What are typical cdl driver salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (44)

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

krazyme x 10246 in olympia, Washington

88 months ago

well, u cant get in a big rig, unless go thru a truck driving school,there r a few out there, but after you get a cdl, you'll need experience in driving, cr england is a rip off school, they say 6 weeks, i had to redo my cdl, and went thru there crap, after 13 weeks, i left them.....they lie.... if i was to do it over again, i get with U S EXPRESS, OR JB HUNT, THEY MAKE SURE YOU GET TRAINING, AND HOME TIME, NOT 21 DAYS OUT, THEN 34 HRS HOME, AFTER 2 YRS, YOU CAN GO ANYWHERE, AND BETTER PAY THEN A BREAKIN COMPANY, GOOD LUCK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

chi town driver in Chicago, Illinois

82 months ago

Jerry in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Swift is ok but doesn't always train everybody the way they should. I went with TMC. Great company, and look to make between 40 and 46k just starting, and after 6 months you have the opportunity to make 60,000+. And your home 46/52 weekends a year and only go 600 miles from home. Besides that you get to take the truck home with you... Does swift do that??? More money and more home time, make the choice...

yes swift allows you to take your truck home , its your truck. i work in the itermodal section out gary /chicago. i get home 4 out 5 days if i want off., with weekends off if i want them. we have some driver in day cab who make 18 an hour 12 on 12 , weekends off too

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

x10246swift in Fort Worth, Texas

82 months ago

tell you 1 thing swift don't pay, and u get screw, i was with swift, overload cargo, and no roadside service, swift a fricking joke

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

U.R Busted in Canfield, Ohio

81 months ago

Jerry in Minnesota sure sounds like a TMC recruiter.............

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

runner in Renton, Washington

77 months ago

So you think you know about Swift eh? Let me tell you what my friends are saying about good ol' Swift. When you recieve your check and your miles you drove are WAY less than what Swift calculated, then you ask them about it and when you sign for your check you are agreeing to their miles, not yours. Talk about a RIPOFF!!!
You think your gonna get more than 1 or 2 hundred a week? That's a joke. Ask Swift how many of their drivers actually get paid the advertised price? They won't answer that ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you don't believe me, then ask your recruiter to put it in writing. They won't !!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

runner in Renton, Washington

77 months ago

bin working solo for swift for 5 months now. have gone through 4 driver managers, cause none of them seem to listen or care about whats going on with you, all they care about is keeping that truck moving so they can make more money. the biggest paycheck i ever got was in the last couple weeks of training.. the 500 dollar a week paychecks. i havnt even come close to making a weekly paycheck like that. i make about 100 to 200 dollars a week,26 cents a mile, then deduct student loan, medical, taxes, driver advances.. sometimes i get nothing at all, because im so broke all the time i have to request driver advances, and company advances for all the toll roads, so my last paycheck... i owed swift the entire thing plus 100 more they say i owe them now. i always heard truck drivers make good money. well, they dont, atleast not starting out with swift. i have asked for as many miles as i can have in a week, and still never get 3000 miles a week.and no one answers any of the phones if you have a question at my terminal. and on weekends? forget about it. they will just put you on hold for hours, while you are in some emergency situation. they wont pay you for multiple stops, they wont pay you for driver unloads, they wont pay you for local pay, even tho they say its all taken care of. it never is. driver reimbursment for recepits doesnt happen, and you have no way of seeing your pay stub till you get your 2 days off a month.. and try calling pay roll? they will never answer their phones either..and if you are on hometime and have a medical emergency and need a couple more days off to see a doctor or dentist, you better hope it hasnt bin a week already, because they dont care whats going on with you, they will tell you if you dont get back to work, someone is coming to pick up the truck, even if you fax them medical records and proof you are ill.they also never informed me that if you get one flagrant over speed, that you will be fired if you get one more in a 12 month perio

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

mike in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

75 months ago

I would advise anyone interested in getting their CDL to find a way to go to a private driving school, like at a community college or the like. You have to be careful when you have a trucking company train you. They don't charge you up front, but if you aren't happy with the company during your contract period you will have to pay them back for your training - at a price they set. And yes, there is a contract period - a time frame you are expected to work for them after your training, usually one or two years. If you aren't happy with the company, you may have to buy your way out of your job - not a fun prospect. To get started you need a clean driving record, a clean criminal record (usually), and the ability to pass a drug screen. Figure on 6 weeks of training, $4500 to $5500 for the class, physical, drug test, etc. - and ask them how many students are in a truck during a driving session.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

shifter68 in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

Most major carriers are a joke. Anyone serious about trucking needs to get to know someone that runs there own truck. Trucking schools only teach enough to get someone killed. I've been in business 20 plus years. Ups and downs. Make a decent living. Second generation trucker so I was taught by my father. Over the years I have seen a few that invested wisely in different things and made a good retirement. Most over the years are paycheck rich. O/O especially. I've had weeks of over 15grand. Then weeks of nothing. If a person wants to work and doesn't want the pain of owning you can expect to make about 30 grand a year. Don't let anyone b.s. you. Some are making over 50 but few. If they are and new to the business they live in the truck with no life. It's not easy if it were everyone would do it. You can make a good life trucking but it takes years and a lot of work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (63) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

williamhbonnie in Cleveland, Ohio

70 months ago

i was so pumped up to b a trucker ... i was goin to my community college to b trained ... i planed on working alot but bein home at least a few times a month and making good money ... but i think i dnt kno who to believe ... im a try it out and c whats whats

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Well Jerry say what you will. 15k a week yep. I didn't say every week, and yea I haul high stress high aggravation loads. Typically grossing over 150,000lbs and over 200 feet long up to 18 feet wide. Let me know at the end of that year when and if you get it in, how much you actually make. Don't forget my comment originally posted was for drivers just starting out. When the "HoneyMoon" is over at your "new" job. Let me know how they treat you then.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in New Windsor, New York

62 months ago

Ok I see alot of people asking about school and companies. I am 35yrs old attended CDL A School in North Carolina for $2500 for a 80hour coarse. They had no problems taking my money with false promises of guaranteed employment. Even after I fully disclosed my background and driving history, They assured me I'd get a job. I have a drug possession misdemeanor from 2006, most companies told me after 3 years I would be hire able, now with the economy, there are more drivers than there are jobs. Most companies have raised their hiring standards when it comes to drugs, dui's and felonies etc. The catch is it's not most of the companies doing this it's the insurance regulators that won't insure unexperienced or "un" high risk drivers. What happens when all the baby boomer generation retires,and the economy is back in full swing , they will be forced in my opinion to re-lower their standards. I can tell you from 1st hand experience unless you want to work for next to nothing and possibly never see your own truck, Stay away from CR England, They did accept me with a my crappy driving record and a drug misdemeanor , when they interview you on the spot you'd be surprised what they will accept, they just want to see if your honest. Now as far as swift and JB Hunt , swift 10yrs no drug convictions, JB hunt and Schneider are now 5yrs with no drug or dui convictions. Schneider is a all around good training company if you don't have any of these issues and they will pay for you to go to orientation and free hotels etc. I could ramble for ever , just thought i'd give my side of things. With that said < I have a valid Class A & DOT Card, if any o/o's or anyone looking to lease/buy a truck that wants to partner up or need help please let me know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

tktimoteo in O Fallon, Missouri

59 months ago

(iam am in st. Paul MN-not sure why it says O'fallon Missouri) I am debating between paying into training with a local Truck Driver Training School(St. Paul, MN) which will place me with Werner or TMC ....OR going with a company in Iowa that provides training if you sign an 8 month contract. They do 20 days on 10 days off with a Team driving starting at .22 cents ml. per split mileage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

I am second generation trucker and love it. 22 plus years. Salaries vary on expierence and willingness to learn. When I started I made about 35,000 a year 22 years ago but I had a pretty good headstart. Looking now I'd say you could do 45,000 pretty easy and if you pick it up and get into it you could easily do 70,000 but don't let the numbers fool you. It's a lot of irregular hours and stress. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

joe mcmillan in Hackensack, New Jersey

48 months ago

mike, a cdl driver said: just about every company pays the same for a rookie driver, 27-29 cents per mile to start. The biggest reason you get fired is accidents
and tickets. Its actually very tough the first year, getting through the first year with out an accident or ticket is very challenging. The first winter is very stressful, driving thru snow and worse yet ICE! is scary but if you SLOW DOWN and dont try to be a super trucker you can make it.
My first year out of a major truck driving school, i made $37,000, BUT!, dont let that decieve you, i was single and only actually got home 3 times. I spent most of the time on the road. If your married, have kids, you will want to be home more often, and you will not be able to run as many miles as i did.
As far as skills you can learn, if you dont already have patience, or wont panic in a stressful situation, learn that real quick. If you dont have any experience driving a big truck, about the only way i know to get in is to go to a truck driving school. If you can swing it, go to one at your community college. I went to a three week course
through SWIFT, they cram alot into three weeks and then if your lucky, the mentor you go out with for six weeks is a good TEACHER, and not some guy looking to pad his bank account with the miles that you run.
To increase your salary is experience, after 3 years you can go anywhere.

so that souds goog untit thay ssk you to work weekeeds

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Kaja in Saint Petersburg, Florida

47 months ago

Everyone here has said how hard it is to drive for Swift; I started with Swift and I guess I was lucky because I got a driver manager that was compassionate, fair and honest. I got home time when asked for and plenty of loads (drive time). Yes, it is true that you do start out at a cpm that isn't very much but it depends on how your driver manager is with you that will make or break you, but I didn't refuse a load either which helps, it shows you are willing to work and it is appreciated by the driver manager. I have been driving for 9 yrs now, it was tough at first but when you are new to driving it will be. I currently work for a private company making an hourly salary of $22.47 and put in 36 hours a week which makes me happy and contented, for the moment....lol. Good luck in your endevour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SnipeUMBLUE in Springfield, New Jersey

43 months ago

Fox Valley Technical College in appleton wisconsin is the best school you can get into. For 3000 dollars you get a 10 week course and 1 day of decision driving on jj keller course they have there. You also get a PTCA CERTIFICATE AND A TECHNICAL DEGREE HOW BOUT THAT. one on one training and a crash course where you get to jacknife your truck and learn how to control it. It was fun and great learning experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tom Miller in Palm Coast, Florida

40 months ago

To Whom It May Concern:
Being retired from the Air Force and going into civilian life I have been layed off. Somthing that would have never happened in the Air Force as I was both in Vietnam and Desert Storm. The civilian world does not understand the military and vice versa.
I am currently enrolled at National Truck Driving School in Green Cove Spring, Florida and am doing my 33 lessons on line before going to the school for actual hands on training which takes at the minimum 4 more weeks. I have never driven a tractor trailor before and would like to know, WHO IS THE BEST COMPANY TO WORK FOR IN THE FIELD, CPM I SHOULD EXPECT, AND AVG MILAGE AS A SOLO/TEAM DRIVER. I am concerned about the team driving although many companies share that if I do not live in a 50 mile area of their terminal that the first 6-12 months I must team with someone. Could be great or could be scarry depending on the other person and myself meshing with our personalities.

PLEASE HELP A NEWBIE IN THE FIELD BECOME ACQUAINTED WITH THE INTERNAL PART OF THE WORLD THAT RECRUITERS FAIL TO SHARE WITH YOU!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jr standridge in Satellite Provider

39 months ago

Jerry in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: TMC is the nations leading flat-bed carrier. They do offer a training school. Log onto the website and contact them. tmctrans.com Within your first year you can make 60k...

LOL you can smell recruiter all over this post. And I will tell you that finding a recruiter that will tell you the truth is like winning the lottery. Been out here since '89, never worked for them, but will tell ANYONE this, talk to the drivers in PERSON at truck stops. Only way to really know how they company is. Sites like this are good to get a idea what's wrong but remember this, how many satisfied people go looking for a site to report bad comments just to say something good? FACTS if thinking of being a OTR driver. Long hours(no way to do it without it), being lied to by your company (if they told you the truth all the time you would quit right off), lower pay than 20 years ago (yes rates are up but miles are down at almost all companies, you can be promised .40 cpm but if you only run 2000 mi a week that's nothing). Poor health (eat good at a truck stop? Not when your living off the .99 menu most of the time. Exercise? Always too tired or frustrated Blood pressure? Just wait till any week day between 3-7pm anywhere near Atlanta GA). I could go on but no one listens lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Detroit68 in Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

This guy is absolutely right, but the bigger the company the more they pound on th BS. I haven't hauled frieght in over 22 years. I'm second generration oversize hauler. But basically it comes down the pike. The bigger the company the bigger the BS. You want to drive and make a good living be prepared to put in 100 hours a week. Union jobs are a joke on call on a board bla bla bla... Think local runs sound good? Be prepared to sit asked to do way out of route runs and things that don't apply. The problem with trucking is not the lack of good drivers it's the lack of drivers who know how to say NO! If the drivers just say NO to BS it would be a great place to work. But one drivers says no the next will do it to make a frigging dollar. Instead of making two hundred. THINK! Quit doing stuff for nothing and quit frigging bitching. Just SAY NO!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Checkinto in Sherman Oaks, California

38 months ago

Well, I have a pre hire with swift. At this point I don't know if that's a good thing or not. I just want to be treated fairly! I always treat others as they treat me, SO saying that, how long till I get fired? lol
Maybe it's like one comment said, if you have a bad dispatcher who doesn't care then it makes the company look bad but if you have a good dispatcher who has some compassion and will to treat you fairly then maybe the company isn't that bad.?
I'm new in the business and actually still in school. I will be graduating in June. From A great school by the way, training with 48'ers. But I'm a very hard worker and I don't complain. But I want to be paid fairly and not get ripped of of my miles. I'm sure it's NOT easy work so I want to be treated fairly,,, that's all. I don't have to be home every weekend, I can stay out for months at a time so JUST pay me the money I earned,,,OK? It's that simple. Keep your employees happy and you get amazing affects from it. Then every one is happy.
Treat some one like dirt, you get dirt back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

andagonewild in Yuba City, California

38 months ago

Jerry in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: If you want to make a GREAT living and have an AWESOME truck. TMC is the way to go, they even let you take the truck home with you.
Check out TMCtrans.com and look at their rigs. Swift gives a lot of their drivers the run around on pay. Just stop a couple drivers at truck stops and ask what they think. I asked one guy and he said he hated it cause they didn't train him like they supposedly said they would and gave a truck and sent him on his way. He asked me on how to use the Qual-com... Go with TMC.

thanks in advance im surly going with TMC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

high5flyer in Chicago, Illinois

37 months ago

Does anybody have experience with Premier training? I'm looking to do it at a local community college in Illinois. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

newdriver in Shelton, Connecticut

35 months ago

Im currently going to nettts my graduation is for 9_28_2012 im thinking about going with tmc trucking because they do have a great starting plan but i realy want a local job driving local does anyone know if its dificut to get a local job or do i have to go to tmc i realy would appriciate the feed back.also i have a criminal background ive been on probation for 3 years i get of in nov this year will it be a problem to get hired anywhere

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

randomish in Lawrence, Kansas

34 months ago

Most starting companies are horrible. That being said, Schneider used to have the best reputation for training in the industry, but isn't as good as it used to be. I tried truck driving 5-6 years ago and hated it. My dad was a trainer owner operator with swift and would make 100k a year (training can be where the real money is at) but working teams with a new student 2 weeks in, he was sometimes afraid he wouldn't wake up in the morning. Woke up with his truck stalled on railroad tracks or burning his breaks up coming down a mountain side etc.. Swift deserves having a horrible reputation. The miles most truck driving companies pay you are direct miles (think if a bird flew from Chicago to KC as opposed to driving through Saint Louis). Many Swift drivers who reside in out of the way areas such as Minnesota and Washington state rarely saw home (I think one complained he had been out for 6 months and I think that was intentional). There can be decent local routes you can switch over to after 6 months, or just switch to a better carrier then. It's common for truck drivers to not stay at one place too long initially. My dad was lucky with his dispatcher and worked out of Kansas City so it was easy to get home, even though I recall many Christmas's where he wasn't sure he'd make it. Once you have experience it's not hard to get a local dedicated route, or if you're lucky JB Hunt dedicated pays decently and you may be able to find one right off the bat and never be otr (they used to sit a lot). I can't say what the good companies are anymore but west coast is a lot easier and lower stress than east coast. I know hauling irregular loads or car hauling (needs exp first) can make you decent money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

billy_penguin in Savannah, Georgia

32 months ago

randomish in Lawrence, Kansas said: Most starting companies are horrible. That being said, Schneider used to have the best reputation for training in the industry, but isn't as good as it used to be. I tried truck driving 5-6 years ago and hated it. My dad was a trainer owner operator with swift and would make 100k a year (training can be where the real money is at) but working teams with a new student 2 weeks in, he was sometimes afraid he wouldn't wake up in the morning. Woke up with his truck stalled on railroad tracks or burning his breaks up coming down a mountain side etc.. Swift deserves having a horrible reputation. The miles most truck driving companies pay you are direct miles (think if a bird flew from Chicago to KC as opposed to driving through Saint Louis). Many Swift drivers who reside in out of the way areas such as Minnesota and Washington state rarely saw home (I think one complained he had been out for 6 months and I think that was intentional). There can be decent local routes you can switch over to after 6 months, or just switch to a better carrier then. It's common for truck drivers to not stay at one place too long initially. My dad was lucky with his dispatcher and worked out of Kansas City so it was easy to get home, even though I recall many Christmas's where he wasn't sure he'd make it. Once you have experience it's not hard to get a local dedicated route, or if you're lucky JB Hunt dedicated pays decently and you may be able to find one right off the bat and never be otr (they used to sit a lot). I can't say what the good companies are anymore but west coast is a lot easier and lower stress than east coast. I know hauling irregular loads or car hauling (needs exp first) can make you decent money.

Hey, quick question,

I live on the southeast coast,,, I was wondering why trucking was easier on the west coast vs east coast.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

xnmmi in Lancaster, California

32 months ago

best "salaries" for a cdl driver = food service delivery driver. however most aren't "salaried" per se. For example some union food service drivers make an easy $62k/ year, many make in the $80k range. But you will earn it in food service delivery

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sibleydelouis in Milford, Massachusetts

32 months ago

Jerry in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Swift is ok but doesn't always train everybody the way they should. I went with TMC. Great company, and look to make between 40 and 46k just starting, and after 6 months you have the opportunity to make 60,000+. And your home 46/52 weekends a year and only go 600 miles from home. Besides that you get to take the truck home with you... Does swift do that??? More money and more home time, make the choice...

Are You serious Going to swift O my God Swift is a joke
You have Have 14 days of hell cramming your Brain You can't drink coffy On the first day or the second day Swift is A boot camp From hell And You start school at 7 am End of the day is 5 pm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sibleydelouis in Milford, Massachusetts

32 months ago

Thay cram you brain For 14 day
You can't do anything except study study
Not much Time for sleep Or Eat You share a room with 2 other Guy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

sumo in Birmingham, Alabama

28 months ago

I am trying to start cdl school but im not sure who to go with now....i was thinking swift but not anymore. i want to drive dry vans or refer...im also VERY concerned with the pay because i cant really get a good understanding....if u make .30cpm n u drive 1000 miles then thats only $300!!!! is that the only pay u get or is there an hourly pay plus milage or a salary percetage plus milage? and who do u think would b the best company to start with?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Garrett

28 months ago

You can make upwards of $80k through $100k a year with a CDL in the Bakken oilfields easy. I've heard of some guys pushing close to $200k after a few years up here. Check with www.jobsnd.com and www.dakotaoiljobs.com for truck driving jobs. Most companies do want 2 years driving experience due to the winter weather driving conditions up here in North Dakota (blizzards, ice etc). Try to get housing secured first, you can't live in your vehicle up here in the middle of winter, it gets too cold.

ivcdawg in El Centro, California

28 months ago

sumo in Birmingham, Alabama said: I am trying to start cdl school but im not sure who to go with now....i was thinking swift but not anymore. i want to drive dry vans or refer...im also VERY concerned with the pay because i cant really get a good understanding....if u make .30cpm n u drive 1000 miles then thats only $300!!!! is that the only pay u get or is there an hourly pay plus milage or a salary percetage plus milage? and who do u think would b the best company to start with?

I am new in the truck driving business but I will tell you when you Google this industry looking for reviews, advice, or info about various companies (Swift, CR England, etc.) you get mostly negative reviews telling you this and telling you that. Truth be told in any industry the majority of people who take the time to leave a review are COMPLAINERS. You don't hear much positive. I found the companies' FB pages had a lot of positive reviews from actual truckers. Like anything take it with a grain of salt.

Two things you need to know if you are going into trucking (and Youtube is your friend to help you do your research):

1) You don't go into trucking for pay. The pay sucks. Recruiters may tell you that you will make $1,000 per week your first year. Chances are the recruiter is lying. More like $300-$450 per week BEFORE taxes. Just the fact of it. You have to earn your stripes so the pay sucks at first.

2) You will LIVE in your truck more days then you are home. I don't care what recruiters tell you: for every seven days on the road you'll be home one. That is true but usually you are on the road 2-3 weeks at a time before you come home.

I agree with Garrett in that the money is with the oil fields. That is my goal. But like Garett said you won't get there without experience. What a trucker told me when I called him for advice was to hang with it for minimal 1 year but better 2 or 3.

Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Sibleydelouis in Milford, Massachusetts said: Thay cram you brain For 14 day
You can't do anything except study study
Not much Time for sleep Or Eat You share a room with 2 other Guy

Depending on what company you go with this might be different. I'm going with Swift and they put 6 guys in a 2 bedroom place. You are charged $500 for living in addition to your CDL School cost but Swift deducts a certain amount every pay check to pay them back as they front the bill for you. Not too shabby. You pay for your DOT Physical ($75) and the CDL Permit. Nothing much other then that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Sibleydelouis in Milford, Massachusetts said: Are You serious Going to swift O my God Swift is a joke
You have Have 14 days of hell cramming your Brain You can't drink coffy On the first day or the second day Swift is A boot camp From hell And You start school at 7 am End of the day is 5 pm

Actually you start school at 6am and conclude at 4pm. And no it's not a joke. This is a career. If you want easy work go flip burgers at McDonalds (no offense to anyone who works there). When you drive a tank on the road chances are you will do more damage to anyone you hit then they you due to your stupidity. Trucking is a serious matter. You go to school to learn and apply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

QueenB80 in Dallas, Texas

27 months ago

Sibleydelouis in Milford, Massachusetts said: Are You serious Going to swift O my God Swift is a joke

Aww man! I just got my CDL permit yesterday and already had Swift lined up to go to. I even emailed my recruiter yesterday to let him know this. I'm suppose to get everything set up this morning. In a few hours, to be exact. I know its not gonna be easy, but I don't want to be taken advantage of either. Pray for me! Lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

sumo in Birmingham, Alabama said: I am trying to start cdl school but im not sure who to go with now....i was thinking swift but not anymore. i want to drive dry vans or refer...im also VERY concerned with the pay because i cant really get a good understanding....if u make .30cpm n u drive 1000 miles then thats only $300!!!! is that the only pay u get or is there an hourly pay plus milage or a salary percetage plus milage? and who do u think would b the best company to start with?

I'm suppose to start CDL school next week and I had Swift all lined up to do. Now, I'm sure either. Who did you decide to go with?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

ivcdawg in El Centro, California said: I am new in the truck driving business but I will tell you when you Google this industry looking for reviews, advice, or info about various companies (Swift, CR England, etc.) you get mostly negative reviews telling you this and telling you that. I found the companies' FB pages had a lot of positive reviews from actual truckers. Like anything take it with a grain of salt.
Two things you need to know if you are going into trucking (and Youtube is your friend to help you do your research):

1) You don't go into trucking for pay. The pay sucks. Recruiters may tell you that you will make $1,000 per week your first year. Chances are the recruiter is lying. More like $300-$450 per week BEFORE taxes. Just the fact of it. You have to earn your stripes so the pay sucks at first.
2) You will LIVE in your truck more days then you are home. I don't care what recruiters tell you: for every seven days on the road you'll be home one. That is true but usually you are on the road 2-3 weeks at a time before you come home. I agree with Garrett in that the money is with the oil fields. That is my goal. But like Garett said you won't get there without experience. What a trucker told me when I called him for advice was to hang with it for minimal 1 year but better 2 or 3.
Hope this helps.

This helped me. Seeing how I have done all the paperwork with Swift and am suppose to call my recruiter later this morning to get started next week! LOL Geesh! I know its gonna be hard. But seeing how my husband divorced me for my ex friend and put me out and I can't find work to save my life and I have no home anyway, I'll take it. Maybe do it, 2 or 3 yrs and then do something local or regional to be closer to my kids. I was kinda frustrated, But this is something I'm prepared to do to start over

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

ivcdawg in El Centro, California said: Depending on what company you go with this might be different. I'm going with Swift and they put 6 guys in a 2 bedroom place. You are charged $500 for living in addition to your CDL School cost but Swift deducts a certain amount every pay check to pay them back as they front the bill for you. Not too shabby. You pay for your DOT Physical ($75) and the CDL Permit. Nothing much other then that.

Okay... I'm a woman. I'm suppose to start school with Swift in the next 4 to 11 days at the most. I hope that situation does not count for me. Lol! No way in hell, I'm rooming with men. #IJS

keithakr in Satellite Beach, Florida

18 months ago

jr standridge in Satellite Provider said: LOL you can smell recruiter all over this post. And I will tell you that finding a recruiter that will tell you the truth is like winning the lottery. Been out here since '89, never worked for them, but will tell ANYONE this, talk to the drivers in PERSON at truck stops. Only way to really know how they company is. Sites like this are good to get a idea what's wrong but remember this, how many satisfied people go looking for a site to report bad comments just to say something good? FACTS if thinking of being a OTR driver . Long hours(no way to do it without it), being lied to by your company (if they told you the truth all the time you would quit right off), lower pay than 20 years ago (yes rates are up but miles are down at almost all companies, you can be promised .40 cpm but if you only run 2000 mi a week that's nothing). Poor health (eat good at a truck stop? Not when your living off the .99 menu most of the time. Exercise ? Always too tired or frustrated Blood pressure? Just wait till any week day between 3-7pm anywhere near Atlanta GA). I could go on but no one listens lol.

I am thinking of starting a CDL school with Truck Driving Institute in Sanford, FL. They seem to have a very good relationship with Stevens Transport. I would appreciate any real comments about both companies as well as advice (i.e., do I need to move to get a better job?

keithakr in Satellite Beach, Florida

18 months ago

I am signed up to start CDL school with Truck Driver Institute in Sanford, FL. They seem to have a recruiting relationship with Stevens Transport.

I would appreciate any comments about either company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ameliajwilson@sbcglobal.net in Chicago, Illinois

18 months ago

Host said: Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

I didn't have any skills except for 6 wks at school. Then I drove for Roehl,Schneider and us express. Make it simple. Don't think and listen to the good drivers. At around the 6 month point of my driving it felt like I was driving my pick up. I know at first it's very exciting and scary at the same time. I found schiender had very good drivers and was a great company to work for. Roehl too. I drove teams. More money because your truck never stops. My average pay with no break downs and good runs. Like California to Maine was 700 to 750.00 perweek by putting in 4500 to 6000 miles per week. Miles are guaranteed. Just put your time in and look at tankers. Good money and you dont have to go over the road.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ameliajwilson@sbcglobal.net in Chicago, Illinois

18 months ago

keithakr in Satellite Beach, Florida said: I am signed up to start CDL school with Truck Driver Institute in Sanford, FL. They seem to have a recruiting relationship with Stevens Transport.

I would appreciate any comments about either company.

Look at Schneider or Roehl good companys

Kkrumpy1@gmail.com in Kingston, Jamaica

8 months ago

some trucking company management should be ashamed of themselves. how the hell do they sleep at nights?
DRIVERS DONT BE AFRAID TO TELL TRUCKING COMPANIES THAT TREAT DRIVERS
LIKE BULLdodo THAT THEY ARE A NATIONAL DISGRACE TO THE TRUCKING INDUSTRY. DONT HESTITATE TO LOOK WORK ELSE WHERE. MIGHT BE, IT IS THE
OLD TIME SLAVERY MENTALITY THAT THEIR FOREFATHERS HANDED DOWNN TO THEM, WHY SOME OF THESE COMPANIES USE AND ABUSE DRIVERS LIKE THAT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Been there, and still there in Homeland, California

7 months ago

williamhbonnie in Cleveland, Ohio said: i was so pumped up to b a trucker ... i was goin to my community college to b trained ... i planed on working alot but bein home at least a few times a month and making good money ... but i think i dnt kno who to believe ... im a try it out and c whats whats

I retired from my own business and decided that I wanted to buy an RV, well its back to work. Could not find anything in the field I retired from so went back to trucking.

To renew my "A" license I went to C R England.
Should have gone to a community college. I spent six months (veteran preference) to pay off the schooling and net about $2000.00.

No one wanted a '6' month driver, finally got Swift to work with me so I could be home most evenings. No I do not make a fortune, but should do 900 per week before taxes and no other deducts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.