PULLING INTO WEIGH STATIONS

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

COWBOYUP in Modesto, California

53 months ago

DO THESE GUYS WHO DRIVE THESE DUALLY TRUCKS[DODGE 3500,F350] NEED TO STOP AT THE SCALE STATIONS; IM INCALIFORNIA. I ASK BECAUSE I SEE SOME OF THEM DRIVE RIGHT ON BY THE STATIONS. ONE GUY TOLD ME HE DIDNT NEED TO BECAUSE HES DRIVING A PICKUP TRUCK AND HES JUST READING THE SIGN THAT SAYS NO PICKUPS IN THE SCALES ONLY TRUCKS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Spyder31 in Winchester, Virginia said: Thats definitely not true. They have to stop in scales just as any other commercial vehicle. They have all of the same regulations as a big truck. Log books, scales, everything. They have weight restrictions and axle limitations also.

BUT IS THE RULES DIFFERENT IN YOUR STATE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

spyder31 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

53 months ago

DOT are federal regulations so they don't vary from state to state. They apply throughout the country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

grimrepo in Canton, Georgia

53 months ago

spyder31 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: DOT are federal regulations so they don't vary from state to state. They apply throughout the country.

yeah they are federal regulations, but the states are the ones who enforce those regulations! if they dont want to spend the man hours enforcing some rules, they wont! the laws are up for interpretation and it depends on who is interpreting it on the side of the road or in a remote scale house! if a dually does not pull in a scale house in va,fl,tn,la,nc they will lit them up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gary in Victorville, California

52 months ago

I just stumbled across this while doing a search.

I operate a fleet of pickups and cab n chassis trucks in the Western half of the country. All of them pull GN style trailers hauling LTL freight. If you have a pickup bed on your truck you do not have to stop at California Scale houses. There's actually a sign at the exits of California weigh stations saying No Pickups "do not enter". When I made the switch from big trucks to these smaller trucks I made it a point to ask the scales houses. I didn't want to get in any trouble. Each Scale house I called here in California said no they do not want me pulling in even though I'm hauling freight just like the semi's out there. The pickups we run pulling Goose neck style trailers do not stop at California weigh stations. The cab n chassis trucks we run do because with no bed they're considered a tractor not a pickup. Hope this helps. Here's a link to my website, if you need the fact about this type of work be sure to check out my forum also. You'll find a link to my forum on my website. Gary M&H Logistics www.flatbedcarrier.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

California is the only State this applies to, everywhere else we go all our trucks pull into the scales/weigh stations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rick in Knightdale, North Carolina

52 months ago

what if the car hauler is an empty one? a Gooseneck wedge type! when empty do you still need to pull into a weigh station?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Except in California if your using a pickup with the factory pickup bed on it. Yes you need to pull into weigh Stations loaded or empty. Everywhere else except California with a pickup bed on you have to go into the scales.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

San Jose Guy in San Jose, California

52 months ago

Hello, in California

What if you have say a company Utility, F-150 or 350 flat bed pick up
with the normal size locker in the back?
Do I have to enter scales?

What about a class C , F-350 with the side cabinets?
Are regular class C work vehicles allowed to trail after a commercial vehicle
That its working with, in the scales ?

For example, a big rig with a class C, supervisor's car following it...

If i'm a class A driver but driving class C that day, in the log book
is that considered "on duty driving" or "not driving" ?

Thank you!

52 months ago

do you have to carry or do log books when your driving these trucks {f350 dodge 3500} when pulling 3 or 4 car trailers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rich in Peoria, Arizona

52 months ago

If it's a commercial vehicle, I would go in each state it could be different.
Bypassing ascale is a big fine.
Anytime your driving a commercial vehicle and your an active driver log it
Arizona port of entry gave me a $583 fine for failing to flag a a stop at a tire repair shop.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

San Jose Guy in San Jose, California said: Hello, in California

What if you have say a company Utility, F-150 or 350 flat bed pick up
with the normal size locker in the back?
Do I have to enter scales?

What about a class C , F-350 with the side cabinets?
Are regular class C work vehicles allowed to trail after a commercial vehicle
That its working with, in the scales ?

For example, a big rig with a class C, supervisor's car following it...

If i'm a class A driver but driving class C that day, in the log book
is that considered "on duty driving" or "not driving" ?

Thank you!

In CA yes, if you have a flatbed, box bed, utility bed, dump bed, or any other type of truck bed other than a stock pickup bed you have to enter the scales. You'll also need a CA number on the side of your truck or a USDOT number. USDOT numbers are free from the FMCSA.

As far as Class A licenses are concerned, the only time you need one in CA is if your vehicle or combination of vehicles exceed 26,001 GVW. Or if your trailer has a 10,001 GVW or greater.

As far as log books, If you work within a 100 mile radius from your shop/office they're not required. If you travel over 100 miles from your shop/companies office you need to keep a log book. If your not running a log book your supposed to keep a time card on fle at your work location.

Hope this stuff helps you. Gary

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

COWBOYUP in Modesto, California said: do you have to carry or do log books when your driving these trucks {f350 dodge 3500} when pulling 3 or 4 car trailers.

If your traveling more than 100 miles from your office/shop yes your required to keep a log book. Within 100 miles requires a time card to be kept on file at your office.

Gary

52 months ago

your only alowed to drive for how many hour? is it 10

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

11 when your crossing state lines. If your just running California only you can drive 12 hours.

Here's a good link for you to learn about log book rules

www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/driver/hos/fmcsa-guide-to-hos.pdf

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Those are the federal rules that pertain to over the road driving. California has some rules that differ slightly for Ag and Drivers who stay inside California. Like the 12 hour rule for instance. Sometimes federal rules superceede State rules and vice versa. Hope that helps you. Gary www.flatbedcarrier.com www.hotshotltlcarrier.com

Randy in Villa Grove, Illinois

41 months ago

Rick in Knightdale, North Carolina said: what if the car hauler is an empty one? a Gooseneck wedge type! when empty do you still need to pull into a weigh station?

YES!!! just because its empty doesnt mean its not a commercial vehicle anymore..you will usually get the bypass light and on rare occasions they may check you out. Log books,permits etc...

Mike and Rene' in Clearlake, California

36 months ago

We run a 66' ford dump truck, we have insurance and we are licensed outside of the ca. #'s can someone tell me what else we need to be doing to make sure we are in compliance with everyone, our weight is unladen/g/cgw 8160 and we are in ca.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.