Union Journeyman Carpenter Looking for Work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (401 to 450 of 575)
Page:  « First « Previous   6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next »   Last »

Randall Wright in Springfield, Ohio

45 months ago

I am looking for work please 32 yaer at this. Iam 49 year old and a hard worker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dosxxey in Pulaski, New York

45 months ago

same here in hastings NY only 11 weeks worked this year...just got lucky the other day. went to carosel mall walked on the scaffold job was hired. there is so many different contractors in there now if you have time it might be worth it to stop in. bring your hat walk in the east side new addition;;;take care Brother;;;;;Kevin277[NES}

hammers75 in Middletown, Connecticut

44 months ago

Honestly do you stay or do you go.Work is work no matter what you do.Ive been of and on as union carpenter for about 3 years now.I love the brotherhood with everthing ive got but sometimes a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.I work two part time jobs at night then do side jobs to get by.HAVE FAITH its going to get better trust me its picking up pretty good here in connecticut.

Joe in Iowa City, Iowa

44 months ago

jerry cook in Pinellas Park, Florida said: try walsh construction if ur a bridge carpenter , they also have building trades i know they have a office in chicago ill. they have a good guy working for them buy the name paul bitters , he honest and stright to the point

There is no work in the Springfield, Il area. They say next year that there is a green power plant that is supposed to start. Not sure when though.

Joe Fulton in Springfield, Illinois

44 months ago

I've been out of work for 8 months this year. I'm willing to travel to work and will do anything. I just need some leads for work. If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate them!! Thanks

sirfranky in Auburn, Washington

44 months ago

South dakota guys pack everything u got

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tony l in Idaho Falls, Idaho

44 months ago

sirfranky in Auburn, Washington said: South dakota guys pack everything u got

say what, when and where?

Joe Fulton in Iowa City, Iowa

44 months ago

Can you give me some more details. Name and number of a company.

sirfranky in Bonney Lake, Washington

44 months ago

Heres the deal theres alot of oil in the dakotas north south i cant remember which one for sure research it guys. Anyway theres a big time shortage on everything including housing for the work force thats why I said pack everything u can if u run work you should be a builder if not swing ur hammers like u know how, shoot for real early spring so the thaw is around the corner its an adventure sort of thing but well worth it but RESEARCH everything

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marsh in Aurora, Colorado

44 months ago

I'm having my kitchen redone and needed about 4 hours worth of taping/mudding/texturing done. Little did I know that my contractor was sending a Mexican (and I'm not being derogotary about this). He's working up a sweat and doing a good job. When I asked the price, he said it would be fair. Half way through the job, he said he'd have to return tomorrow. I asked again - he popped up with $450. Over $100 an hour??? Like pigs fly. Here's what I've found in the Denver area, GCs hire vendors who hire illegals, pay them $8-$12 an hour while Americans go without. If I've heard it once, I've heard it hundreds of times, "Subcontractors these days don't have any work ethic. They don't show when they're supposed to, they don't respond to calls, emails or texts."

IF you guys and gals are indeed wanting work, then get back on track, find your work ethic and be responsible. Next, show up at construction sites with navy blue jackets and baseball hats looking like INS personal. When the illegals run off the site, offer your services and work as hard as they do. Maybe then things will turn around.

Illegal immigrants are eating your share of the pie. And please, don't ask the government to do anything for you. Open your eyes, they are the problem by allowing them to stay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Watch out there guys might start calling you our leader... I hear you we are on our own these guys Big business runs it way around all of us and if you know your historythats the way it has always been in this country NO LYING...

kathy in Cleveland, Ohio

44 months ago

I cannot believe the gullible people here. People, there have been posts for carpenters in the Dakotas and other Middle-of-Nowhereville states all year. In fact, they were the focus of articles written on the subject of "where the jobs are and the uemployed workers are NOT".
Anyhow, the pay rate is cheap from what I saw. What you can afford to live in, other than a box, I have no idea. Moreover, do you have a house to unload? Can you do that? Who is gonna pay your moving costs? About 5,000 for a decent size truck, & that is on a you-load, they drive basis. Do you have first, last & security deposit for a place to stay? Does your family want to live in places like these states, when the demographics clearly show people moved AWAY from the breadbaskets & went to the coasts? Just a FEW questions that come to mind every time I read one of the "run now" to this area, that area. BTW, you all remember what happened in Louisiana, right? Flooded in by illegal mexican workers who did all the work cheaply, then groused that they were "lured' there by us americans! And now, New Orleans & area is another place contaminated by mexico.

44 months ago

kathy in Cleveland, Ohio said: I cannot believe the gullible people here. People, there have been posts for carpenters in the Dakotas and other Middle-of-Nowhereville states all year. In fact, they were the focus of articles written on the subject of "where the jobs are and the uemployed workers are NOT".
Anyhow, the pay rate is cheap from what I saw. What you can afford to live in, other than a box, I have no idea. Moreover, do you have a house to unload? Can you do that? Who is gonna pay your moving costs? About 5,000 for a decent size truck, & that is on a you-load, they drive basis. Do you have first, last & security deposit for a place to stay? Does your family want to live in places like these states, when the demographics clearly show people moved AWAY from the breadbaskets & went to the coasts? Just a FEW questions that come to mind every time I read one of the "run now" to this area, that area. BTW, you all remember what happened in Louisiana, right? Flooded in by illegal mexican workers who did all the work cheaply, then groused that they were "lured' there by us americans! And now, New Orleans & area is another place contaminated by mexico.

still a dumbass must be a browns fan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

greg z in West Sacramento, California

44 months ago

hey, ive been a union member for 8 years. everyone is right about not working if you aren't in the circle. its like any other job. put in your time and if your any good you will find a home. on the other hand about 60 to 70 % of carpenters join as so called journeyman. if you want to be successful in OUR UNION. MY ADVICE IS COMPLETE THE APPRENTICE PROGRAM. by doing so you give companies cheap labor, in turn they keep you around when you torn out. so all those carpenters that thought they were journeyman without the school. go back start over take the classes and become a company man. good luck to all my brothers and sisters out there that completed the program and are still looking for work.

machineguns in Watertown, New York

44 months ago

Uprooting your family on a whim or leaving your family behind on a whim........don't think so, how about I just go to Alaska and pan for gold........the odds are probably better for something long term.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

When I was younger I spent 5 years in Alaska best time of my life didnt find gold but did well fishing. I never said take the family to work with you.... Some of these guys on here havent worked in a long time so it might be worth it to them.

This blog is for( Union carpenter out of work.. ) Not skepticism about traveling for work.... carpenters have traditionally followed the work as well as coal miners and everyone else that wanted to take a chance on the American Dream..

You gotta want it I know there are guys on here that do...

kjhairston in Scottsdale, Arizona

44 months ago

I agree with you 100% I also completed the apprenticeship and became a journeyman about 8 years or so ago... I am still on the work list that I signed up for in april. I am number 51 now and started at 376 or something like that. I can only hope that when my number comes up that im not working for 3 months and then back to the end of the line again.. Its hard out here on the west coast especially in arizona where I live. Arizona is not a pro-union state. I hate to admit it but I had to work non union to get by. I am not happy about it at all. But I got a family of 8 to provide for and I am the only source of income. I sell my skills and knowledge for less than half my journeymans wages at times. What else can I do? Im a paycheck away from working at Mc Donalds. ( No offense ) I just dont see anything changing for the better anytime soon...

44 months ago

You do what you have to...I would rather see you survive thru this and eventually get our Union strong again then to perish into poverty...

44 months ago

I am a union carpenter and I am justifiably skeptical. 4 years of part time work is enough proof to suit me. I am currently unemployed for the fourth year in a row and on my 6th month of it. You can want all you like, but if it's not there it's not there. A more productive solution to leaving your family or selling your home in a bad market, if you even can....is to do like I have done and go down to the department of labor (the people that send you that unemployment check every week) and have them assist you in finding a job with your transferable skills....that is more than just swinging hammers and hands on stuff by the way. Not everyone is in the position to pack it up and go for that gusto you speak up.....no matter how much they want it. This isn't a TV show we're talking about, this is real life, not Alaska Gold Rush or Black Gold (oil rig reality show)......want it or not, there are alternatives when you realize that not every job in life can be a union job, there is always a point where you have to step down and get your hands a little dirtier.

jose m sanchez in carol stream, Illinois

44 months ago

You can`t contaminate something that was already contaminated. With all the lazy bums that don`t want to do the work they had to bring others.

kathy in Cleveland, Ohio

44 months ago

sirfranky in Bonney Lake, Washington said: still a dumbass must be a browns fan

Since when am I STILL a dumbass? Idiot child, I get many, many positive comments on this board. Why? Cuz I actually thinkdeeply about subjects, not spout out "you are my hero" and "let's all get up & run to Nowhereville" on rumors and a whim! Do you even think about the subjects you profess to know about? No. Did you even read ANY of the articles I mentioned about the job disconnection for the unemployed or the scenario of what happend in Louisiana? No, you didn't. Could you quote the dollar figures I gave you or think ahead to the expenses you would need to fork out? Certainly not. Instead, our Big Thinker Extraordinaire hurls a name out, probably never even read any of my previous posts so is totally unfamiliar with any of my thoughts, and then makes -- dear god -- a sports reference????
BTW, I don't watch ANY pro football, loser. I refuse to watch overpaid, slickly-packaged childish men with huge ego playing a fun game who then whine about their contracts all the while posing for the cameras. No thank you. I prefer more brainier pursuits.

kathy in Cleveland, Ohio

44 months ago

Glad you had fun in Alaska. But we are not talking fun here. We are talking livelihood. And you needn't lecture me about the real meaning of "JOURNEYman" either, for my husband has travelled plenty enough in his career. And I also know well enough the dire straits of those on this board; in fact, I champion most of them. To address the specfics in your last post: you never SAID to take the family, but so many of these guys ARE in fact, family men. Do you have a plan for that separation to make realistic supporting, in essence, 2 families? (the relocated carpenter AND his stuck-behind family?) Have you thought this out? Are you also aware of the havoc this economy has brought down on marriages? I wonder how many could survive your Dakota experiment. Just more food for thought you see....Also want to comment on the "american dream" reference you made. If you think gambling with your livelihood and a family's livelihood (especially without due diligence of the situation) is for you, break out your suitcase & hit the gas, buddy. If that is your idea of chasing the american dream, go for it, but you will notice others have mentioned their skepticism. Also, the "gotta want it" reference is most offensive. Those not able to, or desiring to, or foolish enough to relocate to an undesirable locale are not WANTING work any less than you do. BTW, since you are in a hurry to leave (and don't let me stop ya), one of the "leads" was carpenters wanted in Afghanistan. And "carpenters wanted for overseas jobs". I suppose you got sucked into those scams, too.

44 months ago

First off your not a Carpenter your not even in a Union and yes you talk on these forums cuz you got nothing better to do. These out of work men on this forum look for work and vent their issues. You cry about Louisiana's Mexican work force That's off topic....

Start a new forum for that So I Can Ignore it as well as ignore YOU.
Still a dumbass in Cleveland...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

I had a blast in Alaska cuz I love hard work.... Thousands travel to Alaska every year and come back with a boat load of cash to their families and most of them didn't take their wives but alot of them did in fact find The American Dream as well. Because they WANTED IT... So hard for you to understand anyone wanting to suceed

Funny they have been going back and forth to Alaska for decades and ironicly not alot of MEXICANS left behind to corupt the place like you state about Louisiana

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

herman hernandez in Grand Prairie, Texas

44 months ago

FRIST OF ALL I NEVER SAID THAT I WAS A CARPENTER UNION I USED TO BE A SELF CONTRACTOR BUT THE ECONAMY KILL ME YOU ARE NOTHING BUT A UNION CARPENTER NO OFFINES TO ALL THE OTHER HARD WORKING UNION OUT THERE IN THE WORLD. YOUR NOTHING BUT A MAN THAT DOESN'T TAKE HIS JOB SERIOUSLY IN ALL ACTUALITY YOU ARE JUST ANOTHER CARPENTER AND I AM A MASTER CARPENTER. THANK YOU GOD BLESS YOU HAVE A GOOD DAY.

44 months ago

Master Carpenter in need of a dictionary? Try selling someone that nonsense in a resume' and see what kind of master they take you for........that's shameful to call yourself master at something and not even spell 5th grade level.

kathy in Cleveland, Ohio

44 months ago

sirfranky in Bonney Lake, Washington said: First off your not a Carpenter your not even in a Union and yes you talk on these forums cuz you got nothing better to do. These out of work men on this forum look for work and vent their issues. You cry about Louisiana's Mexican work force That's off topic....

Start a new forum for that So I Can Ignore it as well as ignore YOU.
Still a dumbass in Cleveland...

Moronic fool: correct, I am not a carpenter, but apparently, neither are YOU! You are so transparent. And I understand this forum better than, and I actually champion these people where it COUNTS, you twit, rather than spread rumors and BULL$HIT about false leads & encourage people to what was that -- RUN to South Dakota without an ounce of thinking going into it. You also have a lack of education that comes across in technicolor. My Louisian reference was NOT off-topic; you, in your walnut-sized neandrethal brain, just couldn't grasp the concept!
Lastly, I have plenty better to do, but I actually MAKE time to check in now & then. What is YOUR purpose on this board? Cheerleading? Rumor mongering? Trying to get brownie points or hero worship? And I remind you that when carpenters are out of work, their FAMILIES suffer as well, you self-centered airhead. Now go kiss your face in the mirror, cuz you probably have your own self that loves you, and kiss my a$$, literally & figuratively!

kathy in Cleveland, Ohio

44 months ago

sirfranky in Bonney Lake, Washington said: I had a blast in Alaska cuz I love hard work.... Thousands travel to Alaska every year and come back with a boat load of cash to their families and most of them didn't take their wives but alot of them did in fact find The American Dream as well. Because they WANTED IT... So hard for you to understand anyone wanting to suceed

Funny they have been going back and forth to Alaska for decades and ironicly not alot of MEXICANS left behind to corupt the place like you state about Louisiana

RED ALERT< RED ALERT: Now this fool is suggesting you all run off to Alaska to "chase your dream"! Better yet, he is suggesting you take off w/o your wives, too!!! Funny, haven't heard about a population explosion in Alaska! Haven't read about any carpenters with boatloads of cash....
And I won't even touch on the environment, social conditions, cost of living, etc. of living in Alaska. Again, you prattle on about an area few would consider/or can afford.
Also, you know precious little about me. How can you spout verbal diarrhea about whether I resent successful people? You do soooooo love to try and concoct stories about people.
Lastly, you cannot gain one ounce of information about me from the city that pops up when I type these missives nor the reason that I am in that city. Again, you love to take a small grain of information & project all your fantasy venom onto that. Fifth grade education, perhaps?
I read a new rumor about another project being cooked up. Why don't you go and try to find it & book your airline ticket?

kathy in Cleveland, Ohio

44 months ago

Herman, not my dispute here, but I have a suggestion for you. Please post up what YOU feel defines a master carpenter. That would clarify exactly what you mean by that. List the skills and experience YOU feel defines a master carpenter, and then list out how YOU fit the bill.
I suspect that you are quoting what I have seen on job boards and other apps. It usually says: "apprentice, journeyman, or master carpenter". Is this what you are getting at????

44 months ago

Basically what we have here is the reality of a variety of lives at stake here. I moved to where I am to pursue work, the American dream of a home and a wife at home with our newborn child in srping of 2007.....well the economy was safe or so I thought and then caught my wife a year or so later not happy and looking for men on the internet......the bottom line.....take into consideration that a normal relationship that may already be under stress and strain and factor in a cross country move, gamble that is likely away from family or support and you have a disaster for a recipe. I was moving towards my family with support and a cheap home and a job with potential or so I thought. Putting all your eggs in one basket has proved to be my demise, but not for any one reason, things do happen and the stresses compounded by looking for work, a place to stay, and many others......can destroy a family. I think that many are reluctant to just pack it up or leave their families behind. Not because they are not hard workers or don't want things better for their family, but because they realize that it may turn out to be the worst thing, job or not for their families. I would strongly advise against packing up and moving lock stock and barrel for the chance at something better......not unless you had a contingency plan for a failed job and some others set in place to cover a move back if you get fired, laid off or it just didn't pan out. Count me out, I learned my lesson the hard way about making big moves and taking gambles with life. 46, unemployed and paying 800+ a month even while unemployed..in child support has taught me that doing what I needed to do and working out of town can bite you in the butt in a way that no one should be bit.

sirfranky in Puyallup, Washington

44 months ago

WHERE ON HERE HAVE YOU EVER TOLD ANYONE WHERE THE WORK IS?

sirfranky in Puyallup, Washington

44 months ago

WELL WHERES THE WORK KATHY NOT IN CLEVELAND THATS FOR SURE NOT EVEN ENOUGH FOR YOUR HANDYMAN HUSBAND

44 months ago

sirfranky in Puyallup, Washington said: WHERE ON HERE HAVE YOU EVER TOLD ANYONE WHERE THE WORK IS?

and the master carpenter comment......
I've only been in the union for about 4 years and over 20 not. I have yet to see anyone I could call master at anything around northern NY......there is too much diversity around here and lack of need to be able to specialize in any one specific thing like I have done for over 20 years. Am I a master? I would never say yes I am a master, but I think that is arrogant and or cocky at best to call yourself master anything. The pissing match here for what, not enough gumption to chase the dream, its not so simple, who posts work where ever? I've mentioned there being an upcoming project in Syracuse a while back, but everyone isn't here to pitch job, some just piss and moan like myself...its therapy for my leaving town to go for the gusto that didn't pan out and still trying to make it in a screwed up economy and being at the bottom again having to prove yourself all over in your mid 40's. Casting judgement on someone that decides not to go is not proof they are not hard workers or true carpenters and Master is an arrogant word to use to describe oneself. Where is this all going? No where......there is no reliable work, nothing you can pack up and risk a family for........that's the real point here. These are changing times and Master or not, its always easy to armchair quarterback when you aren't in the midst of the battle.

sirfranky in Washington

44 months ago

Im done with this crybaby forum...... it's not about work or finding work anymore For the record I'm a Union Finish carpenter 20 years in and came up from framing to bridge building and highrises even worked on Dams Now I just install beautiful wood on the wall wherever it is needed and I'm rarely out of work but if I was I'd be goin to where it is instead of crying that my family can't deal with it or oh its not good there WAH WAH WAH WAH ......
WHILE I'M GONE PLEASE HELP EACHOTHER OUT KEEP POSTING WHAT YOU KNOW AND SAVE THE CRYING AND EXCUSE MAKING FOR ANOTHER FORUM

44 months ago

Well that sums it up right there MR 27,000 on the list...
ROTFLMFAO

Tony L in Idaho Falls, Idaho

44 months ago

you can do what I did. I was laid off a year ago now, so I decided to get my degree in occupational safety and health. I have spent this time remembering why I hated school so many years ago, but at least this time I have a specific goal in mind besides graduating in June. The union here is like every where else apperently, if you do not know the right people or kiss the right ass, it does not matter were you are on the OWL, your not getting called. When I started out, more moons ago than I want to admit, a very wise older boss told me two remember these two things. If you are not screwing something up, odds are you are not doing anything and the only difference between a master carpenter and a journeyman carpenter is that a master can hide their mistakes better. I hope you all find work soon, but remember the is no amount of money worth leaving your families behind for.

44 months ago

sirfranky in Bonney Lake, Washington said: Well that sums it up right there MR 27,000 on the list...
ROTFLMFAO

Actually that is a referral number or something, I inquired as to how I was 39 then 27000 and something on a list.......I got that cleared up. I'm still without work even at 39 for several months..........is what it is.......no work slick!

At least in the union, if I want to hook up with 5 guys burgers I can have a job when they open maybe? What do you think I'm gonna do?

kalvinhairstonjr in Scottsdale, Arizona

44 months ago

I also completed the apprenticeship and became a journeyman about 8 years or so ago... I am still on the work list that I signed up for in april. I am number 51 now and started at 376 or something like that. I can only hope that when my number comes up that im not working for 3 months and then back to the end of the line again.. Its hard out here on the west coast especially in arizona where I live. Arizona is not a pro-union state. I hate to admit it but I had to work non union to get by. I am not happy about it at all. But I got a family of 8 to provide for and I am the only source of income. I sell my skills and knowledge for less than half my journeymans wages at times. What else can I do? Im a paycheck away from working at Mc Donalds. ( No offense ) I just dont see anything changing for the better anytime soon...

44 months ago

Tony L in Idaho Falls, Idaho said: you can do what I did. I was laid off a year ago now, so I decided to get my degree in occupational safety and health. I have spent this time remembering why I hated school so many years ago, but at least this time I have a specific goal in mind besides graduating in June. The union here is like every where else apperently, if you do not know the right people or kiss the right ass, it does not matter were you are on the OWL, your not getting called. When I started out, more moons ago than I want to admit, a very wise older boss told me two remember these two things. If you are not screwing something up, odds are you are not doing anything and the only difference between a master carpenter and a journeyman carpenter is that a master can hide their mistakes better. I hope you all find work soon, but remember the is no amount of money worth leaving your families behind for.

Too funny, I've been telling rookies this for years.......the only way to avoid making mistakes is to just quit right now and go home and do nothing. There are no true masters in my book, but some very skilled individuals. Going back to school is good thing if you can swing it, I'm not able to do it on my outgoing right now. I've always been a hands on guy, but I am pursuing an alternate career path, albeit less pay, but at least 40 hours a week and year round inside. There are some really good men I saw get laid off months before I did. But when it comes down to the boss's son and some 10 year and more friendships, you just stand no chance sometimes no matter how good you are. This is life, we adapt and squeeze in or move on. I'm trying to get out of this divorce with my sanity and some of my home's equity, things will turn around for us all, its just hard to bear the waiting pains. Hang in there all, if I can make it, I know you can too!

hammers75 in Middletown, Connecticut

44 months ago

U do what u gotta do but still stay connected to your local.

kathy in Cleveland, Ohio

44 months ago

Damn, I thought you were "done with this board!" you compulsive twit. I WISH I could be sending out job missives to employ THE hardest hit sector of the economy -- the construction industry. You are right, there is very, very little work in Cleveland -- or anywhere else. THAT is the problem. So I suppose I should float rumors instead like you do? As a matter of fact, plenty of rumors flying around here, about lofty projects "coming down the pike" that do not materialize. Substitute "Cleveland" & insert any other city, and it is the same.
As for "Handyman Husband" -- 33 years, almost exclusively all union, started in framing, worked up to trim quickly, foreman almost ALL of those years. Both commercial as well as residential. Try & control your envy, pitiful man.
Lastly, I cautioned you before about taking a grain of info & making up stories with it. I am in Cleveland, Master Jerko$$, cuz my father had a stroke so serious enough that he had to be lifefighted from 1 hospital to another and is now in rehab. It is me who has to take on the duties of caretaker as well as handle my mother in a nursing home facility AND take care of our own day to day responsibilities. Gonna eat that comment about me "being bored" now, ignoramus?
Please, lead your 1 man Parade out of Bonney Lake Nowhereville right up to South Dakota or the next Flavor of the Week city that is humming with work. Be "done with the board" as you state.
I, like others on this board, have offered alternatives to chasing around the country. And excuse us if we have experienced that & won't fall into the trap again, or we prefer to wait for verifiable facts before we leap.

44 months ago

Good morning to you too! Sorry about your situation. I am amazed you still think that you provide a service on this board. Not one of your posts have ever mentioned anything about a JOB. The only thing I hear from you is excuses for those unemployed folks out there if they take your advice and stay without jobs soon they will lose all unemployment benefits which means no home and surely their families will suffer maybe your partner will just give up and leave. I have way too many friends going through that right now so don't try and dispute it.
Partners fed up with the lack of ability to provide. Even though it's completely beyond their control.

I am simply offering an alternative to doing nothing. What does it hurt to RESEARCH THOSE JOBS like I stated multiple times and from the East Coast a day and half drive to see if maybe we can send checks home, rebuild our unemployment benefits and put food on the table before it too late to do anything.

If we never traveled for a better life/// America would not exist the West coast would have never been settled///In this ecomomy we have to sometimes take a chance on something///

Quit making excuses about everything and provide hard facts about Jobs............. Most of all give people hope.................

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Crowbar53 in Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

44 months ago

Tony L in Idaho Falls, Idaho said: you can do what I did. I was laid off a year ago now, so I decided to get my degree in occupational safety and health. I have spent this time remembering why I hated school so many years ago, but at least this time I have a specific goal in mind besides graduating in June. The union here is like every where else apperently, if you do not know the right people or kiss the right ass, it does not matter were you are on the OWL, your not getting called. When I started out, more moons ago than I want to admit, a very wise older boss told me two remember these two things. If you are not screwing something up, odds are you are not doing anything and the only difference between a master carpenter and a journeyman carpenter is that a master can hide their mistakes better. I hope you all find work soon, but remember the is no amount of money worth leaving your families behind for.

Tony from Idaho.... Great that you went back to school but if their is no jobs what good is a degree? Can you hold out until work picks up? What about your pension? All of us don't have the money to go back to school.

ThePIGofLasVegas in Kingman, Arizona

44 months ago

You must Start with the Civil's & Build,And,Your a master of WHAT???If you can't Build the structure,you have nothing to finish!!!!!

44 months ago

umm......... master carpenter is s calcification. i attended the northern California carpentry college, Fairfield campus. upon competing your not only a journeyman carpenter your a MASTER CARPENTER. kinda like a masters degree.... i am proud to say I'm a MASTER CARPENTER, I've dedicated my life to this union brotherhood since i was 18 I'm 26 now. if your union ,your elite and i truly believe that. so, for all those foolish people that are scared to classify themselves as master carpenters , try going to school for 5 years then get back ti this post.

44 months ago

You are not a "MASTER CARPENTER"....at 26 years old with a degree in whatever, I can respect your efforts, but you don't warrant the title MASTER of anything. Can you run shcools and prison jobs as I have done, hands on do the work along side the men while running those jobs............I don't think your degree is worth squat for skills. Master at paperwork perhaps, not hands on real life job skills. Give me a break and don't insult the working men that are much closer to master than what you delude yourself to being degree or not.

44 months ago

your so foolish, ill be done working when im your age, schools and hospitals are small projects, i just finished phase one on San fran.s bay bridge. i fire people like you weekly, so keep posting these comments, My wife and i find it entertaining. good luck with your school projects, heavy civil projects are where the real money is. have a nice day apprentice carpenter. you're words clarify that your will never be a master carpenter in our union.

44 months ago

Whatever slick. You'll have your day of being humbled. The fact remains you are not a Master Carpenter beyond your degree. Project manager or something with paperwork, but no hands on real life skills, so quit with your nonsense claims of being a master of anything, you're a rookie with a real chip on his shoulder. No way you are top dog at anything, you're riding someone's shirttail for your job or your related to someone that hooked you up with a steady job. Sell your bull$hit somewhere else. If you were that successful you wouldn't be perusing these boards. You fool no one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

like i said ill be done working by the time I'm your age, and your right my dad is the union president so i did get hooked up.good luck finding work. i got plenty,

sandlparker04 in Missoula, Montana

44 months ago

wow....this forum had turned quite nasty. Shame on all the BS being posted. I am a Union Carpenter from the Local 28 in Missoula, Montana but all of our unions here in Montana have been axed and am now a "Charter" member of the Local 82. I am proud of the fact that I was a member of the oldest union other than the Local 1 out of Chicago, but I doubt the day that there are enough union jobs here in Montana to sustain the livelihoods of those that will not work anything other than union. I paid over $6 hour into a pension for years that will only give me $12 per month per year after retirement. That's $12,000 per year paid in.....and $144 a year paid out.....it would take surviving 83 years AFTER retirement to get it back. I know that there are unions out there that have a better pension package than ours here in Montana, but what to do???? Unions were created for better wages, safety, conditions, etc., for workers, but mine is taking my money, now more so than ever!!!! Can anyone afford to hang on and wait for union work to pick up???

I see that someone apologized for taking a non union job...do not apologize man, you have to work where the work is!!! I have been on BOTH sides of the union, and worked my way up after getting out of the USN 25 years ago. I did not go through the apprentice program, but I am damn good at what I do thanks to all the projects I have worked on and the opportunities I pursued. Life is all about getting ahead and making it as smooth as possible. I am making more money now than when I was a union project foreman, and have less headaches to boot. There are jobs out there and I see bids for more on the way. I do not think there is anywhere in the country right now that is any better than the other with the exception of North Dakota. I have friends working there now and the money IS fa-nominal. Research it beforehand and get a job before you go if this is something you want or can swing. Good Luck...stay strong!!

Page:  « First « Previous   6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.