You've been warned.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Christina

43 months ago

If you enjoy...

...dealing with miserable, middle-aged, jealous, life-hating coworkers who complain all the time...

...working weird hours, like overnight shifts...

...putting up with combative patients who smack you around, knowing very well that you can't hit them back...

...busting your butt to get everything done, even doing extra work, and instead of being thanked, you get yelled at by the next shift/head nurse/administrator because one patient peed a little on herself...

...dealing with condescending, stupid visitors who always try to tell you how to do your job (and they don't even know CPR)...

...patients who have nothing better to do than sit on the call bell and ask you for stupid things (like a sandwich), knowing that you're busy and way behind...

...doing the job of the housekeeper, LPN, activities director, and yours all at once...

...lower paychecks than your friend's, who works at Wendy's...

...never having enough supplies, and getting yelled at by the administrators or not being able to do tasks quickly enough, even though they're supposed to provide supplies...

...idiots who never return back home in time, knowing that you can't stay past a certain time (home health)...

...cleaning up disgusting colostomy bags...

...having to work with prissy little girls in cute scrubs who think that their CNA license makes them important nurses (they are neither)...

...dealing with lazy "ghetto fabulous" coworkers who would rather talk on the phone to their baby daddies and talk about their fake nails and weaves...

...getting no respect from this embarassment of a job...

...then by all means, become a CNA. You've been warned. I put in my notice today, and I couldn't be happier. I'm leaving this trashy "profession" forever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

amelia in Palm Coast, Florida

43 months ago

You, Christina, have hit every single nail right on their heads. Spot on.

Granted, I don't mind some messy patients, and I can handle a few feisty ones, too. But when I'm forced to make them get out of bed/get dressed/get a shower/eat their breakfast/so on and so forth, that's when the frustration sets in. God forbid I allow the patients to retain their resident rights, lest the nurse on duty get pissy for not getting Mrs. Smith's shower done.

Of course, you don't have to tell me that the field sucks. Congratulations on escaping!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

maria in Colorado Springs, Colorado

43 months ago

dear christine. am in the mess. let me tell you. where i work i think is the prision. i never were .in jail. but you cannot. look at the nurse face. she s the holy crap. or give your opinion.because there is the door. or they said if you dont like it i have a bunch. of applications. we always work short 3 cnas for 52 residents. you thing this is right? i dont know what to do? am 56 yrs am feel like am working without. lite or any sun am always in the dark side. i understand you. and congratulations.to you. good luck. you reserv the best.------------maria

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

BabiieLOve88 in Blythe, California

43 months ago

Scary stuff. I'm a current cna student and you just gave me more inspiration than I had before to continue my nursing education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ave in Oceanside, California

42 months ago

I worked as home health aide and though I was making small wage (but certified CNA in my state makes $9/hr pretty much), my work was pleasant and relaxing... Quiet grandmas mostly, who needed little help, shopping/errand/companion/talking/watching soap opera with them. I think if you find a private client living in own home, you'll be much better off than in a facility. Myself, I'd be scared to work for facility, for reasons stated by OP... It's important to find the right niche. I know a few ladies who pretty much had been doing caregiving for over 10 years and they work for private clients and are allright. One of them even worked for famous heiress, so she was in a house in Beverly Hills, with a pool and everything... not too bad. One client I worked for was in the apartment right on the ocean and we spent 2 hours a day hanging out on a beach. You need to find the right clientelle!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

ps: Sometimes, you go to get the person who gives the cases out to "like you"...sometimes you got to give them a gift or something or do them a favor. The agency I worked for--my supervisor knew that I could be on call for her on my days off--say if someone failed to show up for work, she could count on me covering for that. She gave me good cases for regular work. One lady... I did absolutely nothing.... because she insisted to be independent. I just needed to be present in case she gets dizzy. I could study or exercise all day...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

ps: Sometimes, you go to get the person who gives the cases out to "like you"...sometimes you got to give them a gift or something or do them a favor. The agency I worked for--my supervisor knew that I could be on call for her on my days off--say if someone failed to show up for work, she could count on me covering for that. She gave me good cases for regular work. One lady... I did absolutely nothing.... because she insisted to be independent. I just needed to be present in case she gets dizzy. I could study or exercise all day...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

amelia in Palm Coast, Florida

41 months ago

So basically, Ave, you spent all your time watching stories with the elderly and doing leisure activities on their dime instead of...oh, I don't know...doing vital signs, toileting, ADLs?

You are a glorified babysitter, and nothing more. Do some real work and then get back to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.