medical assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 127 of 127)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

kcmo

55 months ago

Hey courtney,
I love being a medical assistant, and I also teach, so I have been on both sides. Medical assisting,provided u have a good instructor, is a very rewarding job. Yes, it is expensive, as all career colleges are, but as with anything, you get out of it what you put into it. It is expensive because they will accept most anyone, whereas rn school goes through a screening process. Trust me, being an instructor I wish there was better screening. When choosing a school, make sure you pick one that has great accreditation, and one that does a lot of hands on practice. And beware of any school that says they will find you a job-most places have career services who will help u with your resumes and give you job leads, you still have to be professional, show up on time and do your interviews. No one will just "give" you a job. Good luck!

Courtney Wittich in Nashville, Tennessee said: Hi! I want to become a medical assistant because I am very interested in the medical career and the program length is very short. I also like the idea that I can work part-time because I want to mostly be a stay-at-home mom. I am not very career driven and I just want a job that can keep me busy and let me help and comfort people in difficult times. I do not have to worry about money thanks to my wonderful, hard working husband. However, I've been reading this forum and it seems like most people regret getting a MA diploma or degree. Is it worth it? Also, is a diploma just as useful as a medical assistant associates degree? I don't know if the school I'm interested in trying to scam me and if it's overpriced. It's called Genesis Career College in Nashville, Tennessee. Would it be safer to get an associate's degree? I know I have a lot of questions and if you can answer any of them I would be so appreciative! I am just trying to listen to God, but I have a lot of worries. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

red35 in Greensboro, North Carolina

54 months ago

Tiffany in Charlotte, North Carolina said: The info everyone place is very helpful I live in charlotte, and plan on going to ecpi to become an medical assistant. I've heard mix things about ecpi. Would I be better of going to a community college.

I live in Greensboro NC and there is a ECPI here, but from my understanding it is cheaper to go to a community college. It is very expensive going to ECPI because it is a private college and I was going to go there years ago but I didn't like the way they handle business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

debbles in Kansas City, Missouri

51 months ago

ME in Kansas City, Missouri said: here in Kansas and Missouri for sure no less than $10.00/hr. I turned down several jobs less than that. I make 13.56 an hour and I love my job! I bought a house when i first started on 10/hr

i live in midtown kc. im starting work at an in home health care company and also starting my medical assistant course. what places do you reccomend me going to after im finnished with school? can i start out at 10 an hour off the flip?

liz in Horsham, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

Edwin Acosta in Ridgewood, New York said: Hello Lisha C.

Thank you for your comments. The way I got registered as
a Phlebotomist is thru American Medical Technologists (AMT)
It is a nationally recognized organization that provides
testing and accreditation for us (Medical Assistants and
Laboratory Technicians etc.) Their Web site is www.amt1.com
Their is a yearly due (47 dollars)for which you will receive
literature (monthly) on all sorts of medical topics, very, very
interesting and great for Continuing credits towards being
a RMA. They provide testing all over the United States, often coming to the actual school(s) sometimes three times a year.
It is defeintely worth it to get accredited right after
graduation, Looks excellent on the old resume and it can mean a few extra dollars on the hourly rate.

Best of luck, keep asking asking, keep learning, learning and
nothing beats hands on experience, so concentrate on getting a
hands on externship and question the doctors, most times they will be happy to teach you things.
Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Edwin A. CMA/RPT

I its been hard for me to find another job. where im from. How to get back in the field

liz in Horsham, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

ME in Kansas City, Missouri said: I went to Pinnacle Career Institute and I also teach MA there. Right now I work at St Lukes as a PCT but I chose to work there for the 3-12 hr shifts. When I left the Dr's office I was making 10.25/hr, and they offered me $12 to stay, but i wanted to continue my schooling and they would not be flexible with my schedule, otherwise I would jump at the chance to go back and work at the Dr's office! I loved it!..But at the hospital, i still draw blood, do EKG's, vitals. The key is you have to prove yourself to these people that you are an awesome employee and they may not pay much at first but they sure will pay to keep good, hard working employee. I wasnt afraid to turn down any job less than $10/hr when I first graduated. The key in the interview is to be confident and happy! They don't want to see people who are grumpy or flighty in an interview or you'll never get hired. So I make $15.56/hr at the hospital and $16 hr PT teaching!

i dont have alot experience im rma, and hadnt work in field in 3 years. I tried to find jobs but less experience stresses me out, and want to move to kansas city.

Ruth in Springfield, Missouri

49 months ago

pissed off in West Des Moines, Iowa said: I want to get the word out about anyone whose thinking about attending Vatterott College. I just graduated from their program a few months ago. The teachers and staff sucked, they didn't work with me or help me out. I have a diploma in medical assisting but require more training. I learned more at the messed up intership they placed me at, than i did at the school. I was too far in my program to quit. I wished I would have went to dmacc, but they had a two year waiting list, and i didn't want to wait. I just found a data entry job working for a good company that's starting me out with $13 per hour. I would strongly recomend going to a community college.

Your story sounds similar to mine. I felt when I graduated, I needed more training.

RMA in Orlando, Florida

49 months ago

I'm currently not working but I have the associates degree in medical assisting and you always learn more hands on once your out there than you do in school. That is just the way it goes and you get trained so you have a starting point but also you will have to learn from there. When I started out 10 years ago I knew nothing going into a Drs office. I started at $7 and worked my way upto 14.20 was the last job I had. Depending on where you live that may not be very much but you just have to start low and work your way up. Don't give up hope or get too frustrated. Put yourself out there and be the best you can be. Eager to learn, never saying it's not my job and not afraid to tell potential employers that you are without experience but you make that up in being a very fast learner and a team player and you will start anywhere they give you a chance to shine. :o)

nursegirl

49 months ago

ME in Kansas City, Missouri said: I LOVE being a medical assistant AND medical assistant instructor!

Hello,
I wanted to ask you what you had to do to end up teaching MA. I am going to start school next week for MA and was thinking of teaching also? What additional classes or work experience do you need?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nursegirl

49 months ago

pleeeseee in Cleveland, Ohio said: PS...not bitter...just honest! I know longer have to put up with MA's...our doctors had them banned from our hospitals when they found out they were working under their medical license!

I highly doubt that. If that was truly the case then might as well get rid of the CNA because they work under the LPN/RN license... Oh wait that would mean that the LPN/RN who are bad and lazy would have to actually take care of there patients. Heaven forbid a patient may have to go to the bathroom, then who would they run around looking for 10 mins (while making the patient's left waiting and in some cases has an accident) so they can ask a CNA to do it. How bad does it make the team look. Most importantly how does that make the patient feel. How unprofessional it is and uncaring to the patient when you did learn it in school, it is part of your job and it is your patient. Note to all, i have worked with some really awesome LPN/RN that go above and beyond and something as simple as bathing or toileting a patient is not beneath them and a part of the job as it is. So I would defiantly not knock them.On the other hand there are some that are and should never have been in any line of work that requires patient care period. We all have an important role in a patients health care. There are terrible CNA, MA, LPN and RN but for every bad one I believe there is a good one. We need to work together, treat each other with respect and focus on the patient and their care. That is the most important.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kiara-Bay-B in Charlotte, North Carolina

48 months ago

Tiffany in Charlotte, North Carolina said: The info everyone place is very helpful I live in charlotte, and plan on going to ecpi to become an medical assistant. I've heard mix things about ecpi. Would I be better of going to a community college.

Hello. My name is Krystal. I stay in charlotte as well, and i go to southeastern institue of charlotte. I am too going for medical assisting. I would say go to a community college. schools like ecpi, (the one i attend), KAPALAN!, ect. ect.... they are way too much! it's way cheaper to go to a community college and get the samething for way less. i have a friend who attends cpcc in charlotte, and putting our two tuition statements together.... yea.... go to a community college. Ecpi, and Kapalan are the two most horrific schools, i ran int. Kapalan hounds you, like a bill collector does, and so does ecpi... like they have no students and they are just after ur money.

Kiara-Bay-B in Charlotte, North Carolina

48 months ago

Neeka in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Tiffany you'd definitely be better off going to a community college. I have talked to hiring managers and MANY of them say that they do not like to hire ECPI girls because they are not well taught. Central Piedmont is really good and has you prepared when you get out. Hope this helps.

Tiffany, Plz listen to Neeka.... she is right, and the cost is so much cheaper than ecpi. plus i have a friend who just go into the program at cpcc. the diploma is 1 year, the associates is 2 yrs... but it's optional if you wanna do the diploma or associates

coco in Mason, Ohio

47 months ago

How much would an MA be getting pay on a privately owned physicians office in Ohio, Cincinnati???? Im new to this state! Thank youuu

mariinca in Twentynine Palms, California

45 months ago

ALYNCH in Albemarle, North Carolina said: Hello,
I am currently in a MA program and I do it all online and when it is time for your clinicals you go to a hospital or to somewhere that will let you get your clinical hours. Just the same as if you were attending a ground campus.

what school? i am stick in a desert where there is no schools just hospitals i want to do the MA but cant find a school online all i found was MAA... some one HELP!

lala in Palm Coast, Florida

45 months ago

Linda in Jackson, Michigan said: I graduated May of 2009. I took the Certification on 8/22. I have been looking for work as a Medical Assistant since May, and I have been unlucky in finding a job in that field. I went on an Interview on 11/16, I was told that they did not hire CMAs and that I can come in as a Home Health Aid which only pays 7.50 to 8.00 Per hour. The CENA get paid 12.00 to 15.00 per hour. What I can not understand is the CENA only gose to school for three to six weeks. The Medical Assistant gose to school for two years. The LPN goes to school for one year and the RN two. The Medical Assistant is not considered in some cases.

Im a CNA and NO I did not go to school for 3-6 months. I went to school for a year long during my senior year of high school so yes I believe I deserve the pay I recieve.

jenn in Springfield, Massachusetts

43 months ago

where do you get paid more in a hospital or dr. office?

ValuableCMA in Madison, Indiana

41 months ago

pleeeseee in Cleveland, Ohio said: Why would any one hire a medical assistant--certified or not---for $23 an hour when that is the starting wage for a new RN in most places! Medical assistants are used as a cost cutting measure and the ones I have encountered are not very bright! I would rather see a hospital full of licensed nurses (RN and LPN) then unlicensed MA's that have no accountability for their actions!

Many of us have put ourselves through college while working full-time jobs in the time we aren't studying so I don't feel that it is your place to judge how much our salary should be. You are completely ignorant to the hard work, time and expense it takes just to graduate with this degree and to become certified. It is a very snobbish and insensitive comment that is just a sad attempt to underestimate the skills of a CMA and to belittle the entire profession! The list of responsibilities goes on and on without mentioning all of the snide remarks from people such as yourself that prefer to look down on others just to feel better about yourself and your profession, whatever that may be. We should all pray for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BarbieH in Hacienda Heights, California

38 months ago

pleeeseee in Cleveland, Ohio said: Why would any one hire a medical assistant --certified or not---for $23 an hour when that is the starting wage for a new RN in most places! Medical assistants are used as a cost cutting measure and the ones I have encountered are not very bright! I would rather see a hospital full of licensed nurses (RN and LPN) then unlicensed MA's that have no accountability for their actions!

Well first off I'm starting my CMA school next month so excited!!:)) just to let you know where I live washington Oregon state the start pay for new grad RN is starting 25$ CMA 13$-17.44$ LPN 20$ and just to say I can jump into my LPN I choose not to I want to gaine some type of experiance befor jumping into LPN and just to let you know an CMA does do some dutys that a CMA does and I've also seen job listing saying LPN or CMA do I guess if that is your apinion then there is ppl that look at it other wise and yes blah blah we all know LPN And RN make more then CMA and I'm note then sure that CMA is on her way to be an RN just saying

Sherri82 in SOUTHGATE, Michigan

36 months ago

I took the MA exam and now am Certified. I can say this; you can not study for this exam. I did study and to my surprise it is not black and white, either you know critical thinking or you don't. Good luck to all who are going to take the exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Letteria in High Point, North Carolina

35 months ago

Any idea what the salary range for a Bilingual (Spanish) NCMA is?

Ya1775 in Salt Lake City, Utah

31 months ago

ANGELIA in Miami, Florida said: well i have 2yrs exp and the best advice that i can give you is to take the exam to become certified right after you graduate the site you need is www.aama-ntl.org you can get all the paper work done and mailed out the next day that way you can start making more money right out of school Angie

Hi i have a question. Im starting medical assistant program at the end of the month i had a couple question about it tho, would i even be able to get a job as a medical assistant just having a diploma?

Ya1775 in West Jordan, Utah

31 months ago

Hi Everyone i have a question i will be starting medical assisting program at everest college at the end of the month, but i have some doubts about it. Would i even be able to get a job as a medical assitant after i finish the program with a diploma or would i need an associates degree to even get a job as a medical assistant please let me know? and how much does a medical assitant pay start of at?

Jules in Medford, Massachusetts

31 months ago

lisha in Toledo, Ohio said: all the MA advice is great, I'm currently half-way through MA school, so thanks for the heads up everyone. Does anyone, currently working in the field, suggest taking additional courses to add to MA schooling that may help in being offered more money?

Well friend, I will suggest Bunker HIll Community College, because they offer, MA, CNA and HHA all at ones and is worth it. It give you the choice to work in what ever you want. Hope this help you.

amber in Fort Dodge, Iowa

27 months ago

Courtney Wittich in Nashville, Tennessee said: Hi! I want to become a medical assistant because I am very interested in the medical career and the program length is very short. I also like the idea that I can work part-time because I want to mostly be a stay-at-home mom. I am not very career driven and I just want a job that can keep me busy and let me help and comfort people in difficult times. I do not have to worry about money thanks to my wonderful, hard working husband. However, I've been reading this forum and it seems like most people regret getting a MA diploma or degree. Is it worth it? Also, is a diploma just as useful as a medical assistant associates degree? I don't know if the school I'm interested in trying to scam me and if it's overpriced. It's called Genesis Career College in Nashville, Tennessee. Would it be safer to get an associate 's degree? I know I have a lot of questions and if you can answer any of them I would be so appreciative! I am just trying to listen to God, but I have a lot of worries. Thank you!

I would just take the 1 year diploma program. That is all you need to become certified with the AAMA.

amber in Fort Dodge, Iowa

27 months ago

BarbieH in Hacienda Heights, California said: Well first off I'm starting my CMA school next month so excited!!:)) just to let you know where I live washington Oregon state the start pay for new grad RN is starting 25$ CMA 13$-17.44$ LPN 20$ and just to say I can jump into my LPN I choose not to I want to gaine some type of experiance befor jumping into LPN and just to let you know an CMA does do some dutys that a CMA does and I've also seen job listing saying LPN or CMA do I guess if that is your apinion then there is ppl that look at it other wise and yes blah blah we all know LPN And RN make more then CMA and I'm note then sure that CMA is on her way to be an RN just saying

I totally agree with you. I am too going for CMA because I want to make sure I have some knowledge before I decide on the nursing program. Also where I am from the job postings are for CMA/LPN and the pay difference is only a couple dollars less.

Registered nurse practitioner in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

12 months ago

pleeeseee in Cleveland, Ohio said: PS...not bitter...just honest! I know longer have to put up with MA's...our doctors had them banned from our hospitals when they found out they were working under their medical license!

Get a life! Medical assistants do all the work RNs are too lazy to do. How rude are u? I can't stand holier than thou ppl like you. You are a bitter person. Obviously u feel the need to read other people down in order to make yourself feel important. Ignorant to say the least. Patients probably hate u because of your arrogance. FYI. Doctors can't ban anyone from a hospital. Most of the time doctors don't even run hospitals you moron!! Grow up.

taracreel

10 months ago

Ruth in Springfield, Missouri said: Your story sounds similar to mine. I felt when I graduated, I needed more training.

I feel the same way. I went to Vatterott in Oklahoma back in 2012 and I now live in Missouri and I can't find a job period. I have my CMA and if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

ruthncls in Springfield, Missouri

10 months ago

taracreel said: I feel the same way. I went to Vatterott in Oklahoma back in 2012 and I now live in Missouri and I can't find a job period. I have my CMA and if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Sadly, I gave up. I have been working as our Church Secretary for the past four years. I am 58 years old, and felt like no one was going to hire me even though I look younger than my age.
If you're still young, keep on the education wagon; more credentials won't hurt, but can only help. The only thing I really hate is having to pay back student loans.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.