What is the difference between a Registered Medical Assistant and a Certified Medical Assistant?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 289)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

celestial_kel in North Carolina

81 months ago

I am in school to become a medical assistant and I was wondering if it would be better to be certified or registered?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (467) / No (91) Reply - Report abuse

Emily hendricks in Antioch, Tennessee

80 months ago

DEANN JONES in Nashville, Tennessee said: I AM REGISTERED..THERE IS REALLY NO DIFFERENCE..I WAIT AND TAKE A TEST EVERY 3 MONTHS..THEY SEND YOU A BOOK AND ANS SHEET,SO THERE IS NO REASON TO FAIL.

hey your in nashville? how do you get registered?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

martyaforu in San Antonio, Texas

78 months ago

well, I can tell ya this...according to admissions at this one school I checked out, they totally make it sound like a medical assistant is in high demand, and they will assist you in getting a job ASAP {yeah whatever} they have a quota to meet, they just seem to wanna say whatever they can to get you signed up for classes.
There are very few MA jobs listed in my local newspaper at this time..the job market does suck,but you would think the medical field would be a stable career choice...
The ones that are listed ALL WANT AT LEAST 2 YEARS EXPERIENCE!
what's a girl to do??? sorry for sounding so negative, but after doing research in this field , after speaking to this admissions person...I felt really bummed, I felt lied to..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (96) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

PaulH in Kennesaw, Georgia

78 months ago

martyaforu in San Antonio, Texas said: well, I can tell ya this...according to admissions at this one school I checked out, they totally make it sound like a medical assistant is in high demand, and they will assist you in getting a job ASAP {yeah whatever} they have a quota to meet, they just seem to wanna say whatever they can to get you signed up for classes.
There are very few MA jobs listed in my local newspaper at this time..the job market does suck,but you would think the medical field would be a stable career choice...
what's a girl to do??? sorry for sounding so negative, but after doing research in this field , after speaking to this admissions person...I felt really bummed, I felt lied to..

Don't feel bad. I'm a 1992 Bryman graduate, with honors, and the best work I could find was a 2-year independent relationship with RediClinic as a screener, which job basically faded out. These schools are in business to teach you something, make a bunch of money, and toss you out in the street when they're done. They do not help students get jobs, unless it's just a circumstantial thing. My "placement" person basically combed thru the newspaper every day, which anyone else could have done. Occasionally, there were a few people that DID "happen" to get jobs, but most didn't.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

martyaforu in San Antonio, Texas said: well, I can tell ya this...according to admissions at this one school I checked out, they totally make it sound like a medical assistant is in high demand, and they will assist you in getting a job ASAP {yeah whatever} they have a quota to meet, they just seem to wanna say whatever they can to get you signed up for classes.

I forgot to speak to the "experience" aspect. I'm now seeing a demand for FIVE YEARS experience. Because of the market being flooded with MA's, good and terrible alike, the industry can be as choosy as it needs to be, preferring to hire LPN's or RN's, because of their higher degree of training, expertise, experience, and credentials. It's all in the credentials.

MA's WOULD BE a great asset, were it not for a handful of bad apples in years past.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

ME in Kansas City, Missouri said: At the school I teach at, when you graduate, you sit for the boards to become a NRCMA-Nationally Registered Certified Medical Assistant

Glad to see THAT ! Bryman would steer one in the right direction of the test, but the graduate really took care of everything needed apart from the school. If only they'd done things like you described !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Sweetcheeks in New York, New York said: LOL. You must have put in the WRONG job description. Certified/Registered Medical Assistants do NOT make anywhere near that much...not even in Long Island.

I'm living right here in the city (NYC) and a medical assistant, if they can find a job in the first place, can expect to start at about $12-18/hr AT MOST. That means anywhere from around 23-36k. If you add in overtime..it could possibly be more like 28-40k.

That ain't no MA gig ! Sweetcheeks is more correct.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

nubienquen in Norfolk, Virginia

78 months ago

Yes...because at the school that I attended when i pass my National exam/graduate and will be receiving my AS Degree my title will by a (Nationally Registered Certified Medical Assistant)which is a very big difference in pay and will make me very marketable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

nubienquen in Norfolk, Virginia

78 months ago

Deena Brown in Chicago, Illinois said: I think it would be helpful to do both usually the registered is easier to do because the test is usually given each month, but the certified is only done at certain times like i found out that you have to pay for that test 4 months before you can take it.

but there both the exacted same test!!! Registered/Certified...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lee Kelly in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

77 months ago

Can anyone tell me the difference between CMA and CCMA.

Certified Medical Assistant and Certified Clinical Medical Assistant?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (70) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

podunk69 in Kalamazoo, Michigan

77 months ago

nubienquen in Norfolk, Virginia said: but there both the exacted same test!!! Registered/Certified...

I was told by my instructor at my school that if u r registered you can only work
in the state you register in, but if u r certified it is national and you can work
any where in the usa.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

15yrsinthefield in Washington, New Jersey

76 months ago

I work in the ER for 7 yrs. I worked 911 responce I worked as a medical asst in TN. I got 14 hour I'm Great at being an Medical asst . But I have to get certified then getting my LPN and that starts at 28 an hour well one more yr of schoool.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Bladiie in Bayside, New York

76 months ago

15yrsinthefield in Washington, New Jersey said: I live in bergen county 10 minutes fron NY

Trust me. You aren't going to be paid $28/hr to start as an LPN. NYC pays way more and they don't even start at that wage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

crybaby in Winnsboro, South Carolina

75 months ago

I became a Medical Assistant in 2004 and started working at a local hospital as a Unit Sec. Just to get my feet in the door. In the medical field you have to crawl before you walk!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Midnightangel in Dayton, Ohio

75 months ago

I'm a Ceritified MA here and there are very few MA jobs here too. I feel I was lied too also by my school. I was also told that being Ceritifed makes it were you can practice anywhere in the country is that true??Or was that a lie too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

britni in Killeen, Texas

75 months ago

to become a LPN can i just get a degree in that or should i get one as a MA and then go for LPN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Walter in Harpswell, Maine

74 months ago

Your reply is one a jerk would make. Shame on you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

mmt4 in Albuquerque, New Mexico

74 months ago

britni in Killeen, Texas said: to become a LPN can i just get a degree in that or should i get one as a MA and then go for LPN

Britni if you can go straight to LPN school and that is definitely what you want, do not go to MA school first.

There is no need for it if you want to be a LPN. The two jobs are very different though so make sure of what you want before you enroll.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lucy in Waxhaw, North Carolina

74 months ago

It's a tough market no matter where you are. CMA's don't have the same training that CNA's have and Nurses have a combination of both plus some. The common ground is that we all do what we do for a reason and I think in our own ways got there just by our caring nature. I certainly respect Nurses and the hard work they did to get where they are but I also respect the Certified Nursing Assistants and the Certified Medical Assistants like me starting out and looking forward to building a career. Best of luck all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in Bessemer, Alabama

74 months ago

I have been an MA only for about 1 1/2 yrs. I just got laid off anout 3 mo ago. And I'm havin a hard time finding a job like everyone else, but I have noticed that alot of the ads I see only want CMA's. How do I go about getting certified? Can you study for it? Is it hard? My school never said that I needed to get certified. Is the pay better or something? And obviously their are more job opportunities if your certified. And I also don't really understand the difference between being certified or registerd. Any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ashley

74 months ago

celestial_kel in North Carolina said: I am in school to become a medical assistant and I was wondering if it would be better to be certified or registered?

registered is for only in state if you decide to move it dont go with you. certified you take once a yr n its national im certified and it looks better when applying for jobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ashley

74 months ago

Sandy in Bessemer, Alabama said: I have been an MA only for about 1 1/2 yrs. I just got laid off anout 3 mo ago. And I'm havin a hard time finding a job like everyone else, but I have noticed that alot of the ads I see only want CMA's. How do I go about getting certified? Can you study for it? Is it hard? My school never said that I needed to get certified. Is the pay better or something? And obviously their are more job opportunities if your certified. And I also don't really understand the difference between being certified or registerd. Any advice?

go on ncct.com that the nation certification site im not sure if u can take it online theres a number to call to find out where to take it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chemy ma in Chattanooga, Tennessee

74 months ago

I would like to know what is the pay difference for certified ma's,and registered ma's?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

tracy in Corpus Christi, Texas

73 months ago

is the practice test the actual test you take online

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Sue in Nashville, Tennessee

72 months ago

It's better to be certified then registered. In the medical field empolyers don't want to see you take the easier way out and get registered.I know it's hard out there and going to apply for a job you really need to have the upper hand. You never know who may also be applying for the same job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

julca in Bartlett, Illinois

72 months ago

Which course is better to take, Medical Assistant or Medical office assistant? What's the different? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

paul in Brooklyn, New York

72 months ago

by the way medical assistant are in high demand in NYC and Nj in NY if you are certified and work in the hospital you will be making around 15 to 17 I gust now 18 dollar per hour all depend of your education too cause you can nedve compare a degree with a certificate i you take a degree in mdical assistant the credit are good to transfer to Rn andnot only that that you degree in apply to science is reconice see the diference why because a apply to science have liberal art and science and wont be dificult to enter into the community college but if you take medical assistant with a Associate degree Occupational it will be good too but the credit only will be good for other college and the credit cannot be tranfer to Rn because dont have liberal art.and about the caahep hospital on this date are looking for your national certification like Bramson ort college in ny you will guet certified in the same school because the college is reconige by NY State dept of education. well to all futur medical assistant good luck and God bless you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

paul in Brooklyn, New York

72 months ago

BY the way I forguet also to say that you will be making with Associate degree apply to science 28 to 30 dollar a hour in a hospital.MEDICAL Assistant Apply TO science DEGREE.not certificate. certificate in hospital 17 to 22 only hospitals.in NYC ONLY I dont know other State.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Miami, Florida

72 months ago

yes I went to school for Medical assisting, was outstanding in my classes. received an Associate of Science. passed for Registered Certified Medical Assistant. graduated 4 months, I feel also I was lied to. in my area in south florida if you cannot speak spanish, no one hires you. They are also looking for 2 years plus experience. I say where do I get experience, if I am not given a chance to prove my self. My family was so proud, now my say they will not attend college because in south florida you have to be billingual spanish for most jobs. Come on people this is an English speaking country why should I be pushed out of the running if I am not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tay in Aliquippa, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

i want to know, what is the difference between a medical assistant and a medical assistant technician, because im going to school to be an MA and my friend is going to be a MAT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

sweetchi71 in Chicago, Illinois

72 months ago

DEANN JONES in Nashville, Tennessee said: I AM REGISTERED..THERE IS REALLY NO DIFFERENCE..I WAIT AND TAKE A TEST EVERY 3 MONTHS..THEY SEND YOU A BOOK AND ANS SHEET,SO THERE IS NO REASON TO FAIL.

Where we can take the test for Certified as a CMA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

tracylford in corpus christi, Texas

72 months ago

Is your certification book from NCCT National Center for Competency Testing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jhonaline Aurigui in South San Francisco, California

72 months ago

You're not the only one that feels discouraged, I already finished my course in medical assisting at my school and they "promised" to help me look for a job but instead it seems that "helping" is actually just being a motivator and giving sites. yes i know sites are helpful but what i want is a call from them saying they faxed my resume to an office who's hiring. It really is a job looking for a job. Good Luck to you in finding one and I wish you all the best!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

You need to go to www.ncctinc.com its the only test that is excepted any where in the USA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sandy in Katy, Texas

72 months ago

Hi there,

Did you graduate from Bryman here in Houston? I thought the school is out of business for the longest time. Let me know, because I went there back in the 90's and now I am thinking of persuing the same field.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

No Southwest Business School, is this sandy ford

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

HuzHe?! in Portland, Oregon

71 months ago

Oh man! Some of this is discouraging. I'm doing my intern at a podiatrist clinic. I'm getting an MA degree. Just trying to get my foot in the door. Hopefully my conections from inside the local hospitals will bless me. If I didn't know anyone in the game I'd be sick from what I read!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ruthncls in Springfield, Missouri

71 months ago

shronda in Gainesville, Florida said: I feel you on that because I went to school for two years and I can not find a job. Everywhere I have applied to you need to two years or more experience. And yes they say it's in high demand but I haven't been able to find anything yet. I'm not going to give up but it's getting very hard

I'm having a hard time, too. I graduated in 2007, and took the AMT's registration exam in June of this year. I've had five interviews in two months, but not one called back to offer me a job. I was one of those at the top of my class too. I'm an older student, so going back to school for me was like going out on a limb. Wish now I'd went to a public community college, instead of a "career school".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rmarrsgrapevine in Grapevine, Texas

70 months ago

britni in Killeen, Texas said: to become a LPN can i just get a degree in that or should i get one as a MA and then go for LPN

go for lpn its actually lvn and ma is 10 months and lvn is 1 yr and more money u dont have to do ma school if u want to be a nurse we discussed this in school today. Dont waist 10 months when u could be done in ayear.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

kathy in Clyde, Ohio

70 months ago

Medical assisting school is a waste of time and money GO TO NURSING SCHOOL!! I live in ohio and i only make 10.00 /hr as a medical assistant/phlebotomist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

meez in Haslett, Michigan

70 months ago

nubienquen in Norfolk, Virginia said: Yes...because at the school that I attended when i pass my National exam/graduate and will be receiving my AS Degree my title will by a (Nationally Registered Certified Medical Assistant)which is a very big difference in pay and will make me very marketable.

no.. i have mine too..same pay range 12-15/hr if lucky.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

meez in Haslett, Michigan

70 months ago

i have same NRCMA and in MI. 12/15 an hour with 13 yrs experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ashley in ottawa in Lawrence, Kansas

69 months ago

Does anyone have anything good to say about being a CMA? I graduate in March and am at the top of my class. We have an extership that we go through, and I really like my school. But after reading all this, I am really worried about getting a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mad CMA in Covington, Georgia

69 months ago

PaulH in Kennesaw, Georgia said: Don't feel bad. I'm a 1992 Bryman graduate, with honors, and the best work I could find was a 2-year independent relationship with RediClinic as a screener, which job basically faded out. These schools are in business to teach you something, make a bunch of money, and toss you out in the street when they're done. They do not help students get jobs, unless it's just a circumstantial thing. My "placement" person basically combed thru the newspaper every day, which anyone else could have done. Occasionally, there were a few people that DID "happen" to get jobs, but most didn't.

I am glad to know that there are others out there that are going through the same thing I have found to the same as myself. I graduated from a school who stated their job placement was in the 90% to get their students placed. I have an associates degree and I am National Certified MA. Still UNEMPLOYED. I was sent to a job interview they sent me to that pays $8.50 an hour what a joke. Noone can pay bills with this kind of pay. I am not the only one from the school I attended that cannot even get a extern site much less get place in a career site. All they are all about quote to get ANYONE that will sign up sign them up. Take their money and run when it comes time to place them in their careers. If everyone that has posted here is going to the same school we all might need to research this a little bit further and make a stand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

mad CMA in Covington, Georgia said: I am glad to know that there are others out there that are going through the same thing I have found to the same as myself. I graduated from a school who stated their job placement was in the 90% to get their students placed. I have an associates degree and I am National Certified MA. Still UNEMPLOYED. I was sent to a job interview they sent me to that pays $8.50 an hour what a joke. Noone can pay bills with this kind of pay. I am not the only one from the school I attended that cannot even get a extern site much less get place in a career site. All they are all about quote to get ANYONE that will sign up sign them up. Take their money and run when it comes time to place them in their careers. If everyone that has posted here is going to the same school we all might need to research this a little bit further and make a stand.

Sorry the interview I went on was not even for MA it was for CNAs to make matters worse. What are we going to do when a school promises the world and gives only a county?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

PaulH in Kennesaw, Georgia said: Don't feel bad. I'm a 1992 Bryman graduate, with honors, and the best work I could find was a 2-year independent relationship with RediClinic as a screener, which job basically faded out. These schools are in business to teach you something, make a bunch of money, and toss you out in the street when they're done. They do not help students get jobs, unless it's just a circumstantial thing. My "placement" person basically combed thru the newspaper every day, which anyone else could have done. Occasionally, there were a few people that DID "happen" to get jobs, but most didn't.

I am glad to know that there are others out there that are going through the same thing I have found to the same as myself. I graduated from a school who stated their job placement was in the 90% to get their students placed. I have an associates degree and I am National Certified MA. Still UNEMPLOYED. I was sent to a job interview they sent me to that pays $8.50 an hour what a joke not to note that this position was not for MA but for CNA. Thats not what I went to school for. Noone can pay bills with this kind of pay. I am not the only one from the school I attended that cannot even get a extern site much less get place in a career site. All they are all about quote to get ANYONE that will sign up sign them up. Take their money and run when it comes time to place them in their careers. If everyone that has posted here is going to the same school we all might need to research this a little bit further and make a stand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in White River Junction, Vermont

69 months ago

I know EXACTLY how you feel!!!! I graduated in June and have yet to find anything...everyone wants experience and most of the places I applied to never even acknowleged my application. I had a 4.0 GPA, I thought I had it made. Most of the others in my class aren't working, either, and the school has been no help at all...We also discovered that while the school is accredited, the AAMA doesn't accept their accrediting bodies...they want different ones, so we can't take the AAMA certification exams. GRRRRRRRR.....the whole thing seems like a huge waste of time and money right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Tracy in White River Junction, Vermont said: I know EXACTLY how you feel!!!! I graduated in June and have yet to find anything...everyone wants experience and most of the places I applied to never even acknowleged my application. I had a 4.0 GPA, I thought I had it made. Most of the others in my class aren't working, either, and the school has been no help at all...We also discovered that while the school is accredited, the AAMA doesn't accept their accrediting bodies...they want different ones, so we can't take the AAMA certification exams. GRRRRRRRR.....the whole thing seems like a huge waste of time and money right now.

I took the CMA test through the school online through NCCT for $90.00 and once filing out an application the reply was they could not find were I had taken the test to prove I was certified. Can anyone tell me what school you may be referring to there might be a contection here and we need to take a stand. There is no need to pay for something so expensive for nothing!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

ashley in ottawa in Lawrence, Kansas said: Does anyone have anything good to say about being a CMA? I graduate in March and am at the top of my class. We have an extership that we go through, and I really like my school. But after reading all this, I am really worried about getting a job.

You should be unless you went to a different school than the one I am referring to. It makes me sick to know I was ambassador never missed days of classes on the deans list went in early to help and left late. On the average I was at the school for 11 hours to help those who needed help and what do I get in return. NO JOB think about it. Sorry Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Be careful in Hayden, Idaho

69 months ago

There are only two associations that the American Medical Association (AMA) recognizes as proper bodies to certify or register medical assistants. These are the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) and American Technologists (AMT). The AAMA certifies therefore you become a CMA, and the AMT registers so you become an RMA. You can check out wikipedia article on medical assistants for more information. Also check out the AMA website for information about medical assistants. The AAMA only accepts programs that have been certified by either ABHES or CAAHEP, while AMT will also standard accredited colleges and universities, mostly state schools. I believe AMT will also accept 5 years experience. States can register, certify, or license beyond this but usually only for things like x-ray or giving shots.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.