Bar tending job requirements

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

simplemoneymakingtips.blogspot.com in Brooklyn, New York

60 months ago

My question is why do all these bars and restaurants keep asking in their ads you need 2,3 and 4 years experience to work for their business. Well my response to that is that they are IGN0RANT because what about the Bartenders like me who are just finished with bartending school. Why don't they give us the opportunity or a chance to get the experience they always asking for to prove to them that people like us who are fresh in the business can be a contributing asset to their business. If you feel the same way please contact me. imercury88yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

youronlinestart.com in Kelso, Washington

60 months ago

Just finished bartending school? You've already learned so much like...b'tending school grads go to the bottom of the application stack.
If you're serious about being a b'tender apply for a job at a restaurant...any job! Take whatever position is offered. Then watch, listen, learn, work hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chelsea Willis in Salem, Oregon

60 months ago

youronlinestart.com in Kelso, Washington said: Just finished bartending school? You've already learned so much like...b'tending school grads go to the bottom of the application stack.
If you're serious about being a b'tender apply for a job at a restaurant...any job! Take whatever position is offered. Then watch, listen, learn, work hard.

Quick question: How long would it take to work your way from Hostess/server to Bartender?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

youronlinestart.com in Kelso, Washington

60 months ago

Chelsea Willis in Salem, Oregon said: Quick question: How long would it take to work your way from Hostess/server to Bartender?

It really depends on attitude. I know it's an over-used term but it's true. Work hard, learn and come to work with a smile on your face. You'd be surprised how fast you can move up. And don't forget that many food servers make more than bartenders. Same with cocktail servers.

Anything worth pursuing takes time. Don't be so anxious.
The only place you start at the top is diggin a hole.

Find a good restaurant, hotel etc and talk to some employees about how they like working there. Once you find a good one apply and take anything you can. Work your way up.

Find a good company and stick with it. Jumping around from job to job looks bad on a resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

nightlifeguy in New York, New York

59 months ago

visit www.audiodrinks.com for a qiuck start on learning over 200 mix drinks all on your MP3 or ipod. get a free trial

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

simple in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

the reason why we want people with experience, so I know if the person I'm hiring can handle the rush. many kids right out of those schools just can't handle the pressure of getting hit with 50 drinks in a 2 minute time frame, customers wanting food, a waitress giving you crap cause she wants a drink, the manager telling you he needs this and that on the fly, and the chief is pissed off cause you just can't get back to get the food off his life and your just screwing up his world back there.

You are untested and tried, that's why I will never give you a job my type of restraunt/club. You will cost me too much money for you to learn.

I suggest that you go to a country club and work. you will get experience dealing with customers, working with food, and doing large functions. Then when you get in the interview be prepared to pour me exactly one, half, quarter, and three quarter oz shot on command.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

bartendtk in Lake Charles, Louisiana

49 months ago

It takes two to tengo. Although, MOST bartending schools are fly by night, some schools are very reputable and offer on the job training. We all started somewhere. I think you forgot where you came from. I believe my students would preform very well under any type of pressure. let's be honest, even at high volume clubs the peak is 2-3 hours maximum, after that it's mostly conversation. I would think the better argument would be that you can not teach someone to be a people person, you either are energetic, fun, enthusiastic or dull. In earlier years I could push out 2,000 - 3,000 drinks a shift, and even then I would say 80% of my time was spent talking to people. I now am the CEO of www.bartend.tk Professional Bartending College, I would hire a bartending school graduate on the basis that he/she took the time to further their education in the field showing intrest and a willingness to learn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Los Angeles, California

49 months ago

californiabartendingjobs.blogspot.com/
has some info on becoming a bartender.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Los Angeles, California

49 months ago

You can make huge tips you just have to know how to get the job done! www.xomba.com/bartending_tips

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lorenzo C in Oxnard, California

48 months ago

bartendtk in Lake Charles, Louisiana said: It takes two to tengo. Although, MOST bartending schools are fly by night, some schools are very reputable and offer on the job training. We all started somewhere. I think you forgot where you came from. I believe my students would preform very well under any type of pressure. let's be honest, even at high volume clubs the peak is 2-3 hours maximum, after that it's mostly conversation. I would think the better argument would be that you can not teach someone to be a people person, you either are energetic, fun, enthusiastic or dull. In earlier years I could push out 2,000 - 3,000 drinks a shift, and even then I would say 80% of my time was spent talking to people. I now am the CEO of www.bartend.tk Professional Bartending College, I would hire a bartending school graduate on the basis that he/she took the time to further their education in the field showing intrest and a willingness to learn.

tipsalcoholtraining.blogspot.com/ has info on having the correct certification to serve alcohol properly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

KR in Denver, Colorado

30 months ago

Starting at the bottom is always the best way to learn. Watch, listen and learn. Bar school is a waste of money, no offense, but all the graduates come out thinking they can do it all. You can teach yourself recipes, glassware, and garnishes. But if you can't move fast with a full bar and servers, then you just can't expect to be hired in anything high volume.

You have to know how to prioritize, multi task, and keep up with the pace. It isn't always easy even for the seasoned bartender, but at least we know what to expect and know what our abilities are. I've rang $1,300.00, put out drinks for four servers who rang anywhere from $300 to $600 in liqour alone, without a bar back and it was tough, fun but tough. Good luck with your search, but really consider looking at a place that is slower, so you can find your way, routine, and how you run a bar. If there are opportunities for a night shift after you've proven yourself, ask for it. Give yourself at least a year at one place before you look for something else. Nothing is worse than a bartender who bounces around and can't hold a job for more than three months.

I've recently trained six bartenders right from bar school and only ONE coud cut it and he had never worked in the industry at all. He took the crappy shift, did everything he was asked, and has just out performed the other five. I would take him with me anywhere else I land....he's that good.

Again, good luck, don't be a know it all bar school grad. Be willing to learn and be taught your employer's ways, watch and learn from the senior staff, and you just may go far in this industry!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.