Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

How did you get your start doing chemist work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Tom in Perrysburg, Ohio

72 months ago

I would avoid if at all possible the temporary agencies,one of the worst is Kelly Scientific. They do not follow the rules by sending your resume without permission and like most temp agencies only care about thier own paycheck and not finding you a job. The best method is to go directly to the company website of the place you wish to work,and to keep sending resumes over and over to the same company,timing is everything and usually they only look at the last few weeks worth of resumes when hiring.If you have an option and are just starting and can relocate,do it,the midwest ,expecially now is not a good place to be a chemist,the options are very limited. Good Luck to all that have chosen this path,if it is money you desired you are in the wrong field ,only people with a passion for chemistry should be in this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

kara in Buffalo, New York

68 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing chemist work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

You should probably have at least an associates in some sort of scientific study (ie biology, chemistry). Some places may be willing to train, but youll be at the bottom, and it takes awhile to get anywhere. Creditials will do nothing but help you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sally in Austin, Texas

67 months ago

Hey all,

Hehe, I don't think it's true that there's no money in chemistry. Chemists get paid more than biologists, and any liberal arts major - you can make a decent living on a chemist salary. The field to get in for BIG money would be engineering.

Career moves... learn how to write! A lot of companies search for people that can write articles, they even train people in some companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tom in Parkville, Maryland

64 months ago

I have a B.S degree in Chemistry with over 7 years of Analytical Chemistry experience. I am finding that unless you want to keep doing the same thing every day, you better go for a graduate degree. You can also make more if you are willing to travel, or jump from state to state for different jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

ag in Pompano Beach, Florida

42 months ago

Bachelors degree in Chemistry. How to find a job???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.