Union Journeyman Carpenter Looking for Work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (351 to 400 of 605)
Page:  « First « Previous   5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next »   Last »

Tired in Gardner, Kansas

46 months ago

To much wasted energy with thes conversations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Devils Advocate in Mount Holly, New Jersey

46 months ago

I'm a construction manager and have been working in both Union and open shop enviroments for over 25 years, and yes I too was laid off (from a Union shop) 2 years ago and landed in an open shop situation.

Here's the facts EVERYONE has the right to work and if an "open shop" worker decides to hang trim for $15.00 per hour its his right. I dont seem to find too many hard facts in these postings......6 1/2 hour union workdays..ya know with "break". "lunch" and the oh-so loved time waster "15 minute clean up"... I've been on job sites where you dont need a watch because the jobsite gates are blown off the hinges at 3:15.

I've seen cabinets left 1/2 hanging off the wall because at quitting time the "union brother" put down the screw gun, in lieu of taking another 5 minutes to comlete the task

I truley beleive the unions are getting what they deserve and as 1 poster put it the "brotherhood" is ALL about keeping cronies, organizers and friends working, not the common everyday union carpenter who isnt connected to the business agents.

Good luck to all, like I said everyone has a right to work, but the unions just need to look at themselves against the private sector and realize we all do "a littel more" to keep our employment sitaution stable...not run out the door because we can't give an additional 15 minutes of our time without additional compensation, or filing a grievance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

josesanchezcarpenter2010@hotmail.com in Roselle, Illinois

46 months ago

This is the first comment i have seen that is down to earth and true to the last fact. God bless you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

machineguns in Watertown, New York

46 months ago

Devils Advocate ...........

In all fairness to this union to non union thing.......I've been non union for a little over 20 years prior to moving north and joining the union, so I can feel comfortable saying that work ethic is relative to the person doing the work. I worked with a retired union man until he passed and the thing that did frustrate me most was his halt of work at the "blowing of the whistle/lunch time" instead of as you say, finishing what you're working on......wow that would piss me off when you need a hand and bam.......he's gone. Now on the same note, my co-workers had poor work ethic, so whats the difference really. Now that I'm in the north and union, its not all about leaving at 3:15, our field supervisor has everyone so afraid they piss on their own time, I don't play fool for such morale busting BS, I talked to him man to man and eye to eye, but the consensus amongst workers is not to challenge the "boss". I call that being whooped in my book, and no we don't leave at 3:15 either, he'll dock your time and the same for being but 2 minutes late.......I've worked with 3 companies so far up here in the past 3 years and no, the union holds no superiority in terms of work ethic, its an individual trait and not many have it. Non union workers from the south do typically better work that what I have been witnessed, but that too is only based on the 2 companies and people I have worked around. People are the same no matter where you go, some are more spoiled and some leave sooner, union or not......it's all the same, poor work ethic is the american way these days.....I do agree. One of the problems is paying people the same money, no incentive to outperform their brothers.....that is the union's weakness big time! I personally don't work as hard as I did in the south, but do put forth a more than average effort, but then again, thats my .02

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sandlparker in Missoula, Montana

46 months ago

Machineguns and Devils Advocate....you are dead on. I am 10 years union 17 years non. I have witnessed exactly what you are talking about and it pisses me off when someone comes in at the bell, lunch on the bell, and then I see their truck pulling away at 3:30 sharp. As a project foreman, I had the ability to deal with those situations, but sometimes had to assess situations regarding personnel and what I might get as a replacement in return. I am now laid off from the union here in Montana, something that I did not see coming. I was laid off in June (One of the last ones working union in this area), and have since been operating equipment for one of my old subs since August. I was fortunate to work with some quality union brothers for the last 10 years and know that no matter where this economy turns, they will be in good company and generate their own way. What I have noticed, is that the guys with the good work ethic always stayed steady, and the others were hit and miss when needed. You would think that they would figure it out, but what can I say?? I am proud to say I am union, only because I believe here in Montana that we were the best of the best, but am also proud of my roots getting there. If you can start a job from the foundation, frame it, weld it, pour it, rig it, hang it, and finish it.....you might be a Montana Union Carpenter! Thanks to all my non union employers that helped teach me all that in the first 17 years. Everyone reading this thread....take care and heads up as it will get better soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Deidre Reyes in Oxnard, California

46 months ago

As a manager, business owner, former trainer of subordinates and a union wife I like what you're all saying (my.02, too), however, there's one aspect that's missing here; workers of any trade who "get it" and exceed expectations are those who see "the big picture" and have a stake in the results whether through incentives (not just a paycheck, gentlemen because that's what everyone gets, good, bad or indifferent to work ethic), but real incentives...where does that come from? Well, some of you have stated that you ARE or have been foremen or super's...yes, it comes from leaders' skills in motivation, not in being a total b*st*rd to ones' subordinates! Some of these foremen (present company excluded) can be real a*ses whose favoritism can be "purchased" through drugs,money or whatever their currency is...sometimes its attending their church...whatever. I guess I'm slightly "PollyAnna" in expecting that those who are deemed as the leaders truly lead their teams to victory through positive motivation and incentivizing the profitability of those who sign the paychecks....what a concept! Meritocracy is fictional, where those who do well actually succeed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Unfortunately, leadership isn't always performed by a true leader... that is quite to the contrary, not always do they succeed......but for the moment. Success isn't always immediate, but long term. I will succeed, but not now, not here. However, that is no reason to dismiss who you are! Work hard, we will prevail!

Bryan in Birch Run, Michigan

45 months ago

i have been in home remodeling to comerical construction for 16 years its been tough to earn a living the past three years,working as a home improvement carpenter is what i love anyone know of any work out please let me know good luck to everyone in these tough times

gfel009@yahoo.com in Huntington Beach, California

45 months ago

Greg Christianson in Oak Hills, California said: I have been a union member over 20 years!I have been looking for work for the past month! 10 months ago I got laid off my job I worked for them over 12 years! Then nine months later got a job for a month and got laid off from there! I have not been able to find any work out here, It seems all the jobs I go to say they have there own crews. They have over 3,000 people on the out of work list!!!!!!! Does anyone know where the work is in California or anywhere else?

YEAH, THEY ARE IN THE NON UNION PORTION OF THE INDUSTRY. 23% OF CALI CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY IN UNION......77% IS NOT. hmmmm. maybe non union has all the jobs.

45 months ago

You hit the nail on the head........what is morally right? Holding out for a union that can't provide the work for 3000 unemployed and run the state deeper into debt or realize that union work has expired.....at least for the time being so much so that some of us will be forced to work for what the average american in construction does. Not a good pro union thought, but maybe what is necessary to provide for your family and maybe have a place to live in. Saving your home and your family grief by working non union is the right thing to do sometimes the way I see it. Tell your child there is no Christmas because of your Union pride...........I'd say your brainwashed and most of Americans will not have a positive look on that either. It is what it is, time to move on after a point. Enjoy what you have, but don't let your hard work get stolen by your pride either..got to know when to fold em!

45 months ago

Do you realize that the public unions like the firefighters and teachers are lobbying at the state legislature to take redevelopment dollars (money slated for schools, hospitals, roads and municipal construction jobs) from the budget to fund their pensions and raises?!
Yes its true...public unions are putting the private unions out of work! When you vote for a pro-union politician, they may NOT be voting YOUR interests! Look out for the wolves in sheeps' clothing...greedy SOB's

don blevins in Tacoma, Washington

45 months ago

I have been a union carpenter for the past 20 years and laid off for the past 2 years iv lost everything and living on cc now, at a freinds house. mmmmmmmmmmmm gess next step is standing on freeway with a cardboard sign that seys: will legestate for work.

bilnow in Amarillo, Texas

45 months ago

Deidre Reyes in Oxnard, California said: Do you realize that the public unions like the firefighters and teachers are lobbying at the state legislature to take redevelopment dollars (money slated for schools, hospitals, roads and municipal construction jobs) from the budget to fund their pensions and raises?!
Yes its true...public unions are putting the private unions out of work! When you vote for a pro-union politician, they may NOT be voting YOUR interests! Look out for the wolves in sheeps' clothing...greedy SOB's

I am union and was working 12 7s until this President was elected,and haven't worked since

45 months ago

Yes, I agree that this issue is totally political and we are suffering. However, to blame the President just because he's a pro-union democrat is a stretch...PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR STATE AND LOCAL POLITICIANS THAT ARE CLAIMING TO BE YOUR ALLY AND GET YOURSELVES TO HELP THE CONTRACTORS GET MORE MUNICIPAL UNION WORK! In all fairness,the President did put stimulus dollars into roads and bridges, what he likes to call "infrastructure", but that doesn't do us Carpenters a darn bit of good if we are interior systems and metal stud framers! Lean on the desks of the folks who want your votes and if they are pro-collective bargainers---THEY ARE NOT FRIENDS TO BUSINESS BUT FRIENDS TO THE PUBLIC UNIONS WHO STEAL OUR TAX DOLLARS, GIVE THEM TO TEACHERS, FIREFIGHTERS AND NURSES FOR VOTES!!!
I wish we had a guaranteed job and a guaranteed lifetime pension paid for by taxpayers and protected by the governor, state senator and state legislature!!! Show up to your local city council meetings...WE NEED JOBS NOT GOVERNMENT HANDOUTS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

steweyman1539@yahoo.com in Lake Zurich, Illinois

45 months ago

I am very new to this forum. In fact this is my first post. From page 1 to page 8 I read through many of the posts here. I was present to alot of pain and struggle in many of the posts. It made me sad to hear of all the carpenters like myself who seem almost hopeless in finding any work. It's hard for me to even write this post right now. Damn!

(composure regained) We have to remember to never give up! Never! For the earlier comments regarding, "...there is no Brother in Brotherhood." I beg to differ! The Brotherhood is right here!

mikethefloorguy in Elkhart, Indiana

45 months ago

THE BROTHERHOOD IS RIGHT HERE?? REALLY?? I guess we are all brothers in unemployment. Hey,we can even carpool to the food bank.Anyone volunteer to drive?
This flooring installer (union for the last 10 years,self employed for 15 years before that)has been unemployed from the carpenters union for the last 13 months and been doing o.k. on my own lately.Not great,just o.k.
I go back to a earlier post about work ethic.Those that want to work,will.It may be less money, it may be less than desireable work,but it keeps food on the table and the wolf away from the door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

steweyman1539@yahoo.com in Lake Zurich, Illinois

45 months ago

mikethefloorguy in Elkhart, Indiana said: THE BROTHERHOOD IS RIGHT HERE?? REALLY?? I guess we are all brothers in unemployment. Hey,we can even carpool to the food bank.Anyone volunteer to drive?
This flooring installer (union for the last 10 years,self employed for 15 years before that)has been unemployed from the carpenters union for the last 13 months and been doing o.k. on my own lately.Not great,just o.k.
I go back to a earlier post about work ethic.Those that want to work,will.It may be less money, it may be less than desireable work,but it keeps food on the table and the wolf away from the door.

So my question is are you still unemployed? Like in still collecting an unemployment check?

45 months ago

So my question is are you still unemployed? Like in still collecting an unemployment check?..........

Don't answer that if you know what is good for you! People do get caught! I know of one that is paying now, you will lose your rights to unemployment altogether not to mention paying it all back!

Phil J Najera in Bakersfield, California

45 months ago

Hello, my name is Phil J. Najera, and I'm from Bakersfield, CA. My background Commercial Building Industry and Social Networking. I'm committed to help anybody make money in this recession by providing value to the marketplace.

45 months ago

Hello Phil, are you going to have us sell Mary Kay to subsidize our lack of work?

Phil J Najera in Bakersfield, California

45 months ago

machineguns in Watertown, New York said: Hello Phil, are you going to have us sell Mary Kay to subsidize our lack of work?

Where does it say Mary Kay... I don't see it!

breal372002 in Springfield, Missouri

45 months ago

Anyone know if Whiting-Turner is a Union GC?

Crowbar53 in Clinton Township, Michigan

45 months ago

yes they are but not on all jobs. most major contractors today are on both sides of the fence!!

dosxxey in Mexico, New York

44 months ago

jim english in Hatboro, Pennsylvania said: i am
union carpenter for 30 years and i have not worked in 5 months and i am looking for a job i have been a carpenter a carpenter foreman and a superintendent i am qualified in in all areas of construction I NEED A JOB PLEASE HELP

hi im from local 747 i worked 3 months last year not alot going on here either up coming is aloy of work in oswego ny at the colledge should be picking up mid may but who knowes. ny state unemployment is max 405 a week ive herd yours is alot more or state tax also is more each week evertbody tells me to go get work in pa so my unemployment is in 6 weeks im screwed anyhow im kevin at kevco11@yahoo.com;;;;;;;;take care brother

jackie in Avoca, Michigan

44 months ago

machineguns in Watertown, New York said: The union is in need of revision, rotate those that have worked 6 months on to being laid off and put those not working back to work....they'd have a different opinion about staying union only when they have to remain unemployed for the same! Hang in is easy to say when you're pulling a check every week! How about sit down and let someone else have a shot!

my thoughts exactly. my husband is a union bricklayer and has been off work for a couple years now. he is in his 50s and is not any foreman's nephew therefor he is out of work and like he says no one wants his "old ass". he is too young to retire. unemployment will end in a couple of weeks so he tried to work non-union, it is the first job that was even offered in two years. it wasn't a week later and here comes the union threatening to fine him three thousand dollars. now what, if he continues to work non-union the union said they will fine his pension. we are going to loose everything we have worked for all these years, for what?
my thoughts are like yours. let the ones that have been working trade with the ones not working for a few months to rebuild their lost benefits.
if something doesn't happen soon we will be picking out a comfortable box to set up on a warm beach somewhere to live in. this statement sounds funny but it may be true for us and many others.
living a few more weeks in Michigan. Jackie

dosxxey in Mexico, New York

44 months ago

Local 747 turned into the local 277 overnight whats up with that.The hall called me i was going back to work gena power plant then 5 days later they called oh sorry reduction of force you cant grow. Then 10 days goes by oh we need you again there same place, same month. i got a call on the friday befor the monday i was supposed to be there. the hall says oh we got an email 5 oh you guys arent needed. Isnt it funny i called to there local and they say they never sent any such e mail what the ef. i rented a camper that morning and called different places to look at on saturday ive been of 8 months. i found out that they took other guys because there wasnt any reduction of force on the last time they called;;;;;;i needed that money to pay back taxes on my house ;;;;;;;;;;pissed in syracuse ny

44 months ago

Go work at St. Joes, its booming down there. The notification of the change was mailed out to everyone within a week of its change. Update your mailing address or contact information that may be of help too.

don in Tacoma, Washington

44 months ago

tell the lazy bxxxds that you are tired of supporting them with no help. I stopped paying dues a few month ago Mosley because i cant afford it any more. but never had much help from my local any way they only hound me for monthly dues. mmmmmmmmmmmm. also been told that i should start my own biz at my age. no one seems to want my exp.

mgorecki in Chicago, Illinois

44 months ago

wy support and pay taxes to our enemy which is our goverment, president REGAN sad goverment is not solution, goverment is the problem, goverment and banks will destroy this country

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jmathis in Chicago, Illinois

43 months ago

i guess i should'nt complain, i lost my job of 16yrs. as a maintenance carpenter supervisor ( non union ).Pior to that i was a union carpenter. so the first thing i did when i lost my maintenance carpenter job was to get reinstated back into the carpenters union not knowing of the long unemployed list. so after 8mos. of waiting and praying for a union job to just show up i started asking alot of people if they knew of any jobs dealing with building maintenance and guess what i was lucky enough to get three bites in which i got a job as a building maintenance engineer. the job pays 24,000 less a year than the other job that i lost, but i know i can make it and now i can sleep better at night. i still pay my union dues hoping for things to get better. because deep inside me carpentry runs thru my veins...............

marionbickham in Chicago, Illinois

43 months ago

Peter Knoerr in Tinley Park, Illinois said: I am a union carpenter with over 20 years experience and been out of work for 2 1/2 years. Really need a job now as funds getting really low for mortgage payment and have 6 year old.

mr knoerr
do you do odd jobs and how much do you charge can you do a free estimate and i live on the south side of chicago near hyde park thank you 5-24-11

David in Wichita, Kansas

43 months ago

Gone Fishing in Forsyth, Georgia said: I have posted this before, but I will do it again. Fluor has some carpenter jobs posted for Afghanistan. It's good money and a 1 year contract, after that you can renew for another year or go home. Yea, living conditions aren't the greatest, but it's work. You are home every 91 days for 3 weeks.

Can you forward info to email dconst33@gmail.com on whom to contact concerning this job? Thanks

Gone Fishing in Forsyth, Georgia

43 months ago

David in Wichita, Kansas said: Can you forward info to email dconst33@gmail.com on whom to contact concerning this job? Thanks

Apply online at their websites.

Fluor.com & dyn-intl.com

gregzamora in Vallejo, California

43 months ago

i also work for mcclone.... well, i should say i worked for mcclone and unfortunately i can not find work . i also went through the apprenticeship program if you find any work let me know.

rick in Victorville, California

43 months ago

I am a union carpenter-nailer looking for work in socal area,last job was sketchers distribution center in moreno valley oct-jan 2010-11.

Tony Lorentz in Idaho Falls, Idaho

42 months ago

Things are dry in Idaho Falls also. I am being told to try Portland area. Don't know if it helps.

Big D in Lancaster, California

42 months ago

RonB in Randallstown, Maryland said: Union 101 Baltimore is working.. alot out of work. but alot of new jobs starting up in Jan!! Stack Inc. is Hiring for Carps. But they wont be taken on till the 1st of the year stores start up jan 3rd or 4th. 2010. and Whiting and Turner is starting up in Jan also they are breaking ground on atleast 5 different buildings 2-5 year jobs. Keep you're Heads up Brothers and look for anything that anyone hands out.. the way i see it you have to take care of you're family befor you're pride.. I am looking everywhere I got Black Balled for Turning in a Drunk/Drug addicted Carp. that almost killed me in the truck and i have 2 young ones so i had to do what i had to do Brothers.he was Tied in with a High up Member in the Company. so they blacked balled me From Unemployment.. but i am doing everything i can to keep my kids with full belly's and warm things to wear... the Wife left because of these hard times so it's just a Single Father doing what he has to do for Carp. work..

GodBless Brothers

Hang in there Bro

Ruby in Columbus, Montana

42 months ago

To 'metalstud' in Chicago's comment: It doesn't sound crazy. In 1899, all workers went on strike. All across the country, organized without internet! They stood in solidarity with each other, we are dog-eat-dog now, that doesn't help us. If all workers: food service workers, sec'ys, retail workers, trades persons, delivery/couriers, went on strike, things would change in a hurry. In 1899, it was about five very wealthy families who built their wealth, initially legitimately, but then they got greedy. They found if they exploited women and children and began to take away from their workers, they could get more profit. That's how wealth is being built now, exploit and take away from. It can only go on as long as workers allow. When we don't care what happens to the guy next to us, this prevails.

My husband is a journeyman (40 years) finish carpenter. He has MS and isn't supposed to work, but can't quit. I admire his courage and his uncomplaining spirit. I am thrilled to death that his labor provides furs for his boss's wife, and a private plane, while my husband has to rely on VA benefits for medical care and can't take a day off sick or otherwise, no pay. Oh, but they do buy dinner for their employees once a year. It is our responsibility. When we realize, collectively and in support of each other, that we can change it. Then, it will change. Not until. Greed attracts greed.

don in Tacoma, Washington

42 months ago

bravo!!! thank you

42 months ago

It is absolutely not going to happen, break out your magic fairy wand and click your heels together.....NOT going to happen. The people working and making an undisturbed living are not going to risk anything.....just like everyone that walks by the Salvation Army guy ringing their bells......some yeah, most not. This economy and what people want are unsustainable as is most county budgets.

We lost a long time ago when NAFTA and all the big corporations took their labor searches outside of the USA to generate the greed you talk of, its a different world and not remotely like 1899 or whatever year you mentioned when Rockefeller and the others made the industry that created the unions.

Go on strike and everyone will ride by you just like they always have on a picket line, not a concern one......some temporary resolve, but nothing long lasting

Getting laid off is considered the vacation by the carpenters union here, but its tough to be in a mindset of vacation when you have 165 bucks after child support to feed yourself and pay bills.

So take to a strike and see how long everyone hangs in there when their houses are on the line and their family needs food. Like I said a while back, this is no UNION, its a who's your buddy and what's in it for me world we live in.

If my union gave a damn, my health insurance wouldn't be over 1000 dollars a month, they would try to address real issues, I get nothing but an occasional email telling welcome to the new union......NY&NJ merged, its better now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

breal372002 in Ozark, Missouri

42 months ago

"Going with the flow" is what has gotten us in all of the trouble we are in now. We're told to "hang in there" while owners continue to exploit lower paid workers to perform the work that the skilled Union carpenters would have done. I agree whole-heartedly with machineguns and I also realize that the union solidarity( in it's pure form) is lost and must be re-gained but not without a cost. In my opinion, we must start over from bare bones with the few that are willing to go without many of the luxuries in life such as a home, new autos and, boats or even ample food for that matter.

I went out on a limb in 1993 while working for the largest GC in Cincinnati, OH. they wouldn't honor the contract and wanted the choice of using non- union subs to perform finish work, drywall and other sub work. I worked steady for the company for 17 yrs but I refused to stay with the contractor, even though they assured me my pay would be more and my pension would be with the company. Needless to say.... I was out of work for 6 months at the time with 1 call to install fixtures for 2 weeks at a local Kohls dept store. The local never provided me with any more work, so I moved and have been looking for work pretty much ever since. I am not saying I haven't worked. Just saying I had to work real hard just to find work. I'll never complain about having to find work, but this is how loyal my own local was to me. This is an example of the direction we have been headed in as a union for quite some time now. I knew what the repercussions might be, but I went with what I knew was right for US. We really are the Union, not the reps or the pencil pushers in the locals. Just like the government has convinced most of us that they are separate from the people. WE ARE THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Let's ALL realize who we are and start back on the road to being proud to be the Union, not "in the Union".

Peace and goodwill to all of my brothers and sisters!
eedless to say

kman in Hastings, New York

42 months ago

Last september I was number 79 on the out of work list by november I was 19 on the list now it july Im still number 19 local277 havent even gone off the list the way they should for a long time now they move everything to horseheads NY completely out of sight what do they think out off mine

42 months ago

For starters, they don't always go by numerical order. They will pull people based on their skills list (of which I have witness too often a lack of proficiency...done something once or twice is not a skill). Often the employer will call and go thru the names and use former workers, so the numbers game only applies for contractors that aren't savvy to who is on the list and just asks for "X" number of guys and that's that. There isn't that much work going on that I am aware of.....Putrelo has Potsdamn and outside of that, I know of nothing union around the north of Syracuse way. I just finished up with H&J in Canton, there is nothing new coming up that I am aware of..

Best of luck

1st year apprentice in East Lansing, Michigan

41 months ago

no work in lansing mi.18 years as residental,hoping the union had somthing better, boy was i wrong,work a week get laid off 2 months,cant get my benifits,and strongly douting going through the apprentiship school,with not a solid contractor willing to hire me full time.everyones right you have no or blow someone and i dont care about either,if a brother talkes about you behind your back,well than i dont need another brother,ive got 4 of my own that do the same, only i dont have to pay them dues every month,over 1200$ a year,.

1st year apprentice in East Lansing, Michigan

41 months ago

no work in lansing mi.18 years as residental,hoping the union had somthing better, boy was i wrong,work a week get laid off 2 months,cant get my benifits,and strongly douting going through the apprentiship school,with not a solid contractor willing to hire me full time.everyones right you have no or blow someone and i dont care about either,if a brother talkes about you behind your back,well than i dont need another brother,ive got 4 of my own that do the same, only i dont have to pay them dues every month,over 1200$ a year,.

Navy seal in Los Angeles, California

41 months ago

I have been a union carpenter since I got out of SEALS I was working from Alaska to Los Angeles and there is nothing but if somebody knows anyone willing to hire a purple heart sailor I will bleed for you like I did my country ........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kathy in Palmdale, California

41 months ago

Navy seal in Los Angeles, California said: I have been a union carpenter since I got out of SEALS I was working from Alaska to Los Angeles and there is nothing but if somebody knows anyone willing to hire a purple heart sailor I will bleed for you like I did my country ........

I cannot say that I get a fuzzy feeling from your post. Honestly, I will tell you that I do not feel that you get a leg up on carpenters who worked their trade for decades just because you enlisted in the military. Frankly, I have had quite enough of that crap. Let's talk honestly: most entered the military cuz they could not get into college and there were no jobs. So, while carpenters/tradesmen here hung on by their bare teeth, lost their homes, got their cars re-po'd, became divorced, forfeited the kids' college, the military folk still got a paycheck & all the medical they wanted, plus housing. Granted, some were killed, some maimed. I well understand that, but it was a risk they assumed knowingly. Veteran status is a new form of discrimination unemployed tradespeople are experiencing. And, "bleeding" for a bloodsucking employer is quite melodramatic; almost pathetic. Any guy on this board will tell you they will give a fair day's work for a day's pay & be professional on the job. Bleeding for an employer? Oh, please............

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in North Hollywood, California

41 months ago

Navy seal in Los Angeles, California said: I have been a union carpenter since I got out of SEALS I was working from Alaska to Los Angeles and there is nothing but if somebody knows anyone willing to hire a purple heart sailor I will bleed for you like I did my country ........

I cant believe what Kathy just said... Kathy you should be ashamed of yourself. I would be HONORED to hire someone who has served their country. Kathy do you realize its easier to be a Harvard Graduate than a Navy Seal right? Being a Navy Seal, or serving in the military and sacrificing your life for your country deserves a job JUST AS MUCH IF NOT MORE than a alcoholic carpenter that speaks half English, but yet has 10 years experience. I would take the work ethic of a Navy Seal as apprentice level one ANY DAY OF THE WEEK over a Journeymen carpenter. Kathy should be ashamed of herself, she is the spitting image of veteran discrimination. Having a Navy Seal represent your company would be a unbelievable honor in my opinion.

If work was better we would SO hire you. Most of our work is Military, VA, Government and Aerospace. Not sure if you do acoustical work though...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Give us all a break........anyone that tries to take the lead with their claim to former military service is just trying to step ahead of someone else that may be just as much if not more capable......bottom line, if he was the go getter that a typical navy seal is, former or current, he wouldn't be a construction worker waiting on a job, he would be in leadership role.......it speaks volumes that in itself alone. Not trying to debate, but I think something is not altogether on the up and up with that claim. I was in special boat unit out of Little creek, but a reservist.......we worked with seals....so do I get extra credit? Hell no, I shouldn't......my past outside of what I do for a living has nothing to do with why I should get a job. No shirt tail riding, oh, I had lunch with the boss, maybe I should get the job now right?

kjharis in Scottsdale, Arizona

41 months ago

Crowbar53they in Lansing, Michigan said: Kathy from Illinois... E - Verify won't work intil they figure out a better system. It's sad but true cus' the illegals have figured out how to get the card forged only costs $300.00...sometimes they'll even throw in a fake S.S. card for a $100.00 more.

Employers don't check unless its on a gov'm job where they are forced too. Would rather chance it and not get caught,or if they do, just pay the fine. But ya' the union supports it too cause it boosts the members #'s.... more money for them. Love the Union but
they don't care about you.

Can we get of the non-sense of racism and politics and get back to the more crucial matter at hand that we can attend to in the present .. Like where is all the work at??? im a journeyman carpenter from local 408 and its sad to say that when i went to my union meeting last month it was talk of politics and no talk of work. I want to work. Where are the priorities at people..??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.