Getting a biomedical technician job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 84)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

How did you get your start doing biomedical technician work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

sandy sizemore in Bronson, Florida

91 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing biomedical technician work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

im only a cna with no exp, in this field, but id like to try my hand at it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

David in Vista, California

91 months ago

I'm a biomed tech with a bachelor's but the pay isn't that great

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Matt D in Zionsville, Indiana

90 months ago

A biomedical tech job consists of an associates degree in either electronics technology or biomedical electronics technology. A bachelors degree is available but doesn't typically pay more money. Certifications are available once experience is gained. For starteds I would recommend getting your A+ certification. This will help you get your foot in the door. Some hospitals have part time or temporary positions available but do not post these positions. It's almost like you have to know someone that knows someone. This will help you get more training. The pay is average but the possibilities for learning is endless

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Ocean Springs, Mississippi

86 months ago

This may be way too late...

I'm a Biomedical Equipment Technician (BMET) in the Air Force.

The best place to get training is honestly the military. In my class was a guy who had a Masters Degree from Duke University in Biomedical Engineering and he even said that Duke U. didn't train him as well as the Air Force did. Reason is that the military has the money to put you in a room with $3M worth of X-ray equipment and turn you lose (fix it or brake it). Even in the civilian hospitals/industry, it's estimated that 50% of the BMET's came from the military.

If the military's just not an option for you, than you'll have to dig a little more to find schools that offer this sort of training. I'd try IT-Tech schools and etc.

As far as the money...it all depends where you go to work. Working for the big equipment manufacturer's and specializing in one piece of equipment is where the real money is at. However, my last supervisor retired from the Air Force and started out making $100,000 working a hospital in AZ. So the opportunities are out there, but it of course will depend on your experience and job knowledge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

spido in UTICA, New York

82 months ago

hi im 46 years old looking to start new field of work any insight would be helpful not even sure how to get started or were to look for training

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

hirewill in Jacksonville, Florida

82 months ago

Hi. I'm 42 and am looking to find a new line of work myself. I am considering something in the medical field. Right now I thinking of this or dental hygienist training since I can get it done in about 2 years. Any information would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

scott in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

77 months ago

Hello,

Does this field require heavy lifting of equipment? What's a day like in the life on a Biomedical Equipment Tech?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brent in Redwood City, California

75 months ago

I'd like some advice on getting training for a BMET position. I've been a Software Developer for 20 years and I'm planning a mid-life career change into an Allied health field, with BMET being my first choice. I have some past experience doing calibration and minor repairs on computers and other electronic devices, but most of my experience is in software engineering.

Unfortunately there are no colleges in my area that offer a BMET degree, so my plan is to get an A.S. degree in Electronics Technology supplemented by classes in Anatomy, physiology and Biomedical terminology. I'd like advice as to whether this is a good plan, and if there are other areas of knowledge that I should focus on that would improve my chances of getting a BMET job. Id also like to know if my background in software development is an asset.

Thanks for your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Matt D in Indianapolis, Indiana

75 months ago

Brent, Your background is definitely an asset to pursue BMET as a career. An AS degree is the most accepted degree to get into BMET work. Come to think about it Almost every BMET I know only has a AS degree. I am currently pursuing my BA it IUPUI university. Indiana Purdue University Indianapolis has this program available and most of the courses are done online. Barabra Christie is the program director. I am currently taking classes and 80% of the students in the course are from around the country. Also once your enrolled in a program some employers will hire while you work to complete your degree, it just depends on the managment and facility.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mazhar uddin ahmed in kurnool, India

75 months ago

hello anybody is there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

SISTALUVA in Chapel Hill, North Carolina

73 months ago

Dr.S.Rasuli in Kabul, Afghanistan said: Could you please help me in finding BMET retired from Army and are willing to work in Afghanistan,security ,medical service and accommodation will be provided.i need thier CV and expected salary ,
regard

Hey I would be interested ....email me smford@beckman.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

James60 in California

71 months ago

Dr.S.Rasuli in Kabul, Afghanistan

Could you please help me in finding BMET retired from Army and are willing to work in Afghanistan,security ,medical service and accommodation will be provided.i need thier CV and expected salary ,
regard

I would like more info please.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

J. M. T. in Indianapolis, Indiana

71 months ago

Brent in Redwood City, California said: I'd like some advice on getting training for a BMET position. I've been a Software Developer for 20 years and I'm planning a mid-life career change into an Allied health field, with BMET being my first choice. I have some past experience doing calibration and minor repairs on computers and other electronic devices, but most of my experience is in software engineering.

Unfortunately there are no colleges in my area that offer a BMET degree, so my plan is to get an A.S. degree in Electronics Technology supplemented by classes in Anatomy, physiology and Biomedical terminology. I'd like advice as to whether this is a good plan, and if there are other areas of knowledge that I should focus on that would improve my chances of getting a BMET job. Id also like to know if my background in software development is an asset.

Thanks for your help.

I repair patient related equipment in a Hospital. Medical Engineering. This job is screwdrivers and volt ohm meters. Some heavy lifting. Working in awkward positions. The day goes fast and it is never boring. I like working with the RN's regarding equipment failure. I test CPU circuit boards for voltage output and control volts which 1.5V. to
6 v. If a circuit board is bad, I replace the circuit board. I have used Ohm's law and the resistor color code a few times since I entered the field in 1982. I have studied electricity through capacitive and inductive reactance. I also studied series parallel circuits. This was in an electrician's apprenticeship. I have worked around people with Tech School training and AAS degrees, which is training they never use. I worked with one Clinical Engineer who could trouble shoot circuit boards and replace components from 1982 untill 1987. I called him about five years ago and we talked. He was working for Hewlett Packard. He said the skill of repairing circuit boards has been lost, no one does that anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

J. M. T. in Indianapolis, Indiana

71 months ago

scott in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Hello,

Does this field require heavy lifting of equipment? What's a day like in the life on a Biomedical Equipment Tech?

The day is never boring and time goes fast. I have injured my back twice lifting hospital beds. You may not use the training acquired with a two year AAS training program. I might be difficult to get the job without an AAS in electronics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Miami, Florida

71 months ago

My local Community College offers a 2 year in Biomedical Engineering Technology. I"m signed up for that course already.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Edgar in Corpus Christi, Texas

70 months ago

Does anybody out there know anybody biomed witha criminal background and still got hired at a hospital?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Mansoor Ahmadi in Kabul, Afghanistan

70 months ago

Stephen,
how many BMETS have you provided? You told me you were offering $150K a year and now you dropped it to $130K. Why the change?

When are you coming to Afghanistan?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

So Stephen, WHAT COMPANY are you providing BMETS for? You never mention it! We cant tell if it is a legit company or not. Judging from your ads, I think it probably isnt!!!.
I think you are just getting leads for Mesogroup.
Promising $150k and then dropping the salarys (Now down 20K already).

This way you can get resumes and not deliver a thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

I am not a hater, I just want answers. I am not with the Indian company as you stated. Where are you getting your information? You state "the Indian company that just had their contract rejected because of fraudulent BMETs" where did that info come from? You talk about Dick Berg, how can you say that you will pay more than them? Do you know their pay scale? You say that the BMETs will be working with a legitimate Afghani company, What is their experience in Biomedical Repair? You also say "Meso Group had contract for 2 years but it was not renewed because their BMETs were not qualified!!" Where did that info come from? If you read the mesogroup website
It seems that mesogroup has a large qualified staff located in Afghanistan.
Read this web page about mesogroup, it shows a different side. I found it surfing mesogroup online. Mesogroup is MESOPOTAMIA GROUP LLC
You can also google Iraq john dawkins geoff nordloh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Stephen Ford in Chapel Hill, North Carolina

70 months ago

It is funny to me that you want answers...yet who are you that I should provide you with answers...I neither answer to you nor do I owe you any information as you are not a former or current military biomed. I am only interested in talking to former military BMETs...that is all. I know all about Meso group. They are a very big company headquatered in Dubai. They have many people in Afghanistan. Who they do not have is experienced former US military BMETs. I am a former US military BMET and have worked in Iraq and Korea and trained many other BMETs. So having said that...I owe you no more explanation. And..yes I do know the american companies pay scales...they have tried to recruit some of my guys...lol...without success...obviously...lol...who in their right mind would go to a war zone for a measley $80k...a bmet can make that here in the states no problem!! I have seen the contract offered by meso group and others....I have a copy here now. John Dawkins thinks he is going to be the shop foreman or supervisor over there. I know all about him. He is an old school BMET who graduated from Fitz...the old military BMET school. He is not up on the new military equipment or procedures as I am.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Stephen Ford in Chapel Hill, North Carolina said: It is funny to me that you want answers...yet who are you that I should provide you with answers...I neither answer to you nor do I owe you any information as you are not a former or current military biomed. I am only interested in talking to former military BMETs...that is all. I know all about Meso group. They are a very big company headquatered in Dubai. They have many people in Afghanistan. Who they do not have is experienced former US military BMETs. I am a former US military BMET and have worked in Iraq and Korea and trained many other BMETs. So having said that...I owe you no more explanation. And..yes I do know the american companies pay scales...they have tried to recruit some of my guys...lol...without success...obviously...lol...who in their right mind would go to a war zone for a measley $80k...a bmet can make that here in the states no problem!! I have seen the contract offered by meso group and others....I have a copy here now. Robert Campbell thinks he is going to be the shop foreman or supervisor over there. I know all about him. He is an old school BMET who graduated from Fitz...the old military BMET school. He is not up on the new military equipment or procedures as I am.

;-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole Johnson in Moreno Valley, California

70 months ago

For those that are looking for education that does not include joining the military there is a very good hands on biomedical school called SCIT(SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY) in Anaheim, CA. The teachers work with you to give you all the training you need! classes are small and all questions are answered or displayed for the class to learn! The guy who just started the department of bio medical has his masters in biomedical engineering and is currently working on his PHD. This school helps with grants and loans! I have received so much financial assistance I might not have to pay back anything when I am finished. Oh and actually receive money from excess grants when all said and done! Super cool if it sounds good to you check it out! Only female Electrical Engineer with a dual major in Biomedical Engineering!! Way cool!!!! check it out!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Do you speak English? in Camillus, New York

70 months ago

There is a big difference between biomedical technicians and biomedical engineering technicians. Should not you all know that? It is like comparing Rome in Italy with Rome in Georgia! To conclude, no comment answered question from the beginning.

To start as biomedical technician you can go for BS in biology, biomedical technology, biotechnology, medical technology, medical chemistry, pharmacology and toxicology.

It is not all about repairing and maintaining instruments, but conducting tests and experiments as helping hand to scientists and medical professionals. The job includes routine work in setting up, operating, and maintaining laboratory instruments, monitoring experiments, making observations, calculating and recording results, and with more experience developing conclusions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Answer for Spido in Camillus, New York

70 months ago

Hi. I'm 42 and am looking to find a new line of work myself. I am considering something in the medical field. Right now I thinking of this or dental hygienist training since I can get it done in about 2 years. Any information would be appreciated.

answer:

Hi Spido!

Dental hygienist requires less education than biomedical technician job, it is better payed and more in demand. Job prospects are very good, competition is moderate, working conditions are very good also. GO FOR IT!

You can go on cornerstone career center online to learn more on this profession. Look under Allied Health.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tina Markov in Camillus, New York

70 months ago

Biomedical technicians job can be physically demanding and pays very bad. It is usually first real job for bachelor graduates, but most move on, so job prospects are good from that perspective, because everybody wants reliable workers, especially on long range projects.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rob Williams in Rutland, Vermont

69 months ago

Dr.S.Rasuli in Kabul, Afghanistan said: Could you please help me in finding BMET retired from Army and are willing to work in Afghanistan,security ,medical service and accommodation will be provided.i need thier CV and expected salary ,
regard

Hello,
I spent 5 years in the US Army as a BMET and 4 in the Infantry. I am familiar with many security protocols and have 8 years total experience in the biomedical field. If you could send me an email address or a fax number, I can send you my CV.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Rob,

Send me your resume. If I get the contract I will add you to my team. They are not accepting anymore resumes at this time and the contract will be awarded in the next few weeks. I am working with the Afghani group SG technologies to get this contract. Mesogroup is also trying to get the contract. You can email me at creativeinvestmentco@yahoo.com

Stephen Ford

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

AJ in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

68 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing biomedical technician work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

You need a back ground in electronics. Also, there are many schools opening up that offer programs in Biomedical technology. To get your feet wet and become familiar with medical equipment descriptions I am currently looking to fill part time biomedical positions nationwide. It is a good way to earn some extra cash and eperience.
MEDmarketplace.com, the world’s largest online marketplace for buying and selling medical equipment and supplies, is searching for Bio-Med representatives in the Texas area to service our member hospitals. Representatives will be contracted to visit local facilities, inventory equipment, and take photos to be displayed on our website. If interested, please contact me at aj.fields@medmarketplace.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AJ in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

68 months ago

David in Vista, California said: I'm a biomed tech with a bachelor's but the pay isn't that great

David,
we are looking for Biomeds in the California area to make some extra $$
Contact me at your earliest convenience...
aj.fields@medmarketplace.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Potential leads in Brooklyn, New York

67 months ago

I am looking for retired Army BMET'S that are willing to work out of Africa. Any lead will be appreciated. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Stephen Ford in Manteno, Illinois

67 months ago

Potential leads in Brooklyn, New York said: I am looking for retired Army BMET'S that are willing to work out of Africa. Any lead will be appreciated. Thanks

Email me at sistaluva@hotmail.com

I can supply you with plenty of leads and guys who actually r ready to go now...

Stephen Ford

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

rdwilliams in South Royalton, Vermont

67 months ago

Potential leads in Brooklyn, New York said: I am looking for retired Army BMET'S that are willing to work out of Africa. Any lead will be appreciated. Thanks

I a an ex-military BMET and am currently available. I can be reached at RDWilliams80@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

michael r couch in Avon, Indiana

67 months ago

Stephen Ford in Manteno, Illinois said: Email me at sistaluva@hotmail.com

I can supply you with plenty of leads and guys who actually r ready to go now...

Stephen Ford[/QUOTE
Stepehen, Trained biomedical technican here with 9 years experience living in indianapolis..would be interested in temp or contract to hire positions ..any thoughts? contact at Michaelrcouch@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Morgan Hill, California

67 months ago

I have been working as an Electronics Technician for over 18 years in the California Bay Area. I would like to move to a job as a BioMed Tech. Any advice for where I could add training as a BioMed Tech to my electronics training/experience?
I would prefer a school here in the Bay Area.
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Dave,

I'm enrolled in a BMET program with DeVry University in Fremont. Before enrolling with DeVry I looked everywhere in the bay area for a BMET program at a public college, and found nothing! One college told me that they had started a Biomed program at one point, but dropped it because of lack of interest. DeVry is a private college, so it's not cheap, but they have good instructors and smaller class sizes than public schools.

DeVry offers a BS degree in Biomedical engineering, but they run three semesters each year, so you can complete the program in three years. They do give you credit for prior college courses, and you can "test out" of subjects that you're experienced in. For instance you may be able to get credit for some of the electronics courses by testing out.

My original plan for getting a job as a BMET was to get an A.S. degree in Electronics Technology supplemented by classes in Anatomy, Physiology and Medical Terminology. This may be a path you could pursue. (I decided the actual training on medical devices that the BMET program provides is more valuable.)

By the way, I'm starting a second career too (in fact I'm probably older than you are). I was a Software Engineer, but for various reasons decided that I wanted to go into a medical-related field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Miami, Florida

67 months ago

Brent in Redwood City, California said: Dave,

I'm enrolled in a BMET program with DeVry University in Fremont. Before enrolling with DeVry I looked everywhere in the bay area for a BMET program at a public college, and found nothing! One college told me that they had started a Biomed program at one point, but dropped it because of lack of interest. DeVry is a private college, so it's not cheap, but they have good instructors and smaller class sizes than public schools.

DeVry offers a BS degree in Biomedical engineering, but they run three semesters each year, so you can complete the program in three years. They do give you credit for prior college courses, and you can "test out" of subjects that you're experienced in. For instance you may be able to get credit for some of the electronics courses by testing out.

My original plan for getting a job as a BMET was to get an A.S. degree in Electronics Technology supplemented by classes in Anatomy, Physiology and Medical Terminology. This may be a path you could pursue. (I decided the actual training on medical devices that the BMET program provides is more valuable.)

By the way, I'm starting a second career too (in fact I'm probably older than you are). I was a Software Engineer, but for various reasons decided that I wanted to go into a medical-related field.

Does Devry has good job placement? I have a 2 year in Networking and I'm interested in Devry as well if I can find a job soon. Please update us on your experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Scott in Miami, Florida said: Does Devry has good job placement? I have a 2 year in Networking and I'm interested in Devry as well if I can find a job soon. Please update us on your experience.

I'm just in my second semester with DeVry, so I can't speak from personal experience, but their statistics look good. They have charts on the Devry.edu website showing the percentage of graduates employed after 3 months of graduation. www.devry.edu/career-services/employment-statistics.jsp.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

JB in Carson, Washington

66 months ago

Hello I just graduated with a 2 year degree in Biotechnology and completed a internship as a biomed technician with Southwest Washington Medical Center, but cant find a start for my career. Any leads would be appreciated Thank you :D

Email: bmet_jb@yahoo.com

Holden in Homer Glen, Illinois

66 months ago

Hello, I've been looking into the BioMed Tech field for a couple of months, and like many others, have decided that it could be a good career fit. I have a pretty broad technical background, with 23 years as a field technician and 8 years in computer networking (all with IBM). I also have an AAS in Electronics and a BS in Computer Science, plus a CCNA.

I'm not really all that concerned over salary at this point, since I have a pension. My main interest is getting into something fresh and interesting, and being able to work with my hands again. I recently visited with a BioMed department in a Chicago area hospital, and the guys were terrific. They took their time and showed me around and were very friendly. I left with a good overall feeling about the job.

That being said, I was wondering if there is any advice an established BioMed tech could provide on the best way to break into the field. Is a direct employ with a hospital my best shot? Would an ISO be willing to take on a newbie? Should I consider an equipment manufacturer, or would that leave me too specialized? Any ideas on how to beat the chicken-and-the-egg syndrome of job vs. experience? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Newyork16582@gmail.com in Anchorage, Alaska

65 months ago

I am currently looking for any kind of information on becoming a BMET. What the work is like, job security, and the pay. I was in the Air Force as an aircraft mechanic, I have my airframe and powerplant liscence, and im now working on passenger planes. I have some electronic experience and i want to learn more. If anybody has any useful information on the subject that would be cool if they let me know. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Prescott Valley, Arizona

65 months ago

I have an AAS degree and a 10 years experience in maintaining manufacturing equipment, but would love to break into the biomed arena. What is the best way to get my foot in the door?

original in Atlanta, Georgia

64 months ago

Hello, Gentlemen and women, I'm interested in traveling to
Africa for job opportunities in BMET. Please contact me
ASAP. Thank You

anthony bani in West Orange, New Jersey

63 months ago

Stephen Ford in Manteno, Illinois said: Email me at sistaluva@hotmail.com

Stephen Ford

stephen;i am an air force trained bmet with 15yrs exp.i can be contacted at anthonyarln@aol.com

ryanff in Austin, Texas

63 months ago

Hi, I am about to enroll for an AAS degree in BMET, this is a good choice? And I am considering going for the "double major" with Medical Imaging Systems. Any help is greatly appreciated

Ray in Richardson, Texas

61 months ago

I am interested in a entry level Biomedical tech position in the Dallas area. I have an AA in Electronics and 12 yrs Electronic/Mechanical experience. What are the minimal training or classes I could take just to get started or get my foot in the door.

rlsowels@gmail.com

kismat in Dallas, Texas

59 months ago

I am willing to work in Africa.Check my resume. I do speed 6 language.

brenda in Albertville, Alabama

57 months ago

yes you need a biomedical technology 2 year degree or a biomedical engineering 4 year degree. the best way to get a job is during your clinicals, these jobs are "you gotta know somebody"

Zero in Cincinnati, Ohio

57 months ago

Is there age discrimination in this field, as there is in IT and some other fields? Is this a reasonable second or third career for someone near age 40 to start?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

brenda in Birmingham, Alabama

56 months ago

No I was 43 when I got a good job in biomed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.