Owner operators recommendations when starting out in car hauling.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 397)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

badharley407 in Chicago, Illinois

69 months ago

So you really think you are going to make all this money haul cars. I hope you have a lot of money save up. Over the past few years companies like have cut the rate for hauling car down to almost nothing. 4 years ago a company driver could easy make over 80,000 a year driveing a compnay car hauler. Now you will be in luck to make 50,000. Everyone come running to the car hauling world with dollar sign in the eyes. I have been haul cars for over 15 years. The big outfits have cut the rates to much. Do not belive me go to your nearest truckstop find a car hauler and just ask him what a full load pay from boston to Los Angeles 4 years ago. What do it pay now. About half the price. Sorry to let you down. Ask your self what did Fedex charge you to send overnight letter about 4 years ago. 15.00 what do they charge now. 30.00 plus. But car hauling rate keep going down. You want to buy a truck go head. Get your head out of the clouds and go talk to someone that have been in the business for a while. Most of them are getting out. But I am sure the local saleman that wanting to sale you a truck and trailer will not tell you that.
Have fun going broke

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (244) / No (414) Reply - Report abuse

mymqs3@*****.*** in Oberlin, Ohio

69 months ago

Many of you self proclaim prophecy's need to be more encouraging when new Hot shot drivers are asking questions, nothing in this world is easy. however, If we all can act like adults and answer a person question from the heart. Then we can oust those brokers, and dealers that are allowing frieght to be loaded and delivered for a cheap cost.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (299) / No (38) Reply - Report abuse

maros in Staten Island, New York

68 months ago

what do they check at the safety audit inspections?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (33) Reply - Report abuse

CLay in Littleton, Colorado

67 months ago

dj battle in Ruther Glen, Virginia said: To any body thinking of hauling cars.I have the answer to most of the questions asked. Fuel milage in a dually with 3 -4 car hauler is 100 dollars to go 200 miles. $60. per night for hotel.You cannot sleep in your truck.not to mention you have to be registered exactly like a semi.except weight .Any one who tells you different will have fun at the scales.Which you have a red target on your back and will get pulled 50% of the time.A cheap fine at the scales is 500.00 .1500 down 650.00 per month insurance.Dont forget your $1000.00 mc,irp,ifta registration.Quartelry fuel taxes,Drug testing program.mobile office fax capable .Your truck and trailer will eat brakes & tires like candy,I by 10 gallons of oil a month .4- 50 dollar a piece fuel filters .4-15 dollar oil filters. 2- 15 dollar transmission filters. 3-50 dollar Trailer brakes.3- hundred dollar trailer tires.2 truck tires.Thats just your monthly maintnence.Dont forget 3 batterys, lights bulbs, wiring.thats just if nothing breaks.Food and drinks are 30-40 dollars per day.if you have a family tell them goodbye .They dont exist in your life anymore.When you are home you better be working on your equipment or doing paper work for your fmcsa 6 month audit.You literaly will eat breathe and shiet in your truck .You pretty much work 24 hours a day.dont forget the countless hours spent scheduling work and waiting to pick it up.2008 chevy dually 3500.3-4 car 2009 kaufman wedge.This is my nightmare,come get some. stay out of trucking period .The guys with semis are f-d worse.Just to make a little money your truck needs to average 2 dollars per mile

I can teLL that you know nothing about trucking. You're a renegade. 40 doLLars a day for drinks and food? You're on crack or you're working for a company and don't want competition in the car market. Get off the forum!! I'm reaLLy tired of guys Like you trying to discourage weLL meaning peopLe that want to make a Living.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (344) / No (70) Reply - Report abuse

jojo in Winfield, Alabama

67 months ago

to the guy in deleware I got a 1 ton dually that needs to be put to work. If you are interested shoot me an e mail. starsandjojo@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (39) Reply - Report abuse

danieljam in Hazlehurst, Georgia

64 months ago

dj battle in Ruther Glen, Virginia said: To any body thinking of hauling cars.I have the answer to most of the questions asked. Fuel milage in a dually with 3 -4 car hauler is 100 dollars to go 200 miles. $60. per night for hotel.You cannot sleep in your truck.not to mention you have to be registered exactly like a semi.except weight .Any one who tells you different will have fun at the scales.Which you have a red target on your back and will get pulled 50% of the time.A cheap fine at the scales is 500.00 .1500 down 650.00 per month insurance.Dont forget your $1000.00 mc,irp,ifta registration.Quartelry fuel taxes,Drug testing program.mobile office fax capable .Your truck and trailer will eat brakes & tires like candy,I by 10 gallons of oil a month .4- 50 dollar a piece fuel filters .4-15 dollar oil filters. 2- 15 dollar transmission filters. 3-50 dollar Trailer brakes.3- hundred dollar trailer tires.2 truck tires.Thats just your monthly maintnence.Dont forget 3 batterys, lights bulbs, wiring.thats just if nothing breaks.Food and drinks are 30-40 dollars per day.if you have a family tell them goodbye .They dont exist in your life anymore.When you are home you better be working on your equipment or doing paper work for your fmcsa 6 month audit.You literaly will eat breathe and shiet in your truck .You pretty much work 24 hours a day.dont forget the countless hours spent scheduling work and waiting to pick it up.2008 chevy dually 3500.3-4 car 2009 kaufman wedge.This is my nightmare,come get some. stay out of trucking period .The guys with semis are f-d worse.Just to make a little money your truck needs to average 2 dollars per mile

Your full of crap!! You can make an ok living if you watch your expenses and run decent equipment. 1.50 per mile pays the bills and then some. It's your choice to leave your family and life behind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (143) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

slabbridda in Ridgeland, South Carolina

62 months ago

you could work at mcdonalds 14 hrs a day for six days and make the same money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (44) Reply - Report abuse

amyamster in houston, Texas

61 months ago

Anybody who works in this business has to WORK @ it...As an owner operator, it doesn't come easy...you do all of the legwork yourself. Kudos to all of you that do.
truckingpartners.com/driver_solutions/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Guy S in Fredericton, New Brunswick

60 months ago

Rolling Time Dispatch in Union, South Carolina said: We need 10 semi tractors for take away service hauling trailers. 1687 miles loads paying $4000 per trailer delivered. Serious inquiries only. Rollingtimesdispatch@live.com

I have a dually with 53 foot wedge trailer. Looking for work. Will go anywhere and haul anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

scott@*****.*** in Cordova, Tennessee

60 months ago

Guy S in Fredericton, New Brunswick said: I have a dually with 53 foot wedge trailer. Looking for work. Will go anywhere and haul anything.

If you are looking to lease on to a company that hauls Autos only Contact me a scott@barretttransports.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

demonchaser in Parsons, Kansas

56 months ago

Sifford Trucking in Linden, California said: Sounds to me like youre just money hungry and jealous that new people are "taking food off your plate" As all you jealous semi car haulers like to call it. Better to be making $40,000 a year instead of NOTHING AT ALL! You dont have to be so mean to people asking questions, everyone has their own opinion, and by the way, learn how to spell and type. I have a 2001 ford f-350 dually and a 1997 take 3 3/4 car wedge trailer and make PLENTY OF MONEY doing it. So thats all that matters! ANYONE can be a auto transporter, find your own loads and make your own money, stop worrying about other people.

I just wanted to say thank you for your comment. I've been in the trucking business since 1984. I've never hauled cars but I am planning on it. I broke my back in AZ back in 2007 and have one more surgery before I can get my Med-cert back (I hope)!!! Is it safe to assume I should go ahead and get my own authority and take a seminar on brokerage so I can (as they say) "cut out the middle man" and earn what I can on my own accord? I am thinking of getting a duelly like you and a 3-4 car trailer. I have a lot of studying to do, but I was wondering if I have any questions could I ask you for some advice, you seem to have a level head which leads me to believe you've been doing your business right;c) I appreciate you taking the time to consider my request sir. Ma Halo, Alan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (98) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

andrei in Vernon Hills, Illinois

56 months ago

no matter how others running their business , if you want to work and make money - can go in any business and success , i started in august 2011 with 2010 ford and ez4 kaufman , if you work hard you can make $2000 weekly (clear) , cummins will get you extra $200-300 , now i am moving into 7 car semi day cab and dont care how other businesses are doing in carhauling . i do 2300 miles in less that 72 hours (sleep only 15 hours total) , make $2000 clean money and have life and rest other 3-4 days a week.it is hard work but woth trying. anyone need advice shoot me email at mmaslov2010@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (207) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Sifford Trucking in Linden, California

56 months ago

You sleep 15 hours in a 72 hour period? Wheres your LOGS? You sound like you are running illegally.. you'll get your day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (61) Reply - Report abuse

fire_lane_11 in Asheboro, North Carolina

55 months ago

scott.donner said: Hello Scott, I am looking getting into the car hauling business, I have driven semi for well over 20 years. Please respond with your information. ie, where are you located? price per mile paid to truck? ext.
Thank you for your time.

Scott Donner
Afton, IA

were you ever able to get in touch with scott @ barrett transports? I have e-mailed several times and no reply. Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

2012 f550 in Titusville, Florida

55 months ago

wow some of u guys need to stop blaming ur lack of communication and/or relationship skills on the car hauling industry. then realize that some folks r fortunate and humble enuff to command respect of the industry and the industry bows to us. if u r a believer call thing that be as tho they were, if not do right then get right back. (karma?) in everything there r principles and truths sounds to me the work the negative guys need is to find out where r theirs... enuff said remember this tho u speak what u have in to existence! success to u

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Aww maain! We gotta preecha up in dis HOOUSE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

bpro in Calgary, Alberta

54 months ago

does anyone know what the better trailer to buy out of the kaufman trailers or the take 3 trailers? Which company is more reputable for producing quality trailers? I will be purchasing a 3-4 car trailer. Either pulling it with a 1 ton dually or a small day cab semi.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

David in Morrow, Ohio

54 months ago

Kamareye32 in Rialto, California said: This is true....I worked at a Auction before years ago and spoke with plenty of owner operators in the car hauling business that uses there pickups with a 4 car hauler and made good money and as for myself I would love to either partner up with somebody and start working or I would like to lease a trailer and truck hire a driver and go from there. i never did car hauling before but I dispatched for 5 years and I have Shipper connections everywhere. If anybody can help me on finding equipment or maybe hiring me to be your dispatcher I would totally be interested. I'm a hard worker and I am dedicated in keeping your trucks moving with loads.

Thank You,
Davon

email me at cincimotors@gmail.com. I have a little dealership and now i am trying to buy a 3 car hauler.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

David in Morrow, Ohio

54 months ago

Kamareye32 in Rialto, California said: This is true....I worked at a Auction before years ago and spoke with plenty of owner operators in the car hauling business that uses there pickups with a 4 car hauler and made good money and as for myself I would love to either partner up with somebody and start working or I would like to lease a trailer and truck hire a driver and go from there. i never did car hauling before but I dispatched for 5 years and I have Shipper connections everywhere. If anybody can help me on finding equipment or maybe hiring me to be your dispatcher I would totally be interested. I'm a hard worker and I am dedicated in keeping your trucks moving with loads.

Thank You,
Davon

email me at cincimotors@gmail.com. I have a little dealership and now i am trying to buy a 3 car hauler.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Rick in Texarkana, Arkansas

54 months ago

I make good Money Hauling cars I run out L.A California to Dallas Tx I haul 7 cars at a time I get 4500 a pay load to Dallas . Dallas to L A pays 3000 Been doing this for the last 4 Years .I run a 2001 Pete.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (69) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

NEW ENGLANDER in Plymouth, New Hampshire

53 months ago

all you dummies who think $30,000 a year is better than nothing, and that $40 a day for food is a lot are the reason why we can't make any money. If your willing to drink out of puddles in the truck stop, and eat grubs, and think $30,000 a year after fuel and insurance is profitable.. Just wait until you have a major repair or realize that your truck is probably depreciating more than $10,000 a year. If you think sleeping in the back of a pick up truck is a long term business plan, well, you'll see. If you can't afford to sleep in a motel and eat properly, your just going to be another schmuck hauling cheap freight, and convincing brokers that $.30 a mile for individual vehicles is an adequate rate. $1.50 a mile is profitable? what does that equate to when you factor in your unloaded miles. Better figure it out before you go broke. A good rule of thumb is take no more than 1/3 for fuel, 1/3 for driver's pay ( whether it's you or not), and 1/3 to the truck maintenance/ replacement/ profit. If this is attainable you may be looking at a long term sustainable business plan. This being said, I am an owner operator running a 3 car wedge with a 450 class truck, I do my own maintenance and repairs, drive 3-4 days a week, spend 1-2 on dispatching myself and accounting (ifta, etc.) 1 day working on/ washing truck, and run regional northeast so I'm rarely gone overnight. And I have not paid myself less than $60,000 a year yet. I don't rob my maintenance fund, and It takes me 3 job descriptions to earn one good salary. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
JUST SAY NO TO CHEAP FREIGHT!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (150) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

NEW ENGLANDER in Plymouth, New Hampshire said: all you dummies who think $30,000 a year is better than nothing, and that $40 a day for food is a lot are the reason why we can't make any money. If your willing to drink out of puddles in the truck stop, and eat grubs, and think $30,000 a year after fuel and insurance is profitable.. Just wait until you have a major repair or realize that your truck is probably depreciating more than $10,000 a year. If you think sleeping in the back of a pick up truck is a long term business plan, well, you'll see. If you can't afford to sleep in a motel and eat properly, your just going to be another schmuck hauling cheap freight, and convincing brokers that $.30 a mile for individual vehicles is an adequate rate. $1.50 a mile is profitable? what does that equate to when you factor in your unloaded miles. Better figure it out before you go broke. A good rule of thumb is take no more than 1/3 for fuel, 1/3 for driver's pay ( whether it's you or not), and 1/3 to the truck maintenance/ replacement/ profit. If this is attainable you may be looking at a long term sustainable business plan. This being said, I am an owner operator running a 3 car wedge with a 450 class truck, I do my own maintenance and repairs, drive 3-4 days a week, spend 1-2 on dispatching myself and accounting (ifta, etc.) 1 day working on/ washing truck, and run regional northeast so I'm rarely gone overnight. And I have not paid myself less than $60,000 a year yet. I don't rob my maintenance fund, and It takes me 3 job descriptions to earn one good salary. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
JUST SAY NO TO CHEAP FREIGHT

Well.. pretty soon all the small brokers and small haulers will be going out of business. All brokers bonds are going up to 100,000$ so the only ones that will be around anymore are going to be the BIG brokers and BIG car haulers. All these small brokers are doing things illegally and DOT is cracking down hard on all the small haulers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

How would a higher broker bond jeoperdize small truckers in any way? I only see it as a benefit, have you ever made claim on a broker's bond only to find out the $10,000 was already used up? It sucks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

that is circular logic. wedges are a target coast to coast when pulled by pick ups not tractors. the reasons are obvious, it is rare (not impossible) that you can haul 3 cars and pay for fuel, insurance and a motel room, also rare not to overload your rear truck axle (if using a one ton), and many wedges try to operate under cdl (with no cdl license, irp, ifta, etc), tough to keep 3 high paying vehicles under 26,000 lbs. if i were a dot leo, i'd stop them too, all you need to see is one thing missing, dot#'s, a sleeper, apportioned tag, ifta sticker, or any combo of 3 vehicles that are obviously over 26,000 (usually takes only one truck) and you know you've got a lucrative stop. this isn't "new for '12", it's pretty old news. they usually know you're in violation BEFORE they decide to stop you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Sifford Trucking

53 months ago

I DONT HAVE ONE in Bakersfield, California said: Hello any one as you can tell i am not very good on the computer
i am thinking about doing car hauling in California only.
I LIVE IN BAKERSFIELD CA.110 MILES NORTH OF LA AND ABOUT 3 HOURS SOUTH OF SAN.FRAN.IF I DO START TO HAUL I WILL TRY GET IN TOUCH
WITH the man in Lindon ca. i liked his reply.I will keep his email
address. I have 2500 dodge diesel i am looking for a 2 car Gooseneck.

Did you ever get into car hauling? I'm the one from Linden.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Kevin in Fort Myers, Florida said: Your better off getting experience with one of the non union haulers learn how to do it screwup their freight then go on your own

Why screw up anyone's freight...just get it done learn as much as you can and move forward my friend;c)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Demon Chaser in Parsons, Kansas said: I'm a retired O.T.R. Driver with about2.85 million in w/out accidents. I've hauled pretty much everything from 14 wide mobile home half's, too steel coils, lumber products, glass for construction sites local and otr wedge trailers for large loads of glass packs.

To answer one of your questions, when I ran flatbed I would swear by Kaufman check out this site (Please note I am NOT a sales man OK, just an old trucker trying to help you;c)

www.commercialtrucktrader.com search for kaufman trl's 3 to 4 car haulers, it should take you to the trl I was trying to show you, but this website won't allow me to use any numbers, sorry.

I have friends around the nation that work in the scale houses, they all tell me, the drivers who get into trouble are the ones who do NOT check there weight on each load, this includes your truck rear axle. Nor do a lot of them do simple basic inspections on their equipment, (i.e.-truck and trailer)

Personally I'd go with a day cab, with three axles, this will allow you to haul 12,000 on your steers, then 34,000 on your rear axle. The trailer depends on the number of axles and type of equipment you get. I noticed at the Kaufman site each trailer listed showed it's weight limitations, that should be helpful. I hope this answer one or two of your questions. Good luck to you, and do NOT let the nay sayers get you down, you can still make a living hauling. Besides if you buy one trailer for cars and another small flatbed, you could haul about anything you can legally get on-board right;c) Stay positive with your dream my friend!

I need to point out, the "Wedge trailers hauling glass was a mistake in my lack of typing skill and hyper focusing on the word "We4dge trailers" sorry ;c)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

sonny in Louisville, Kentucky

53 months ago

Sifford Trucking in Linden, California said: Sounds to me like youre just money hungry and jealous that new people are "taking food off your plate" As all you jealous semi car haulers like to call it. Better to be making $40,000 a year instead of NOTHING AT ALL! You dont have to be so mean to people asking questions, everyone has their own opinion, and by the way, learn how to spell and type. I have a 2001 ford f-350 dually and a 1997 take 3 3/4 car wedge trailer and make PLENTY OF MONEY doing it. So thats all that matters! ANYONE can be a auto transporter, find your own loads and make your own money, stop worrying about other people.

I have a 01 GMC 3500 set up for 5th wheel I am thinking about getting a 3/4 car trailer and I am located in Kentucky

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sonnymoorehouse in Louisville, Kentucky

53 months ago

I have an 01 GMC 3500 dully crue I am thinking about purchasing a 3/4 car trailer I am located In Louisville Kentucky. I want to know how to fill my trailer and keep it full on runs? Do I sign up to work for a carrier or is their a place to bid on jobs? you can email me directly smoorehouse@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

semperfiservices in Rancho Santa Margarita, California

52 months ago

Don't know why the DOT is after wedges, I see them all the time here in SoCal. And yeah it can be hard to make a wedge pay if you are (a) illegal, (b) don't wanna get your CDL so you can go over 26k, (c) and you are taking chit loads i.e. 40 cent a mile cars. I don't start my truck unless my 48' wedge is making me $2 a mile. I may go less on the way home if it means I won't be dead-heading, but I won't ever support some skeazy broker by accepting a car that's less than .50 a mile unless he's got 3 of them. Make the brokers pay- because they make the customers pay! And I'm all for raising the bond- it will force out the crappy brokers, and the good ones will keep thier drivers. How much will a 100k bond cost a month, maybe $500? My insurance is more than that! And a broker sits on his duff all day eating cheetos and playing phone tag while the drivers do all the manual labor. Yeah, I'd love to see those losers that rebook cars- i.e. buy a car on Central Dispatch and then post it on uship for half the price hoping some illegal driver with a 1985 Chevy dually with a beat up 454 with a 2 car wedge will take it- lose thier backside and find some other line of work, maybe McDonalds....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Guardian Towing

51 months ago

Alright guys!
I have been keeping up with this blog for a while now. Now I need help.
I own Guardian Towing LLC. I have one truck, a 2001, 4700, Standard shift, International with a 21ft rollback and rear wheel lift. I have been in business 17 months. I have my all my permits, DOT, MC and fully insured. Unfortunately last year I had a bad car wreck that left me with a left leg full of metal and unable to drive the standard shift in my own rollback. Since that time I have had a couple different drivers, but we just cannot seem to make it work.
So here are my thoughts that I am seeking advice on……..
I own an F350, CC, LWB, 4wd, 1 ton (Non-Dually) that I can drive. I am thinking about throwing a flat bed on my F350 and trading my rollback in on a 4 car hauler wedge.
If I get out there and hustle / stay on the road as much as possible. Note i am fully aware of cost, Tires, oil, repairs....Hotels

Can I make a living?
Any ideas how much?
Any advice on what type wedge or a flat bed?
Any advice period?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

big jack in Buffalo, New York

50 months ago

Skip Fryer in Columbus, Georgia said: I need a car hauler for the east coast, preferably 3-5 cars. You can gross 3k+ every week.I've been a process agent as well as dispatching car hauler for five years. I know the business .
Please contact me asap.

skip.fryer@yahoo.com

skip im in Buffalo, n.y give me a call shout out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pilgrim in Tucson, Arizona

50 months ago

I am really amazed at the attitude and lack of brotherhood amongst a profession that keeps America running and is needed so badley everyday by nearly every household and business. I remember years ago the saying 98% of everything the home owner buyers is delievered by truck and I suspect that is still very true to day.

But before I add my 1 1/2 pennies let me just briefly give my back ground in trucking.

Having served in the British Army for 12 1/2 years I fell back on my license because work was hard to come by in the late 70's. The average first response on an Interview was sorry we don't need anyone to driver a tank. I was discouraged and set out to get as much experiane as possible, by signing up with an Agency (Overdrive a branch of Man Power in England). I accomplished my aim and thinking back there is very little I have not transported. I was also introduced to international trucking, driving a crosss Europe to distant locations people normally only visit on vaccation. After a couple of years I was asked by a company if I would be interested in running under their permits and licenses as a owner operator. I did the home work and had a very fruitful time with them, Eventually buying my own Volvo F12 Globtrotter. I ran all over Europe and as far as Rhyad in Saudia Arabia. Each country requiring customs paper work to be filled out in the language of the Country. The Germans were the worst any spelling mistakes and they threw the papers back without an explination, so a using a Frieght forwading agent became a nessecity and worth its wieght in time and costs.

Then one day I met my wife of @$ years and although often and still do look at a truck and wonder wehere they're going and what the cargo is. My keys were retired and I sold my LAdy Jane. Arriving in the US at JFK.

To continue, posting restrictions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

What to do, Trucking and Diesel were in my Blood and I craved to get behind the wheel of the Mighty Mack and Peterbuilt with the conventional hood unlike Europe where the cabover was the in thing due to size restraints.

So in my late 30's I went back to schoo; and qualified as an EMT in White Plins, If I could drive a truck then light and sirens would be good for a laugh..lol. But then my daughter was conceived and we moved to Tucson. A trip I still remember with fond memories talking to truckers on the old 19. 3000 miles in an Izusu Trooper pulling a converted pop up camper trailer with our few belongings. ANd due to week springs and probablly being over weight blow outs every few hundred miles. To the point at El Paso we rented a U Haul and left the trailer, probably to be taken across the border and made in to a home or Latin long haul trailer in height if not length?
I remeber being told Tucson? why do you want to go to the desert? Well I naturally thought of the Saudi Desert and nothing but sand waiting for the tide to turn so I could go for a swim. Actually I have to say Tucson is one of the most picturess places I have had the priveledge of not just seeing but living in.

To be an EMT in Tucson meant I had to go back to school and requalify!!! Then I was told by an Ambulance company I would have to pay my own malpractice Insurance while earning minimum wage. So I again took a long look at Trucks, but looking was all I managed to do. Because as most on here do, Family first. But Trucking is a wierd game, its a single persons occupation, yet most singles won't do the job because they like to be out nights and partying. I then saw a job connected with Driving but where I could stay at home, so I jumped in and was equally happy with my employer as they were with me. Then sadly they went bust, so what to do? We'll I bit the bull by the horns and started out on my own with little in the bank and only a dream on the horizon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Well as time went on, the CDL license was slowly introduced and I took the tests although if I had to do it again I would not do them all on the same day.
I still never actually got behind the wheel at that time but I can claim to being the first legally licensed Truck Instructor in Arizona. Then I got the chance I was offered a trip from Nogales to LA and went and took a test drive in a Pete. I would have to be a student and co driver something I didn't relish very much and after meeting the lead I turned the job down. Sadly not all people have manners and hygene that can be shared in a small compartment for length longer than 30 seconds. So I have no done the US trucking as most of you have or are thinking of doing. Although I am toying with a Non CDL hauling business where my wife and I can do it together. now the kids are in College.

So a green horn, I am and aren't and it is annoying and upsetting when I read the negative comments on here.

My advice to those thinking of going it alone is do your home work, as someone else has suggested talk to the big companies like Swift, England and Hunt. Talk to the owner operators and the company drivers. Yes there are cowboys and 10% merchants waiting to take advantage, but they don't stay in business long especially with modern communications being as good as they are. Form a business plan talk to the bank re financial support and a line of credit. There is a wealth of good informnation out there and there are a lot of good truckers willing to share their knowledge to those who are willing to listen.
After reading this forum from begining to end, I find those being negative are either jelous of those wishing to have a go solo. Or they have read a few forums and get their jollies from trying to destreoy someone elses dreams. I say go for it guys there will be times you question your sanity and cry at what you think was a stupid idea.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

But if everyone were to throw the towel in and be a defeatest this country wouldn't be what it is.
But like most situations and events the good times always outwiegh the bad. There'll be times when youre cold and wet and hungry. But a rub down with a towel and a change of cloths makes the world of difference. As for hunger, I rarely used a truck stop a) Because they were far and few between and b) Because they were so expensive. Enen charging for overnight parking when your time ran out. I always carried my own food, and water I would pull in to industrial or a rest stop areas and cook my meals. As for $40 a day for food even now as a family of four we can still eat very well for under that amount.
Go for it but do your home work, and you'll succeed, do it on a whim and off the cuff and you'll regret it. I would change little of my life, especially none of my trucking days.. the diesel is still running strong in my veins........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

PS:

Sorry for gramatical and spelling mistakes if you find any? If you want to have a conversation of forum e mail me, pilgrim@minister.com
somethimes I'm a little slow responding....I put it down to old age but it could be being only 21 for so many years I could be living in a loop...lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

don pakaya in Los Angeles, California

50 months ago

kixs941 in Los Angeles, California said: Hello evryone im a college student and im really looking forward to starting a dually transport buisness. Im currently doing car sales sometimes across the united states and always pay ship from coast to coast. Any advice from experienced people out there?

It is better you have car haulers do that instead you start it. You might have to give up car sales too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

redish

49 months ago

mymqs3@aol.com in Oberlin, Ohio said: Many of you self proclaim prophecy's need to be more encouraging when new Hot shot drivers are asking questions, nothing in this world is easy. however, If we all can act like adults and answer a person question from the heart. Then we can oust those brokers, and dealers that are allowing frieght to be loaded and delivered for a cheap cost.

no they will just be other hot shot drivers that will grab and go on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

redish

49 months ago

Pilgrim in Tucson, Arizona said: Well as time went on, the CDL license was slowly introduced and I took the tests although if I had to do it again I would not do them all on the same day.
I still never actually got behind the wheel at that time but I can claim to being the first legally licensed Truck Instructor in Arizona. Then I got the chance I was offered a trip from Nogales to LA and went and took a test drive in a Pete. I would have to be a student and co driver something I didn't relish very much and after meeting the lead I turned the job down. Sadly not all people have manners and hygene that can be shared in a small compartment for length longer than 30 seconds. So I have no done the US trucking as most of you have or are thinking of doing. Although I am toying with a Non CDL hauling business where my wife and I can do it together. now the kids are in College .

So a green horn, I am and aren't and it is annoying and upsetting when I read the negative comments on here.

My advice to those thinking of going it alone is do your home work, as someone else has suggested talk to the big companies like Swift, England and Hunt. Talk to the owner operators and the company drivers . Yes there are cowboys and 10% merchants waiting to take advantage, but they don't stay in business long especially with modern communications being as good as they are. Form a business plan talk to the bank re financial support and a line of credit . There is a wealth of good informnation out there and there are a lot of good truckers willing to share their knowledge to those who are willing to listen.
After reading this forum from begining to end, I find those being negative are either jelous of those wishing to have a go solo. Or they have read a few forums and get their jollies from trying to destreoy someone elses dreams. I say go for it guys there will be times you question your sanity and cry at what you think was a stupid idea

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

redish

49 months ago

Not trying to rain on anyones parade or discourage them. We drive a hot shot sometimes the pay is descent but a lot of times its not. We haul stuff that tractor trailers turn down or don't won't. Not jealous by no means. We are out here doing it, team driving but its not all that glorious that tv makes it out to be. Getting loads all the time, not. Sometimes you might sit a day or so trying to find something then that all depends on where you are to if you can even get anything. Cause sometimes you have to dead head to get something so that means your cost per mile just went down. Yes you really need to do your checking into it and all real good. Good Luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

philme in District of Columbia

47 months ago

These post are really interesting. People like me come here to search for real answers from people who are doing it. Some of us have dreams of making millions and some of us have dreams of just putting food on our families plate. Either way any answer could ruin or ignite a persons dreams. Me. Im looking to make good money with quality work. To jump out there and purchase a truck (1 ton dually), 3/4 car hauler and all the needed equipment with out real business could cause some real financially difficulty. If anybody is out there that can really let me know if there is money to be made in this business please let me know. Use this forumm or my personal email address techiesrule4life@hotmail.com. After serving 12 years in the military and working for people all my life, i want to be my own boss. This appears to be an industry to my liking. The harder i work. The better i get. The more i make. Its all on my shoulders.

Serious replies only

I thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ralesi in Woodstock, Illinois

47 months ago

Ok, Here I am a guy just about to start out in car hauling and I stumble onto this forum of everyone trashing the business. OMG!!! All I can say is that I've done my research by doing trips on paper, breaking down my expenses monthly, and when I broke down my expenses, I included everything up to toilet paper...... So if anyone does not think that they can make a profit, you need to sit down and re-evaluate the way you're expensing your business. Budget budget budget. I am 53 years old and been out of work (well at least a real job) for the last 3+ years. I got my CDL 6 years ago just in case I was ever out of work as a backup. Guess what? My CDL means nothing!!! You need to have experience to get hired and since I have not used it since school, no one wants to hire me. I been in the automotive field my entire life on the management/service advisor side and unable to find a job. I drove tow trucks & 2 car flatbeds over and above during my career. So I will be comfortable driving my new 2012 Dodge 5500 with a 4 car trailer. I did the math and all research related to this. I'm not just going out and buying a truck and saying here I am - let me haul your cars x-country. I say don't get discouraged. Go for it but do it smart.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SiffordTrucking in Linden, California

47 months ago

JB Tow in San Francisco, California said: I am looking to get into hauling cars from NorCal to SoCal.
I have a 4x2 diesel 2009 F350 dually.
with a 5th wheel towing capacity of 18,700 LBS

I would appreciate some help with the following questions:

3 or 4 car wedge trailer?
What exactly does CHP check for at the weight stations?
What kind of log books do I need?
Do I need decals(weight stickers) on both, the trailer and the pickup truck?
What is a competitive rate to charge per car or per mile for the NorCal to SoCal route (approx 400 miles one way)

Youre planning on doing exactly the same thing i just quit doing after 8 months lol. That route sucks, the rate got down to about 20 - 30 cents per unit which for a full load of 3 cars on my 3-4 car wedge was only grossing about 60-80 cents one way which is not much more then it cost to run my rig. I'm not trying to discourage you but i know what the rates were and it wasnt good. CA scales told me not to worry about stopping but said i did have to run logs, i did loose leaf logs which you can get at any truck stops. If you run in california you will have to get the truck registered for a certain amount of weight and put a weight sticker on just the truck (power unit) another big cost and worry is insurance, mine was $680 per month which i couldnt even afford because of the low rate per vehicle. I ran from the SAC area to the LA area for 8 months and just couldnt make any money at it for what people wanted to pay, if you have anymore questions i have all the answers, let me know! - Brett. I live in Linden CA 10 miles east of stockton.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

JB Tow in San Francisco, California

47 months ago

SiffordTrucking in Linden, California said: Youre planning on doing exactly the same thing i just quit doing after 8 months lol. That route sucks, the rate got down to about 20 - 30 cents per unit which for a full load of 3 cars on my 3-4 car wedge was only grossing about 60-80 cents one way which is not much more then it cost to run my rig. I'm not trying to discourage you but i know what the rates were and it wasnt good. CA scales told me not to worry about stopping but said i did have to run logs, i did loose leaf logs which you can get at any truck stops. If you run in california you will have to get the truck registered for a certain amount of weight and put a weight sticker on just the truck (power unit) another big cost and worry is insurance, mine was $680 per month which i couldnt even afford because of the low rate per vehicle. I ran from the SAC area to the LA area for 8 months and just couldnt make any money at it for what people wanted to pay, if you have anymore questions i have all the answers, let me know! - Brett. I live in Linden CA 10 miles east of stockton.

Hi Brett,

I appreciate your feedback.
A few additional questions, if you don't mind...
How many round trips did you average in a month?
My insurance will be around $600 and I was also budgeting to gross about 70 cents one way.
How big was your rig? My F350 will probably average about 8mpg.
Based on that and per my calculations, I can make okay money.
Or I am missing something important?
Thanks,
JB Tow

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

SiffordTrucking in Linden, California

47 months ago

JB Tow in San Francisco, California said: Hi Brett,

I appreciate your feedback.
A few additional questions, if you don't mind...
How many round trips did you average in a month?
My insurance will be around $600 and I was also budgeting to gross about 70 cents one way.
How big was your rig? My F350 will probably average about 8mpg.
Based on that and per my calculations, I can make okay money.
Or I am missing something important?
Thanks,
JB Tow

I was doing 2 round trips per week so about 8 per month. I had a few car lots, salvage yards and auto body shops i was the main transporter for, for transporting wrecked and classic cars for. I was running my 2001 ford f-350 4 door 4x4 dually 7.3 powerstroke and a 97 take three 3-4 car wedge trailer. I never actually figured up what my truck got per gallon but im sure it was getting about 8-9 usually but all depends on the hills and how heavy of a load you have, the grapevine is a killer. I was averaging about the same....around 70 each way. Do you already have a ca number and all that? and a trailer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

semperfiservices in Rancho Santa Margarita, California

47 months ago

I run SD/LA to SAC every now nad then, and even with uship loads I gross about $1.50 a mile MINIMUM- because I refuse to work for less. In 2.5 days I NETTED $1350, that's after fuel, food, 2 used spare tires. I slept in my dually- which is legal now- and drove at 60- which means I coulda got better than the 8.2 mpg I averaged going up there grossing 27,000 with a 3 car wedge.

To do this gig you will need your operating authority, join a drug testing consortium, get your CHP new entrance safety inspection, up your trucks registration to the MAX you think you'll ever run (and don't cheat on this) get commercial insurance (NO your trucks personal insurance policy WILL NOT cover you while working FOR HIRE). Long story short, I dropped about $2800 to get started, and then the $450 a month ins since I have a clean record. Don't even try this if you got a DUI on your record. If you plan on leaveing SoCal you'll need IFTA and IRP (apportioned plates) and don't go over 26k w/o a CDL. Luckily for dually owners we don't have to hit the scales, but can still get stopped. CYA!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CP in Pasadena, Texas

46 months ago

Just started a Transport business. Looking for a 3-4 car hauler for sale. Any suggestions on dealers or know of any individual looking to sell?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

oldharley in Lakeland, Florida

44 months ago

PHILME in District of Columbia said: These post are really interesting. People like me come here to search for real answers from people who are doing it. Some of us have dreams of making millions and some of us have dreams of just putting food on our families plate. Either way any answer could ruin or ignite a persons dreams. Me. Im looking to make good money with quality work. To jump out there and purchase a truck (1 ton dually), 3/4 car hauler and all the needed equipment with out real business could cause some real financially difficulty. If anybody is out there that can really let me know if there is money to be made in this business please let me know. Use this forumm or my personal email address techiesrule4life@hotmail.com. After serving 12 years in the military and working for people all my life, i want to be my own boss. This appears to be an industry to my liking. The harder i work. The better i get. The more i make. Its all on my shoulders.

Serious replies only

I thank you.

You need to find something else to do.My first couple of months in this cost me over 15000.00 in repairs and losses.No one is paying to haul cars.Dont make the mistake I did.The money is not there dont believe these guys,fuel expenses,sleeping in your truck.Cant make any money.you will lose everything,take some advice from someone with 40 years experience.Too many out there nobody pays more than 50 cents per car X 3 $1.50 per mile you cant do it.Wish I would have listened. $8000.00 for a trailer that sold 3 months later for 4400.00 truck at 15000.00 that sold for $9000.00 after $4000.00 more in goodies,and $5000.00 in repairs on the highway,and a $1000.00 tow bill.This was my first trip out.
Your better off to drive for someone.Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

PHILME in District of Columbia said: These post are really interesting. People like me come here to search for real answers from people who are doing it. Some of us have dreams of making millions and some of us have dreams of just putting food on our families plate. Either way any answer could ruin or ignite a persons dreams. Me. Im looking to make good money with quality work. To jump out there and purchase a truck (1 ton dually), 3/4 car hauler and all the needed equipment with out real business could cause some real financially difficulty. If anybody is out there that can really let me know if there is money to be made in this business please let me know. Use this forumm or my personal email address techiesrule4life@hotmail.com. After serving 12 years in the military and working for people all my life, i want to be my own boss. This appears to be an industry to my liking. The harder i work. The better i get. The more i make. Its all on my shoulders.

Serious replies only

I thank you.

If you really want to make money out there then strictly car hauling isnt the route to go right now... I would get a 40ft flatbed that way you have more options when car hauling goes slow.. you can put ANYTHING on a flatbed and it pays pretty good to haul trailers, construction and just misc. stuff.. i did the whole 4 car wedge and made NO money.. i was always wishing I had one of my buddys flat bed trailers because they all ran 40ft flatbeds and made BANK! Do you watch the show shipping wars on A&E? If so, does anyone on there have a 4 car trailer? Nope. Flatbed is the way to go!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.