Owner operators recommendations when starting out in car hauling.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 142)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

badharley407 in Chicago, Illinois

49 months ago

So you really think you are going to make all this money haul cars. I hope you have a lot of money save up. Over the past few years companies like have cut the rate for hauling car down to almost nothing. 4 years ago a company driver could easy make over 80,000 a year driveing a compnay car hauler. Now you will be in luck to make 50,000. Everyone come running to the car hauling world with dollar sign in the eyes. I have been haul cars for over 15 years. The big outfits have cut the rates to much. Do not belive me go to your nearest truckstop find a car hauler and just ask him what a full load pay from boston to Los Angeles 4 years ago. What do it pay now. About half the price. Sorry to let you down. Ask your self what did Fedex charge you to send overnight letter about 4 years ago. 15.00 what do they charge now. 30.00 plus. But car hauling rate keep going down. You want to buy a truck go head. Get your head out of the clouds and go talk to someone that have been in the business for a while. Most of them are getting out. But I am sure the local saleman that wanting to sale you a truck and trailer will not tell you that.
Have fun going broke

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (89) / No (170) Reply - Report abuse

mymqs3@aol.com in Oberlin, Ohio

49 months ago

Many of you self proclaim prophecy's need to be more encouraging when new Hot shot drivers are asking questions, nothing in this world is easy. however, If we all can act like adults and answer a person question from the heart. Then we can oust those brokers, and dealers that are allowing frieght to be loaded and delivered for a cheap cost.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (120) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

abel in Lansing, Michigan

49 months ago

Kevin in Fort Myers, Florida said: Your better off getting experience with one of the non union haulers learn how to do it screwup their freight then go on your own[/QUOTE What companys are non-union out their iam looking to drive a car hauler but i dont have any experience? where can i get my experience from

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

maros in Staten Island, New York

48 months ago

what do they check at the safety audit inspections?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

CLay in Littleton, Colorado

48 months ago

dj battle in Ruther Glen, Virginia said: To any body thinking of hauling cars.I have the answer to most of the questions asked. Fuel milage in a dually with 3 -4 car hauler is 100 dollars to go 200 miles. $60. per night for hotel.You cannot sleep in your truck.not to mention you have to be registered exactly like a semi.except weight .Any one who tells you different will have fun at the scales.Which you have a red target on your back and will get pulled 50% of the time.A cheap fine at the scales is 500.00 .1500 down 650.00 per month insurance.Dont forget your $1000.00 mc,irp,ifta registration.Quartelry fuel taxes,Drug testing program.mobile office fax capable .Your truck and trailer will eat brakes & tires like candy,I by 10 gallons of oil a month .4- 50 dollar a piece fuel filters .4-15 dollar oil filters. 2- 15 dollar transmission filters. 3-50 dollar Trailer brakes.3- hundred dollar trailer tires.2 truck tires.Thats just your monthly maintnence.Dont forget 3 batterys, lights bulbs, wiring.thats just if nothing breaks.Food and drinks are 30-40 dollars per day.if you have a family tell them goodbye .They dont exist in your life anymore.When you are home you better be working on your equipment or doing paper work for your fmcsa 6 month audit.You literaly will eat breathe and shiet in your truck .You pretty much work 24 hours a day.dont forget the countless hours spent scheduling work and waiting to pick it up.2008 chevy dually 3500.3-4 car 2009 kaufman wedge.This is my nightmare,come get some. stay out of trucking period .The guys with semis are f-d worse.Just to make a little money your truck needs to average 2 dollars per mile

I can teLL that you know nothing about trucking. You're a renegade. 40 doLLars a day for drinks and food? You're on crack or you're working for a company and don't want competition in the car market. Get off the forum!! I'm reaLLy tired of guys Like you trying to discourage weLL meaning peopLe that want to make a Living.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (142) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

jojo in Winfield, Alabama

48 months ago

to the guy in deleware I got a 1 ton dually that needs to be put to work. If you are interested shoot me an e mail. starsandjojo@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

jojo in Winfield, Alabama

48 months ago

heff in Hockessin, Delaware said: I am new in the hauling business. I need good independent driver for one trailer on east coast, and a driver for a truck and trailer in philly/nj/baltimore area regional auto hauls. What is best way to find good drivers for long term work. I've got the work, and don't want to have to keep finding new drivers. Any advise?

to the guy in deleware I got a 1 ton dually that needs to be put to work. If you are interested shoot me an e mail. starsandjojo@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Alex in North Fort Myers, Florida

45 months ago

Hernandez Transport Services said: I'm in the same situation. I'm seeing the comparisons and it still doesn't add up. All the cost from a dually to a semi double. Everything from mpg to insurance. U can run 4 cars on a dually easy. And if u r getting a semi to be able to use to haul regular freight as a back up the biggest trailer u can find is about a 7 car hauler. So u r doubling the expenses and not doubling the load. Another big concern is maintanence. A dually tire comes no where close to a semi tire. A blown dually engine comes no where close to a semi engine, etc. I'm anxious to start but this decision is holding me back. I have the funds and ready togo. I just need help with this.

Hey,

Did you ever get the business started ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

kixs941 in Los Angeles, California

45 months ago

Hello evryone im a college student and im really looking forward to starting a dually transport buisness. Im currently doing car sales sometimes across the united states and always pay ship from coast to coast. Any advice from experienced people out there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

danieljam in Hazlehurst, Georgia

44 months ago

dj battle in Ruther Glen, Virginia said: To any body thinking of hauling cars.I have the answer to most of the questions asked. Fuel milage in a dually with 3 -4 car hauler is 100 dollars to go 200 miles. $60. per night for hotel.You cannot sleep in your truck.not to mention you have to be registered exactly like a semi.except weight .Any one who tells you different will have fun at the scales.Which you have a red target on your back and will get pulled 50% of the time.A cheap fine at the scales is 500.00 .1500 down 650.00 per month insurance.Dont forget your $1000.00 mc,irp,ifta registration.Quartelry fuel taxes,Drug testing program.mobile office fax capable .Your truck and trailer will eat brakes & tires like candy,I by 10 gallons of oil a month .4- 50 dollar a piece fuel filters .4-15 dollar oil filters. 2- 15 dollar transmission filters. 3-50 dollar Trailer brakes.3- hundred dollar trailer tires.2 truck tires.Thats just your monthly maintnence.Dont forget 3 batterys, lights bulbs, wiring.thats just if nothing breaks.Food and drinks are 30-40 dollars per day.if you have a family tell them goodbye .They dont exist in your life anymore.When you are home you better be working on your equipment or doing paper work for your fmcsa 6 month audit.You literaly will eat breathe and shiet in your truck .You pretty much work 24 hours a day.dont forget the countless hours spent scheduling work and waiting to pick it up.2008 chevy dually 3500.3-4 car 2009 kaufman wedge.This is my nightmare,come get some. stay out of trucking period .The guys with semis are f-d worse.Just to make a little money your truck needs to average 2 dollars per mile

Your full of crap!! You can make an ok living if you watch your expenses and run decent equipment. 1.50 per mile pays the bills and then some. It's your choice to leave your family and life behind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

badharley in Deerfield Beach FL, Florida

43 months ago

Welcome to the world of Trucking. Most driver are not going to stay any where that long. Long hours poor pay never home. But you want someone else to do all of this so you can stuff your pockets full of money. You will find out the hard way. I think you already is seeing the light because you are haveing a hard time finding drivers. A car hauler just 4 years ago could make 2200.00 for a run from the east coast to Los Angeles working for a company. Now a company driver will be luckie to make 1100.00 on the same run. Ask anyone the was around back in the day. Good luck finding someone that do not want a life and will driver you truck weekend holidays during children bithdays all so you can be with you family. Go drive the truck yourself. No you will not do that because you want to be with your family. You will find a driver but he will not stick around that long. Call any major company and ask them them what is the turnover rate at they company. FACT around 90%. A little advise GO DRIVE THE TRUCK YOURSELF AND TELL YOUR WIFE I WILL SEE YOU IN 2 WEEKS AND I WILL GET 2 DAYS OFF WHEN I GET YOU. HAVE A COKE AND A SMILE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

TURK in Salt Lake City, Utah

43 months ago

Tyler McCormick in Chesterfield, Virginia said: all you assh*les out there talking bad about car hauling hey got a question why the he
he** are you doing it for a living if you cant make money and hate it hm?????

I LOVE IT.THEY CAN GET A JOB AT THE FAST FOOD IF THEY ARE NOT MAKING MONEY IN TRUCKING ...LOL ...I OWN 2 TRUCKS AND MAKING MONEY BY PULLING DRY VANS.NOW I AM READY TO GO IN TO CAR HAULING.MY ADVISE TO THE NEW COMMERS IS JUST CALL THE TRUKING COMPANIES AND GET ANSWERS FROM THEM.BUT IF THEY TELL YOU U WILL BE AVAREGING $2000 A WEEK TAKE THAT AS $1100 A WEEK FOR EXAMPLE.DONT LISTEN SOME OF SO CALLED VETERAN TRUCKERS.SOME OF THEM JUST DONT WANT YOU TO GET IN TO THE BUSSINESS SO THEY DONT HAVE TO SHARE .EVERYONE NEEDS MORE INCOME.IF YOU DO YOUR JOB RIGHT AND RESPECT WHAT YOU ARE DOING YOU WILL GET WHAT YOU DESERVE IN THIS ECONOMY AND COMPATITION.BUT LETS BE REALISTIC AND DONT KEEP OUR EXPECTATIONS TOO HIGH.TRUCKING IS SAME LIKE ANY OTHER BUSSINEES,SOMETIMES YOU MAKE GOOD MONEY SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO COME UP OUT OF POCKET.GOOD LUCK TO EVERYBODY WHO WANTS TO GET IN TO THE CAR HAULING LIKE ME.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (72) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

slabbridda in Ridgeland, South Carolina

43 months ago

i was a car hauler for 3 years they are right you have to be out there 300 days out of a year to see 30k a year profit and local run you can forget unless you live where there is at least two cities very close to eachother

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

slabbridda in Ridgeland, South Carolina

43 months ago

you could work at mcdonalds 14 hrs a day for six days and make the same money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

hark7rider in Austin, Texas

42 months ago

Sifford Trucking in Linden, California said: Sounds to me like youre just money hungry and jealous that new people are "taking food off your plate" As all you jealous semi car haulers like to call it. Better to be making $40,000 a year instead of NOTHING AT ALL! You dont have to be so mean to people asking questions, everyone has their own opinion, and by the way, learn how to spell and type. I have a 2001 ford f-350 dually and a 1997 take 3 3/4 car wedge trailer and make PLENTY OF MONEY doing it. So thats all that matters! ANYONE can be a auto transporter, find your own loads and make your own money, stop worrying about other people.

Am wondering if you would be willing to give some advice to someone seriously contemplating getting into this business. If so, please contact Chris @ hark7rider@gmail.com. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

amyamster in houston, Texas

41 months ago

Anybody who works in this business has to WORK @ it...As an owner operator, it doesn't come easy...you do all of the legwork yourself. Kudos to all of you that do.
truckingpartners.com/driver_solutions/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Guy S in Fredericton, New Brunswick

41 months ago

Rolling Time Dispatch in Union, South Carolina said: We need 10 semi tractors for take away service hauling trailers. 1687 miles loads paying $4000 per trailer delivered. Serious inquiries only. Rollingtimesdispatch@live.com

I have a dually with 53 foot wedge trailer. Looking for work. Will go anywhere and haul anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

scott@barretttransports.com in Cordova, Tennessee

40 months ago

Guy S in Fredericton, New Brunswick said: I have a dually with 53 foot wedge trailer. Looking for work. Will go anywhere and haul anything.

If you are looking to lease on to a company that hauls Autos only Contact me a scott@barretttransports.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

scott.donner

40 months ago

scott@barretttransports.com in Cordova, Tennessee said: If you are looking to lease on to a company that hauls Autos only Contact me a scott@barretttransports.com

Hello Scott, I am looking getting into the car hauling business, I have driven semi for well over 20 years. Please respond with your information. ie, where are you located? price per mile paid to truck? ext.
Thank you for your time.

Scott Donner
Afton, IA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Demon Chaser in Parsons, Kansas

37 months ago

Sifford Trucking in Linden, California said: Sounds to me like youre just money hungry and jealous that new people are "taking food off your plate" As all you jealous semi car haulers like to call it. Better to be making $40,000 a year instead of NOTHING AT ALL! You dont have to be so mean to people asking questions, everyone has their own opinion, and by the way, learn how to spell and type. I have a 2001 ford f-350 dually and a 1997 take 3 3/4 car wedge trailer and make PLENTY OF MONEY doing it. So thats all that matters! ANYONE can be a auto transporter, find your own loads and make your own money, stop worrying about other people.

I just wanted to say thank you for your comment. I've been in the trucking business since 1984. I've never hauled cars but I am planning on it. I broke my back in AZ back in 2007 and have one more surgery before I can get my Med-cert back (I hope)!!! Is it safe to assume I should go ahead and get my own authority and take a seminar on brokerage so I can (as they say) "cut out the middle man" and earn what I can on my own accord? I am thinking of getting a duelly like you and a 3-4 car trailer. I have a lot of studying to do, but I was wondering if I have any questions could I ask you for some advice, you seem to have a level head which leads me to believe you've been doing your business right;c) I appreciate you taking the time to consider my request sir. Ma Halo, Alan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Sifford Trucking in Linden, California

37 months ago

Demon Chaser in Parsons, Kansas said: I just wanted to say thank you for your comment. I've been in the trucking business since 1984. I've never hauled cars but I am planning on it. I broke my back in AZ back in 2007 and have one more surgery before I can get my Med-cert back (I hope)!!! Is it safe to assume I should go ahead and get my own authority and take a seminar on brokerage so I can (as they say) "cut out the middle man" and earn what I can on my own accord? I am thinking of getting a duelly like you and a 3-4 car trailer. I have a lot of studying to do, but I was wondering if I have any questions could I ask you for some advice, you seem to have a level head which leads me to believe you've been doing your business right;c) I appreciate you taking the time to consider my request sir. Ma Halo, Alan

Hey man! No problem... you can e-mail me at SiffordTrucking@aol.com or call me anytime at two zero nine nine eight one eight one one seven. My name is Brett. Take care!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kamareye32 in Rialto, California

36 months ago

Tranport llc. in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Exactly thank for your input may god reward you for your words of wisdom

Excellent Advice, I needed that myself!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Hialeah, Florida

36 months ago

This guy is just trying to keep everyone out of the car hauling business !!! We run two stingers Kenworth W 900s (10 car carriers) and two dually four car wedge trailers.
LET ME BE HONEST WITH EVERYBODY !!!The 10 car carriers are CLEARING a trip (NET) $4000-$6000 a trip (7-8 days) the wedges are clearing $2500 a week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

andrei in Vernon Hills, Illinois

36 months ago

no matter how others running their business , if you want to work and make money - can go in any business and success , i started in august 2011 with 2010 ford and ez4 kaufman , if you work hard you can make $2000 weekly (clear) , cummins will get you extra $200-300 , now i am moving into 7 car semi day cab and dont care how other businesses are doing in carhauling . i do 2300 miles in less that 72 hours (sleep only 15 hours total) , make $2000 clean money and have life and rest other 3-4 days a week.it is hard work but woth trying. anyone need advice shoot me email at mmaslov2010@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

You sleep 15 hours in a 72 hour period? Wheres your LOGS? You sound like you are running illegally.. you'll get your day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

fire_lane_11 in Asheboro, North Carolina

36 months ago

scott.donner said: Hello Scott, I am looking getting into the car hauling business, I have driven semi for well over 20 years. Please respond with your information. ie, where are you located? price per mile paid to truck? ext.
Thank you for your time.

Scott Donner
Afton, IA

were you ever able to get in touch with scott @ barrett transports? I have e-mailed several times and no reply. Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

2012 f550 in Titusville, Florida

36 months ago

wow some of u guys need to stop blaming ur lack of communication and/or relationship skills on the car hauling industry. then realize that some folks r fortunate and humble enuff to command respect of the industry and the industry bows to us. if u r a believer call thing that be as tho they were, if not do right then get right back. (karma?) in everything there r principles and truths sounds to me the work the negative guys need is to find out where r theirs... enuff said remember this tho u speak what u have in to existence! success to u

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Aww maain! We gotta preecha up in dis HOOUSE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

bpro in Calgary, Alberta

35 months ago

does anyone know what the better trailer to buy out of the kaufman trailers or the take 3 trailers? Which company is more reputable for producing quality trailers? I will be purchasing a 3-4 car trailer. Either pulling it with a 1 ton dually or a small day cab semi.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

bpro in Calgary, Alberta

35 months ago

does anyone know what the better trailer to buy out of the kaufman trailers or the take 3 trailers? Which company is more reputable for producing quality trailers? I will be purchasing a 3-4 car trailer. Either pulling it with a 1 ton dually or a small day cab semi.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

David in Morrow, Ohio

35 months ago

Kamareye32 in Rialto, California said: This is true....I worked at a Auction before years ago and spoke with plenty of owner operators in the car hauling business that uses there pickups with a 4 car hauler and made good money and as for myself I would love to either partner up with somebody and start working or I would like to lease a trailer and truck hire a driver and go from there. i never did car hauling before but I dispatched for 5 years and I have Shipper connections everywhere. If anybody can help me on finding equipment or maybe hiring me to be your dispatcher I would totally be interested. I'm a hard worker and I am dedicated in keeping your trucks moving with loads.

Thank You,
Davon

email me at cincimotors@gmail.com. I have a little dealership and now i am trying to buy a 3 car hauler.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

David in Morrow, Ohio

35 months ago

Kamareye32 in Rialto, California said: This is true....I worked at a Auction before years ago and spoke with plenty of owner operators in the car hauling business that uses there pickups with a 4 car hauler and made good money and as for myself I would love to either partner up with somebody and start working or I would like to lease a trailer and truck hire a driver and go from there. i never did car hauling before but I dispatched for 5 years and I have Shipper connections everywhere. If anybody can help me on finding equipment or maybe hiring me to be your dispatcher I would totally be interested. I'm a hard worker and I am dedicated in keeping your trucks moving with loads.

Thank You,
Davon

email me at cincimotors@gmail.com. I have a little dealership and now i am trying to buy a 3 car hauler.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rick in Texarkana, Arkansas

34 months ago

I make good Money Hauling cars I run out L.A California to Dallas Tx I haul 7 cars at a time I get 4500 a pay load to Dallas . Dallas to L A pays 3000 Been doing this for the last 4 Years .I run a 2001 Pete.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

NEW ENGLANDER in Plymouth, New Hampshire

34 months ago

all you dummies who think $30,000 a year is better than nothing, and that $40 a day for food is a lot are the reason why we can't make any money. If your willing to drink out of puddles in the truck stop, and eat grubs, and think $30,000 a year after fuel and insurance is profitable.. Just wait until you have a major repair or realize that your truck is probably depreciating more than $10,000 a year. If you think sleeping in the back of a pick up truck is a long term business plan, well, you'll see. If you can't afford to sleep in a motel and eat properly, your just going to be another schmuck hauling cheap freight, and convincing brokers that $.30 a mile for individual vehicles is an adequate rate. $1.50 a mile is profitable? what does that equate to when you factor in your unloaded miles. Better figure it out before you go broke. A good rule of thumb is take no more than 1/3 for fuel, 1/3 for driver's pay ( whether it's you or not), and 1/3 to the truck maintenance/ replacement/ profit. If this is attainable you may be looking at a long term sustainable business plan. This being said, I am an owner operator running a 3 car wedge with a 450 class truck, I do my own maintenance and repairs, drive 3-4 days a week, spend 1-2 on dispatching myself and accounting (ifta, etc.) 1 day working on/ washing truck, and run regional northeast so I'm rarely gone overnight. And I have not paid myself less than $60,000 a year yet. I don't rob my maintenance fund, and It takes me 3 job descriptions to earn one good salary. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
JUST SAY NO TO CHEAP FREIGHT!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (67) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

NEW ENGLANDER in Plymouth, New Hampshire said: all you dummies who think $30,000 a year is better than nothing, and that $40 a day for food is a lot are the reason why we can't make any money. If your willing to drink out of puddles in the truck stop, and eat grubs, and think $30,000 a year after fuel and insurance is profitable.. Just wait until you have a major repair or realize that your truck is probably depreciating more than $10,000 a year. If you think sleeping in the back of a pick up truck is a long term business plan, well, you'll see. If you can't afford to sleep in a motel and eat properly, your just going to be another schmuck hauling cheap freight, and convincing brokers that $.30 a mile for individual vehicles is an adequate rate. $1.50 a mile is profitable? what does that equate to when you factor in your unloaded miles. Better figure it out before you go broke. A good rule of thumb is take no more than 1/3 for fuel, 1/3 for driver's pay ( whether it's you or not), and 1/3 to the truck maintenance/ replacement/ profit. If this is attainable you may be looking at a long term sustainable business plan. This being said, I am an owner operator running a 3 car wedge with a 450 class truck, I do my own maintenance and repairs, drive 3-4 days a week, spend 1-2 on dispatching myself and accounting (ifta, etc.) 1 day working on/ washing truck, and run regional northeast so I'm rarely gone overnight. And I have not paid myself less than $60,000 a year yet. I don't rob my maintenance fund, and It takes me 3 job descriptions to earn one good salary. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
JUST SAY NO TO CHEAP FREIGHT

Well.. pretty soon all the small brokers and small haulers will be going out of business. All brokers bonds are going up to 100,000$ so the only ones that will be around anymore are going to be the BIG brokers and BIG car haulers. All these small brokers are doing things illegally and DOT is cracking down hard on all the small haulers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

How would a higher broker bond jeoperdize small truckers in any way? I only see it as a benefit, have you ever made claim on a broker's bond only to find out the $10,000 was already used up? It sucks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

that is circular logic. wedges are a target coast to coast when pulled by pick ups not tractors. the reasons are obvious, it is rare (not impossible) that you can haul 3 cars and pay for fuel, insurance and a motel room, also rare not to overload your rear truck axle (if using a one ton), and many wedges try to operate under cdl (with no cdl license, irp, ifta, etc), tough to keep 3 high paying vehicles under 26,000 lbs. if i were a dot leo, i'd stop them too, all you need to see is one thing missing, dot#'s, a sleeper, apportioned tag, ifta sticker, or any combo of 3 vehicles that are obviously over 26,000 (usually takes only one truck) and you know you've got a lucrative stop. this isn't "new for '12", it's pretty old news. they usually know you're in violation BEFORE they decide to stop you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Sifford Trucking

34 months ago

NEW ENGLANDER in Plymouth, New Hampshire said: that is circular logic. wedges are a target coast to coast when pulled by pick ups not tractors. the reasons are obvious, it is rare (not impossible) that you can haul 3 cars and pay for fuel, insurance and a motel room, also rare not to overload your rear truck axle (if using a one ton), and many wedges try to operate under cdl (with no cdl license, irp, ifta, etc), tough to keep 3 high paying vehicles under 26,000 lbs. if i were a dot leo, i'd stop them too, all you need to see is one thing missing, dot#'s, a sleeper, apportioned tag, ifta sticker, or any combo of 3 vehicles that are obviously over 26,000 (usually takes only one truck) and you know you've got a lucrative stop. this isn't "new for '12", it's pretty old news. they usually know you're in violation BEFORE they decide to stop you.

Ok well youre just stating the obvious but im telling you facts and i know all the inside to whats going on in the DOT and car hauling industry. All of you who are into car hauling can have your own opinion but unless you know whats going on soon, youre in for a surprise. Good luck out there, you'll need it. Car hauling is taking a crap faster then a chevy motor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Sifford Trucking

34 months ago

I DONT HAVE ONE in Bakersfield, California said: Hello any one as you can tell i am not very good on the computer
i am thinking about doing car hauling in California only.
I LIVE IN BAKERSFIELD CA.110 MILES NORTH OF LA AND ABOUT 3 HOURS SOUTH OF SAN.FRAN.IF I DO START TO HAUL I WILL TRY GET IN TOUCH
WITH the man in Lindon ca. i liked his reply.I will keep his email
address. I have 2500 dodge diesel i am looking for a 2 car Gooseneck.

Did you ever get into car hauling? I'm the one from Linden.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SIDEWAZE in Palm Bay, Florida

34 months ago

THE ONE FROM LINDEN~~~~IF YOU THINK YOU KNOW SO MUCH~~WHY NOT TURN US ON TO IT ?~~~~~I THINK YOU DONT KNOW SQUAT~~~~J M O ~~~~~

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Kevin in Fort Myers, Florida said: Your better off getting experience with one of the non union haulers learn how to do it screwup their freight then go on your own

Why screw up anyone's freight...just get it done learn as much as you can and move forward my friend;c)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

bpro in Calgary, Alberta said: does anyone know what the better trailer to buy out of the kaufman trailers or the take 3 trailers? Which company is more reputable for producing quality trailers? I will be purchasing a 3-4 car trailer. Either pulling it with a 1 ton dually or a small day cab semi.

I'm a retired O.T.R. Driver with about2.85 million in w/out accidents. I've hauled pretty much everything from 14 wide mobile home half's, too steel coils, lumber products, glass for construction sites local and otr wedge trailers for large loads of glass packs.

To answer one of your questions, when I ran flatbed I would swear by Kaufman check out this site (Please note I am NOT a sales man OK, just an old trucker trying to help you;c)

www.commercialtrucktrader.com search for kaufman trl's 3 to 4 car haulers, it should take you to the trl I was trying to show you, but this website won't allow me to use any numbers, sorry.

I have friends around the nation that work in the scale houses, they all tell me, the drivers who get into trouble are the ones who do NOT check there weight on each load, this includes your truck rear axle. Nor do a lot of them do simple basic inspections on their equipment, (i.e.-truck and trailer)

Personally I'd go with a day cab, with three axles, this will allow you to haul 12,000 on your steers, then 34,000 on your rear axle. The trailer depends on the number of axles and type of equipment you get. I noticed at the Kaufman site each trailer listed showed it's weight limitations, that should be helpful. I hope this answer one or two of your questions. Good luck to you, and do NOT let the nay sayers get you down, you can still make a living hauling. Besides if you buy one trailer for cars and another small flatbed, you could haul about anything you can legally get on-board right;c) Stay positive with your dream my friend!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Demon Chaser in Parsons, Kansas said: I'm a retired O.T.R. Driver with about2.85 million in w/out accidents. I've hauled pretty much everything from 14 wide mobile home half's, too steel coils, lumber products, glass for construction sites local and otr wedge trailers for large loads of glass packs.

To answer one of your questions, when I ran flatbed I would swear by Kaufman check out this site (Please note I am NOT a sales man OK, just an old trucker trying to help you;c)

www.commercialtrucktrader.com search for kaufman trl's 3 to 4 car haulers, it should take you to the trl I was trying to show you, but this website won't allow me to use any numbers, sorry.

I have friends around the nation that work in the scale houses, they all tell me, the drivers who get into trouble are the ones who do NOT check there weight on each load, this includes your truck rear axle. Nor do a lot of them do simple basic inspections on their equipment, (i.e.-truck and trailer)

Personally I'd go with a day cab, with three axles, this will allow you to haul 12,000 on your steers, then 34,000 on your rear axle. The trailer depends on the number of axles and type of equipment you get. I noticed at the Kaufman site each trailer listed showed it's weight limitations, that should be helpful. I hope this answer one or two of your questions. Good luck to you, and do NOT let the nay sayers get you down, you can still make a living hauling. Besides if you buy one trailer for cars and another small flatbed, you could haul about anything you can legally get on-board right;c) Stay positive with your dream my friend!

I need to point out, the "Wedge trailers hauling glass was a mistake in my lack of typing skill and hyper focusing on the word "We4dge trailers" sorry ;c)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sonny in Louisville, Kentucky

33 months ago

I have a 01 GMC 3500 set up for 5th wheel I am thinking about getting a 3/4 car trailer and I am located in Kentucky

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sonny Moorehouse in Louisville, Kentucky

33 months ago

I have an 01 GMC 3500 dully crue I am thinking about purchasing a 3/4 car trailer I am located In Louisville Kentucky. I want to know how to fill my trailer and keep it full on runs? Do I sign up to work for a carrier or is their a place to bid on jobs? you can email me directly smoorehouse@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SemperFiServices in Rancho Santa Margarita, California

33 months ago

Don't know why the DOT is after wedges, I see them all the time here in SoCal. And yeah it can be hard to make a wedge pay if you are (a) illegal, (b) don't wanna get your CDL so you can go over 26k, (c) and you are taking chit loads i.e. 40 cent a mile cars. I don't start my truck unless my 48' wedge is making me $2 a mile. I may go less on the way home if it means I won't be dead-heading, but I won't ever support some skeazy broker by accepting a car that's less than .50 a mile unless he's got 3 of them. Make the brokers pay- because they make the customers pay! And I'm all for raising the bond- it will force out the crappy brokers, and the good ones will keep thier drivers. How much will a 100k bond cost a month, maybe $500? My insurance is more than that! And a broker sits on his duff all day eating cheetos and playing phone tag while the drivers do all the manual labor. Yeah, I'd love to see those losers that rebook cars- i.e. buy a car on Central Dispatch and then post it on uship for half the price hoping some illegal driver with a 1985 Chevy dually with a beat up 454 with a 2 car wedge will take it- lose thier backside and find some other line of work, maybe McDonalds....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Demon Chaser in Independence, Kansas

32 months ago

Dear Trucker,
I was wondering. Once I am done with one more lower back surgery. I'd like to volunteer to help run a load in a wedge trailer to see how your operation works. I need something to do after all my situation is over. Would this be possible. I have over 2.5 million miles O.T.R. coast to coast in all weather. I am most interested in the four car wedge trailers. Can you help me with this? Please contact me at the E-mail address below. Thank you for your time and consideration of my request.
Ma Halo, Alan "Demon Chaser" Hirschenhofer II

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Guardian Towing

31 months ago

Alright guys!
I have been keeping up with this blog for a while now. Now I need help.
I own Guardian Towing LLC. I have one truck, a 2001, 4700, Standard shift, International with a 21ft rollback and rear wheel lift. I have been in business 17 months. I have my all my permits, DOT, MC and fully insured. Unfortunately last year I had a bad car wreck that left me with a left leg full of metal and unable to drive the standard shift in my own rollback. Since that time I have had a couple different drivers, but we just cannot seem to make it work.
So here are my thoughts that I am seeking advice on……..
I own an F350, CC, LWB, 4wd, 1 ton (Non-Dually) that I can drive. I am thinking about throwing a flat bed on my F350 and trading my rollback in on a 4 car hauler wedge.
If I get out there and hustle / stay on the road as much as possible. Note i am fully aware of cost, Tires, oil, repairs....Hotels

Can I make a living?
Any ideas how much?
Any advice on what type wedge or a flat bed?
Any advice period?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

big jack in Buffalo, New York

31 months ago

Skip Fryer in Columbus, Georgia said: I need a car hauler for the east coast, preferably 3-5 cars. You can gross 3k+ every week.I've been a process agent as well as dispatching car hauler for five years. I know the business .
Please contact me asap.

skip.fryer@yahoo.com

skip im in Buffalo, n.y give me a call shout out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pilgrim in Tucson, Arizona

31 months ago

I am really amazed at the attitude and lack of brotherhood amongst a profession that keeps America running and is needed so badley everyday by nearly every household and business. I remember years ago the saying 98% of everything the home owner buyers is delievered by truck and I suspect that is still very true to day.

But before I add my 1 1/2 pennies let me just briefly give my back ground in trucking.

Having served in the British Army for 12 1/2 years I fell back on my license because work was hard to come by in the late 70's. The average first response on an Interview was sorry we don't need anyone to driver a tank. I was discouraged and set out to get as much experiane as possible, by signing up with an Agency (Overdrive a branch of Man Power in England). I accomplished my aim and thinking back there is very little I have not transported. I was also introduced to international trucking, driving a crosss Europe to distant locations people normally only visit on vaccation. After a couple of years I was asked by a company if I would be interested in running under their permits and licenses as a owner operator. I did the home work and had a very fruitful time with them, Eventually buying my own Volvo F12 Globtrotter. I ran all over Europe and as far as Rhyad in Saudia Arabia. Each country requiring customs paper work to be filled out in the language of the Country. The Germans were the worst any spelling mistakes and they threw the papers back without an explination, so a using a Frieght forwading agent became a nessecity and worth its wieght in time and costs.

Then one day I met my wife of @$ years and although often and still do look at a truck and wonder wehere they're going and what the cargo is. My keys were retired and I sold my LAdy Jane. Arriving in the US at JFK.

To continue, posting restrictions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.