medical assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 127)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

betty in Boynton Beach, Florida

97 months ago

How much do a medical assistant make hourly?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (735) / No (126) Reply - Report abuse

Kristina Johnson in Dallas, Texas

96 months ago

i was just wondering how much a medical assistant make a hour with no experience

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (405) / No (76) Reply - Report abuse

Janellia in Charlotte, North Carolina

96 months ago

I have no experience I'm about to go into the field and later try to get my certification. I was wondering before I get my certification how much should I make. I would like to know after I get my certification how much will I make.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (280) / No (48) Reply - Report abuse

TA in Pooler, Georgia

80 months ago

I would definitely recommend taking your national certification exam through the American Medical Assisting Association (AAMA). When I graduated from an accredited medical assisting program in Wichita, KS I started working for $10.00/hour. After one year of experience I received a pay increase to $11.00 an hour. I am currently working in Savannah, GA at a doctor's clinic making $11.00/hour with 1.5 years of experience. Being certified also motivates you to continue learning because you need to obtain 60 hours of CEU's every 5 years to renew your certification. I also think that it is a good idea to take the exam as soon as possible after graduation. I hope this information has been helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ME in Kansas City, Missouri

79 months ago

Kristina Johnson in Dallas, Texas said: i was just wondering how much a medical assistant make a hour with no experience

here in Kansas and Missouri for sure no less than $10.00/hr. I turned down several jobs less than that. I make 13.56 an hour and I love my job! I bought a house when i first started on 10/hr

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

ME in Kansas City, Missouri

79 months ago

Besides, anyone that wants GOOD help, will pay good money. Crappy help crappy money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

:) in Rockland, Massachusetts

79 months ago

I graduated with an MA certificate last June and I'm currently certified through the AAMA. I was hired before I had even got my test results from the certification exam and my starting pay was 14$ hr. (Massachusetts)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ms.tweety in Kansas City, Missouri

79 months ago

Where did you go to school and where are you working @ hospital or Dr.'s office?

ME in Kansas City, Missouri said: Besides, anyone that wants GOOD help, will pay good money. Crappy help crappy money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

:) in Rockland, Massachusetts

79 months ago

Ms.tweety in Kansas City, Missouri said: Where did you go to school and where are you working @ hospital or Dr.'s office?

community college & dr's office

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Missy in Houston, Texas

79 months ago

ME in Kansas City, Missouri said: I went to Pinnacle Career Institute and I also teach MA there. Right now I work at St Lukes as a PCT but I chose to work there for the 3-12 hr shifts. When I left the Dr's office I was making 10.25/hr, and they offered me $12 to stay, but i wanted to continue my schooling and they would not be flexible with my schedule, otherwise I would jump at the chance to go back and work at the Dr's office! I loved it!..But at the hospital, i still draw blood, do EKG's, vitals. The key is you have to prove yourself to these people that you are an awesome employee and they may not pay much at first but they sure will pay to keep good, hard working employee. I wasnt afraid to turn down any job less than $10/hr when I first graduated. The key in the interview is to be confident and happy! They don't want to see people who are grumpy or flighty in an interview or you'll never get hired. So I make $15.56/hr at the hospital and $16 hr PT teaching!

Is there also a Pinnacle Career Institue in the Houston Area?
I think I might have seen it online somewhere, but I wasnt sure if it was legit.

Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ME in Independence, Missouri

79 months ago

Missy in Houston, Texas said: Is there also a Pinnacle Career Institue in the Houston Area?
I think I might have seen it online somewhere, but I wasnt sure if it was legit.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know if there is or not. But let me be realistic-I've read from alot of people that they are mad because they just graduated and haven't found jobs yet. It took me 4 months to get a job after school. I did temp jobs, PRN at my externship site, And yes, places will hire you with less than 1 or 2 yrs experience. The Nurse practioner that hired me on told me-"you don't need 2 yrs of experience for me to know if you can do this job. I'll know within 6 months." Sometimes, you just need someone to give you a chance. Also there are some Dr's who want fresh blood because they can mold you and you don't have bad habits yet. So stay confident! Just remember, in these hard economic times, every body is suffering-even in the medical field-people out of jobs=no insurance. no insurance=can afford to see a Dr. or go to the hospital. When there are less patients=less need for help. It's frustrating I know, but as we got out of this "recession" we are working towards, things will get better!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Missy in Houston, Texas

79 months ago

ME in Independence, Missouri said: I don't know if there is or not. But let me be realistic-I've read from alot of people that they are mad because they just graduated and haven't found jobs yet. It took me 4 months to get a job after school. I did temp jobs, PRN at my externship site, And yes, places will hire you with less than 1 or 2 yrs experience. The Nurse practioner that hired me on told me-"you don't need 2 yrs of experience for me to know if you can do this job. I'll know within 6 months." Sometimes, you just need someone to give you a chance. Also there are some Dr's who want fresh blood because they can mold you and you don't have bad habits yet. So stay confident! Just remember, in these hard economic times, every body is suffering-even in the medical field-people out of jobs=no insurance. no insurance=can afford to see a Dr. or go to the hospital. When there are less patients=less need for help. It's frustrating I know, but as we got out of this "recession" we are working towards, things will get better!

Thanks for your response.
I have also heard that it may take some time for a fresh MA grad to get a job, and that the pay might suck, but with a 1-2 years experience it can go up. So just like with any job, your dues have to be paid. I have also family members tell me that being a MA and doing a good job for a doctor can lead to networking between doctors. Dont know how much of that is true, but doesnt seem too wild and crazy of an idea.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

isa2gabbie in Columbia, South Carolina

79 months ago

I am taking an online class and am almost done. I was wondering what should I do to get some expreience in the field so I can get a job that pays better then what I am making at my crampy job right now. I am excited to see the light at the end of this tunnel but I am worried that I have no experience in the field and will not get hired somewhere. What do I do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

isa2gabbie in Columbia, South Carolina

79 months ago

I just wanted to add that I have liked taking my class online I am a single mother of 2 girls and work full time and only had time for a class that I could do when I had time. So I would recommend online for people who have focus and really want it. It is very hard work and trust me I have had my momments that I have been like I am tired and just don't feel like it but I did it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

mrs.wilson

78 months ago

I am starting school for medical assistanting i wanted to know how much they make and is it really hard work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Edwin Acosta in Ridgewood, New York

78 months ago

It depends, I am in the field over twelve years that I have
made 23 dollars hour with an physician with whom I worked
for for seven straight years. But look for around 10-13
dollars to start depending on where you live.
It is alway an excellent idea to get Certified (STATE)
as a Medical Assistant or better yet get Registered.
I am a certified medical assistant and a nationally
registered Phlebotomist. The best thingg to do is
learn as much as you can in a medical office, probe
the doctor for as much medical information, before you know it
he/she will be letting you remove sutures, running CBC
on the Beckham Coulter MAchines, etc. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Edwin Acosta in Ridgewood, New York

78 months ago

Hello Lisha C.

Thank you for your comments. The way I got registered as
a Phlebotomist is thru American Medical Technologists (AMT)
It is a nationally recognized organization that provides
testing and accreditation for us (Medical Assistants and
Laboratory Technicians etc.) Their Web site is www.amt1.com
Their is a yearly due (47 dollars)for which you will receive
literature (monthly) on all sorts of medical topics, very, very
interesting and great for Continuing credits towards being
a RMA. They provide testing all over the United States, often coming to the actual school(s) sometimes three times a year.
It is defeintely worth it to get accredited right after
graduation, Looks excellent on the old resume and it can mean a few extra dollars on the hourly rate.

Best of luck, keep asking asking, keep learning, learning and
nothing beats hands on experience, so concentrate on getting a
hands on externship and question the doctors, most times they will be happy to teach you things.
Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Edwin A. CMA/RPT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mrs.wilson

78 months ago

does anyone no how much a medical assistant make in atlanta atarting out

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

medicalheadhunter@gmail.com in Miami, Florida

78 months ago

Contact medicalheadhunter@gmail.com to set up an interview.

Title: Medical Laboratory Technologists - NY

Description –

Lab Technologists Needed For The following specialties:

- Hematology

- Chemistry

- Microbiology

- Transfusion Medicine

- Toxicology

- Histotechnologist

- Special Chemistry

- Generalist

PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:

- This position is accountable to perform laboratory procedures and evaluations in order to assist physicians in diagnosis and to provide quality patient care.

- The incumbent in this position will support the mission, vision, values and strategic initiatives of our Health Care Facility and must demonstrate a commitment to quality service to patients, physicians, the public and co-workers.

- One to two years relevant experience preferred.

Demonstrated ability to perform listed duties.

BS in Medical Technology or related science required.

NY Medical Technologist License Required

ASCP Certification Preferred

Excellent technical skills. Good communication and organizational skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tinika in Greensboro, North Carolina

77 months ago

Edwin Acosta in Bronx, New York said: The best advice that can be given to a Recent
Med. Asst. Graduate is to get your
National Certifications as a Med. Asst and
as a Registered Phlebotomist. Pay scales
can start off as low as $10/hour to as high
as $23.50 which is what I was making at a private clinic. Of course I was removing
sutures, giving injections, charting
patients Medical histories and was in charge
of all needed clinical supplies.These duties and salary can only come with experience, so if you are patient and diligent and proficient in all Med. Asst. functions the upper limits of salary can be reached
which is around $24/hour nationally.
Someone with over 4 years overall experience can expect to earn between $15 and $17/hour.

Good luck to all,andGET Nationally CERTIFIED.

You mentioned getting registered as a phlebotomist, was this additional training that you took or was this included in your training to be a certified medical assistant?

Tinika in Greensboro, North Carolina

77 months ago

Tinika in Greensboro, North Carolina said: You mentioned getting registered as a phlebotomist, was this additional training that you took or was this included in your training to be a certified medical assistant?

FYI (I found the answer to my own question) From what I've been told, you are trained in phlebotomy as a part of your medical assistant training...you can then go on to get registered as a phlebotomist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

deb23holcombe in Stockton, California

73 months ago

Tinika in Greensboro, North Carolina said: You mentioned getting registered as a phlebotomist, was this additional training that you took or was this included in your training to be a certified medical assistant?

is this postion still available? please email me at deb23holcombe@yahoo.com. im a certified medical assistant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

edwin in Brooklyn, New York

73 months ago

Tinka,

Yes it was an additional (not training) but something in
additon to the Medical Assisting certificate ones receives after
training, consider it as sorta of like a speciality (Phlebotomist)
just as doctors do when they finish their basic physician training
they can get specialized in different fields, so can Medical
Asst. Endoscopy Tech, etc

Neeka in Charlotte, North Carolina

73 months ago

Janellia in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I have no experience I'm about to go into the field and later try to get my certification. I was wondering before I get my certification how much should I make. I would like to know after I get my certification how much will I make.

I live in Charlotte too & I'm going to Central Piedmont now and I've heard from people in the field that work for Carolinas and Presbyterian that we'd most likely start out around $12 an hour. With certification. We won't get a job around here without one. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SassyHeather in Fredericksburg, Virginia

73 months ago

Missy in Houston, Texas said: Thanks for your response.
I have also heard that it may take some time for a fresh MA grad to get a job, and that the pay might suck, but with a 1-2 years experience it can go up. So just like with any job, your dues have to be paid. I have also family members tell me that being a MA and doing a good job for a doctor can lead to networking between doctors. Dont know how much of that is true, but doesnt seem too wild and crazy of an idea.

I graduated in 08 from a MA class and I was told to put your externship in your resume under works exp and that has helped me out alot too. Yeah I am unemployed but I did get hired and worked 3 months then the doctor decided to move down to flordia! So I ahve been unemployed since oct 08!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany in Charlotte, North Carolina

71 months ago

The info everyone place is very helpful I live in charlotte, and plan on going to ecpi to become an medical assistant. I've heard mix things about ecpi. Would I be better of going to a community college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Maria

71 months ago

Do not wait! Take your certification now! It may not make a difference in your pay, but it can make a difference whether you get a job or not, especially right out of school! The school i went to and now teach at, offers the certification as part of the tuition, it's only 65$ and you should take it now! Don't wait!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany in Charlotte, North Carolina

71 months ago

Okay. Thanks for the feed back

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Neeka in Charlotte, North Carolina

71 months ago

Tiffany you'd definitely be better off going to a community college. I have talked to hiring managers and MANY of them say that they do not like to hire ECPI girls because they are not well taught. Central Piedmont is really good and has you prepared when you get out. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nikki in Greensboro, North Carolina

71 months ago

Tiffany, I am in the Medical Assisting program at ECPI in Greensboro. I hear a lot of people say a lot of bad things about the school, but I can tell you first hand that it is a really good program. The program is a fast track program so it takes less time to complete. If you go to community college it will take you over 2 years, at ECPI we graduate with an Associates degree in 14 months. People seem to think that our instructors leave stuff out to make up for the short amount of time in each class....Not the case. We have to work that much harder due to the limited amount of time. Besides, ask yourself this question, if we are not taught anything at our school how are the MA's passing their certifications test? We have a very high average of students passing and landing jobs in the industry. We also go through a 5 week externship where we work in a medical office to increase our hands on skills. This also presents a good network opp and many of the students end up working for the company they externed with. No one will spoon feed you the information. You will have to study and study hard. And maybe those girls that Neeka was referring to were just slackers who did not work hard and just expected things to be handed to them. Its not for everyone b/c it is hard work, but you should go out to the school and speak with someone from both schools before you make a decision based on hearsay. I hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Nikki in Greensboro, North Carolina

71 months ago

isa2gabbie in Columbia, South Carolina said: I just wanted to add that I have liked taking my class online I am a single mother of 2 girls and work full time and only had time for a class that I could do when I had time. So I would recommend online for people who have focus and really want it. It is very hard work and trust me I have had my momments that I have been like I am tired and just don't feel like it but I did it.

How are you practicing all of your clinical skills like how to give an injection, how to remove sutures, how to draw blood if your taking your courses online?

Hunter12 in Phoenix, Arizona

70 months ago

Are there any seasoned MA's in the Scottsdale AZ area looking for a sweet job opportunity?

Nika in Charlotte, North Carolina

70 months ago

Edwin Acosta in Ridgewood, New York said: Hello Lisha C.

Thank you for your comments. The way I got registered as
a Phlebotomist is thru American Medical Technologists (AMT)
It is a nationally recognized organization that provides
testing and accreditation for us (Medical Assistants and
Laboratory Technicians etc.) Their Web site is www.amt1.com
Their is a yearly due (47 dollars)for which you will receive
literature (monthly) on all sorts of medical topics, very, very
interesting and great for Continuing credits towards being
a RMA. They provide testing all over the United States, often coming to the actual school(s) sometimes three times a year.
It is defeintely worth it to get accredited right after
graduation, Looks excellent on the old resume and it can mean a few extra dollars on the hourly rate.

Best of luck, keep asking asking, keep learning, learning and
nothing beats hands on experience, so concentrate on getting a
hands on externship and question the doctors, most times they will be happy to teach you things.
Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Edwin A. CMA/RPT

So is the amt a reconized school, and if I started with them I wouldn't have a problem trying to find work? How do you do your clinicals? I am so excited for the info you have given me about them.....

Edwin Acosta in Montrose, New York

70 months ago

Hello,

No, AMT (American Medical Technologists) is not a school

but a recognized credentializing organization.

After you complete your classroom hours and your
clinical externship and you want to sit for your
national credentials, (Registered Phlebotomist,
Certified/Regsitered Medical Assistant, etc)
then (depends on where you take the test's)
The American Medical Tehcnologists is the organization
that gives you (provided you pass their test)
the credentials that can be presented nationallly
and holds more water than yur certificate oof completion
from your Medical Assistant School. Definitely
worth it, as employers sometimes specifically ask for
a "Certified" or "Registered" medical assistant/
Phlebotomist.

Hope this helps (AMT has a web site)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

3 weeks to go in Marietta, Georgia

70 months ago

I'm graduating Medical Assisting school in a month and I'm trying to figure out what kind of Dr.'s office I want to work in. At first I was very interested in an Internal Medicine office because of all the skills you get to use such as EKGs and Venipuncture. Any suggestions out there as to which offices pay the most and which ones enable you to use the most out of the skills you've obtained in school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Edwin Acosta in Montrose, New York

70 months ago

I would suggest a "Family Practice Office" where
the physician(s) see patients from Womb to Tomb
so to speak. This type of office deals with
pediatrics, teenagers, adults and geriatric
patients, this will give the most experience
for different types of settings and the
required data collection from the Med. Asst.
it can also provide a steping off point
into the type of practice/doctor you want to
work with. The specialists are always (I have
found to be the most generous as far as
compensation goes but it depends, length
of time with a particular doctor, your
ongoing certifications etc all counts towards
a excellent basic pay rate $17/per hour
and upwards. Hope above helps.

3 weeks to go in Smyrna, Georgia

70 months ago

Yes, very helpful thanks. I was under the impression from others that Family Practices arn't able to pay their employees what is deserved because of the fact that they eccept patients with government low income based insurance. i do think that I would be open to seeing all kinds of cases which is really what I'm looking for.

pleeeseee in Cleveland, Ohio

69 months ago

Why would any one hire a medical assistant--certified or not---for $23 an hour when that is the starting wage for a new RN in most places! Medical assistants are used as a cost cutting measure and the ones I have encountered are not very bright! I would rather see a hospital full of licensed nurses (RN and LPN) then unlicensed MA's that have no accountability for their actions!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

Lacy

69 months ago

WOW. Most of the medical assistants that you have encountered
are not very bright...I can't even begin to tell you how ignorant you sound which is ironic because you appear to think so highly of your own exsistance on this earth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

steven just do it in Peekskill, New York

69 months ago

This not the forum your "unwarranted critquue" of a very unique
and helpful Allied Health position within the healthcare profession.
Obviously you are a very bitter person, perhaps an RN or LPN who
has not lived up to potential. In reqards to the the $23/hour
this was attained after several years of hard and dedicated work
alongside a skilled Internist and Surgeon. From statistics
nationwide worthwhile RN's are defintely paid more
than $23/hour to start, unless of course their Degree is from
some "Internet College". Get a life my friend, and recognize
that a good/experienced Medical Assistant are worth just as
much as the DIVA's (degreeded LPN's. RN's) in most settings.

Edwin A. From New York CITY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Hunter12 in Mesa, Arizona

69 months ago

A good Tech is hard to find. I have been doing this for over 30 years now and am probably the highest paid MA in the US. I also manage my practice but it is the combination of good MA skills and ability to extend my physician's capabilities that makes me valuable. Many RN's ask for high pay yet provide much less in terms of patient care and performing work they feel is "beneath" them. Those of you debating this as a career need to realize there are big possibilities for you doing what you love, caring for people. I am also offended by the earlier comment yet realize it is made from inexperience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Edwin A in Peekskill, New York

69 months ago

pleeeseee in Cleveland, Ohio said: Why would any one hire a medical assistant--certified or not---for $23 an hour when that is the starting wage for a new RN in most places! Medical assistants are used as a cost cutting measure and the ones I have encountered are not very bright! I would rather see a hospital full of licensed nurses (RN and LPN) then unlicensed MA's that have no accountability for their actions!

Listen,, PLeeesee In Cleveland, Ohio, It appears that you are
a very very bitter and perhaps an underpaid LPN/RN who just does
not seem to be making it and is inclined to make unwarranted
critique's in this forum. Medical Assistants can obtain (I did)
Liability Insurance just as well as LPN/RN's can and I have run
across LPN//RN's that could not take a medical history to save
their own life let own someone else's. Also Perhaps if you ventured
into the BIG CITY and were undaunted in your resolve to become
the very best at what you do, instead of accepting perhaps
less than $23/hour that an experienced/fully accredited Medical
Assistant can and does make, maybe then you can make the type of
remarks that you have made. I have seen LPN/RN's absolutely
BUTCHER a patient's arms during rountine venipuncture's and
ultimely I, a lowly medical assistant has to perform this
essential part of medical care. Or I have also seen a LPN
get comletely baffled by a simple Spirometry test analyzer,
I have perfomed Comphrensive Pulmonary Function Testing
wiith Aterial Bloood Gases which I was allowed to performed
in the presence of course off the respiratory therapist
and doctor who subsequently looked for me to perform
continous Comphrensive Pulmonary Function Testing
So get off your HIGH horse
my friend and realize that a complete and professional Medical
Assistant is a force to be reckoned with.

Edwin A. CMA/RPT
since 1994

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Edwin, You make many very valid comments. I was originally an Air Force Independent Duty Technician. Because we operate under the Federal Umbrella, we are able to perform a much broader scope of practice than a civilian MA. I used to independently care, Dx, and Tx. ptients in the absence of any other medical professionals and also was trained to perform lab techniques such as CBC's, gram stains, etc usin rudimentary tools such as a hemocytometer and a microscope. I also performed dental procedures, veterinary procedures (we had working dogs on our remote bases), food inspections, etc... As a civilian MA now, I am working with a doc that I worked with in the service so she knows my abilities. I operate under the civilian scope of practice but am able to provide a history that will usually lead to a quick Dx and can perform any of the clinical procedures she requests without having to hire ancillary staff. Along with this, I obtained my BSM and am completing my MBA to assit in the administrative part of the clinic. MA's are valuable and can be worth more than a single nurse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

PS...not bitter...just honest! I know longer have to put up with MA's...our doctors had them banned from our hospitals when they found out they were working under their medical license!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

RMA in Clarksville, Tennessee

69 months ago

Edwin Acosta in Bronx, New York said: The best advice that can be given to a Recent
Med. Asst. Graduate is to get your
National Certifications as a Med. Asst and
as a Registered Phlebotomist . Pay scales
can start off as low as $10/hour to as high
as $23.50 which is what I was making at a private clinic. Of course I was removing
sutures, giving injections, charting
patients Medical histories and was in charge
of all needed clinical supplies.These duties and salary can only come with experience, so if you are patient and diligent and proficient in all Med. Asst. functions the upper limits of salary can be reached
which is around $24/hour nationally.
Someone with over 4 years overall experience can expect to earn between $15 and $17/hour.

Good luck to all,andGET Nationally CERTIFIED.

Hi Edwin,
I'm in TN and our salaries aren't that high up but I'm in the 15area which is great for here. I was wondering how to go about getting the pleb registry? Where would I go to see about that. I've been doing this since 97 so also have a few years under my belt. I've been registered the entire time and also have a diploma as pharm tech but never wanted to work in it.
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

RMA in Clarksville, Tennessee

69 months ago

lisha in Toledo, Ohio said: all the MA advice is great, I'm currently half-way through MA school, so thanks for the heads up everyone. Does anyone, currently working in the field, suggest taking additional courses to add to MA schooling that may help in being offered more money?

YES do a degree program and not just a diploma. More money

steven just do it in Peekskill, New York

69 months ago

TO PLeeeaaassee In Ohio,
If you read the rest of the comments that were
offered in referenced to your DIVA-LIKE
coments critizing MA's you will see that
you are incorrect in your moronic view
of qualified/educated certified
Medical Assistant's. No more needs to be
said. These comments written by
other Medical Assistant's just proves my point,
that you are probably just a bitter
LPN or RN who thinks the world revolves
around HER/HIM and is perhaps underpaid.
I apologize for all the other Medical
Assistant's Phlebotomist's, Technician's
who were subjected to your narrow narrow
views of an essential healthcare team\member.

Edwin A.\Certified Medical Assistant
Registered Phlebotomist/Malpracticed insured
to $3.5 Million, Assosciate's Degreed in
Medical Assisting since 1994.

Gooodbye and please do not use this
forum for your bitter and insecure views
because there are qualified healthcare
professionals who provide much needed
services and are not afraid to roll
up their sleeves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

So, Pleeeseee in Cleveland, you recommend that all MA's go out and become nurses. What schools do you recommend and do you feel a BSN is better than obtaining a 2 yr RN in terms of job satisfaction/potential? What school did you attend? How long have you been nursing and do you have any specialties? Can you qualify your staement; "A [professional healthcare provider] is one that is licensed..."? I have written a number of papers and have been published regarding the medical "profession" and what it means to be considered a "professional" and a license is only one form of professional recognition. Do you know what the other definitions require?

Lacy in Greensboro, North Carolina

69 months ago

I was not able to find one reference book that stipulated that ONLY a LICENSED individual could call themselves a "professional healthcare provider". However this is what I did find: Anyone who administers some type of healthcare to a patient can be deemed a "healthcare provider". In general, a professional healthcare provider is trained in some type of a healthcare role & will work in conjunction with other types of providers to bring about health & healing for people in their care. Along with doctors and nurses in the traditional medical facility; allied health professionals i.e., Medical Assistants, in addition to practitioners of alternative medical options ALSO qualify as healthcare providers. This means that people who are licensed as homeopathic physicians, chiropractors, and sometimes herbalists may be rightly identified as healthcare providers. (wisegeek.com) Healthcare Provider- Any individual who provides health services to health care consumers/patients. (answers.com)It would be wise of you to follow your own "recommendations" and pick up a book and read it. Better yet, why don't you enlighten us all by citing your references so that we can confirm your statements? You do know how to cite a reference don't you? Bottom line, it is not "unqualified" Medical Assistants that bring a bad name to the institution of medicine, it’s know it all loud mouths that are so unhappy with their own existence that unwittingly make unsubstantiated comments that cannot be validated that diminishes the credibility of our profession. And if we are only to be considered “nursing support in comparison to you…yet we are making around the same income…then which of the two would fit the “not that bright” category?

Edwin, I applaud you for your success and your professionalism.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Funny! I didn't say that I make $23 an hour...I said that a new nurse makes that. I have been a nurse for almost 10 years. I have my Masters in nursing. I am a CRNA. I make well over what any of you will ever see...and yes I do recommend that you go back to school and get your RN. There is a problem coming for all of you in the near future...because of the economy--many people have gone back to school--and one of the highest paying jobs with growth potential out there is...tahh dahh...NURSING! You all know as well as I do that MA's are hired during nursing shortages...thats just about to change! So...yes...get your butts back to school...BSN to start...and then and only then can you call yourself a PROFESSIONAL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.