car hauler wages

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (201 to 250 of 253)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Thought about it, then did the math in Tallahassee, Florida

33 months ago

For those looking to get into car hauling. I saw a post that said .40 to .60 cents per mile. Lets to the math. Lets look at 400 Miles at a conservative 15mpg with a 26 gallon tank. At .40 cents you will make $160 every 400 miles, but wait, you have to fill up at 400. So 26 times $3.80 equals $98.80. Congrats, at 55MPH you drove for 7.5 hours and made $60.19. That works out to be 8 dollars an hour. So lets say you drive for 16 hours and stop for 8. Some guys will say "I never stop for 8 hours" just total up everytime you stop to eat or use the bathroom, it adds up. If you drive for 16 you stand to make $120.38. If you eat sandwiches and sleep in you truck you may be able to afford a place to live and truck maintenance. I would forget about supporting anyone else on this salary. Lets not forget about taxes and insurance.

The more cars you can haul at once the more money you will make. If you are the guy trying to haul cars behind your 2004 chevy, dodge, ford you may want to look at staying home and finding an 8.00/hr job and have more money to spend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Raq in Marietta, Georgia

33 months ago

Your math is so off point. Try multiplying your numbers by 3,5, or maybe even 7. You can make a good living hauling cars if you work at it. Stay busy and keep up your maintenance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

SemperFiServices in Rancho Santa Margarita, California

33 months ago

15 mpg LMAO!! I get between 9 and 10mpg grossing between 24-30k, even less if I get to my max of 32k and into headwinds or hills. So it's gonna cost me on average .50 cents a mile in fuel alone, that doesn't account for food, maintenance, hotels, ifta, insurance etc. That's why I don't take cheap cars. Yeah there will always be a sucker who will fall for a cheap-ass brokers load, but that driver will be broke while the broker keeps his country club payments going. On my 3 car wedge I don't roll unless I'm making $2 a mile minimum.

steve in Covington, Georgia

32 months ago

Just come across this, Ive been on both ends of the car hauling biz at one time I had 2 stingers and 3 hotshots.
If your starting out you do not want to buy a new truck overhead and fuel mpg on new trucks suck.
Get the older motor they get ALOT better mpg and thats going to be most of your expenses.
To the one asking about insurance the cheapest is the one you mentioned and if your doing hotshots that's the one Togo with .
They say a 500 mile radius but they don't hold you to it I had um for years.
Also agree with the above to make money in trucking it has to be in your blood ive done a bit of everything and love to haul cars. sometimes its great sometimes it sucks just the way it is.

Rod in Arlington, Texas

32 months ago

The insurance company may not "hold you to it" (the 500 mile radius) but have an accident outside that radius and you have not notified them you were going outside of it, and see how fast they deny your claim. Always check with your agent if you have to go outside your covered radius.

pps@twitter-in-business.net in Mcdonough, Georgia

31 months ago

rodk046 in Grand Prairie, Texas said: envy0626,
Our company is competing with Central Dispatch . I would be very interested in receiving a reply about what are your likes and dislike are about Central. For that matter anyone out there feel free to reply.

I agree Central helps much less than selling your self

pps@twitter-in-business.net in Mcdonough, Georgia

31 months ago

Angel in Durham, North Carolina said: Does your friend have his own DOT, MC#s, authority and insurance ? I hear FL is dropping a lot of peoples commerical insurance. E-mail me at angelconda@yahoo.com.

I may be able to help. email me pps@twitter-in-business.net

bashman1978@yaho.com

31 months ago

about dis twic card, where to go to get one? at the port it self.Is it good business coming out of their as far has work.Iam a new starter, look to stay on top of the work. lives in orlando. Anyone can reply who believes in success.

Pokerkid2 in Providence, Rhode Island

31 months ago

I've only been in bussiness for a year from what I hear its not worth getting a twic cause you sit around at the ports for hours and don't get paid for it. There is plenty other cars out there you can make just as much money and keep the tires moving. Hope this helps good luck!!

Eric Moore

31 months ago

Twic cards are not worth the 3 hours it takes to get a car into the port

jordan in Long Branch, New Jersey

31 months ago

joe in Vineland, New Jersey said: i also am thinking about starting to haul cars i have a truck i just nead a trailer i dont know how to get started as far as finding work if anyone can help that would be great i am looking to transport any where from nj to fl

i have a 2007 Georgia Trailer Company wedge 3/4 car hauler email me mrjrivera@optonline.net

jordan in Long Branch, New Jersey

31 months ago

cody wright said: I hauled cars for awhile back couplw years ago....i pulled a 42 ft enclosed trailer we hauled show cars and exotic cars....very dependable...trustworthy looking for all the work i can find. i have a 2003 dodge one ton if i get a response i will purchase trailer to fit needs....

ihave a 2007 Georgia Trailer Company wedge 3/4 car hauler email me mrjrivera@optonline.net

Diversified Sales in Oxford, Maine

31 months ago

I have work and have 2 102 x 50 wedge with center rails. Need haulers for Northbound runs of cargo trailers from GA to New England have 1-2 loads a week.

Diversified Sales in Oxford, Maine

31 months ago

Average loads eleven -twelve hundred miles Rate is $1.60 loaded mile

Blackwrench in Dallas, Texas

31 months ago

I am very interested in getting into the car hauling business in Dallas Texas. Can anyone tell me the best way to get started. Been in the maintenance business for 15 years and just want a change of pace.

Blackwrench in Dallas, Texas

31 months ago

Diversified Sales in Oxford, Maine said: I have work and have 2 102 x 50 wedge with center rails. Need haulers for Northbound runs of cargo trailers from GA to New England have 1-2 loads a week.

What are your qualifications.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bashman1978@yaho.com

31 months ago

Pokerkid2 in Providence, Rhode Island said: I've only been in bussiness for a year from what I hear its not worth getting a twic cause you sit around at the ports for hours and don't get paid for it. There is plenty other cars out there you can make just as much money and keep the tires moving. Hope this helps good luck!!

preciate it, driver. probably put dat on the back burner, and targate the auctions,advertise as much has possible.But the business looks like it is picking up a little.

Hauler32 in Indianapolis, Indiana

30 months ago

These guys that say there is no money in a 3 car wedge are full of sh@t, I have a f-450, 3 car kaufman wedge, I get $120 a load and do 8 loads a day 5 days a week, some weekends, do the math. I have about $5,100 a month in expenses. Ive never seen such a@!holes in my life then truckers, when i first go into this business. Nobody wants to help anybody and everybody just wants to f#@k everybody. Dont belive what they say, do the research yourself

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

fire_lane_11 in Greensboro, North Carolina

30 months ago

Hauler32 in Indianapolis, Indiana said: These guys that say there is no money in a 3 car wedge are full of sh@t, I have a f-450, 3 car kaufman wedge, I get $120 a load and do 8 loads a day 5 days a week, some weekends, do the math. I have about $5,100 a month in expenses. Ive never seen such a@!holes in my life then truckers, when i first go into this business . Nobody wants to help anybody and everybody just wants to f#@k everybody. Dont belive what they say, do the research yourself

Hauler, I would like to talk to you if possible for some advice. Shoot me an email when you get a chance with a contact number and I will call you. Fire_lane_11@yahoo.com thanks!

4Car Haul in Merrillville, Indiana

29 months ago

Im looking for a car hauler to haul a 4 car wally-mo, from Chicago to NJ and back. Need CDL. reply for more info.

jrbhunter in north port, Florida

29 months ago

Rolling Time Dispatch in Union, South Carolina said: Need a dispatcher ? New to the business ? We are a Family owned company that have been in business for 4 years with great references. We have immediate openings for Owner Operator Car Haulers (3-10 car carriers) to transport vehicles. Position requires own truck and 3-10 car hauler trailer. You can run under your own authority or ours! We run nationwide with full loads all the time!!!
#1 customer satisfaction is our goal...email us at rollingtimedispatch@live.com to get your wheels earning!

i have F450 and i want to get into the business i will buy a trailer if you are looking to take on another driver

jrbhunter in north port, Florida

29 months ago

Rolling Time Dispatch in Union, South Carolina said: Need a dispatcher ? New to the business ? We are a Family owned company that have been in business for 4 years with great references. We have immediate openings for Owner Operator Car Haulers (3-10 car carriers) to transport vehicles. Position requires own truck and 3-10 car hauler trailer. You can run under your own authority or ours! We run nationwide with full loads all the time!!!
#1 customer satisfaction is our goal...email us at rollingtimedispatch@live.com to get your wheels earning!

i have F450 and i want to get into the business i will buy a trailer if you are looking to take on another driver or if anybody else is looking for a reliable driver email me at jrbhunter@yahoo.com

deonsvans in RICHTON PARK, Illinois

29 months ago

If you still have your trailer can you e-mail me back. Deon@deoncan@live.com

Me in Spring, Texas

29 months ago

Cindy in San Antonio, Texas said: We are starting our Auto Transport business soon.
We are having trouble finding affordable commercial auto and cargo insurance .

Can anyone please point us in the right direction.

Tried progressive and they couldnt quote--only 500 mile radius.
tried independent agent and quote for both was 10,000 a year--ridiculous!

help please :)

OOIDA is your best bet. You have to join for a small fee but you get a group rate. Call them first.

Me in Spring, Texas

29 months ago

underworked car hauler in Swainsboro, Georgia said: Although an owner operator will make considerably more than a driver ! but the o/o has more risk involved, but then again a good sriver will limit that.

That is really not the case anymore. Company drivers are making between 70,000 and 80,000 per year, full benefits, three weeks paid vacation, and ten paid holidays. Good luck ever clearing that as an owner operator with gas over four dollars per gallon.

Me in Spring, Texas

29 months ago

Rod in Arlington, Texas said: The insurance company may not "hold you to it" (the 500 mile radius) but have an accident outside that radius and you have not notified them you were going outside of it, and see how fast they deny your claim. Always check with your agent if you have to go outside your covered radius.

DOT will hold you to it. They check to make sure you have valid insurance any time you pull in a weight station and get an inspection. If you are hauling across state lines expect to be pulled in a weight station every 7-14 days. If you do not have valid insurance the truck will be tagged and can not move until the situation is resolved. DOT will also fine you to death in the meantime.

Me in Spring, Texas

29 months ago

Hauler32 in Indianapolis, Indiana said: These guys that say there is no money in a 3 car wedge are full of sh@t, I have a f-450, 3 car kaufman wedge, I get $120 a load and do 8 loads a day 5 days a week, some weekends, do the math. I have about $5,100 a month in expenses. Ive never seen such a@!holes in my life then truckers, when i first go into this business . Nobody wants to help anybody and everybody just wants to f#@k everybody. Dont belive what they say, do the research yourself

Freight in the Midwest does tend to pay better than other areas like Florida. Most of the Midwest is flat so you are not burning through gas as quickly as in the western states like Colorado. You can not make a blanket statement about profitablity for the entire country. Freight rates are regional.

Me in Spring, Texas

29 months ago

Thought about it, then did the math in Tallahassee, Florida said: For those looking to get into car hauling. I saw a post that said .40 to .60 cents per mile. Lets to the math. Lets look at 400 Miles at a conservative 15mpg with a 26 gallon tank. At .40 cents you will make $160 every 400 miles, but wait, you have to fill up at 400. So 26 times $3.80 equals $98.80. Congrats, at 55MPH you drove for 7.5 hours and made $60.19. That works out to be 8 dollars an hour. So lets say you drive for 16 hours and stop for 8. Some guys will say "I never stop for 8 hours" just total up everytime you stop to eat or use the bathroom, it adds up. If you drive for 16 you stand to make $120.38. If you eat sandwiches and sleep in you truck you may be able to afford a place to live and truck maintenance. I would forget about supporting anyone else on this salary. Lets not forget about taxes and insurance .

The more cars you can haul at once the more money you will make. If you are the guy trying to haul cars behind your 2004 chevy, dodge, ford you may want to look at staying home and finding an 8.00/ hr job and have more money to spend.

DOT requires that a driver stop for ten hours each day so the maximum you can legally run is 14 hours in a 24 hour period. I am not disagreeing with your math it is pretty accurate.

Pelham Bradley in Dilley, Texas

29 months ago

I was thinking of getting into the hotshot business and going w/ CDL, DOT, etc., but talking to a few folks that drive semis they tell enough horror stories to scare anybody away. I can use my Dodge 3/4HD Mega Cab 4WD w/ 7800 GVWR, which has handled boats up to 36 foot w/o blinking, and buy a, say, 34 ft flatbed w/ winch to haul 2 cars. Can I use this to haul interstate w/o CDL, DOT, etc.??? Or does any commercially used vehicle, like off of U-Ship, have to have DOT, etc.? I'm retired now and just wanted to do this part-time to have something to do, at least at first to see how it flies. Thanks!

Pelham Bradley in Raymondville, Texas

29 months ago

Pelham Bradley in Dilley, Texas said: I was thinking of getting into the hotshot business and going w/ CDL, DOT, etc., but talking to a few folks that drive semis they tell enough horror stories to scare anybody away. I can use my Dodge 3/4HD Mega Cab 4WD w/ 7800 GVWR, which has handled boats up to 36 foot w/o blinking, and buy a, say, 34 ft flatbed w/ winch to haul 2 cars. Can I use this to haul interstate w/o CDL, DOT, etc.??? Or does any commercially used vehicle, like off of U-Ship, have to have DOT, etc.? I'm retired now and just wanted to do this part-time to have something to do, at least at first to see how it flies. Thanks!

Okay, nevermind! I found the info, yeah, I'm screwed.

Kevin in Merrillville, Indiana

28 months ago

Hauler32 What company you leased to? Looking for somewhere reliable to put my truck.

ANM in San Diego, California

24 months ago

I need the dispatcher in San Diego to get loads. What is your contacts? thanks, Andrei

ANM in San Diego, California

24 months ago

I need the dispatcher in San Diego to get loads . thanks, Andrei

oldharley in Florida

24 months ago

You are full of sh#t. 8 loads a day. Where are you going a block away.you probably haul for the auction there in indy.which by the way know most of the auctioners around there, so quit bs everyone.You are a wanna be! They dont pay that kind of money.
40.00 per car your full of sh$t.

oldharley in Florida

24 months ago

Me in Spring, Texas said: DOT requires that a driver stop for ten hours each day so the maximum you can legally run is 14 hours in a 24 hour period. I am not disagreeing with your math it is pretty accurate.

This is whats wrong with people, 15 miles to the gallon.Where in the hell did you come up with this figure.You will be lucky to get 8 to10 miles to the gallon.
Plain and simple THERE IS NO MONEY IN CARHAULING!
TOO MANY PEOPLE DOING IT FOR NOTHING!
YOU will be lucky to get 40 cents to 75 cents per car.
Diesel at 4.00 plus per gallon, insurance will eat you alive.
We have 44 years in the business and get cheap insurance.
But there still is no money in this.Your better off to drive for someone and let them worry about expenses.Central dispatch is the leading player in car freight and they are cheaper than dirt.Just look on uship and see what people ship cars for.
Im just trying to save you a lot of bs in the end.
Doesn't matter to me what you do.But been there done that.

Ott in Boca Raton, Florida

24 months ago

I always go with <a href="www.shipyourcarnow.com">ship your car now</a> because they do all the leg work for me. I have a dealership out in Boca and when I have to get a lot of shipping done and they always get it done for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ott in Boca Raton, Florida

24 months ago

I didn't realize this would mangle any actual links... I mean www.shipyourcarnow.com

bashman1978

23 months ago

[oldharly. No disrespect, but i dont agree withu on this. Drivers that claim der is no money to be made is the ones thats scared the new business mind people is going to get a piece a the cake , u all try to discourage us. Nahh nt going to work. Did my own research, money is always out there. U got to work hard for it. For the new guys, follow ur dreams. All is possible. just dont get in it and think its going to happen over night, BLESS.

chrlnbetz in Hummelstown, Pennsylvania

23 months ago

My husband and I have been researching a car hauling business and came across this website. He has the CDL and I would do the office work. It's hard to find how much is to be made in this business to use for our business plan. Reading some posts is very discouraging. Is it that bad? Cars still need to move. The country still has to keep running. Doing the math it would make sense to charge a minimum of 1.1/mile. We will do this right, we don't want to just buy a truck and start diving. He can do maintance on the vehicle as well. So what is the best rate to charge?

Diversified Sales in Western, Massachusetts

23 months ago

chrlnbetz in Hummelstown, Pennsylvania said: My husband and I have been researching a car hauling business and came across this website. He has the CDL and I would do the office work. It's hard to find how much is to be made in this business to use for our business plan. Reading some posts is very discouraging. Is it that bad? Cars still need to move. The country still has to keep running. Doing the math it would make sense to charge a minimum of 1.1/mile. We will do this right, we don't want to just buy a truck and start diving. He can do maintance on the vehicle as well. So what is the best rate to charge?

We are paying $1.60 per mile on full load of Trailers normally Enclosed cargo trailers but also utility and dump trailers. The Enclosed trailers are from Ga and go to the northeast. Have 3-4 loads per week at this point and growing. Try and use regular haulers when possible also use some fillin's when needed. The Haulers are picking loads of 3 cars going south and getting $1500 - $2200 on the south bound runs and on average are happy. My average runs are 1100 miles. Yes there is money to be made keep under 26000# so you don,t need IFTA or Apportion plates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Diversified Sales in Northeast US

23 months ago

We pay $1.60 per mile for loads of trailers. Normally Enclosed Cargo trailers but also include Dump Trailers and utility trailers. Average haul is 1100 miles Ga - Northeast. We currently have 3- 4 loads per weeks and growing. Have several regular haulers and some that pick loads as needed basis looking to add another regular. The haulers are picking loads of 3 cars heading south loads pay $1500-$2200. Remember keep the loads under 26,000# keeps you away from IFTA and Apportioned Plates

bashman1978

22 months ago

does hotshots get paid empty miles too, to go pickup?

22 months ago

We only pay loaded miles based off Central dispatch / google / mapquest

dodge dually 3500 in Brentwood, New York

22 months ago

Diversified Sales in Northeast US said: We pay $1.60 per mile for loads of trailers. Normally Enclosed Cargo trailers but also include Dump Trailers and utility trailers. Average haul is 1100 miles Ga - Northeast. We currently have 3- 4 loads per weeks and growing. Have several regular haulers and some that pick loads as needed basis looking to add another regular. The haulers are picking loads of 3 cars heading south loads pay $1500-$2200. Remember keep the loads under 26,000# keeps you away from IFTA and Apportioned Plates

I am new to this business. I am about to purchase a dually pick up and 3 car wedge trailer. I was offered loads from a broker that will do all paperwork and getting me loads but i have to pay 15% of gross income. Starting out; should i look for loads myself on Central dispatch or use this broker? Any advise will be greatly appreciated

22 months ago

I have work for 102" wide wedge trailers with center rail. We need to add a couple more transporters. We have all you need running North and you will find returns on Central and why pay a broker as Central Dispatch you get the Paperwork Only thing I find brokers do is Lie to customers to get the loads and let the driver deal with the customer on delivery.

JC in Oxnard, California

21 months ago

fire_lane_11 in Greensboro, North Carolina said: Hauler, I would like to talk to you if possible for some advice. Shoot me an email when you get a chance with a contact number and I will call you. Fire_lane_11@yahoo.com thanks!

Fire.....I have the itch and Im seriously considering getting into this business. Im in Southern California and see alot of vehicles being moved.... Can you email me to discuss and offer advice?

Thanks

Chris

Jchris93003@yahoo.com

SemperFiServices in Rancho Santa Margarita, California

21 months ago

I'm looking for more consistent work between SoCal and Sacramento. I run a 3 carwedge with a tractor so weight isn't an issue for me like with duallys. I usually get my own loads off of various broker sites, but amd entertaining hiring a dispatcher. Please email me at OCSEMPERFI@AOL.COM Here's my website www.semperfiservices.org

Abe in Brewer, Maine

18 months ago

Diversified Sales in Northeast US said: I have work for 102" wide wedge trailers with center rail. We need to add a couple more transporters. We have all you need running North and you will find returns on Central and why pay a broker as Central Dispatch you get the Paperwork Only thing I find brokers do is Lie to customers to get the loads and let the driver deal with the customer on delivery .

Hi, I have a 3car carrier and I am new and from Maine. I have my insurance all I need a start. any idea from where to start or what website?? thanks my email lifewave20@hotmail.com

Sam in West Hartford, Connecticut

17 months ago

I have a 2006 peterbilt 387 plus a 2007 cottrel 5309 for sale..
Cost over 140k

I like to sell ...give 20k and we can tranfer the balane own to bank to your name
Dstransport@live.com

Ali in Fallston, Maryland

11 months ago

George in Adelanto, California said: Can anyone give me an idea of how much a guy haulng a 3/4 car hauler should be paid? thanks

I see you are about to start car hauling. If someone needs to get a dispatcher send email to rikonlogisticslc@gmail.com. Ali. Dispatch. Thanks

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.