Is it true cna is a very hard job?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Princess 100 in San Bernardino, California

43 months ago

I am trying to figure out if i should become a cna or a phlebotomist? i love helping people. i really need a job tho. but i know cna is in demand, and i herd in phelbotomy it is hard to land a job. so now im stuck. and i herd cna's do a lot of hard work. (which i am a hard worker), but i herd cna's have to clean the dead patients when they die. and that i dont know about. so how hard is cna work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

vamospatria@yahoo.com in Mamaroneck, New York

43 months ago

Hi, Princess! Never, ever & ever think about one thing, ( a job), is Hard and impossible! What I can see about You is: YOU LOVE TO HELP PEOPLE!. That means You Must be a CNA. DO NOT WORRY AND AFRAIND ABOUT GET THIS CHANCE. I am a CNA & Phlebotomyst-Ekg technician. my email is: vamospatria@yahoo.com feel free to contact me. Fernando.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

vamospatria@yahoo.com in Mamaroneck, New York said: Hi, Princess! Never, ever & ever think about one thing, ( a job), is Hard and impossible! What I can see about You is: YOU LOVE TO HELP PEOPLE!. That means You Must be a CNA. DO NOT WORRY AND AFRAIND ABOUT GET THIS CHANCE. I am a CNA & Phlebotomyst-Ekg technician. my email is: vamospatria@yahoo.com feel free to contact me. Fernando.

Thank you. i am just a little scared because i herd so may bad stories.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

OneJob Less in Podunk, Georgia

43 months ago

Princess 100 in San Bernardino, California said: Thank you. i am just a little scared because i herd so may bad stories.

Hello Princess:
Take this advice from a work in progress. While going to school for a BS in Biology, I worked as a CNA. I loved my patients and though the work is demanding upon your physical body, it is very rewarding. Having said all of that, I would not go to school for CNA. I would try my hand at phlebotomy first, while going to school for nursing, occupational therapy, physical therapy, med tech or any of the other allied health professions. Trust, me your pocket will thank you. Here is what most people don't tell you. The secret to getting a job that has a clinical rotation is to use the opportunity to work within the clinical setting to get a job there. Show up on time, prepared and ready to do all of the work that you possibly can. If you don't have good people skills, develop them. When your rotation ends, apply, apply, apply and don't be afraid to accept lower pay or work as a lab assistant. The experience will be worth it. Recently I went back to school for my second BS degree, one I should've earning the first time: Medical Technology. I made this mistake at my clinical site and lost an opportunity to work at my internship location after graduation. This has set me back, so take my advice, go for phlebotomy while going to school for something else as well. Don't limit yourself to just phlebotomy. I am sure that you are smart enough to further your education to higher levels.
To further answer your question, this is the question that I have learned to ask myself. 'What advice would my older self, nearing retirement, say to my younger self regarding my career and education?' Seriously explore what you as a 50 or 60 year old would say to a younger you, who is preparing to make life altering career choices. After all,no one can tell you what to do except you, so who better to ask...Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

thank you. i jus finished dental assistant school with striat a's , but i can not find a job in california. (due to bilingual) i want to be a counselor but i have a family and i really need a job. i am 20yrs old and i know i have a lot of time for schooling but i need money now. so yes i would be more intrested in phelbotomy but cna is in higher demand. so i might just have to use cna as a stepin stone untill i get where i need to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

dever in Atlanta, Georgia

41 months ago

Hi all - I'm a career changer interested in Occupational Therapy. I will start by taking classes at a local college. I was a TV producer and science classes scare me because I havn't taken any in over 20 years. What class(es) should I take first? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

brambleton in Washington, District of Columbia

41 months ago

dever in Atlanta, Georgia said: Hi all - I'm a career changer interested in Occupational Therapy. I will start by taking classes at a local college. I was a TV producer and science classes scare me because I havn't taken any in over 20 years. What class(es) should I take first? Thanks!

You are in the wrong forum. Try OT or occupational therapist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dever in Atlanta, Georgia

41 months ago

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

elopez in Saint Paul, Minnesota

41 months ago

To Answer your question, yes it is a hard job,I have been working as a cna for the past 6 years. I started out in a nursing home and now work at a hospital, in that time I have had to get one pearson ready for the morg. It wasnt something anyone wants to do, but someone's gotta do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sherri in KY in Cincinnati, Ohio

33 months ago

Princess 100 in San Bernardino, California said: I am trying to figure out if i should become a cna or a phlebotomist? i love helping people. i really need a job tho. but i know cna is in demand, and i herd in phelbotomy it is hard to land a job. so now im stuck. and i herd cna's do a lot of hard work. (which i am a hard worker), but i herd cna's have to clean the dead patients when they die. and that i dont know about. so how hard is cna work?

I am a CNA and find that the work is hard. I love to help people but keep in mind these people can not ration the way you do. It takes more patience than most people have. There is a lot of lifting and turning of those who are 200lbs because they are too weak to do it themselves. If you work in a nursing home you will have to tend to 12 or more people in your hall. I wish I knew how hard being a CNA truely was before I took the courses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

christina in Orlando, Florida

6 months ago

Princess 100 in San Bernardino, California said: I am trying to figure out if i should become a cna or a phlebotomist? i love helping people. i really need a job tho. but i know cna is in demand, and i herd in phelbotomy it is hard to land a job. so now im stuck. and i herd cna's do a lot of hard work. (which i am a hard worker), but i herd cna's have to clean the dead patients when they die. and that i dont know about. so how hard is cna work?

very very very hard work. Especially if working at a bad facility. I am also a hard worker but i am in school for something else. This type of work is becoming even harder with even more responsibility and no pay increase. Cleaning people, transferring, assisting with ADL's are not hard, it can tend to become annoying because of patients personality and whatnot. Some may be time consuming depending on the patient but that type of work is not difficult. What is stressful and difficult is lack of supplies, no communication between co workers or nurses, a large amount of work expected in a very short time frame. The inability to grow 8-10 arms. family members, excessive charting, and rude people. Everyone wanting everything at the same time. Stepping out of a room to retrieve something only for 15 call lights to be going off and you can't walk past them. Answering them all and then going back to your original room only to have a patient now file a complaint because you were not back in a "reasonable" amount of time. Overly sensitive staff, overly sensitive patients, rude loud obnoxious charge nurses, rude belittling fellow cna's, don, administrator, etc. Grievances, complaints, Ombudsman, abuse investigations, and basically a lot of things that can put your license on the line. If you have heavy patients that don't want to help do anything or can't help do anything. Your back may also be out of commission. Gd luck to you in your journey. If i knew the future i would have done phlebotomy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

christina in Orlando, Florida

6 months ago

christina in Orlando, Florida said: very very very hard work. Especially if working at a bad facility. I am also a hard worker but i am in school for something else. This type of work is becoming even harder with even more responsibility and no pay increase. Cleaning people, transferring, assisting with ADL's are not hard, it can tend to become annoying because of patients personality and whatnot. Some may be time consuming depending on the patient but that type of work is not difficult. What is stressful and difficult is lack of supplies, no communication between co workers or nurses, a large amount of work expected in a very short time frame. The inability to grow 8-10 arms. family members, excessive charting, and rude people. Everyone wanting everything at the same time. Stepping out of a room to retrieve something only for 15 call lights to be going off and you can't walk past them. Answering them all and then going back to your original room only to have a patient now file a complaint because you were not back in a "reasonable" amount of time. Overly sensitive staff, overly sensitive patients, rude loud obnoxious charge nurses, rude belittling fellow cna's, don, administrator, etc. Grievances, complaints, Ombudsman, abuse investigations, and basically a lot of things that can put your license on the line. If you have heavy patients that don't want to help do anything or can't help do anything. Your back may also be out of commission. Gd luck to you in your journey. If i knew the future i would have done phlebotomy.

p.s. the only 'rewarding' thing i have gotten out of cna work being one for 4 years is experience and meeting some cool co workers and some genuinely nice patients. There is nothing 'rewarding' about cleaning up defecation or urine. or other body parts or skin folds. What's rewarding is the word 'thank you or God bless you' and you rarely hear that except from like i said some genuinely nice patients. Those are not a dime a dozen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.