Are biomedical engineer job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 80)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most biomedical engineer opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

AshwaniGaur in Chandigarh, India

69 months ago

hi,
this is my first post here, excuse me , if posting in wrong thread.
i am looking for few ServiceManuals as :-

1.LabSystems (WellWash 4 MK2)
2.Shimadzu (UV-1201) SPECTROPHOTOMETER
3.Sartorius Electronic Balance-RC210D

IF ANYONE CAN SHARE,or EXCHANGE for Others
pls respond me at zero9zero4one127137
or
ashwanigaur.india at gmail dot com

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

john in Richmond, Texas

67 months ago

Pouya in Plano, Texas said: Yes, it is very hard. I just graduated with a BS in biomedical eng. and I am having the hardest time to find a job. Half of my graduating class did not have a job when they graduated. Those who did have a job got an offer through their past internship. I did an internship as well but my luck the company went out of business. If I could go back, I would have never majored in BME. The job market is horrible. Plus its a well known major either. Does anybody know if there any institute that provides training for recent grads from biomedical engineering, so that at least could get some practical training for the industry?

Did you get a BME job yet? How long did it take you? How difficult was it to find and where do you get it? Are you satisfied with job, pay, career advancement?

Reply - Report abuse

Ashwin ram, Anna university in Madras, India

66 months ago

does anyone know any biomedical companies, which are ready to recruit engineers. If so can u ppl give me some HR contacts.

Reply - Report abuse

kwakye in Accra, Ghana

66 months ago

where can I do my internship whiles in school as a bachelor degree holder??

Reply - Report abuse

swathy in Singapore, Singapore

63 months ago

roshny in Alappuzha, India said: i am also trying for a good job at biomedical feild so far i am also not satisfied with the jobs i have did at hospitals. i am also looking for good companies to take me. hope i ll get that.

dear do you know any masters degree course in Bio medical engineering on India other than
Sathyabama ??

Reply - Report abuse

Vinodini s in Coimbatore, India

62 months ago

Is it possible to get job in the hospitals with B.E Biomedical..?

Reply - Report abuse

Chaitra in Bangalore, India

60 months ago

Hai
I am AN electronics and communication engineer.
I have applied for BME for Masters at Chalmers in sweden.
I am shocked to see the comments.
I am really interested in contributing towards bioelectromagnetics. But also worried about the job prospects back in India.
Kindly guide.

Can I take up control systems/commnucation and still work for bioelectromagetics?

Reply - Report abuse

Chaitra in Bangalore, India

57 months ago

Hello everyone
I am Electronics and communication engineer with 1.6yrs of teaching experience.
I have got a seat in biomedical engineering at Chalmers, Sweden.
The courses seem pretty good.
I have even got a scholorship.
I have an interview with iit Kanpur,India in biosciences and bioengg dept for MTech.

Can anyone guide me with this to make a decision.
I am looking forward for a job back in India.(bangalore)
If not, then a PhD in India.

Reply - Report abuse

hari in Velluru, India

57 months ago

I'm in my 3rd year of my UG biomedical course. And i was hoping to prepare for GRE and do my Ms abroad. But from what i have read, it got me thinking again.
I'm really confused of what to do, after taking such a specific course I find myself without many options.
I have one year to decide. Either an Ms or MBA.
I really like the course and i want to continue but if it is so hard to find a job, I would have to try management. Also, my grades aren't very impressive and i dont expect to get any financial aid for the Ms.
I cant seem to come to a decision. please help me out

Reply - Report abuse

hari in Velluru, India

57 months ago

UdontKnowMEuNeverSeeMe in Wilmerding, Pennsylvania said: hari, you better off not taking MS or MBA at this time, you will get into a lot of debt and no job, in current economy even experienced MBA has no job prospect, so don't join their ranks. After your undergrad studies, try and find a job and get a few years of experiences (& save up money) before going back to school.

Good luck.

BTW, bilingual is awesome (get one if you got the chance), I found another job that is for ME with 50% increase from my current job.. time for me to move to another state

well thanks a lot :),I figure thats the best thing to do, but here in india it is insanely hard to find a job as a b.tech biomedical engineer. As far as i know there are only a handful of companies in the industry who are hiring biomedical engineers (GE, SIEMENS). I Have my placements next semester, but my chances of getting into one of those are very slim. The only jobs I could get into would be in some software company, which of course is not very thrilling. But like thousands of engineering graduates in India, we find ourselves ending up in IT and being complacent about it.

The most irritating part of BME is this wait, everyone around me associated with BME keeps assuring me that the healthcare sector will always constantly generate job opportunities and that biomedical is going to get big in a few yeas.
I'm still not sure what the reality is because that sounds right. logically.
Also, the company where I did an internship for a month had a huge market.
This is just something I noted, obviously I cant generalize it.

Reply - Report abuse

Pre-Med in Saint Paul, Minnesota

56 months ago

Hello!

I am currently going into my sophomore year at the University of Minnesota and am pursuing a BME degree. However, I am also planning on attending medical school. In the case that I don't end up in medicine, I would love to still be a part of the hospital atmosphere as a BME, but it seems that the job prospects are not nearly as good as I thought...should I be re-thinking my major as a pre-med?

Reply - Report abuse

UdontKnowMEuNeverSeeMe in Hagerstown, Maryland

56 months ago

Pre-Med in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: Hello!

I am currently going into my sophomore year at the University of Minnesota and am pursuing a BME degree. However, I am also planning on attending medical school. In the case that I don't end up in medicine, I would love to still be a part of the hospital atmosphere as a BME, but it seems that the job prospects are not nearly as good as I thought...should I be re-thinking my major as a pre-med?

Your alternative major as pre-med will have absolutely no job prospect compared to BME which currently has a low job prospect.
I majored in BME and all of the classes that I took are with pre-med students and with some other engineering disciplines.

You need a better alternative... pre-med = useless til you get a MD.

Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Pre-Med in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: Hello!

Your alternative major as pre-med will have absolutely no job prospect compared to BME which currently has a low job prospect.
I majored in BME and all of the classes that I took are with pre-med students and with some other engineering disciplines.

You need a better alternative... pre-med = useless til you get a MD.

Reply - Report abuse

mia in Miami, Florida

56 months ago

I am in the same boat as most of you. I've been working as a clerk a year and a half after I graduated as a biomedical engineer. I went to the NSB career fair in Las Vegas in 2009. Hence, I found a lot of good offers. Then the market crashed to the lowest and got me nowhere to be found. I've called back and sent out multiple emails to the companies that had taken their time to interview me there and offered a job. None of them have responded to me until today. Now, I consider going to nursing school and better prepared myself for the market again. I think with the nursing degree, I'll be more likely competitive for clinical or field engineer for company such as Medtronic. If I am wrong please let me know....among my graduating group, I may be the only one with no job. I was told by some of my friend whom I've asked to hook me up to go back to school and take some post graduate courses. Therefore, I'll be able to represent myself as an active or current student, and company will hire me a current student than a vacant graduate looking for job.

Reply - Report abuse

coga in Mexico, Mexico

56 months ago

Hello everyone, I'm applying towards a masters degree on Biomedical engineering, but after reading all the negative comments in here and in the science careers forum about BME, among other websites, I'm now skeptical. I have a B.S. in Biotechnology Engineering and I'm interested in biomaterials and tissue engineering as I'm currently involved on a research project dealing with cell therapy and stem cells. I'm applying for the Duke MSEng with a concentration biomedical engineering. I think these is a strong program as it prepares you for industry rather than academia and you take core engineering courses, have an internship requirement. Anyway, does anyone has any feedback on this program? Would it be better to just apply for a Masters in Mechanical Engineering and then focus on biomaterials, even though I have a biotechnology background? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply - Report abuse

nadeemmalik in Slough, United Kingdom

56 months ago

Vikram Ramakanth in Montgomery, Texas said: I am a doctoral biomedical engineer and have been looking for a software/instrumentation position for a couple of months. I haven't had much luck thus far. Certainly seems that getting a job in this field is not easy.

Use the Google tool bar....... search for companies websites biomedical companies.

Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

get yourself on linkedin find the job you want.....search on company websites...register with agencies.........you will get what you want and when you do let me know please.

Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

send me your Cv nadeemmalik_4@hotmail.com

Reply - Report abuse

ss in Hacienda Heights, California

55 months ago

i feel like you really need to specialize, or else it's extremely difficult. although they say medical device field may grow rapidly, please don't equate this to Biomedical engineering position grow rapidly, as i did searches and many device companies hire way more mech, ee, and software ppl than bme. double major to be safe.

Reply - Report abuse

ss in Hacienda Heights, California

55 months ago

it's kinda difficult

Reply - Report abuse

rishabh anand in Delhi, India

55 months ago

i am recently selected in biomedical engg in national institute technology for b tech in bio medical engg. in raipur , INDIA. Should i take admisssion in it as after looking to your comments i think there is still much time this field will take to establish an dgetting jobs is still hard ?

Reply - Report abuse

Omarl in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

Im a 26 year old looking to get back to school. I pondered the idea of going for nursing, but find engineering to be more to my liking. Since I enjoy the whole medical field, I was thinking of a bachelors in biomed engineering. After reading all the comments I'm not too sure anymore??? I'm thinking either EE or ME. Any ideas on what I should do??

Reply - Report abuse

funnyguy1823 in Woodbury, New York

55 months ago

In addition to the poor writing, most of these guys are from India...

Here's some useful advice to BME prospects in the U.S. First, earn a ME or EE degree for your UG. I did BME for my UG but if I could I would advise people to do ME or EE instead. Reason is you have a fallback industry and are guaranteed jobs. Second, make sure your program is ABET accredited. If you're in India or Europe, find the equivalent or good luck with getting jobs. This is one of the biggest mistakes you could make: selecting a non-accredited institution or taking shortcuts with associate/post bac degrees. Job employers will usually know the programs that are ABET accredited which is a standard of education in engineering. I feel like most of the guys/gals here did not choose an ABET school because of financial or other reasons and therefore are struggling. Third, pick up skills in research opportunities or internships that will help you do what you want to do as a career. You get nothing from just a BME degree in UG. Trust me, I would know. I learned everything useful in a lab or on my own. Lastly, perform well in your program. I'd say about 8 students of my graduating class actually worked hard (including myself) and got to go places they wanted to. Most are Phd and Md candidates but 2 got jobs paying 60k+. (Medtronic and Pfizer). The others were lazing and now are on Facebook all day whining.

I'm working on my PhD in BME focusing on projects that will give me skills to work for Medtronic. Don't know how hard it will be to get a job when I graduate but I already connected to a family friend who works there

Reply - Report abuse

TheAnnieJp in London, United Kingdom

55 months ago

I am currently doing my A levels in UK and planning to study masters in biomedical engineering at some good uni. My school is currently preparing for everyones' application and i have been given deadline of one week to decide what to study further. I have allready changed my decision twice on what to study at university, and finally realised that biomedical engineering is something good for me and i would enjoy doing it. I really want to study biomedical engineering. However reading all the stuff on this website, once again I am super confused.Someone please help....what shall i do..??

Reply - Report abuse

arjun in Hyderabad, India

55 months ago

i have completed my 12th syandard i have got seat in top coolege in hyderabad for the staeme biomedical engineering but i think there are no jobs for it so i have to live it

Reply - Report abuse

TheAnnieJp in London, United Kingdom

55 months ago

The thing is that...now i think that medical engineering is not that bad....its something i wanted to do it nd i will still do it..by the time i will finish it it will be after 5 or 6 years and situation might change...there may be a huge demand and so variety of jobs...and if there are chances that i might have to struggle i will try to study it combined with electrical so that i am atleast safe on one side..and i will also try to get some experience as that is what i think is really important for this as it is still quite new area of study....at last...i prefer it is batter to study something that i actually enjoy and see the situation after i finish my degree..atleast i will get a job somewhere..rather than do something which is not for me and i would completely waste my time....anyways thnxx indeed..!!

Reply - Report abuse

css in Mumbai, India

54 months ago

sree in Thrissur, India said: Currently there is no much job opportunities.............in india

no dear....not for fresher atleast

Reply - Report abuse

Ali in Qatar

54 months ago

Hello, I have opportunity for biomedical engineer (Service) in qatar, who is interested please send your CV to medicalequipment.qatar@gmail.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Bob in Bradenton, Florida

54 months ago

I'm more interested in the biomedical side than the engineering side of BME, so I'd rather not major in EE or ME unless I have to. However, I don't want to be unemployed after graduation. Should I major in Chemical Engineering, stick with Biomedical engineering, or something else?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Tyler in Chicago, Illinois

54 months ago

Bob in Bradenton, Florida said: I'm more interested in the biomedical side than the engineering side of BME, so I'd rather not major in EE or ME unless I have to. However, I don't want to be unemployed after graduation. Should I major in Chemical Engineering, stick with Biomedical engineering, or something else?

What specific aspects of biomedical are you interested in? Almost all of the biomedical products (AED's, Imaging devices, Signal Processing Units etc.) are a combination of computer software, electrical circuits and mechanical engineering design. The purpose of a Biomedical Engineering degree is to be able to apply the practice of engineering to the medical field.

People in this forum are complaining about how the job availability for BME degrees alone are non existent. They are there but you need to have the skills that make you marketable to the hiring companies. That being said I agree with the reasoning that you need to have a specified concentration in order to grab the attention of hiring managers. Most BME programs have specific tracks (i'm doing bioinformatics) so I have the most knowledge of computer science.

Anyways you said that you don't want to do EE or ME unless you have to. DON'T pursue a degree you don't enjoy. You want to study something that you actually want to wake up and work on the rest of your life. You mentioned chemical engineering. There are a lot of opportunities at pharmaceutical companies in drug development and delivery but other than that I wouldn't count on any BME opportunities in the field with a specialization in the chemical aspect.

Reply - Report abuse

Moonlight in Wichita, Kansas

54 months ago

NMSTL in El Monte, California said: It is true just like the Ph.D guy said we need to plan things out beforehead. I myself am BME master and am just planning to enter the job market. My honest suggestion: 1. as an bachelor, don't do BME, instead pick EE/ME/CS, and you can always minor in bio. B/c lots of Bio companies prefer those majors than a BME which is a little bit of everything but not specific enough to handle a job. 2. If you go for Ph.D, BME wasn't bad at all, b/c it's easy to get grant, and then during 5-6 year time you can take a lot of class and finish w/ 2-3 masters(EE, ME, CS) so when u r done,you have more options... good luck guys, as for me, I really plan to get a 2nd master in CS, which is lucrative and easy to find a job, even in Bio field.

True! Get the solid background for one major first:1- any engineering field (ME, AE, CE, EE) or health major (RN, LPN, PT, etc.. Then take Biomedical. It is big help and you can look for work more easier. It also concrete what you study

Reply - Report abuse

Bob in Bradenton, Florida

54 months ago

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping to do cell and tissue engineering or biomedical-based R and D. Working for a pharmaceuticals company would be great, so I might do Chemical with a Biomedical minor to give myself options.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

BMEAspi in Indianapolis, Indiana

54 months ago

funnyguy1823 in Woodbury, New York said: In addition to the poor writing, most of these guys are from India...

Here's some useful advice to BME prospects in the U.S. First, earn a ME or EE degree for your UG. I did BME for my UG but if I could I would advise people to do ME or EE instead. Reason is you have a fallback industry and are guaranteed jobs. Second, make sure your program is ABET accredited. If you're in India or Europe, find the equivalent or good luck with getting jobs. This is one of the biggest mistakes you could make: selecting a non-accredited institution or taking shortcuts with associate /post bac degrees. Job employers will usually know the programs that are ABET accredited which is a standard of education in engineering . I feel like most of the guys/gals here did not choose an ABET school because of financial or other reasons and therefore are struggling. Third, pick up skills in research opportunities or internships that will help you do what you want to do as a career. You get nothing from just a BME degree in UG. Trust me, I would know. I learned everything useful in a lab or on my own. Lastly, perform well in your program. I'd say about 8 students of my graduating class actually worked hard (including myself) and got to go places they wanted to. Most are Phd and Md candidates but 2 got jobs paying 60k+. (Medtronic and Pfizer). The others were lazing and now are on Facebook all day whining.

I'm working on my PhD in BME focusing on projects that will give me skills to work for Medtronic. Don't know how hard it will be to get a job when I graduate but I already connected to a family friend who works there

I am planning to do higher studies too . I have a MS in BME and look forward to work in Medtronic too. You mentioned you are doing PHD , what is your concentration now ..like what are you focussing on ?

Reply - Report abuse

BMEprospect in New York, New York

54 months ago

Very interesting discussions.
I tried to look for a BME forum, but failed to find one; however I am glad that I found this dicussion and perhaps I can obtain some opinions from you, especially those who are already in the BME field.

Some did bring up Computer Science among the posts, here I am, I come from a CS world.

Although this may not interest some of you,
but here is a little background info:
=============================================
My name is Eric, a New York local. I hold a BS in Computer Science and have been working in the software field for some numbers of years now, I chose CS as my major because

(1) I find coding fun ever since I took the first programming class in high school.
(2) CS is one of those fields that you can find jobs straight out from college with a bachelor, and virtually everywhere geographically. (still, competitions exist in the job market, those who have more experiences/skills win)

Going for advanced CS degree (MS, PhD) dont make much a difference in *most* software jobs, experiences and skills count, not degrees; unless you aim at doing research or join academia as a faculty member.

Therefore, I have a half-ass master degree (not technically a master yet since I am 15 credits away from completion) but I have no desires in finishing it.
Simple math, Investment (time + money in advanced education) *may* not yield returns on your investment (higher income with an advanced degree), conclusion: risky investment.

--------------------------------------------

Seeking higher education was not in my mind because I had no time to go to school while working full time; Class schedules wise, advanced CS masters level courses are not really designed for working class people.
Many core courses are only offer in the morning or in the afternoon time.

It all changed since I got a job at a health institute, still doing software development, but I work with and around medical doctors on a daily basis, and have

Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

It all changed since I got a job at a health institute, still doing software development, but I work with and around medical doctors on a daily basis, and have been influenced by those around me, and by the setting, by the environment, day after day.

I began to search for medically related field that I can use my software skills and/or my degrees toward.
There I found Bioinformatics, I had no idea what the heck it is, but further researches have given me more understanding about what bioinformaticians do, what the researches are about; it is a field that conveniently requires bachelor in CS, Math or related major as a Masters program entrance prerequisite, seem like a good fit.

----------------------------------

Why talk about something other than BME? I am getting to it..

Software development is one of many fields that require you to constantly upgrade/expand your knowledge, catch up with latest technologies, new techniques, in order to climb to a higher position (more dollars) and to survive.

For example, today it takes 10 steps, 15 lines of code to *conditioned* the input data and produce the result you look for (mathmatically and programmatically) because there is no built-in function from the language you use that does exactly what you need.

2 years later, one of the many updates to the technology then include this functionality you dont have today,
You are consider outdated and blame at writing unncessary code if you dont know about this new feature and continue to do your 15 lines of codes (even if you write a function and reuse those 15 lines)

We must know whats new, learn it and use it, so that we do not *re-invent* the wheel.

Of course one can get by if you stay with the same job, but the key to earn potential higher income is by seeking and switching to a new position, usually other company;

Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

If you land an interview, the hiring companies will only test your knowledges on the latest technologies, you can B.S. over it, talk like you know it but in fact you dont know s**t, like some politicians; but still you must learn the new techs to know what they offer in order to be able to B.S.

Not to discourage anyone who looks forward to get into software development
It all are just my personal opinions and thoughts, I find all these *tasteless*, tired on the idea that you must keep track of what new stuff comes out, it's normal, doctors learn new meds too, but hell computing technologies change in a blink of the eyes.

I slowly begin to dislike programming, and see no future in it, and certainly dont wanna end up in the IT/software field, it maybe the reason why I find no interest in Bioinformatics
(which largely deal with data & database manipulations, data mining, finding pattern, extracting useful data, etc.) Although I find the human genonme related research somewhat interesting, but I just dont have the burning desires to take role and be part of it.

Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

--------------------------------------

Want career change, preferably health care related, something that benefits humanity, but what?
Medicine, not my thing. although it has always been in the back of my mind since early teen. It is even more uncertain than CS.

*IF* I am lucky enough to get accepted in DO or MD school and survive the rigurous med school yrs, without residency, (there are MDs who cannot get into residency every year, since the number of the available positions are less than the number of graduates)
Without license to practice, the MD degree is worthless, although it makes your name look good on a christmas card with a MD suffix.

---------------------------------------

There I found BME, the more I read about it, the more I research about it, the more passionate I have become, wanting to do it, wanting to be part of it; especailly with medical devices research, including nanotechnology.

I have exchanged emails with several professors of the BME department from a couple of universities, in their position, they wouldn't say negative or discouraging, however, all come back with one big question mark. "Are you Sure?" and kindly advised me to re-think bioinformatics and/or systems/computational biology, leveraging my CS background.

Going into an Engineering field (masters) from a non-engineering background more or less is like starting school from scratch since there are many prerequisited courses an applicant must have before applying for the masters program; I checked the application guideline from several schools, on average I need to take 12-13 classes before becoming eligible to apply for Masters in BME.

(I have several physics, linear algebra, differential equations, Calculus up to multi-variable from my CS degree, but thats it. I have no bio, no chem, no bio-chem, and any engineering classes)

Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Finally get to the question that I'd like to obtain your opinions about.
People say go for what you love doing, so you wont be a zombie at work or a clock watcher.

It is ideal to do what you love while making $$ of course, but how many of us can really do what we love?
Not to mention love does change, you love doing this today, you may love others tomorrow.

I wont know for sure that BME is for me or whether or not I really like it until I am actually doing it, but the research topics (most of them, if not all) are very interesting, and hell I want to be part of it.

Consider studying part-time, it will take me 3 years (6 semesters) at a pace of 2 courses per semester to fulfill the prerequisite requirement to become an eligible Master degree applicant.
(I am not ready financially to go school and *not-work* or work part-time)

What do you guys think? dumb move? Go for it?

I hope to obtain your thoughts, even your words attack/offend me full-on.

-Eric

Reply - Report abuse

UdontKnowMEuNeverSeeMe in Wilmerding, Pennsylvania

54 months ago

BMEprospect in New York, New York said: Finally get to the question that I'd like to obtain your opinions about.
People say go for what you love doing, so you wont be a zombie at work or a clock watcher.

It is ideal to do what you love while making $$ of course, but how many of us can really do what we love?
Not to mention love does change, you love doing this today, you may love others tomorrow.

I wont know for sure that BME is for me or whether or not I really like it until I am actually doing it, but the research topics (most of them, if not all) are very interesting, and hell I want to be part of it.

Consider studying part-time, it will take me 3 years (6 semesters) at a pace of 2 courses per semester to fulfill the prerequisite requirement to become an eligible Master degree applicant.
(I am not ready financially to go school and *not-work* or work part-time)

What do you guys think? dumb move? Go for it?

I hope to obtain your thoughts, even your words attack/offend me full-on.

-Eric

Dude your questions is way to long, you should instead of justifying your action, just say it: YOU WANT TO DO BIOMEDICAL engineering! Stop skipping stones, just attend the class :)

But here is a reality check for you, biomedical engineers don't get good pay (not as well as EE or ME) and finding such field w/o job experiences can be very tough (as you have see from all the comments here).

In my current job, I have met 2 ME that have over 10 years of experiences in medical device development but now they work at railway electronic company, so I do think industry for medical device has gone bad, but since they are ME, it is easier for them to transfer their skills to another job.

Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Short answer, don't do BME unless you really have the means to support yourself (for a few years).

Reply - Report abuse

XlX in philadelphia, Pennsylvania

54 months ago

Jobs are non existent.

Ask yourself

-How many tissue engineering companies exist that make a profit?
-How many nanoparticle technologies has the FDA ever approved?
-How many people has Pharma laid off over the past 5 years?

Even if you go into the medical imaging side, what kind of jobs will you land with that other than being a maintenance tech that has to travel from hospital to hospital in order to fix imaging machines?

Get a EE or ME degree and learn programming. You can do anything a BME does and learn biology on the side. BME gets a TON of hype, but really, where are the jobs?

Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Thanks to both "UdontKnowMEuNeverSeeMe" and "XIX".
In my situation, I am already doing software development professionally, but I do not want to stick with programming for the rest of my life.

My company promotes education, I get to work full-time without a penny reduction on my paycheck and can go attend classes at the same time, leverage the tuition reimbursement program.

Obtain an advanced degree while working and earning full-time salary, good deal. Therefore I am considering BME because I find the research areas interesting.

On the other hand, EE, I have many friends with EE degrees flowing into the software programming field, and I am the one who wants to get out. Heh.

Reply - Report abuse

bharatparin@*****.*** in Ahmadabad, India

54 months ago

i have passed my mechinical engineering in jyne 2012 & planning to do biomedical enginnering from germany. is it o.k.? job pospectus in biomedical enginering ?

Reply - Report abuse

James in Concord, Massachusetts

54 months ago

BMEprospect in New York, New York said: Thanks to both "UdontKnowMEuNeverSeeMe" and "XIX".
In my situation, I am already doing software development professionally, but I do not want to stick with programming for the rest of my life.

My company promotes education , I get to work full-time without a penny reduction on my paycheck and can go attend classes at the same time, leverage the tuition reimbursement program.

Obtain an advanced degree while working and earning full-time salary, good deal. Therefore I am considering BME because I find the research areas interesting.

On the other hand, EE, I have many friends with EE degrees flowing into the software programming field, and I am the one who wants to get out. Heh.

Eric,

I wouldn't thank either of the guys above for their advice. They noticed your post continued over the course of two pages and didn't take the time to understand what you were asking. They instead just decided to post a response about what they have read (which was not a lot).

I am currently pursuing a bioinformatics B.S degree. The reason why you got responses from the graduate program professors saying "Are you sure?" is because you are very unsure yourself about what you want. You said your self something along the lines of "I need to take 13 more classes to catch up and pursue a BME graduate degree. Am I willing to put in the time to obtain that career path, or should I just stick with what I am doing until I retire." (HELLO - none of us know the answer to that besides yourself) You say that you want to get on a track where you can help people. Take a look at this link and see if it interests you. You do need embedded microcontroller experience and also have knowledge of ECE related stuff but it is a very morally pleasing career if that's all you are after.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj1Y5eEU-j4

Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

James, just to let you know this is indeed.com there is no benefit for people to post any thing except to help another person seeking a degree that I (and probably XlX) already have, I have been on this form for a while now, ever since I couldn't find a job for my BME degree to the point of me using my ME degree to get a full time position. So we provide a realist financial advise to someone who is unsure of themselves, what you are providing is "going with what you love or passionate about" that advise has gotten quite a few recent undergrads with no job prospective what-so-ever, are you sure you should be giving out such advise with our current economy in the gutter?

Also, it seems finance is on BMEprospect's side as his company is willing to pay for his continuation of education.

Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

UdontKnowMEuNeverSeeMe in Hagerstown, Maryland said: James, just to let you know this is indeed.com there is no benefit for people to post any thing except to help another person seeking a degree that I (and probably XlX) already have, I have been on this form for a while now, ever since I couldn't find a job for my BME degree to the point of me using my ME degree to get a full time position. So we provide a realist financial advise to someone who is unsure of themselves, what you are providing is "going with what you love or passionate about" that advise has gotten quite a few recent undergrads with no job prospective what-so-ever, are you sure you should be giving out such advise with our current economy in the gutter?

Also, it seems finance is on BMEprospect's side as his company is willing to pay for his continuation of education.

Once again, did you read his entire post?

"...to help another person seeking a degree that I (and probably XlX) already have.." - I didn't know you and XIX already had bioinformatics degrees.

XIX is telling him to learn programing - ***NEWSFLASH*** he is already doing that as a full time job.

Bottom line is that you need to go to where the jobs are. Boston, MA : San Diego, Ca : Chicago, IL : and a couple smaller cities like Atlanta, GA and Nashville, TN are the common places where these companies reside. Obviously if your sitting in the middle of nowhere complaining there's no jobs then your probably right. Take Pennsylvania for example (obviously not the middle of nowhere so things should better than most places). Name 10 BME companies that are in Philly. Ready, Set, GO. That's what I though...

Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

James, you will need to re-read some of comments here, newsflash the advise we're giving out here are for people that are seeking to get a fresh degree in BME hoping that will lead them to a job.

Its true, THE JOBS ARE EVERYWHERE, but DO YOU HAVE THE EXPERIENCES TO TAKE THEM? I live in Germantown, MD where I270 are full of technology companies but they are mostly seeking to hire people that work in BME industries with years of experiences, not a person with a fresh degree of BME.

Bottom line is that you should not be giving out advises to people regarding "follow your heart" this advise has gotten majority of recent grads with nothing but student debts!

FYI when you have no money, and mountain of debts, just "moving to a job place" will be a very difficult feat. Be realist, don't be such an idealist!

Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

UdontKnowMEuNeverSeeMe in Hagerstown, Maryland said: James, you will need to re-read some of comments here, newsflash the advise we're giving out here are for people that are seeking to get a fresh degree in BME hoping that will lead them to a job.

Its true, THE JOBS ARE EVERYWHERE, but DO YOU HAVE THE EXPERIENCES TO TAKE THEM? I live in Germantown, MD where I270 are full of technology companies but they are mostly seeking to hire people that work in BME industries with years of experiences, not a person with a fresh degree of BME.

Bottom line is that you should not be giving out advises to people regarding "follow your heart" this advise has gotten majority of recent grads with nothing but student debts!

FYI when you have no money, and mountain of debts, just "moving to a job place" will be a very difficult feat. Be realist, don't be such an idealist!

First things first it's "advice" not "advise". Perhaps when people send in cover letters and emails with those types of mistakes that is the reason they are not being hired...

BME companies need a plethora of disciplines in order to make products. If they are hiring someone for an ME or EE job it matters how much experience they have in general NOT specifically in the BME field.

PS - When you have mountains of debt and just sit there in the same situation not willing to take a chance and pursue your dreams and passions then you will likely be there for the rest of your life. Good luck with that

Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

James, perhaps you need to re-read some of the comments here, I have dual degrees in ME and BME and from my current experiences BME will get you no where.

I have 2 years of experiences in working as co-ops with medical technology companies and I get no job offer in 6 months of trying with my BME degree, after that I decided to apply for ME job and I received 2 offers for ME in MD within a month.

That is my experiences and that is what my 'advise' to potential BME students. Don't take the route that will probably get you no where but debts. FYI, I'm have a full time job with another offer in California, and I have no debts what so ever but this is all because I have backup degree in ME.

P.S. There is no need for you to give out useless 'advice' unless you have walked the same path. I have met 2 ME in my current job that has 10 years+ of experiences working for medical device industry but now they are working for a Railway industry <--- do you even understand why they don't bother to apply for another BME job but instead went for ME position (hint: its the BME job market)

Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.