Entry level Jobs in Los Angeles

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

upy in Los Angeles, California

37 months ago

Is it hard to find an entry level civil engineering job in Los Angeles? BTW I went back to school and soon will be graduating from CSULA. I am in my high 30s...if that makes a difference? Your input will be appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sam in Fair Oaks, California

37 months ago

upy in Los Angeles, California said: Is it hard to find an entry level civil engineering job in Los Angeles? BTW I went back to school and soon will be graduating from CSULA. I am in my high 30s...if that makes a difference? Your input will be appreciated!

I went to UCLA and graduated in December and haven't found any entry level positions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

PJ in Buena Park, California

37 months ago

Currently, it is very hard. I've been unemployed for almost 4 months now and have been actively looking almost everywhere. I am either way too qualified or under qualified in a few companies that do respond back. Just a brief background, I went to a UC for my bachelors and due to not being able to find a stable job then in the civil engineering field, I went to pursue my masters thinking the economy would be fixed in 2-3 years.. (I did work for an engineering-related company but not civil halfway through my masters program then decided to go full time grad student to finish my academics)... I received my masters in civil in one of the CSU's last year and then found a job (which I thought would be a career break for me) immediately after graduation.... There were a lot of applicants but I did pull it off. After a year and a couple of months, the company laid off people and here I am. Btw I'm in the mid-late 20s.

So I guess in summary, nothing has changed from before. It most likely have gotten worse as there are a lot more people seeking for the same positions. Also, companies are now reluctant to hire until they win bids/projects.

I consider myself still inexperienced and would like to someday get it to a comfortable level. But, what my gut feeling is telling me (and from what I have been hearing) is that the economy affecting the engineering/manufacturing/construction will not even bounce back anytime soon. It's a harsh reality and it's very unfair... I know... I don't know if this will help you but what my plan is to make a career change starting next year, January, if I remain unemployed.

Hopefully my experience have given you an insight as to what you might expect. You may get a different experience than I did but hopefully you don't lose hope. I wish you luck in your search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.