jobs I have held have been minimum wage. And I'm also only 18 years old. I feel that I am qualified, but do you believe that because I've only made minimum wage that they wouldn't want to give me such a higher paying job? Or that they feel maybe I might be too young for the position?

I am currently a college student and the little hours would be great. I really want this job. So.. now i'll just wait and see if i'll get a reply soon. But while i wait, I would like to hear what maybe a Bank Manager, Supervisor or anyone would have to say about whether they would think I'm qualified or not.. Thanks!

find a job in a grocery store...you do NOT want to be a teller...especially for Wachovia. They will take over your life...hard to get days off..work on saturday and they tell you how to make up the time...plus you'll become a marketing rep for them. they expect you to talk to customers until they agree to more products ...ie: credit cards that no one needs..it's a stressful environment. run...run fast !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Emily Dublin in Saint Petersburg, Florida

67 months ago

i've done grocery stores & they are far worse. im sort of trying to STEP AWAY FROM MINUMUM WAGE! im a hard worker & i'll do what i have to do to get the job done. i just want to know whether or not a bank would view me as qualified. i've already made up my mind that i want to purse being a bank teller.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Teller to Manager in 10 yrs. in Gloucester, Virginia

67 months ago

Hi Emily,

I have worked at a community bank for just over ten years now. I started out as a part time Teller and worked my way up to Teller Supervisor, Service Representative and now I am an Assistant Manager at one of our busiest branches. It is important to note that I have only one year of college education.

When I first started, I thought of it as an upgrade from the grocery store/gas station jobs with the better dress and not handling food. I have seem many, many success stories of people that started as a Teller and worked their way up to top positions. Also, the exposure to professionals in your area is great. Meaning that I have seen many people leave the Bank to go work for our customers, such as lawyers, doctors, etc. further advancing their careers.

Most banks have great benefits including tuition reimbursement for classes related to banking. My advice would be to start as a Teller and see if you develop a passion for banking. The Colorado response is correct in that you will be responsible for way more than you are paid to do and it can easily become your life.

I think it is a great experience to have as long as you can talk to strangers comfortably and don't mind having sales goals.

The biggest problem I see in banking is that eventually your pay will cap out and banking, unless you are in Senior Management, does not generally make you rich.

If you have any more specific questions, just let me know.

Take Care!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nikkicau09 in Macon, Georgia

67 months ago

HELLO,I HAVE A MEET AND GREET WITH ONE OF THE REGIONAL DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THAT WILL BE LIKE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Emily Dublin in Saint Petersburg, Florida

67 months ago

Teller to Manager in 10 yrs. in Gloucester, Virginia said: And yes, Emily, you are qualified for an entry level position because of your cash handling experience. When I interview potential candidates, particularly from your age group, I am looking for cash handling experience, professionalism (in dress and behavior), and a serious nature. You are dealing with people's lives and money so you must respect the position. Also, we want you to be of a cautious nature in regards to compliance with policies/procedures and bank safety- we can never deny the threat of robbery, anytime and anywhere.

thanks. i really appreciate the feedback.. it's really helpful. well it's been maybe a week or so since i've applied. is there anything that i can do to make myself stand out? should i call and ask the status of my application? or should i just sit and wait for them to call me? every job i've ever had i've pursued them by calling first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Teller to Manager in 10 yrs. in Gloucester, Virginia

67 months ago

Emily Dublin in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: thanks. i really appreciate the feedback.. it's really helpful. well it's been maybe a week or so since i've applied. is there anything that i can do to make myself stand out? should i call and ask the status of my application? or should i just sit and wait for them to call me? every job i've ever had i've pursued them by calling first.

Yes, I would certainly give a follow up call to "thank the interviewer" for their time and consideration. Also, ask if there is any further information that they need while considering your application. Tip: A handwritten thank you note specific to your interview can work wonders, too. Something like: Dear Mr. Bigwheel, Thank you for interviewing me on June 7th. I appreciate the time you spent with me regarding your bank and available position. I especially enjoyed our talk about the future of banking in reference to technology upgrades...

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Teller to Manager in 10 yrs. in Gloucester, Virginia

67 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: I took a computerized test, either for World Savings or Zions Bank. I cannot recall which company; it was three years ago.

I responded to several World and Zion online announcements. Zion rejected me online. A World recruiter surprised me one day with a phone interview. This very young gal obviously worked from a prepared list of questions. One question asked about my goal in five years. I was not working and my app said as much. I thought it was a stupid question. I answered I was more concerned about become reemployed. Then I would concern myself with my long term goals. World e-mailed me that it had decided not to hire for the position. It was just as well - Wachovia swallowed up World.

I applied to other banks. USBank immediately rejected me online - because I did not have six months of cash handling experience. I honestly thought my accounting degree and eleven years of legal experience, which includes preparing probate inventories and accountings and settlement fund distribution schedules, gave me transferable skills for entry level banking.

That long term goals question will get you if you're not careful. With your qualifications, they were probably scoping you out to see if you would be looking to climb the ladder as soon as you got in the door or be willing to take your time and learn your job first, then on to other possibilities. We also look to weed out those looking for a job just to have a job and those who truly are interested in a career in banking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Teller to Manager in 10 yrs. in Gloucester, Virginia

67 months ago

It was probably an Intern that didn't even work for the bank that decisioned your resume.

I wish you were in Virginia- I have a full-time Teller opening now!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Teller to Manager in 10 yrs. in Gloucester, Virginia

67 months ago

And those are the pieces of cash handling that you needed to know. I am sorry that banking left a sour taste for you, but please look at it as their loss and if you ever move to Virginia...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

whey nick in Brooklyn, New York

65 months ago

Teller to Manager in 10 yrs. in Gloucester, Virginia said: We actually look for people in your age group because of maturity, commitment and flexibility in your schedule. Our bank does a Teller Assessment test on the computer that includes cash handling questions. I have seen people pass that without cash handling experience, but with a good head on their shoulders.

The assessment will ask math questions on making change and ethical questions like "my drawer is over $20, is it okay to take the money in my own pocket?" Our test is timed and will deduct points if you hesitate too long or change your answer.

Good luck! I wish you were- we always need mature, professional people with flexible schedules.

Hello, can you please give me some tips on how I can pass the teller test. You can e-mail me at wheynick@yahoo.com so we can get in touch. I would really really appreciate the help. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Interested in Finance in Virginia Beach, Virginia

64 months ago

I live in Virginia, and I'm actively seeking a teller position. I would love to know what it is that I'm doing wrong. I've applied to many of the area banks and they don't seem to be interested in my 2+ years of direct cash handling experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Asst Mgr in Smithfield, Virginia

64 months ago

Where are you located?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Interested in Finance in Virginia Beach, Virginia

64 months ago

I live in Virginia Beach, Va.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CatJ in Atlanta, Georgia

43 months ago

Teller to Manager in 10 yrs. in Gloucester, Virginia said: Hi Emily,

I have worked at a community bank for just over ten years now. I started out as a part time Teller and worked my way up to Teller Supervisor, Service Representative and now I am an Assistant Manager at one of our busiest branches. It is important to note that I have only one year of college education.

When I first started, I thought of it as an upgrade from the grocery store/gas station jobs with the better dress and not handling food. I have seem many, many success stories of people that started as a Teller and worked their way up to top positions. Also, the exposure to professionals in your area is great. Meaning that I have seen many people leave the Bank to go work for our customers, such as lawyers, doctors, etc. further advancing their careers.

Most banks have great benefits including tuition reimbursement for classes related to banking. My advice would be to start as a Teller and see if you develop a passion for banking. The Colorado response is correct in that you will be responsible for way more than you are paid to do and it can easily become your life.

I think it is a great experience to have as long as you can talk to strangers comfortably and don't mind having sales goals.

The biggest problem I see in banking is that eventually your pay will cap out and banking, unless you are in Senior Management, does not generally make you rich.

If you have any more specific questions, just let me know.

Take Care!

Ive had exp working at a bank for a little over a year. I have 3 years cash handling experience but for some reason i cant pass the BofA teller exam. I have no idea what their looking for. Its so frustrating!! any tips on passing the exam?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Columbus, Ohio

35 months ago

Emily Dublin in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: Hi, I've currently been seeking bank teller job positions in the St.Petersburg area. I've applied to 3 banks so far as of yesterday and I'm waiting on a call back. But I would just like to get an opinion on whether or not you think a bank would view me as "qualified" or "not" to be a bank teller.

When reviewing the application process, I noticed they rely heavily on whether you've handled money before. I've held 3 part time jobs where I was a cashier and now I'm an office assistant at a job where I not only handle money but I make bank deposits and have access to safes with very large amounts of money. I use money counting machines and computers all shift long. But all the jobs I have held have been minimum wage. And I'm also only 18 years old. I feel that I am qualified, but do you believe that because I've only made minimum wage that they wouldn't want to give me such a higher paying job? Or that they feel maybe I might be too young for the position?

I am currently a college student and the little hours would be great. I really want this job. So.. now i'll just wait and see if i'll get a reply soon. But while i wait, I would like to hear what maybe a Bank Manager, Supervisor or anyone would have to say about whether they would think I'm qualified or not.. Thanks!

You are qualified. I'm a bank manager. The main qualities we look for are upbeat, outgoing, friendly people who want to move up in the company and are willing to learn how to do it. If you have that attitude, you are a great candidate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.