i dont understand,,,

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

cccourtney in Syosset, New York

54 months ago

okay, long story short.

im a certified medical biller/coder who has been out of school for like, six months already. cant find a job, no one will give me a chance. why? because i dont have PAID experience even though i went to school to become a medical biller(is that NOT experience?)

so, with all this being said, where am i supposed to get said experience from? anyone? anyone?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine in West Jordan, Utah

54 months ago

cccourtney in Syosset, New York said: okay, long story short.

im a certified medical biller/coder who has been out of school for like, six months already. cant find a job, no one will give me a chance. why? because i dont have PAID experience even though i went to school to become a medical biller(is that NOT experience?)

so, with all this being said, where am i supposed to get said experience from? anyone? anyone?

You are in the same boat as thousands of others who all went to school for medical coding without realizing that the market is flooded with new graduates with no experience.

While school is a good start to experience, it doesn't really count. I will assume that you took an 8 month certificate course (correct if you got a degree)which is a great start, but they only touch on the very basics, not near enough education for an actual coding job (sorry, but true)There are so many new increased regulations in regards to fraud that employers (more then ever) are only wanting very experienced coders.

after I finished school I took a job as a medical receptionist, got medical field experience. I volunteered to help out our billing/coding dept, and learned a lot. enough that I leveraged that experience into a charge entry (medical data entry) job, where I learned even more about coding. Which I used that experience to get my current real coding job.

It takes awhile, and you have to start out at the bottom, but be determined and never be too good to do something. When I volunteered to help out the billing dept, they all thought they were taking advantage of me, having me to the work that no one else wanted and for free. Well, the joke is on them, because I now make more money then they do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Delia in San Antonio, Texas

46 months ago

unfortunately that is the way it is, when I went into the medical field. Apply for any job in the medical field, any job, data entry, csr. The point is to get into the door. I was given the opportunity after working at a shoe store, I applied at a pharmacy for dme cler/didn't even know what that was, but I talked myself through and was hire on the spot, I haven't left the field since (2002)DONT GIVE UP, You will find something but take anything in the medical field, you don't have to start in billing. I've never done billing and just got hired. You have to know how to talk yourself through,personality is what counts....that gets you in, worry about experience later....God Bless You, cause I don't believe in luck it's always God's Will......

Peggy in Beaverton, Oregon

24 months ago

Hi, I'm Peggy. I had a background in secretarial work when I took my on-line medical billing course. I started in a clinic as a medical receptionist and kept letting them know I was interested in billing (they knew about my schooling). A year later I was in billing and now have 6 years experience under my belt....

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.