The best part is...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Host

What do you enjoy most about buyer work? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

wrknfrlvn75@wowway.com in Warren, Michigan

16 months ago

The Best Part about being a Buyer is that I enjoy working with all the different people working at all the different types of jobs: from the shop, to purchasing, to sales, to accounting, to engineering, to management, to suppliers, etc., everyone has their own unique personality that no one else in this world has & I find that interesting & love that part of the job. There are some that have been there a very long time & know their job like the back of their hand & do it well & there are some that are just starting out & are learning the job from those whom are the best at what they do. I think that is pretty cool. I also enjoy the go, go, go from the time you get there until the time you leave. I like to stay busy the entire day and don't like to be bored on a job. What I dislike the most about being a buyer is that it is your job to tell an excellent supplier you are letting them go because the company has decided to do the job in-house. It is especially hard when the economy is bad & you know that their working there was a big account for them & it will be a great loss to their company. It is part of the job but it doesn't mean you have to like it. Is being a Buyer challenging, absolutely, everyday is a new challenge. You are constantly switching back & forth from this to that to something else, everything is fast moving & hot most of the time. You have to set your priorities, what is the hottest item on your desk, handle it & move on. If you are unable to do all that has been forth due to time constraints, you must be able to delegate in order to get the job done in the time given. Are there many opportunities to advance in purchasing? Yes, you could work your way up from purchasing clerk, to buyer, to intermediate buyer, to purchasing manager, etc. What keeps you at your job is that your well liked by everyone, your good at what you do & are capable of, and your saving the company money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.