Tellers' Pet Peeves

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (41)

RD in New Hyde Park, New York

74 months ago

Currently working tellers: if you had the chance, what would you tell customers? What are your pet peeves? Please post here. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chedi in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

73 months ago

Hi RD :)

1 -- When a customer walks right up to my station.

2 -- When a customer cashes a check for $??.99

3 -- When a customer skips the line, unless I invite them to do so.

4 -- When a customer wants all different sorts of rolled coin, but we don't have exactly what he or she'd like.

I could go on.

Thanks!

---Chedi :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lauren in Castro Valley, California

68 months ago

when a customer is too lazy to fill out a friggin deposit slip but has a million trans for us to do.

talking on the cell phone

coming up to my window with an attitude

asking me to reverse fees and i see they already have like 8 reversed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LONG in Jackson, Tennessee

67 months ago

If I may, I would Love to chime in here. I have been a teller now for over seven years, Here are some of my Pet Peeves...................

No deposit slipped filled out ! I have had people hold up a drive thru for several minutes while taking thier time filling out a deposit slip that should have been completed before they arrived.

Cell-Phone, When you say "Hello" to someone and they look at you like, Shuddup, Can't you see I am on my cell-phone?
I actually had an idiot pull up yesterday on a cell phone, I greeted him properly and received no response. He just threw a check in the drawer and continued to talk. So I figured he just wanted to cash the check as most do.
When I go to hand the cash back, He says No ! I want to deposit that ! Very loudly. I say oooooooookk. Do you happen to have your account# sir ?
I hear him say to the person on the phone, "Hold on a minute" he then looks at me very disgusted, Like I am supposed to read his mind or something. He told me to look it up ! What an idiot !

Basically, If people would just treat others with respect and have some knowledge of what they are doing when they come into a bank, it would be a tremendous help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ja114023 in Fort Worth, Texas

66 months ago

Ex: I cashed a check. Then counted the money to him. (btw there was a very long line) Then he says he wants to make a payment. Next he would like to deposit some money into his accounts. He is using the same money I handed to him from his check he had cashed.

We could have done this in one transcation. And he could of said everything he wanted to do from the start and not after I'm done with the transcation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

bigalnash in Lakewood, Ohio

66 months ago

in response to ja114023 comment that's kind of what you have to do. with my bank which is if u deposit a check there is a hold and only 100 is available, but if u cash a check they give you all your money what kind of bs is that? so thats why he probably cashed the check then put some in . It's such a stupid concept certain banks have and all it is, is just an effort to cheat you out of money. it makes me sick.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

su12321 in Palmyra, Virginia

65 months ago

i just recently started working at a bank and its so annoying when members dont have their id with them when they are cashing a check or withdrawing from their acct. Do other banks ask for identification? And they get so mad- even though we are protecting their acct!!! I also hate the obvious- cell phones, smoking in the drive thru, when people dont know their account number, when they dont fill out deposit slips(even though we supply them in the drive thru tubes.) when they yell at me when we have a to place a check on hold because its $2000.00 and they only keep an average of $10.00 in their account.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

MB in Fort Wayne, Indiana

63 months ago

We have four lanes in DT, but I've seen three cars in lane one when lanes 2, 3, and 4 are open. Also why do they have to turn and stare at the window, even if I'm not helping them yet?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mshake in Lockport, Illinois

50 months ago

bigalnash. The bank won't cash it for you if they want to put a hold on it. Clearly you do not have the recourse in your account if the check is bad. If you are having this problem then take it to the bank it is drawn off of and cash it there then bring the cash in.

Most hated things is overuse of the the draw in the drive line and spaming the call button in the drive. Seriously say what you have to say when you are greeted don't bother me when I'm trying to run your and maybe other people's transactions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Mokena, Illinois

46 months ago

My biggest one is the customer comes to my window when I'm not ready for them yet.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

carmen montoya in Van Nuys, California

44 months ago

i hate when customers come up to my window with an attitude and literally throw their papers at me, when deposit slips arent filled out, when they want me to check on account activity and theres a line of twenty people and they dont understand why we have to send them to a personal banker, when customers complain if i ask for id when cash is being given to them and they say "well you dont ask when i make a deposit" why would we ask for a id when a deposit is being made? so your telling me you wouldnt want for your id to be asked when someone is trying to take money from your account? and we did ask for ids for deposits for a while but customers complained about that as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tulip143

43 months ago

I haven't been a teller in 20 some years. and nothing has changed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kala in Bristow, Virginia

42 months ago

I had a client confuse me while counting his money. I knew when he walked out the door what had happened. I closed my window, balanced and told my boss. She immediately called him and he denied cheating me out of the cash. My pet peeve? Being robbed by a client, and he being able to get away with it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

nikki in Hayward, California

41 months ago

Pam in Mansfield, Texas said: You need to train your customers. I have been in banking for 15 years. It does not hurt you to say here let me show you how to fill this out so you can make your payment, deposit and your cash back. If you did not work in a bank I am sure that you would not have known that either. You need to remember if it wasnt for your customers you wouldn't have a job!1

you can tell you are a great bank teller! If tellers don't even take time to help customers and don't like their job, there are lots of people that are ready and willing to take it! (who will probably do a better job at it)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Maria in East Orange, New Jersey

38 months ago

bigalnash in Lakewood, Ohio said: in response to ja114023 comment that's kind of what you have to do. with my bank which is if u deposit a check there is a hold and only 100 is available, but if u cash a check they give you all your money what kind of bs is that? so thats why he probably cashed the check then put some in . It's such a stupid concept certain banks have and all it is, is just an effort to cheat you out of money. it makes me sick.

NOT TRUE AT ALL.they still put a hold for the entire amount of the Check against the customers acount funds.So if they cash it and then deposit it makes no difference at all.That amount will not be cleared right away.That is why if the person doesnt have enough money to hold the check they cannot cash it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

lynell in Independence, Missouri

38 months ago

bigalnash in Lakewood, Ohio said: in response to ja114023 comment that's kind of what you have to do. with my bank which is if u deposit a check there is a hold and only 100 is available, but if u cash a check they give you all your money what kind of bs is that? so thats why he probably cashed the check then put some in . It's such a stupid concept certain banks have and all it is, is just an effort to cheat you out of money. it makes me sick.

well that is what direct deosit is for, if you want all you money at once you should have direct deposit. Not hold up a teller's window for 10mins with all your different transactions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lynell in Independence, Missouri

38 months ago

dj in Killeen, Texas said: What is wrong with all you whiners?!?! customer service is what you get paid to do! If someone comes to your window and you don't want them to, ask them to please step back until they are called. If someone is on there phone yell over them! if they give you dirty looks just smile, keep yelling, and send them on their way! just remember with the economy and job market the way it is, your lucky your biggest problem is "not being ready for a customer".

Customer service is what Iam paid to do, not customer hand holder and English language interpter. Customers need to grown up and take accountablity over THEIR OWN PERSONAL ACCOUNTS. Please do give us that bull about a bad economy and that we should be grateful for a job they should be grateful to have us. Those higher up could not handle the type of people we have to endure for an hour. American people do not sale your gifts and talents short we are the best workers in the world period!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

TTCC in Kendallville, Indiana

38 months ago

Typical snotty response from a teller. Not everyone is offered direct deposit. And not every deposit is a payroll check. It's a ridiculous policy and makes no sense and "that's what direct deposit is for" is a ridiculous response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Teller in Elk Grove, California

36 months ago

I dont call people to my window if they are on the phone. They need to get off of it not just because it is rude but for safety. True story: we got robbed and my customer was on the phone and I had no clue what was going on around me because I was so busy trying to figure out what the lady wanted. So I didnt know we even had been robbed.
Being on the phone is also rude to other customers who are waiting in line. It is rude of me to not say anything to the person on the phone because it will make those other people have to wait longer as well. So just ask nicely for them to either step aside till the phone call is over or if they wouldnt mind hanging up.

Also yes, everyone can not get direct deposit. That is aweful by the way for new Wells Fargo customers. Because accounts will no longer be fee if you dont have DD or a minimum daily balance of various amounts. So that is frustrating to get used to . Let alone, have most of my family have to close their accounts because fees are dub. But at the same time, We create a service as a bank to our customers. We are there for them regarding financial matters. So it kinda makes sense that a small fee would be invoked. But, Farmers and Merchants Bank is free still so I guess they will get most of our towns business. :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

confused in Warren, Michigan

36 months ago

ja114023 in Fort Worth, Texas said: Ex: I cashed a check. Then counted the money to him. (btw there was a very long line) Then he says he wants to make a payment. Next he would like to deposit some money into his accounts. He is using the same money I handed to him from his check he had cashed.

We could have done this in one transcation. And he could of said everything he wanted to do from the start and not after I'm done with the transcation.

That happened to mew all the time now i ask wat other transactions do theyu wanna do before i hand them anything!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Acton Belle in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

35 months ago

LONG in Jackson, Tennessee said: If I may, I would Love to chime in here. I have been a teller now for over seven years, Here are some of my Pet Peeves...................

No deposit slipped filled out ! I have had people hold up a drive thru for several minutes while taking thier time filling out a deposit slip that should have been completed before they arrived.

Cell-Phone, When you say "Hello" to someone and they look at you like, Shuddup, Can't you see I am on my cell-phone?
I actually had an idiot pull up yesterday on a cell phone, I greeted him properly and received no response. He just threw a check in the drawer and continued to talk. So I figured he just wanted to cash the check as most do.
When I go to hand the cash back, He says No ! I want to deposit that ! Very loudly. I say oooooooookk. Do you happen to have your account# sir ?
I hear him say to the person on the phone, "Hold on a minute" he then looks at me very disgusted, Like I am supposed to read his mind or something. He told me to look it up ! What an idiot !

Basically, If people would just treat others with respect and have some knowledge of what they are doing when they come into a bank, it would be a tremendous help.

I second that complaint! Meanwhile, those customers waiting behind Rude Cell Phone Guy are developing an attitude about waiting so long...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Acton Belle in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

35 months ago

too tired in Kendallville, Indiana said: YOu guys covered a lot of them...mine are:

1. No deposit slip and the excuse, "I don't know my account number" all sweet-like, as if that makes it okay to hold up the 5 people who've filled theirs out properly already.
2. Non-customers who just.don't.get why we need their ID when the check is drawn on us. Makes me Crazy when they say, "But it's drawn on your bank!" as if I should hand any Joe Blow money if they give me a check.
3. Won't acknowledge me because they're on the cell phone.
4. complaints for fee's when they only have 21.00 in their account and they're getting free checking....as is we're making SO much money on them cashing their check each week. Gah.
5. Complaining about the drive thru line is long when they can get out of their damned car and go in the lobby.
6. The teller next to me who talks so loud into the mic I go home with a head-ache (I know...not a customer, but it does drive me crazy!).

I agree. And I work with one of those #6's too!

friendly customer in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

too tired in Kendallville, Indiana said: YOu guys covered a lot of them...mine are:

1. No deposit slip and the excuse, "I don't know my account number" all sweet-like, as if that makes it okay to hold up the 5 people who've filled theirs out properly already.
2. Non-customers who just.don't.get why we need their ID when the check is drawn on us. Makes me Crazy when they say, "But it's drawn on your bank!" as if I should hand any Joe Blow money if they give me a check.
4. complaints for fee's when they only have 21.00 in their account and they're getting free checking....as is we're making SO much money on them cashing their check each week. Gah.
5. Complaining about the drive thru line is long when they can get out of their damned car and go in the lobby.
6. The teller next to me who talks so loud into the mic I go home with a head-ache (I know...not a customer, but it does drive me crazy!).

Your expectation that a customer is supposed to remember a long account number that may be used 1x per month is ridiculous. Its not anything like a phone number that you use many times a week. Quit complaining and do your job. And oh yeah, I was a bank teller for years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

brambleton in Chantilly, Virginia

31 months ago

friendly customer in Pittsburgh,

I bank at Clearview FCU in Pittburgh and have been loyal with them for 25 years due to the extraordinary customer service from the tellers. It is very inconvenient for me to use this bank since I now live in DC and there is no branch locally and their affiliates are completely out of the way. The tellers go out of their way to make me feel valued and I am never a nuisance, even when I've forgotten my account number, or have a few extra requests. We need more tellers with better people skills and customer service training. We all serve somebody, and you will have problems dealing with people no matter which industry you choose. I work two jobs as a flight attendant and a trauma/perioperative nurse. I deal with 'people' issues all day long. Talking on the cell phone? Not filling out the deposit slip? Sounds like a walk in the park! Please.....:)

bsmythe in Los Angeles, California

29 months ago

i hate when non-customers make a deposit and give you the wrong acct #. They hold up the line for twenty minutes while they make you try that same number over and over. Ask why you cant look it up by name, why you cant find it, they do this EVERY MONTH, its never been a problem before. Twenty minutes later, they realize it was the wrong number and DONT APOLOGIZE!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Blahblah in Belleville, New Jersey

28 months ago

ja114023 in Fort Worth, Texas said: Ex: I cashed a check. Then counted the money to him. (btw there was a very long line) Then he says he wants to make a payment. Next he would like to deposit some money into his accounts. He is using the same money I handed to him from his check he had cashed.

OMG I HATE THAT !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

su12321 in Palmyra, Virginia said: i just recently started working at a bank and its so annoying when members dont have their id with them when they are cashing a check or withdrawing from their acct. Do other banks ask for identification? And they get so mad- even though we are protecting their acct!!! I also hate the obvious- cell phones, smoking in the drive thru, when people dont know their account number, when they dont fill out deposit slips(even though we supply them in the drive thru tubes.) when they yell at me when we have a to place a check on hold because its $2000.00 and they only keep an average of $10.00 in their account.

In my banking center, we always ask for the debit card because that is their primary identification next to their driver's license. And when a customer gets upset with me because they have been with the bank for 20 years (and I have never seen them before), I tell them how would they like me to give their account information to someone else, how do I know its really them?

28 months ago

2. Non-customers who just.don't.get why we need their ID when the check is drawn on us. Makes me Crazy when they say, "But it's drawn on your bank !" as if I should hand any Joe Blow money if they give me a check.
6. The teller next to me who talks so loud into the mic I go home with a head-ache (I know...not a customer , but it does drive me crazy!).

1. Okay, what I do is I tell them to swipe their card and hand them a deposit slip and fill out their name and address and I will get their account number for them and even offer to write it down on a small note card.
2. Yeah, in my BC we require 2 pieces of ID if its over a certain amount and they always get mad.
3. When I see that, I talk louder. Especially when they are holding up the line on the cell phone, I yell.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cassie in Kenosha, Wisconsin

19 months ago

1) Get off your cell phone!!! I am dealing with YOUR personal finances. I have questions I actually NEED to ask you and it is very rude to make us sit and wait until we can sneak in an 'excuse me.' It is of course worse with people in the drive through.
2) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I beg of you. Take of your hat/hood and sun glasses so we can see your face. Nothing is more stressful when a guy walks up looking like the unibomber, even if it is just for a simple cash deposit.
3) Do not freak out every time I ask to see 2 forms of ID when you want to take money out. It is not only company policy, but it is for your own protection. And you can bet I will be documenting that information and checking the system to make sure everything is shiny. So you have been banking with us for a few years. Honestly, I don't care, I just want to make sure you are who you say you are.
4) I work for a national bank. It is a highly sales motivated bank, like many others. Im going to give you a tell-a-friend slip and info about our newest savings account as well as my personal business card. Why? Because if I do not meet my goal and show that I am at least trying to meet my goal, I will lose my job. Sure, it may not be the best job and not the one i plan to have in 10 years, but its a job. Thats saying a lot these days. So PLEASE, be nice. Take the information and don't give me heart ache.
5) Did you know I can turn you away for not filling out a deposit slip or properly filling it out? There are 7 other people who have everything filled out properly and want to get out of here as soon as possible. Honestly, the transaction would go much more quickly if you did it for us. We have stands with everything you need in the middle of the lobby. The "I don't know my account number" excuse only goes so far. At the very least, fill everything else out and have your check card ready. Its much easier to find the number that way instead of just your name and address.

HELP US HELP YOU

Cassie in Kenosha, Wisconsin

19 months ago

Acton Belle in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania said: I agree. And I work with one of those #6's too!

number 5!!!! seriously!!! In my bank, its one person in the drive, the rest on the line and chances are they are super busy so its is just me and the 4 lanes. and just because you come to the one right by the window, doesnt mean you get my attention first. its a first come first served thing, much like mcdonalds. you know what else is like mcdonalds, its faster to go inside. no one likes to get out of his or her car.

CS in Reston, Virginia

18 months ago

"1. No deposit slip and the excuse, "I don't know my account number" all sweet-like, as if that makes it okay to hold up the 5 people who've filled theirs out properly already. "

I've been a customer of two banks and a credit union in the last 10 years. NEITHER of the banks ever hassled me about my account number is, OR demanded I fill out a deposit slip, because they have these things right in front of them called COMPUTERS and all they need me to do is swipe my ATM card and all my information just shows up right in front of them. Then they ask me which account I want to use and I say "checking" or "savings", or if I have more than one, I give them the last 4 digits of that account number. It's quick and easy, and very popular with bank customers. Some banks don't even require a deposit slip for ATMs anymore.

These banks are aware that people don't typically carry around their bank account numbers, which are usually long and hard to remember, and this system is fast and convenient for everyone. Welcome to the 21st century.

I was never asked for this information until I became a member of a credit union, where they expect all customers to fill out a deposit slip in its entirety with the member number and everything. I guess the deposit slip isn't that big a deal, and gives you a better paper trail, but when you fill out the whole thing except for the member number, and then the teller gives you a hard time about it even though they obviously have the computer right there in front of them with that information, it kind of makes that teller look like a jerk, especially coming from the other banks where they do it for you with a smile. It only takes a second (if not less) to do it, so you're not going to hold the line up. And I know they can do it because after they've wasted time lecturing me about how I need to remember my member number, they just type my name into the computer and bring it right up, so why are they hassling me about it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CS in Reston, Virginia

18 months ago

Also, keep in mind that most bank customers have not been trained in bank telling like you have, or even bank using, for that matter.
As far as most of them are concerned, the bank is just the place where they keep their money and come back to get it when they need it.
Bank telling is a customer service position, and if a customer doesn't know about or understand something, you should just explain it to them in a friendly, clear, and non-condescending way.
If the teller is expecting the customer to follow rules he doesn't know he should, or which seem unnecessary, the teller can often come across as hostile to the customer, which results in a customer service failure.

The ATM doesn't give customers an attitude; you just swipe your card and follow the on-screen instructions.
Hopefully you have better customer service skills than the ATM, or else, why is the bank employing you?

I sympathize with your complaints about customers who are just rude or impatient (e.g. cell phone), but helping your customers when they need clarification or assistance shouldn't be a big deal for a good customer service rep, and honestly, what is the big deal about looking up a member number on the computer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JoeCustomer in Douglasville, Georgia

18 months ago

RD in New Hyde Park, New York said: Currently working tellers: if you had the chance, what would you tell customers? What are your pet peeves? Please post here. Thanks.

Well, I wanted to chime in as a customer. I don't think I've ever had a rude teller even when I didn't have my wife's account number but I needed to make a deposit into her account. Also I make it a habit NOT to stare at the teller while I'm at the window (but it is natural to do that). Also something I have been doing for years is to drop the teller a few sealed pieces of candy or a candy bar or something in their drawer with my deposit. It helps them to remember me and it seems to put a smile on their face which is the main thing. I'm a Service Manager in another industry and I believe as a CSR, EVERY customer gets treated like royalty EVERY time. You never know what they may be going through as they stand (or sit) before your window. It's your opportunity to make their day just a little bit easier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dontworryaboutit in Nathalie, Virginia

17 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: I don't get it.

I will say all the tellers at my banks are very nice.

But I don't get it still.

I always tell my tellers, "Boy I wish I had an easy job like yours." And they all say the same thing. "No way, this is a stressful job!" Give me a break. I just don't get it.

Try working at one. Cashing a bad check or having a customer tell you that you don't need their ID. Or getting ripped by a customer you think you can trust. Teller work is not easy. People like you should know, it's the worst job I have EVER had. Dealing with people who think because they have money they are better than you. The s sucks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bstill81 in Memphis, Tennessee

14 months ago

LONG in Jackson, Tennessee said: If I may, I would Love to chime in here. I have been a teller now for over seven years, Here are some of my Pet Peeves...................

When I go to hand the cash back, He says No ! I want to deposit that ! Very loudly. I say oooooooookk. Do you happen to have your account # sir ?

Basically, If people would just treat others with respect and have some knowledge of what they are doing when they come into a bank , it would be a tremendous help.

That would have really pissed me off!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JessaSmith23 in Boston, Massachusetts

13 months ago

"Why do you need my ID? I have tons of $$ with this bank!" -All the more reason to protect your account.
"I've been with this bank for yrs & they never have done this before." -They usually say this when I tell them we need to fill out a ticket for a transaction.
"Who wants me?!" or "Ini mini miney mo" -Don't play games, if you walk up & multiple tellers are available simply go to one. Tellers have to stop what they're doing to greet you & can't remove their attention until you are helped therefore when you do this you are holding everyone up (including other customers behind you).
"Yap Yap.." -Don't make the teller stand there & wait for gaps in your phone conversation to ask you important ?'s when you're on the phone, this turns a 3 minute transaction into a 10 minute transaction.
"I used to work for a bank" -You & everybody else.
Teller: "How would you like your bills?" Cust.: "It doesn't matter! Green!" -90% of customers who say this change the denominations the teller chose to give only after the teller counted everything. Instead of trying to make a joke that isn't original at all tell the teller how you really want your money in the 1st place. Tellers are required to report denominations given to the customer so a lot of times the teller will have to reverse the trans.
-Tellers are for transactions, not for mortgage applications, fee refunds, checkbook balancing, account openings, etc. & if the teller lets you know a banker will help you with that don't say "well I don't have time" then make a long awkward stare at the teller; besides you were willing to spend the time with the teller so having no time is no excuse.
-The drive thru is essentially for speedy transactions. If you want to make a withdraw have your ticket ready otherwise the teller will have to fill it out, send it to you for sig, wait to get it back from you..this always ties up everything.
-Tellers could really live without that migraine of a bell in the drive thru!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Just anther side note: If you don't have your account number that's fine but what about filling out the date? Your name? Amount?

I'm not whining, complaining nor am I saying that I ever show these frustrations to the clients that do these things, in fact, with a smile on my face I say "I'll be happy to do that for you" because it is my job. All I am doing, like most others on this site, is simply venting to the proper audience who can truly relate.

If you go to a restaurant your waitress should deliver your steak & potatoes but should she have to cut it up for you & feed it to you as well? I didn't think so ..

13 months ago

CS in Reston, Virginia said: Also, keep in mind that most bank customers have not been trained in bank telling like you have, or even bank using, for that matter.
As far as most of them are concerned, the bank is just the place where they keep their money and come back to get it when they need it.
Bank telling is a customer service position, and if a customer doesn't know about or understand something, you should just explain it to them in a friendly, clear, and non-condescending way.
If the teller is expecting the customer to follow rules he doesn't know he should, or which seem unnecessary, the teller can often come across as hostile to the customer, which results in a customer service failure.

The ATM doesn't give customers an attitude; you just swipe your card and follow the on-screen instructions.
Hopefully you have better customer service skills than the ATM, or else, why is the bank employing you?

I sympathize with your complaints about customers who are just rude or impatient (e.g. cell phone), but helping your customers when they need clarification or assistance shouldn't be a big deal for a good customer service rep , and honestly, what is the big deal about looking up a member number on the computer ?

I can see where your coming from. I wish every financial institution would completely ban the whole tickets thing. I feel at least if a customer is filling out their names, the date, etc then they are at least trying to make it a little easier on you. It really isn't even about the difficulty of the task its rather the rude attitude that tellers usually can't stand. But like I said in your case you at least tried & that's all that matters to me, even just writing the name so I can find the number is a big help.

NotfromCullman in Cullman, Alabama

12 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: I don't get it.

I will say all the tellers at my banks are very nice.

But I don't get it still.

I always tell my tellers, "Boy I wish I had an easy job like yours." And they all say the same thing. "No way, this is a stressful job!" Give me a break. I just don't get it.

Sounds like your bank tellers are doing their job correctly - if they make you THINK it looks easy!Way to go, this guy's bank!!! :)

12 months ago

JoeCustomer in Douglasville, Georgia said: Well, I wanted to chime in as a customer . I don't think I've ever had a rude teller even when I didn't have my wife's account number but I needed to make a deposit into her account. Also I make it a habit NOT to stare at the teller while I'm at the window (but it is natural to do that). Also something I have been doing for years is to drop the teller a few sealed pieces of candy or a candy bar or something in their drawer with my deposit. It helps them to remember me and it seems to put a smile on their face which is the main thing. I'm a Service Manager in another industry and I believe as a CSR, EVERY customer gets treated like royalty EVERY time. You never know what they may be going through as they stand (or sit) before your window. It's your opportunity to make their day just a little bit easier.

I was a teller for several years before I moved on to an Admin job - I must say, you sir are correct! I had a customer who always had some little sweets for the teller, always something kind to say and extrememly patient! And I guarentee the other tellers would still remember him today! I believe if the teller is good at his/her job, the customer would never see them sweat!

12 months ago

My biggest complaint would have to be that one guy who always comes in the bank with the most difficult transactions (his account is always in "trouble" to the point you have to have an officer's signature on anything he does), he usually gets a lot of cash back and pounds the counter telling you he's in a hurry. Our head teller gave him $2K too much once - it was a big nasty stink. He insisted it was his money, but her drawer was short that amount. He flusters and frustrates to the point that you cannot think straight! Fortunately, I had so little respect for him that I was not afraid to tell him that I was getting his cash, but I WAS going to count it out to him to be sure it was correct. A lot of times he would demand it from the teller, saying "I know it's right, I have to go!"...nuh, uh, buddy. You WILL wait on me to count it to you!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.