Union Journeyman Carpenter Looking for Work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (201 to 250 of 574)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

keithromeyn@live,com in Largo, Florida

77 months ago

I'm a twenty year commercial carpenter (metal framing drywall)I'm stuck hear in Largo Fl.I am willing to relocate for work. I'll live in a tent if need be. The only work here is crumns.The pay is like south of the southern border! I realize,there's not Ahole lot of work out there, but I still have to live. If you have anything, PLEASE DROP ME A LINE! THANK YOU!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Andrea in Miami, Florida

77 months ago

I work for a staffing agency in Fort Lauderdale. We currently have a position available for a skilled carpenter with custom wood, decking, truss & timber exp. If anybody fits the criteria please email me at andrea@dssifl.com for more information. We will have more positions soon but this an immediate opening. Thanks

Andrea

Reply - Report abuse

carpon73 in Austell, Georgia

76 months ago

I have 19 years of experience as a commercial carpenter, originaly from the Chicago area, and have also held lead carpenter, foreman, and assistant superintendant positions.

I have a great work ethic, my own transportation, and am looking for work! Anyone heard of anything?

Reply - Report abuse

Howard1963 in San Diego, California

76 months ago

mbaileyone@msn.com in Spartanburg, South Carolina said: Right now we are having a hard time filling possitions in South Carolina, Were pulling guy's from Macon, Savahnna, & Atlanta to fill the in the gaps... Question is will it last ??? I was told last week the BA said there's another signatory contractor coming with two year of work ! ! Looking mighty Good, Praise the Lord...

Hi I'm Howie, I'm a journeyman taper out of work in San Diego Could any one contact me with a number to call in South Carolina for a Union Drywall company that's doing the hiring I'm ready to relocate to where ever the work is My e-mail is artbygoddriftwood@yahoo.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Deidre Reyes in Oxnard, California

76 months ago

Hi, we are here in Ventura County, CA. The prevailing wage is much higher here than in other states I've found from research, but my husband's been unemployed now for 7 months, so I'm sure whatever it is there is higher than the unemployment checks! South Carolina, huh? What is their prevailing wage for Journeyman Level metal stud framing and drywall interior systems?
Thank you,
Mrs. Reyes

Reply - Report abuse

lian thawng in San Diego, California

76 months ago

i come tixi

Reply - Report abuse

slyslkwckd in Corona, California

76 months ago

chriscannon17r@yahoo.com in Riverside, California said: I moved out to Riverside 2 years ago from Bakersfeild. I been looking for work all over the Inland empire. I keep being told that every company is just hanging on to the crew they have. I started on the Union list at 520 now Im 25 been sitting at 25 for 2 months. I work in the Bridges and freeway anything with concrete. If anyone knows where someone is Hiring please help...

I have been off work for almost a year. I too live in Riverside. I started in 2001 and have never been laid off or out of work until now. Good luck there is no work around here even if you know people.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

There are some major road projects up here in Oxnard due to the federal money allocated under the Bush administration. Specifically, the Rice Ave overpass being completely re-routed and other offramps in Camarillo at Las Posas Rd. My husband does interior systems and metal stud, but check out the contractors at Union 150 in Camarillo who have those jobs: Ventura Local Union 150 412 Dawson Drive Camarillo, CA 93012. (phone number not allowed by blog rules apparently) Talk to Joe or Alan...good luck.
I know what you're saying about them keeping "their guys busy"...how do you become one of "their guys?"...7 months and holding...in 25 years this has never happened to him.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

madwranglertj in Rockland, Massachusetts

76 months ago

I am a Union carpenter, I have been out of work for almost a solid 2 years!! There have been small things here in there. Ontop of struggling to survive I lost my daughter to a brain tumor. Through all of this hardship I thought going back to school would be the best thing to do...I just graduated from Wentworth Institute of Technology in Construction Management with an Associates, I will be going on to get my bachelors in construction management starting next week. I just want to work, be able to care for my family, and not loose my house (which up till now we've managed to hang onto) I hope someone might be looking for someone hard working, dependable, someone who is always looking to advance my skills and be better for the company that employs me.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

chris campbell in Monrovia, Indiana

76 months ago

mitch davis in Saratoga Springs, New York said: lots of work near albany ny.800 million computer chip plant going onAll union with tons of overtime

how is the job market for union carpenters up there im an apprentice looking to go to a state with unions and a good economy because indiana is drying up as you could say

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

josemsanchez in carol stream, Illinois

76 months ago

Can you supply the name of the project so that the rest of us carpenters out of work can also look this up and maybe have a shot at getting some work?????? By all means Thanks before hand, another carpenter desperate for work.

Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

jose m sanchez in carol stream, Illinois said: Can you supply the name of the project so that the rest of us carpenters out of work can also look this up and maybe have a shot at getting some work?????? By all means Thanks before hand, another carpenter desperate for work.

Its not carpentry... its concrete work as the guy had stated he was working at on "bridges and roads"...it might be through the Union 585, Laborers, but your best bet for Carpenters is to get on the 150 list. The road projects are located at Rice Ave. in Oxnard and between Las Posas and Central in Camarillo. Huge overpass and freeway expansions...This blog doesn't allow phone numbers, but you can look up the union's info for Ventura County. My husband is a journeyman level drywall and metal stud framer...nothing in 7 months, but he's over the depression and now just trying every one of his old contacts on a regular basis...I sell real estate and have been picking up major slack! God Bless real estate...good luck to you.

Reply - Report abuse

jrj in Dallas, Texas

76 months ago

you guys need to stick in thier a little longer and write your congressman and tell him you want card check now. its up too us too change write your local politition right now tell him you want card check or you vote aganst him or her. and by the way you cry now but I know alot of you vote republican or not vote at all. I know who you are. your the guys ride the list but when it comes time to go to the meetings and to voulunteer at the hall or go to more training, you allways cry or never show up. you like the wages and the job but dont want to help keep it. you think you can get by on your carpentry skills. Get active in your local. go in thier monday and ask what you can do for the union.

Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

On the contrary, I voted for Obama, and I set my husband's iPhone alarm so he doesn't miss a monthly meeting... and what is "card check?"
Please explain

ALL OF YOU CALIFORNIA CARPENTERS...DON'T VOTE FOR Meg Whitman, ex-CEO of eBay (Republican for California governor) BECAUSE SHE WANTS TO BUST THE UNIONS! UNFORTUNATELY, I'M A NATIVE CALIFORNIAN AND I REMEMBER WHEN JERRY BROWN WAS GOVERNOR WHEN I WAS A CHILD. HE'S OUR CURRENT DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATE, BUT I'D RATHER MY HUSBAND HAVE THE UNION THAN ANOTHER REPUBLICAN GOVERNOR HERE.

Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

jrj in Dallas, Texas said: you guys need to stick in thier a little longer and write your congressman and tell him you want card check now. its up too us too change write your local politition right now tell him you want card check or you vote aganst him or her. and by the way you cry now but I know alot of you vote republican or not vote at all. I know who you are. your the guys ride the list but when it comes time to go to the meetings and to voulunteer at the hall or go to more training, you allways cry or never show up. you like the wages and the job but dont want to help keep it. you think you can get by on your carpentry skills. Get active in your local. go in thier monday and ask what you can do for the union.

On the contrary, I voted for Obama, and I set my husband's iPhone alarm so he doesn't miss a monthly meeting... and what is "card check?"
Please explain

ALL OF YOU CALIFORNIA CARPENTERS...DON'T VOTE FOR Meg Whitman, ex-CEO of eBay (Republican for California governor) BECAUSE SHE WANTS TO BUST THE UNIONS! UNFORTUNATELY, I'M A NATIVE CALIFORNIAN AND I REMEMBER WHEN JERRY BROWN WAS GOVERNOR WHEN I WAS A CHILD. HE'S OUR CURRENT DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATE, BUT I'D RATHER MY HUSBAND HAVE THE UNION THAN ANOTHER REPUBLICAN GOVERNOR HERE.

Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

You are completly wrong about your comment it does not matter who supposedly created the union we all support it and contribute to it just as well, you did not complain when we contributed but now it has become a racist issue to you. I am of Mexican heritage and damn proud of it and i don`t complain when a competent person is working and i don`t look at there race, i am also out of work and only hope to use my knowledge to find a job not criticism.

Reply - Report abuse

Joey71 in Waterford, Michigan

76 months ago

I completely agree with the Latino workers, huge problem because most of them are undocumented and illegal, however many are residents that came here legally and are residents!! This should not be a race issue, it needs to be taken care of through imprisonment to the contractors abusing it!! For that matter ANY EMPLOYER I don't care if they are Latino, Bosnian, Romanian or German -- if they are illegal DEPORT THEM NOW, every illegal works substandard and all that does us take away from the standards that our fathers have FOUGHT FOR!!! Just my 02

Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

I completly agree with this matter lets start by having the contractors verify documentation and also verify the people that are already working and i guarantee you there will be room for us who were born here or lagalized in this country, but it`s not all the fault of the workers but the contractor who is hiring them to put more money from profits in his pocket by knowingly hiring undocumented workers.

Reply - Report abuse

machineguns in Watertown, New York

75 months ago

I have been non union for over 20 years, I am new to the union. This is exactly how it is done non union.......cheap labor makes for more competitive bids and ultimately more monies in pocket either and/or 1099 or subcontract the work out to someone who uses very low labor rates.......illegals are damn good workers bottom line I can attest that you can depend on them sadly more often than their born here legally counterparts. Skill wise........plus or minus, I'd rather have someone that shows up and works hard. This is what is moving everywhere in this industry. Get used to it, its about the money brothers, not about you! Unfortunately there just isn't enough work for everyone, this has been going on for years, you're just starting to feel it now that the economy has pushed the icing off the cake everywhere!

Reply - Report abuse

howard1963 in San Diego, California

75 months ago

I must have not made myself very clear. When I spok of a Mexican silent take over on Union work. Thats just it. It's all Mexican blood running the dam Union hall in San Diego, and they're keeping it Mexican only hiring Mexicans and their Mexican relatives. A white American, born in California can't get a job now because of that.

Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

If that's true then why can't my Mexican-born American citizen husband get a job? Up here, there's a white revolution...go try KHS&S where they have their skin-head company guys working. What ever happened to the best worker getting the job? That's called a "meritocracy"...Too much nepotism and cronieism going on right now! Somewhere on this blog someone mentioned the Vegas boom of the past and the Mexican foremen hiring illegals and bribing them for $100/week of their paycheck to stay working...I suspect that may be a part of the game to stay working right now! Gee, would I give up $100 of my husband's $1200/week paycheck to get off of $475/week unemployment? You don't need to be a math genius to figure that one out. My husband has a friend who's been continuously working for 3 years...I was always amazed until he got laid off and my husband admitted that this friend was giving weed to the foreman and when that foreman got fired, his friend mysteriously got laid off!!! Go figure!
And yes, we need enforcement, on-site of the legal status, union status as well as cert's of the employed guys...PLEASE! My husband is up-to-date on everything and paid up on his dues...unless he gets work in the next 45 days, we'll lose our health insurance...bummer!
Come on Union...get these guys on the list a job!!!

Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Now the mexicans running the game in California isn't a whole lot different than whats going on everywhere.......friends keeping friends employed. I've said it before........make it mandatory to take a layoff if there is a certain percentage of unemployed to give people a chance at work. Picking folks out of the middle of the out of work list or bumping folks.....stand in line take your turn. I still don't understand this union thing yet. There is a "clic" going on in too many places. I suppose its just life...........

Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Now the mexicans running the game in California isn't a whole lot different than whats going on everywhere.......friends keeping friends employed. I've said it before........make it mandatory to take a layoff if there is a certain percentage of unemployed to give people a chance at work. Picking folks out of the middle of the out of work list or bumping folks.....stand in line take your turn. I still don't understand this union thing yet. There is a "clic" going on in too many places. I suppose its just life...........

Reply - Report abuse

Crowbar53 in Lansing, Michigan

75 months ago

Deidre Reyes in Oxnard, California said: If that's true then why can't my Mexican-born American citizen husband get a job? Up here, there's a white revolution...go try KHS&S where they have their skin-head company guys working. What ever happened to the best worker getting the job? That's called a "meritocracy"...Too much nepotism and cronieism going on right now! Somewhere on this blog someone mentioned the Vegas boom of the past and the Mexican foremen hiring illegals and bribing them for $100/week of their paycheck to stay working...I suspect that may be a part of the game to stay working right now! Gee, would I give up $100 of my husband's $1200/week paycheck to get off of $475/week unemployment? You don't need to be a math genius to figure that one out. My husband has a friend who's been continuously working for 3 years...I was always amazed until he got laid off and my husband admitted that this friend was giving weed to the foreman and when that foreman got fired, his friend mysteriously got laid off!!! Go figure!
And yes, we need enforcement, on-site of the legal status, union status as well as cert's of the employed guys...PLEASE! My husband is up-to-date on everything and paid up on his dues...unless he gets work in the next 45 days, we'll lose our health insurance...bummer!
Come on Union...get these guys on the list a job!!!

I posted that comment about the illegals in Las Vegas 6 months ago. Some peoople still got their Blinders on if they think this don't happen. Intill the government gets its act togeher about "card check" on the illegals stealing your jobs,or anyone who works for cash, us guys who play by the rules are still swingin in the wind.
Too bad about your insurance. Mine and lots of guys, run out over a year ago!!!

Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Crowbar53 in Lansing, Michigan said: I posted that comment about the illegals in Las Vegas 6 months ago. Some peoople still got their Blinders on if they think this don't happen. Intill the government gets its act togeher about "card check" on the illegals stealing your jobs,or anyone who works for cash, us guys who play by the rules are still swingin in the wind.
Too bad about your insurance. Mine and lots of guys, run out over a year ago!!!

Thanks for reminding me...I appreciated your comment because it de-mystifies the whole "how could this be happening" question. Hey, did you know there's a tax credit for employers to hire workers who've been unemployed for over 60 days? Bring to your next contractor-I'm-out-of-work-and-do-you-have-anything-right-now visit a form W-11 from irs.gov. I don't know how much money it is, and I'd venture to say that alot of employers are in the dark about it too, but I recently went to an interview and they had me fill one out. When they found out I was unemployed for more than 60 days, they wrote "ok" at the top of the page. Anything to give you a leg up, I'm sure...who knows?
Good Luck and don't give up! I even fax his resume to 16 of the biggest contractors and he calls the union out-of-work line, regularly.

(I'm hoping my husband will reward my efforts with the completion of some 10+ half-finished home projects he's been sitting on for oh, say 6 YEARS! :)

Reply - Report abuse

grumpzilla in Jesup, Georgia

75 months ago

I would like to say the carpenters union is no union. The workers are scared of ba's and dougy pooh and his cronies. when you get balls and stand up then you will a union

Reply - Report abuse

grumpzilla in Jesup, Georgia

75 months ago

I would like to say the carpenters union is no union. The workers are scared of ba's and dougy pooh and his cronies. when you get balls and stand up then you will be a union

Reply - Report abuse

kathy in Markham, Illinois

75 months ago

Joey71 in Waterford, Michigan said: I completely agree with the Latino workers, huge problem because most of them are undocumented and illegal, however many are residents that came here legally and are residents!! This should not be a race issue, it needs to be taken care of through imprisonment to the contractors abusing it!! For that matter ANY EMPLOYER I don't care if they are Latino, Bosnian, Romanian or German -- if they are illegal DEPORT THEM NOW, every illegal works substandard and all that does us take away from the standards that our fathers have FOUGHT FOR!!! Just my 02

Agree with you, but unfortunately, the unions ACCEPTED illegal aliens to pump up their rolls, WITHOUT the vote of the rank & file! In my mind (and a LOT of others as well), it is irregardless of whether you are in the STATE and working, if you are in the COUNTY illegally, get your a$$ back home! You do not belong. and you NEVER should have gotten a union card just cuz you coughed up the entry price. Mr. Sanchez didn't seem to understand that this did, in fact happen. And yes, WE DID complain -- repeatedly.
As to every nationality who is illegal here-- deport each and every one. End birthright citizenship too (only US & Canada has this archaic system). Use E-verify on EVERY job, not just govt ones. Kill the Dream Act, etc. etc...

Reply - Report abuse

Crowbar53they in Lansing, Michigan

75 months ago

Kathy from Illinois... E - Verify won't work intil they figure out a better system. It's sad but true cus' the illegals have figured out how to get the card forged only costs $300.00...sometimes they'll even throw in a fake S.S. card for a $100.00 more.

Employers don't check unless its on a gov'm job where they are forced too. Would rather chance it and not get caught,or if they do, just pay the fine. But ya' the union supports it too cause it boosts the members #'s.... more money for them. Love the Union but
they don't care about you.

Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Its a union, only by the literal usage of the word. By definition, it is not. There are too many things that are in desperate need of review for a true union to be here for the working folk. The union is a money generator for someone else other than the union's brotherhood of employees. It not about union, its about money......the fact of the matter is that this union everyone talks about is nothing more than a money grabbing machine and the more we make the more the money to be grabbed. There is no concern for the workers...its all propaganda. Just like the casinos its a business from days back that is still in business. Do you think that they care about you more than the money they are generating/laundering. MADOFF is a big time washing machine.

Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

chriscannon17r@yahoo.com in Riverside, California said: Im with you. Ive been in the union for 20 years also. I moved down to Riverside from Bakersfeild to get married and start a great life. well ive been out of work for 2 years. i dont know anyone down here for any contacts i have gone to every job site around I keep being told the same thing. SORRY MAN were only running or small crew.... Its B.S because they would rather take 2 years for a bridge (LaSerra on 91 fwy) than hirer anyone. If anyone know of any jobs PLEASE let me know...Im a carpenter I do Fwy,bridges, water treatment plants. Anything. THANKS

Hey Chris, I've got the names of the contractors for heavy highway and bridges work if you're willing to come up to Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties. I don't know if they are hiring, but here you go. The projects are:
Rice Road on/off ramp--Security Paving Co, Inc
Lewis Road widening/bridge--Security Paving Co, Inc
101 Milpas/Hot Springs Improvement--Security Paving Co, Inc
Mission Creek Bridge--Lash Construction, Inc
Good Luck to you
Our union contact is "ALAN" for this work

Reply - Report abuse

mildiamantes in Sherman, Texas

75 months ago

Truth is guys it hurt to say this but we as union carpenters have been the bigest scabs;working for cash, avoiding taxes, just becouse we know how to run a skill saw, now we are paying the consecuenses; its time to become real union; and work together. am a journeyman carpenter myself; and have been laid off since january 2009. I build bridges, scaffold, pile drive, forms of any kind, deks, walls,and calums. thanks for any leeds. email me at meza25@yahoo .com

Reply - Report abuse

lookinginill in Downers Grove, Illinois

75 months ago

union what union .

Reply - Report abuse

Joey71 in Detroit, Michigan

75 months ago

Here we go again-- if u don't like it change your situation- stop whining- or be a scab and let me know how that 10 an hr treats ya

Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Joey71 in Detroit, Michigan said: Here we go again-- if u don't like it change your situation- stop whining- or be a scab and let me know how that 10 an hr treats ya

I think that not working does more harm mentally, than holding on hoping. Frustration is getting hold of a lot of folks. Even working for 10 is better than sitting on your butts draining the states money to prove a point of remaining union. All these tried and true union die hards have lived the good life too long to appreciate a job. If you're union or not..... a carpenter is a carpenter and a brother in my book, we're just fortunate to be working these days plain and simple union or not. Not everyone has the option to change their situations when you have family to care for or other circumstances. I've been no union for over 22 years and I can say thus far in the union for 3 years, that quality of work is absolutely less here on average and professionalism is nill from what I've witnessed thus far. There are more drug users around here than in the non union world I learned in...I feel like I'm back in the 80's again. I stay because of circumstances beyond my control/divorce from a cheating wife & custody battle so changing circumstances is not always an option for everyone as the last guy that posted may have extenuating circumstances as well. I personally preferred the non union where people told the truth and didn't stab you in the back as often. When I have the opportunity and if the economy picks up I will strongly consider going back to non union down south, right now.....I'm stuck in union land and I really don't care for the way its run at all. The union and the men in leadership are far from leaders or they would lead and take this where the union should be by getting rid of the druggies and alcoholics. If the union folks complain, so be it...they pay their dues, maybe someone will hear their words and one day consider a change to make it a better place to work

Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Already heard it-- I have a family-40 hrs old, lost my house- couldn't find work -- make changes, the rest is just excuses!!! 16 yrs went through apprenticeship-- nobody owes me anything NOT EVEN THE UNION!!!! IAM THE UNION- THAT IS WHAT EVERYONE HAS FORGOTTEN!! think about it- who's problem is it that you can't pay your bills? Is it the union, contractor or societies?? Cmon enough change it and make the union stronger!! Iam working because I banged on every door -- close it and I will see you again tomorrow morning!! How hungry are ya???

Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

I suppose you're superman and the best that's why you have a job. Not everyone has their jobs because they pound doors like yourself. There are many that pound doors that remain shut to the buddy system. Been there done that, not that hungry right now, I'm working again. It ain't about pounding doors. There are jobs, non union jobs abound up here, so if are hungry, you can work. You are not the union, you are all about yourself or you'd have some compassion for your brothers that are out of work and genuinely can't find anything. You are what is wrong with the union.

Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

No I do have compassion--just because I don't buy your woe is me story or sing ya a country song Iam not compassionate or don't understand- I went through this same song and dance with ya months ago machine-guns!!! All I can say is best of luck to ya and all of my brothers!!

Reply - Report abuse

kathy in Streamwood, Illinois

75 months ago

Crowbar53they in Lansing, Michigan said: Kathy from Illinois... E - Verify won't work intil they figure out a better system. It's sad but true cus' the illegals have figured out how to get the card forged only costs $300.00...sometimes they'll even throw in a fake S.S. card for a $100.00 more.

Employers don't check unless its on a gov'm job where they are forced too. Would rather chance it and not get caught,or if they do, just pay the fine. But ya' the union supports it too cause it boosts the members #'s.... more money for them. Love the Union but
they don't care about you.

Hold up there! E-verify is not perfect, but it is, in fact, a start. And, it can be modified. And e-verify is meant to be just one tool. Example, Joe/Jose Applicant produces the card, but he must provide other identification as well. BTW, it is the social number that is run. So, make him produce a whole bunch of ID, just as we have to do when you apply to numerous other things. Even if a few get thru, it will cut down on it. Plus, when you whack the employers hard, then you will find out how carefully they will scrutinize their prospective employees. Look up your state's senators/congressman's record on this issue at the NumbersUSA.com website. You can do it for each one; they get a "report card". Illinois has a few of the worst, including Senator Dick Durbin.

Reply - Report abuse

Jmack in San Diego, California

75 months ago

I'm a high-end finish carpenter, I've been hanging doors and building custom closets for over 11 years. 2011 is definitely the worst year in my entire life. I am 40 years old, and I've been working literally since I was 9 years old, I've always managed to find work. But this time seems like a depression to me, not a recession. I've been through recessions in the past and always found work, but this time its different. Every where I submit a resume, an application, or a phone call about work, it's always the same, that opening has already been slammed with 200 to 400 inquiries, resumes, or applications. I can't compete with the local Mexicans here where they are so hungry for work they are giving even their journeyman level skills for $13 an hour. I've been in construction for over 17 years, just a few years ago I was pulling in $32 an hour or more. Today, I am lucky to get $19 an hour. In fact currently, today, I am doing landscaping work at the condominium complex I live in at $13 an hour. I've got skill, experience, and talent up the wazoo and I can't find anything. I really feel hopeless.

Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Welcome to the club i was making $45.50 as a carpenter foreman but now $0.00 at home but i`m not complaining , things will get better you`ll see.

Reply - Report abuse

brian in Chicago, Illinois

75 months ago

bnlking in Woodridge, Illinois said: is there any work in il

If your looking for work, I have a vinyl siding job I need done, there may also be soffit/facia work (in the near future). I live in the south west suburbs of Chicago (Willow Springs). You can email me at brmilich@hotmail.com

Reply - Report abuse

somebody in Greenwood, Indiana

74 months ago

Jmack in San Diego, California said: I'm a high-end finish carpenter, I've been hanging doors and building custom closets for over 11 years. 2011 is definitely the worst year in my entire life. I am 40 years old, and I've been working literally since I was 9 years old, I've always managed to find work. But this time seems like a depression to me, not a recession. I've been through recessions in the past and always found work, but this time its different. Every where I submit a resume, an application, or a phone call about work, it's always the same, that opening has already been slammed with 200 to 400 inquiries, resumes, or applications. I can't compete with the local Mexicans here where they are so hungry for work they are giving even their journeyman level skills for $13 an hour. I've been in construction for over 17 years, just a few years ago I was pulling in $32 an hour or more. Today, I am lucky to get $19 an hour. In fact currently, today, I am doing landscaping work at the condominium complex I live in at $13 an hour. I've got skill, experience, and talent up the wazoo and I can't find anything. I really feel hopeless.

its 2010 bro

Reply - Report abuse

Phil in Rocky Mount, North Carolina

74 months ago

richard in Winter Springs, Florida said: im in the same boat ppl i even lost my house an im living on the street with my kids an wife its hard. an it sucks .we sleep in the car in parking lots . i got alot of apps. out everywhere an nobody is even emailing me back for any of them. an im a form carpenter with 25yrs exper. in the field. keep looking if you find anything let us all know where.

Are you still looking? Email me at philngroovy@comcast.net

Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

My husband finally worked his first day in 8 months on Friday. It took his Apprentice buddy whom he helped in the past to get him in. It seems that the contractors are just hiring the lower paid union members to do the Journeymen work and therefore saving $$. They'll send them to training or do whatever to save a few bucks even if it means longer completion times. In this case, my husband has gone to this jobsite over a dozen times and the foreman kept ignoring him and blowing him off. This Apprentice friend knew the forman who asked him,"do you know a Journeyman you can bring with you?" Its lots of drywall work so hopefully he'll be there for awhile and only a 45 minute drive from our home, too. We'll see how long this lasts. We would have lost our benefits as of October 31st without 60 hours into the system, so amen!

Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

This is my fear, with all the states in a panic over budgets and unemployment draining them of resources......there is only one thing to do, cut funds & projects and we all know what that means. All this work that is out there right now is from the earlier time and I fear that its going to become a crash for us in the construction industry. Prisons,schools and anything state related to expansion. What are your thoughts long term???????

Reply - Report abuse

kathy in Roselle, Illinois

74 months ago

Deidre Reyes in Oxnard, California said: My husband finally worked his first day in 8 months on Friday. It took his Apprentice buddy whom he helped in the past to get him in. It seems that the contractors are just hiring the lower paid union members to do the Journeymen work and therefore saving $$. They'll send them to training or do whatever to save a few bucks even if it means longer completion times. In this case, my husband has gone to this jobsite over a dozen times and the foreman kept ignoring him and blowing him off. This Apprentice friend knew the forman who asked him,"do you know a Journeyman you can bring with you?" Its lots of drywall work so hopefully he'll be there for awhile and only a 45 minute drive from our home, too. We'll see how long this lasts. We would have lost our benefits as of October 31st without 60 hours into the system, so amen!

Well, Deirdre, I had reported this a long time ago when I first started posting. In IL they were keeping the apprentices working longer than the journeymen cuz they worked cheaper. But even that petered out.
As to Machinegun's comments, construction has BEEN tanked since 2007. I keep pestering the pols to re-open, re-hab those factories & actually manufacture something again. Instead, Obama gives me short-term road projects to take me from my abandoned housing development to empty stripmalls. Peachy. Bottom line is they have abandoned the construction industry, especially residential. Machinegun wants to know of long-term thoughts? Get out while you can, retire in another country when you can.

Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

retire when I can? Thats funny, I haven't finished with my divorce and my child support in NY will keep that from happening..LOL. I am only 3 years into this union with most of my life being NON. Its not just the union that is under water...I keep in touch with my old boss back in VA. Beach and its no good there either. To risky to move in such a time of poor economics. I am working right now up in Canton,NY. on a college that will probably run through the spring easy. Its 4 floors of block, concrete plank,metal studs and drywall dorms....easy money. on the 3rd floor with block and plank still another floor and then trusses and roof system. Work up here is not as I ever knew...its hit and miss on union and not......its the area and the lack of population density that is why work is so spread out as to what I am accustomed to. Back south my old boss is living month to month on work, people are bidding south of him and coming from everywhere to get work...he is hurting to and uncertain for the first time in his life. We all are in the bucket union and not. I may go back to non union, but for now, I have to stay and hold on and hope I make it through this divorce and the rough ride I jumped on. I see too many without compassion for the other guy pointing fingers. Its not so easy for some and I know its easier to point a finger than to try to understand. I hope everyone can find a comfort zone soon!

Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

retire when I can? Thats funny, I haven't finished with my divorce and my child support in NY will keep that from happening..LOL. I am only 3 years into this union with most of my life being NON. Its not just the union that is under water...I keep in touch with my old boss back in VA. Beach and its no good there either. To risky to move in such a time of poor economics. I am working right now up in Canton,NY. on a college that will probably run through the spring easy. Its 4 floors of block, concrete plank,metal studs and drywall dorms....easy money. on the 3rd floor with block and plank still another floor and then trusses and roof system. Work up here is not as I ever knew...its hit and miss on union and not......its the area and the lack of population density that is why work is so spread out as to what I am accustomed to. Back south my old boss is living month to month on work, people are bidding south of him and coming from everywhere to get work...he is hurting to and uncertain for the first time in his life. We all are in the bucket union and not. I may go back to non union, but for now, I have to stay and hold on and hope I make it through this divorce and the rough ride I jumped on. I see too many without compassion for the other guy pointing fingers. Its not so easy for some and I know its easier to point a finger than to try to understand. I hope everyone can find a comfort zone soon!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

kathy in Roselle, Illinois

74 months ago

Sorry for your troubles. You are not alone. As I said before, the most personal bankruptcies filed in this country are done by the tradesfolk who were formerly of residential or commercial const. Union is definitely suffering more; non-union working cheaply & is therefore picking up some work. Isn't it curious that the same guys who worked union all their lives, started their own companies, now want to hire non-union at ridiculous wages & no bennies, all the while THEY have lived at a higher standard & will also retire at a higher standard thanks to that union? In other words "fine for me, but not for you!"
As to retiring, no doubt my age group will have to work til they literally drop. But we have decided we are willing to leave this country & at least find a place that doesn't $h*t all over us just because we are white middle class. Well, at least we were middle class.........

Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.