Interview Preparation

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 173)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming bank teller interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

Teller Screener in Provo, Utah

89 months ago

I interview tellers all day and the main things I ask is how well they understand the bank's or credit union's products and services. If they don't understand the basics of savings ,checkings, loans, etc...it tells me they don't deal much with money even in their own lives. How can they help others with their finances without knowing the main staples of finances. I am not talking about investments or very technical knowledge, but just the very basics. This question also helps me understand whether they can explain things in simple terms. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (804) / No (125) Reply - Report abuse

Elza in Santa Clara, California

79 months ago

Teller Screener in Provo, Utah said: I interview tellers all day and the main things I ask is how well they understand the bank's or credit union's products and services. If they don't understand the basics of savings ,checkings, loans, etc...it tells me they don't deal much with money even in their own lives. How can they help others with their finances without knowing the main staples of finances. I am not talking about investments or very technical knowledge, but just the very basics. This question also helps me understand whether they can explain things in simple terms. Hope this helps.

Hi
I just can back for an interview at the bank as a teller position
they call me for a second interview and I realy want this job
can you please give me a hand for the second interview
What kind of question do they ask?
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (507) / No (84) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Teller Screener in Provo, Utah said: I interview tellers all day and the main things I ask is how well they understand the bank's or credit union's products and services. If they don't understand the basics of savings ,checkings, loans, etc...it tells me they don't deal much with money even in their own lives. How can they help others with their finances without knowing the main staples of finances. I am not talking about investments or very technical knowledge, but just the very basics. This question also helps me understand whether they can explain things in simple terms. Hope this helps.

Hi
I just came back for an interview at the bank as a teller position
What kind of questions do they ask?
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (406) / No (70) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Please let me know if you know anything that I should know before my second interview
Thanks guys

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (211) / No (40) Reply - Report abuse

Jessejo in Ordot, Guam

78 months ago

I would like to know what questions are being asked in an interview for a bank teller position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (455) / No (63) Reply - Report abuse

phumza in Johannesburg, South Africa

77 months ago

i am invited 4 an interview as a bank teller i want 2 know what should i expect on that interview. thanking you in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (303) / No (58) Reply - Report abuse

Cebi Dube in Johannesburg, South Africa

76 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming bank teller interview?

What are your skills, strengh and weakness

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (203) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

fata E. Browne in Satellite Provider

76 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming bank teller interview?no

yes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (102) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

fata E. Browne in Satellite Provider said: yes

i want to know more about a bank teller position and its function.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (110) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Elza in Santa Clara, California said: Hi
I just can back for an interview at the bank as a teller position
What kind of question do they ask?
Thanks
like what do you know about loans and saving

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (77) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

I did not really understand how to answer these questions about a bank's or credit. Could you please give me an insite of the whole teller job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (261) / No (53) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

I am very grateful for help, it came just on time. As soon as the reply comes, I will give you the result.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

ja114023 in Richland Hills, Texas

76 months ago

Are there any disadvantages in being a teller?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (123) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

April in Houston, Texas

76 months ago

I have an upcoming interview, and I am very scared. If anyone can help me prepare for the questions and also give me tips to stand out from the group that I have to interview with.
Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (150) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Ed in United Kingdom

76 months ago

www.wikijob.co.uk - better! apoloies for the linking guys!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Mondana in San Francisco, California

75 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming bank teller interview?

Hi,
I'm going for interview as a teller on thurseday, but I don't know what kind of question are they going to ask. would you please help me.
Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (112) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

chndrn in Buffalo, New York

75 months ago

Michael in Arlington, Virginia said: One thing i found out, this is in most interviews too.... not just a teller's, is that they will ask you this question "Tell me why, or rather what would you say as to why i should hire you from the rest"

That one caught me off gaurd really..... hahah....

ROAR i hope i answered that one correctly.

i have an interview for bank teller in 3days can u pls mail the questions they asked you for the interview.i really need this job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

DJ in Belmar, New Jersey

75 months ago

lol im another going for an interview this week. I am going on friday and am really nervous. I passed the phone interview with hr then yesterday watched a video on the bank and what they offer. so if i pass the next interview do I have one more or am I ready for training?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Julia Penny in Cape Town, South Africa

75 months ago

DJ in Belmar, New Jersey said: lol im another going for an interview this week. I am going on friday and am really nervous. I passed the phone interview with hr then yesterday watched a video on the bank and what they offer. so if i pass the next interview do I have one more or am I ready for training?

You can ask them the process for the hiring decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

chndrn in Buffalo, New York

75 months ago

thanks for sharing your experience

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

MIChangas5 in San Diego, California

73 months ago

I am trying to find if anyone has taken the cash assesment test for NICU in san diego?
( North Island Credit Union )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Kyle a in Queen Creek, Arizona

73 months ago

DJ in Belmar, New Jersey said: horay I got the job! the interview wasn't bad. the toughest question i got was " what is the easiest to steal a basketball or a liter bottle of soda?" I apparently said that stealing is bad in the first place. but I got it and am excited. sad to be leaving my current place, but i think im better off here

do you remember what exactly you said?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

DJ in Belmar, New Jersey

73 months ago

i was smiling the whole time, commenting on customer service, telling them how this has alot to do with my major to show my interest. when they asked me what i do for fun i said what i do for fun lol. hand with my girl, sports etc.lolhope that helped some

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

nicole in San Jose, California

72 months ago

I just finished my interview... It was pretty good, But the manager told me to wait for their call til' next week because ders still more upcoming interview for another applicants... When they say wait for their call, does it mean, I didn't pass the interview???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Laura in Port Murray, New Jersey

72 months ago

Laura in Port Murray, New Jersey said:
I much rather this type of interviewing compared to the traditional. They don't beat around the bush by asking you what you like to do for fun. These questions show them exactly how you would do things if you were to work with them. If you go to a bank and they ask you questions like that they may just be trying to waste time because they aren't interested (this is not always the case though).

Edit:
if they ask you questions other then behavior ones like my example then they may be trying to just waste time *****

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

jamila in Manassas, Virginia

72 months ago

Mondana in San Francisco, California said: Hi,
I'm going for interview as a teller on thurseday, but I don't know what kind of question are they going to ask. would you please help me.
Thank you

what intersted you to this position?
tell me about your previous jab?
your responsibilities?
tell about bad situation you had and you solved the problem with a custome?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Gabby in San Diego, California

71 months ago

Nervous about the interview, which is tommorow afternoon, dont know what to expect, any feed back would be great. REALLY need this job. PLEASE HELP! Thanks...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Laura in Port Murray, New Jersey

71 months ago

JL in New York, New York said: Wow...I never imagined teller positions would be so hard to get and the recruting processs to be as rigorous as some entry level positions in the corporate headquarters of banks.

I'm a recent BBA Economics grad with top grades and very little banking experience that's being shut out from the corporate offices of banks and financial institutions (been applying, interviewing since last September 2007, that's almost a year now!) and have had no job offers. Only a 5 week temp assignment as a bookkeeper at a law firm since graduation.

Looks like I will have to settle for branch positions (teller, personal banker) because I really want to stay in the financial services field. If I can't even get a teller position, I will have to go back to school for my MBA soon.

Why would you get your bachelor's just to settle for a teller positiion that would only require your high school diploma?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

JL in Forest Hills, New York

71 months ago

Because a recent college grad with little banking experience will not get any positions (only interviews if you are somewhat bright) in investment banking or funds administration companies with how the banking industry is sinking since last summer. If you read the financial news, experienced hires are getting laid off left and right across all the banks. They will not hire inexperienced recent grads.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

JL in Forest Hills, New York

71 months ago

Regarding your question to why I'm applying for Teller positions with a Bachelors under my belt, it's a foot in the door. Being employed looks a whole lot better than being unemployed for months and seeking that "ideal" job. You have to deal with the hand that you're dealt with. Unfortunately, I graduated in a recession and seeking work in a very troubled industry that shows no signs of turning around anytime soon.

Luckily for me, I just got an offer for a goverment auditing position that pays $40K, so no need to settle for a Teller position that pays around $27K for now. I advise anyone who is in a similar position as I to broaden your horizons with your job search because you don't want to have to be sitting at home, searching on job boards, writing cover/thank you letters, preparing and going to interviews for nearly a year and be stuck with ZERO job offers. It certainly has taken a toll in my life and I'm so happy I got a great paying job even though it's not in financial services.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

JL in New York, New York

70 months ago

Katie in Charlotte, North Carolina said: how did you apply for this job and what are the requirements and what do you do for the job??

thanks

The NYC Comptroller's Office posted an opening for a Staff Auditor (I now work in the management auditing dept) on my college career website, starting salary is $40K. I'm happy with that considering I'm a recent college grad with very minimal background in auditing.

I also received job offers to work for Citibank as a Personal Banker and at an investment bank as a Reconciliation Analyst at the same time. So far, I think I made the right decision.

There is a lot more job security with a government position. For the most part, I would not have to worry if my company would go belly up. The culture is also not cuthroat where you have to be watching your back all the time with your co-workers trying to move up the corporate ladder. Government agencies do not operate with a focus on the balance sheets, bonuses and making a profit (the main reason why the banking industry is the way it is right now by the way), just ensuring that the citizens are served. There is also a very flexible work schedule and generous benefits.

So far so good, only been working 3 days though...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JL in New York, New York

70 months ago

Katie in Charlotte, North Carolina said: how did you apply for this job and what are the requirements and what do you do for the job??

thanks

Requirements are a Bachelors at a minimum. The hiring is process is pretty long, got the job offer almost 2 months after the interview/writing test.

My responsibilities are to survey/observe/analyze/interview various NYC agencies and personnel to ensure that their operations are running as efficiently and effectively as possible. To make sure their internal controls that are in place are sufficient to carry out each agencys' goals. I will offer recommendations to the agencies if there are areas for improvement. All findings and recommendations are to be put into a report for the Comptroller, who is the person in charge of oversight of the City's purse in programs.

I also work in teams of 2-3, get to go out of the office periodically and take advantage of my Bachelor's education by having to do analytical work (rather than thoughtless and repetitive drone work)- all of which is A+ in my books. So this position is very similar to being a consultant, except the fact that the agencies didn't hire use to audit their operations. It is just the NYC law that requires these agencies to be audited every 3 years. Hope that helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Charlotte, North Carolina

70 months ago

I also have another question. This question "what method or technique do you use....(regarding customer service)...?" (I can't remember the whole question)...always throws me off. How could I answer this question?? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Namuna in Saint Louis, Missouri

70 months ago

Got an interview like in 40 mins. wish me good luck :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

sanran in Littleton, Colorado

69 months ago

i have done my graduation in commerce from south asian country,i don't know what kind of job suits me, in this country there r different requirement,and also have wrk permit,,i applied for teller position ,i just want to know what are the steps,b'cz i had got a call.pl help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

abebw in Alexandria, Virginia

69 months ago

well i am just doing this for the moment and to tell you the truth the job sucks ass. but it pays the bills for the time bieng

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pochi in Edison, New Jersey

68 months ago

I have a Teller Supervisor interview tomm with PNC can anybody tell me what to expect and how long is the whole procedure from interview to hiring??

I had gone for an open house and passed the 1st round ,the next is with the hiring manager .................Please ,Please, HELP !!!!

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Hoang in Hammond, Louisiana

68 months ago

I had an interviewed (part time teller) on Tuesday, and i really wants the job. The reciter and the manager said we will decision and we will give you a call to let you know yes or no at the end of the interview..She knows i wanted the job because i changes my school schedule to fit in with the bank schedule.So how long will i know the outcome?..Oh yeah, that day, the bank was short handed on teller, and there were a lots of things going and there were not enough of people to take care of. but my interview lasted about an hour, and i had a little chat abt my schedule with the manager (because he was in a hurry) and he asked me to write down my schedule. Which i did. I am so nervous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

CSPRING in Denton, Texas

66 months ago

Hoang in Hammond, Louisiana said: I had an interviewed (part time teller) on Tuesday, and i really wants the job. The reciter and the manager said we will decision and we will give you a call to let you know yes or no at the end of the interview..She knows i wanted the job because i changes my school schedule to fit in with the bank schedule.So how long will i know the outcome?..Oh yeah, that day, the bank was short handed on teller, and there were a lots of things going and there were not enough of people to take care of. but my interview lasted about an hour, and i had a little chat abt my schedule with the manager (because he was in a hurry) and he asked me to write down my schedule. Which i did. I am so nervous.

Learn slightly better English. Not being rude, but it's very important, obviously.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

1981 in Morgantown, West Virginia

66 months ago

Rule of thumb when banks are wanting to hire bank tellers - YOU MUST BE PRETTY!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

les. A in Redding, California

66 months ago

i am doing a research paper for school and i would like to know what questions they ask you at an interview and i would also like to know more information about bank tellers!!!!!!!!!!!! THANX

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

les. A in Redding, California

66 months ago

i am doing a research paper for my school assignment and would like to know more info abou bank tellers and what kind ofwhat questions they ask you at an interview

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

wju in Los Angeles, California

66 months ago

CSPRING in Denton, Texas said: Learn slightly better English. Not being rude, but it's very important, obviously.

I am having interview in 2days..can you plz tell me how the interview process will be.Thnks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Foxgirl in Lompoc, California

66 months ago

Hello to all, I have completed the online application and test for Wachovia. I have had a recruiter call me and give me a phone interview. He said I passed and I will be one of three to do a face to face interview with two managers. Can anyone give me info on the face to face interviews? I have never worked in a bank, I have years and years of customer service and cash handling. Will there be more interviews to follow the face to face?Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kitty123 in Norristown, Pennsylvania

65 months ago

can someone help me to prepare for a bank interview-
my question is-
1) Tell me about a situation when u had to deal with a lot of details within zero time,how did u handle the situation and how did u make ?
plz help me out

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ItzMeeh in Morgantown, West Virginia

65 months ago

kitty123 in Norristown, Pennsylvania said: can someone help me to prepare for a bank interview-
my question is-
1) Tell me about a situation when u had to deal with a lot of details within zero time,how did u handle the situation and how did u make ?
plz help me out

The first one I would relate it to school or something and say you were taking an online test where time was limited but you used your organization skills to put your notes together in a way to quicker find the answers and your use of organization scored you an a on the test compared to the class average of a c.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Daniela Huerfano in Cerritos, California

64 months ago

Hello, I have an second interview this thursday for a Personal Banker position at Wells Fargo. I was told that I need to do a 5-10m presentation( can't use powerpoint) and I have not clue of what they are expecting from me as to how to make the presentation. Is it just stand there and just Sell Wells Fargo and its products full? should I make it a big presentation and make a poster?,Should I mention and other bank during my presentation to compare our product?. I will really appreciate any help or tip you have to my questions. I have 4 days left!
Thank you,
Daniela Huerfano

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Baba A Seidu in Accra, Ghana

64 months ago

i ve being called for an interview as a teller. pls let me know what i shd know before the d-day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kim in New Hyde Park, New York

64 months ago

JL in New York, New York said: Requirements are a Bachelors at a minimum. The hiring is process is pretty long, got the job offer almost 2 months after the interview/writing test.

My responsibilities are to survey/observe/analyze/interview various NYC agencies and personnel to ensure that their operations are running as efficiently and effectively as possible. To make sure their internal controls that are in place are sufficient to carry out each agencys' goals. I will offer recommendations to the agencies if there are areas for improvement. All findings and recommendations are to be put into a report for the Comptroller, who is the person in charge of oversight of the City's purse in programs.

I also work in teams of 2-3, get to go out of the office periodically and take advantage of my Bachelor's education by having to do analytical work (rather than thoughtless and repetitive drone work)- all of which is A+ in my books. So this position is very similar to being a consultant, except the fact that the agencies didn't hire use to audit their operations. It is just the NYC law that requires these agencies to be audited every 3 years. Hope that helps.

Hi JL,

great! I think your job is pretty interesting, it's not boring. That's a type of job which I am looking for..how was the interview? what kind of written test? would you describe a little more details?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.