looking to join a union

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (33)

amy in maine in Rochester, New York

59 months ago

I have been a cna for 7 years. I'm fed up with short staffing and poor quality from management. I would like to join a union for cna's, anyone got any thoughts on that? I can't seem to find much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (111) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

dgrine in Albuquerque, New Mexico

59 months ago

I too would like to know more about unions for cna's the way we are treated is unbeliveable

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EB in Kansas City, Missouri

58 months ago

I have been a CNA for about four years. I know we all feel the same way. We need better benefits, pay, more staff and overall better treatment. I'm sick of management getting away with mistreating their staff. Is there such a thing as a CNA union? If there isn't, maybe one needs to be started.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sherri of cocoa,fl. in Palm Bay, Florida

46 months ago

I WOULD LOVE FOR THE NURSING UNION ASK ALL CNA'S TO JOIN!I KNOW ALOT OF CNA'S WOULD JOIN IF THEY WOULD AT LEAST HELP US TO START OUR OWN UNION!!!THAT WOULD BE A HELL OF ALOT OF ASSISTANTS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sherri of cocoa,fl. in Palm Bay, Florida

46 months ago

amy in maine in Rochester, New York said: I have been a cna for 7 years. I'm fed up with short staffing and poor quality from management. I would like to join a union for cna's, anyone got any thoughts on that? I can't seem to find much.

MAYBE THE NURSES UNION COULD GUIDE ALL OF US IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION OF ORGANIZING A UNION FOR CNA'S OR JOINING THERE UNION,ONE THING I DON'T KNOW WHO TO CALL IN FLORIDA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

matt in Chicago, Illinois

44 months ago

anybody can form a union. the iww is a great resource... see www.iww.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

supertrucker

43 months ago

The Teamsters might be able to help you out? I am a former Teamster truck driver and I notice a lot of medical workers in Ohio and other areas are Teamsters. It just takes a petition with 50% or more of your workers signing it. I'd be awfully quiet about it if that is even possible until you get 50% to sign and you present it to the Teamsters Business Agent in your area. It may require more like 60% to sign though just to make it a solid case for an election for representation through the National Labor Relations Board. If you live in a right to work state noone has to join so it may make it tough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shelia cook in Dallas, Texas

38 months ago

I'm a CNA and PCT. HERE IN TEXAS CNA'S ARE THE LOWEST PAID STAFF. IF ANYONE WANTS TO HELP ME TO START A UNION. I'M READY TO GET STARTED. YOU CAN CONTACT ME A cookshelia_a@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nacho1mom in Daly City, California

35 months ago

Are the C.N.A.'s in San Francisco/Bay Area working in Acute care hospitals union, and what is that union? If they are, is there a "Union Scale" and how do I find it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

4spaniels in Tampa, Florida

35 months ago

supertrucker said: The Teamsters might be able to help you out? I am a former Teamster truck driver and I notice a lot of medical workers in Ohio and other areas are Teamsters. It just takes a petition with 50% or more of your workers signing it. I'd be awfully quiet about it if that is even possible until you get 50% to sign and you present it to the Teamsters Business Agent in your area. It may require more like 60% to sign though just to make it a solid case for an election for representation through the National Labor Relations Board. If you live in a right to work state noone has to join so it may make it tough.

This is really terrible. Every single one of the CNA's I work with will sign if given a chance. We are treated like a sweat shop operation with no real regard for the client's well being. The only thing the agencies care about is collecting the money and I have noticed lately they are paying lower and lower hourly rates to the new CNA's. This is getting worse and some of the CNA's are working over 100 hours a week to make enough money to live and that is not enough. The greed is shameful and really something has to be done because the economy is not getting any better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pfingar3@tampabay.rr.com in Tampa, Florida

31 months ago

Wow-this is great and I will spread the word to all of my very overworked and underpaid CNA friends!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

MOUNTAINLASSY in East Liverpool, Ohio

31 months ago

lIKE THE tEAMSTER SAID KEEP IT QUITE. YES GO UNION!! PLEASE SIGN MY PETITION.tHIS WILL CHANGE THE RATIOS OF CAREGIVER TO RESIDENT. wE ALL NEED MORE HELP. iT IS DANGEROUS TO WORK SHORT. gO TO: www.whitehouse.gov/petitions/petition/change-states-rights-set-number-health-care-HELP MAKE NURSING HOMES SAFER AND OUR JOBS EASIER!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

amy in maine in Rochester, New York said: I have been a cna for 7 years. I'm fed up with short staffing and poor quality from management. I would like to join a union for cna's, anyone got any thoughts on that? I can't seem to find much.

GET YOUR STEEL WORKERS UNION OR TEEMSTERS UNION OR A FOOD SERVICE UNION TO HELP. LOOK IN YOUR LOCL PHONEBOOK!!! gET PEOPLE TO SIGN MY PETITION TO MAKE OUR JOBS EASIER. IT WILL INCREASE THE RAQTIO OF AIDS TO RESIDENTS TO MAKE OUR JOBS EASIER .GO TO : www.whitehouse.gov/petitions/fb/petition/petition/change-states-rights-set-number-health-care-

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

EB in Kansas City, Missouri said: I have been a CNA for about four years. I know we all feel the same way. We need better benefits, pay, more staff and overall better treatment. I'm sick of management getting away with mistreating their staff. Is there such a thing as a CNA union? If . isn't, maybe one needs to be started.

PLEASE SIGN MY PETITION TO CHANGE STATE'S RIGHTS TO SET NUMBER OF AIDS TO RESIDENT. WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH HELP. THIS WILL OPEN UP THOUSANDS OF JOBS. GET THIS STARTEDIN YOUR AREA1 GO TO; www.whitehouse.gov/petitions/fb/petition/petition/change-states-rights-set-number-health-care-workers-

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

FIND A STEELWORKERS UNION OR TEEMSTERS OR FOOD SERVICE UNION LISTED IN YOUR AREA PHONEBOOK. GO UNIONPLEASE SIGN MY PETITION TO CHANGE STATE RIGHT TO SET THE NUMBER OF AIDS TO RESIDENTS OR PATIENTS. THIS IS UNSAFE AND DANGEROUS FOR ALL. GO TO : https:www.whitehouse.gov/petitions/fb/petition/petition/change-states-rights-rights-set-number-health-care-worker

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tina in Olathe, Kansas

29 months ago

Today oyr D.O.N put out a board in the office to everyont ot see called Tht Wall Of Shame on our work and nurses wtih our names on it and our work.. she also pulled a cns and a nurse aside to prove a point in front of a family memeber of a resident... I think she could handle this more professionally but she is addment on making us feel like crap and tells us it's a learning experince.. It's upsetting to all of us on how she is approaching this.. What to do? We can't go to HR os Admin because they din't care and have her back as well as corpprate. We are all walking on eggshells..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

0What she did was unethical. This is not how you handle a bad situation. If she was unhappy with your work she should have held an in-service to instruct you as to how to do it the way she wanted.The way she did it, made the entire home look bad. Iam for hireing more help in nursing homes not criticizing because most homes understaff. Go to: Change.org then to health then to recent and sign my petition to get the PRESIDENT TO CHANGE STATES RIGHT TO SET RATIOS OF RESIDENT TO AIDS. Please get friends to sign and pass it on. We need to have a say in how many aids in nursing homes!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

The lst petition didn't fly because not to many people saw it SO HERE IS A NEW ONE ON CHANGE.ORG. PETITIONS>health> recent> To the PRESIDENT CHANGE STATES RIGHTS TO SET THE RATIO OF RESIDENT TO AID RATIOS. PASS ON . GET THINGS CHANGED IN NURSING HOMES . PUT PEOPLE TO WORK!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

GO TO CHANGE.ORG UNDER PETITIONS>health >recent> To THE PRESIDENT CHANGE STATES RIGHT TO SET RATIO OF RESIDENT TO AIDS. wE NEED HELP IN NURSING HOMES AND MOST STATES LET MANAGEMENT SAY HOW MANY WORKERS THEY WANT AND THEY WON'T HIRE ENOUGH HELP!!!!!PASS ON

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

EB in Kansas City, Missouri said: I have been a CNA for about four years. I know we all feel the same way. We need better benefits, pay, more staff and overall better treatment. I'm sick of management getting away with mistreating their staff. Is there such a thing as a CNA union? If there isn't, maybe one needs to be started.

mOST STATES DO NOT HAVE STATUTES CONCERNING STAFFING AND THAT' WHY CORPORATE CAN GET AWAY WITH UNDERSTAFFING. THESTNA AND CNAS NEED TO HAVE A SAY IN HOW MANY ARE ON THE FLOOR HELPING NOT JUST MANAGEMENT OR NURSES.GO TO: CHANGE.ORG.>PETITIONS>HEALTH>recent>TO THE PRESIDENT CHANGE STATES RIGHTS TO SET RESIDENT TO AID RATIO AND SIGN. PLEASE PASS ON!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

EB in Kansas City, Missouri said: I have been a CNA for about four years. I know we all feel the same way. We need better benefits, pay, more staff and overall better treatment. I'm sick of management getting away with mistreating their staff. Is there such a thing as a CNA union? If there isn't, maybe one needs to be started.

mOST STATES DO NOT HAVE STATUTES CONCERNING STAFFING AND THAT' WHY CORPORATE CAN GET AWAY WITH UNDERSTAFFING. THESTNA AND CNAS NEED TO HAVE A SAY IN HOW MANY ARE ON THE FLOOR HELPING NOT JUST MANAGEMENT OR NURSES.GO TO: CHANGE.ORG.>PETITIONS>HEALTH>recent>TO THE PRESIDENT CHANGE STATES RIGHTS TO SET RESIDENT TO AID RATIO AND SIGN. PLEASE PASS ON!!!!

29 months ago

dgrine in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: I too would like to know more about unions for cna's the way we are treated is unbeliveable

We tried to get a union in. Corporate will try to eliminate those favorable to a union one by one so keep it quiet and make sure you all hange togher watching each others back. I is hard but do it. Go to my petition on CHANGE.ORG>PETITIONS>HEALTH>recent>TO THE PRESIDENT TO CHANGE STATES RIGHTS TO SET RESIDENT TO AID RATIOS. PLEASE SIGN AND PASS ON. THANK YOU!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

pfingar3@tampabay.rr.com in Tampa, Florida said: Wow-this is great and I will spread the word to all of my very overworked and underpaid CNA friends!!

new petition on CHANGE.ORG.petitions>recent>TO THE PRESIDENT CHANGE STATES RIGHTS TO SET RESIENT TO AID RATIOS. PLEASE SIGN AND PASS IT ON!!!! We CNA'S need to have a say in how many aids in nursing homes not just management. This will put people to work and make nursing homes safer. Talk this site and forum up. Get people talking!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

GO TO: CHANGE.ORG.>petitions>health>recent>TO THE PRESIDENT CHANGE STATES RIGHTS TO SET RATIOS OF RESIENT TO AID RATIOS. We need to have a say in how many aids we need on the floor not just management. PLEASE SIGN AND PASS ON!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

HAN in Port Arthur, Texas

29 months ago

shelia cook in Dallas, Texas said: I'm a CNA and PCT. HERE IN TEXAS CNA'S ARE THE LOWEST PAID STAFF. IF ANYONE WANTS TO HELP ME TO START A UNION. I'M READY TO GET STARTED. YOU CAN CONTACT ME A cookshelia_a@yahoo.com

Ms.Cook, I am also a CNA here in the state of Texas. I like the idea of a Union. You can contact me at heather-neff@sbcglobal.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jane in Seminole, Florida

26 months ago

The CNA industry is nothing less than slave labor. Work overload, hard work and caregiver stress. CNAs in the facility I work in receive little respect, unrealistic workloads, and low wages. And for all their dedication to the field, they are rewarded with blame if something goes wrong. The facility that I work in the CNA is the total caregiver, serving residents at dinners, the laundry person, and for added bonus, is required to do the exercise activities as well. I would NOT recommend any young person to pursue this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BABYLUZ in Cleveland, Ohio

25 months ago

I FEEL FOR THE CNAS I BEEN A CNAS FOR SEVERAL YEARS I CARE FOR THE ELDERS FROM MY EXPIERENCE WHEN A CNA IS CALLED INTO THE OFFICE THE CNA IS THE ONLY ONE WITH THE ADMISTRATORS CNAS CANNOT DEFEND THEMSEVLES WHEN PATIENYS COMPLAIN THE ADMINSTRATORS DO NOT BELIVE THE CNA THEY SAY PATIENTS COMES FIRST I CAN UNDERSTAND THAT BECAUSE W/OUT ANY PATIENYS NOT EVEN DOCTORS WOULD HAVE A JOB. IS ALL ABOUT THE PATIENTS MONEY. I HOPING THAT THEY CAN HAVE A UNION IN ALL THE NURSINGS HOMES THROUGH OUT THE STATES PLEASE HELP THE CNAS WE ARE NOBODY JUST A PIECE OF HANDS ON BUT WHICH WE CNAS KNOW THAT HOWEVER WE HAVE NOBODY TO DEFEND THE CNAS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Cassie in Jackson, Mississippi

23 months ago

<div id="change_BottomBar"><span id="change_Powered"><a href="www.change.org/" target="_blank">Change.org</a></span><a>|</a><span id="change_Start">Free <a href='www.change.org/petition'>Online Petitions</a></span></div>
<script type="text/javascript" src="e.change.org:80/flash_petitions_widget.js?width=300&petition_id=556655&color=1A3563"></script>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cassie in Jackson, Mississippi

23 months ago

look up CNA's at change.org and sign petition

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

D, in tally fl in Tallahassee, Florida

21 months ago

I would love to join a union I have been a CNA since 2002 and I currently work for a company that doesnt respect there employees they changed my rate of pay without my knowing or consent I didnt find out until I recieved my pay check . They shorten me 2 days of pay without even explaining why or bothering to investigate it , and when I asked them about I was told that if I didnt like it I could work somewhere else ....... I have spoken to several other coworkers and the company has done the same to them , if anybody has any advice please share it

UnionGal in San Leandro, California

19 months ago

Hi All!

There is a CNA union, it is called the SEIU and it is the largest union in the country. In Florida, SEIU Local 1199 United Healthcare Workers East represents a number of hospitals. In California SEIU United Healthcare Workers West represents nearly every Hospital in LA and SF areas. Outside of the coasts, you may have up contact SEIU international if there are no other unions locally.

Legally, Nurses Aides will vote on a Union with Housekeepers, Kitchen workers, and often Unit Secrataries, Lab Assitants (blood drawers) and anyone else whose job does not require education.

To show you are serous about joining a union, before calling the union attempt to get Lists of all the emplyees in the hospital. This can be done by getting copies of Department Schedules. Also , having a "Committe" formed of emplyees from those area allready will look very good to the union. It takes a LOT of resources to win a union election in a hospital, so most unions will not get serious unless they beleive the employees are serious.

If you call the union and tell them " I'm So and So and I work at X Hospital. It has X number of beds. We have a Committe if people looking to fight for a union, and it represents the Nursing Aides, The Housekeepers, and the Kitchen Staff. We have dept schedules for most of the departments". The union will be incredibly impressed, and will likely be very exited to work with you to get the union.

Links:
Seiu.org
Seiu-Uhw.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

UnionGal in San Leandro, California

19 months ago

Oh also see www.join1199seiu.org/ for info on joining unions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rookiecna in Kissimmee, Florida

8 months ago

We CNA's need to unite. I am all for a union and believe we should start one ASAP. CNA's provide Traditional Nursing Skills. They are Nurses. Yet it is a felony for a CNA to call himself what he is: a Nurse. We cannot keep allowing this to happen. It is unlawful and unjust. CNA's are Auxiliary Nurses and should be called such. They nurse their patients. They provide Traditional Nursing. They care of the sick. They keep their patients healthy and so many more things. They've been doing what Nurses have always done since centuries. We should be respected and treated as Nurses. They cannot keep insulting and degrading the sanctity of our profession. We CNA's need to unite and form a single Union that represent our interests.

Blessings to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.