How to get a job at the age of 59?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

Maria Traversa in Hempstead, New York

111 months ago

Were are the resources to get a job at the age of 59?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Maria Traversa in Hempstead, New York

111 months ago

Reply - Report abuse

mindy in Cheshire, Connecticut

109 months ago

Maria Traversa in Hempstead, New York said: Were are the resources to get a job at the age of 59?

first you need to learn how to spell!!

Reply - Report abuse

RICHARD HARDIN in Memphis, Tennessee

108 months ago

Maria Traversa in Hempstead, New York said: Were are the resources to get a job at the age of 59?

Where can I find a good clerical position in the Memphis Area
Memphis, TN. 38105 at the age of 57 - 59 years old.

Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Cortland, New York

106 months ago

Question: "Were are the resources to get a job at the age of 59?"

Maria, I dont know Hempstead well. But I know that in my part of New York, there is atleast one local office that assists individuals, especially those unemployed try to find work. If you have one of these, there is usually a bulletin board that lists specific agencies looking for specific individuals, such as part timers, those over 55, those who are vets, those disables, etc. In my area we have a few agencies that specifially try to help those 55 and older. If you dont have a local agency like that, try contacting your local unemployment office. (If you havent already). I hope this helps, good luck getting a job and keep your spirits up! :)

Reply - Report abuse

linda in Dallas, Texas

94 months ago

I know i'm late... but you can try www.retirementjobs.com

Reply - Report abuse

Sally in Springdale, Arkansas

89 months ago

My position was recently eliminated due to corporate downsize...I am also 59 and it is a jungle out there when you do not have a degree but have loads of experience. Does anyone know of a listing of those companies that are older worker friendly?

Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Johnson City, Tennessee

86 months ago

Its people like MINDY, that are the troublemakers on jobs, I have put up with people like that my whole life, that think they are better than anybody else, that try to put good people down.
My advice to anyone @ this stage in their life, you can do anything that you want to, if you try hard enough, and not let the MINDIES of this world get you down. My motto is " what goes around will come right back to you in some form or another".

Reply - Report abuse

Jan in Arcadia, California

86 months ago

Sally in Springdale, Arkansas said: My position was recently eliminated due to corporate downsize...I am also 59 and it is a jungle out there when you do not have a degree but have loads of experience. Does anyone know of a listing of those companies that are older worker friendly?

Try the AARP website. They have a list of companies that hire older workers.

Reply - Report abuse

Marilyn in Marysville, California

84 months ago

Looks like Mindy has some anger issues to overcome. Probably low self-esteem.

Reply - Report abuse

eparnell in Cincinnati, Ohio

65 months ago

It's a jungle no doubt, trees are growing larger/stronger each day. Came across an agency by the name of Adecco, hopefully you will have one in your city. Please registered with them, and call once/twice week for assignment. Keep your name in their heads. Normally have good assignments a temp assignment for six weeks landed me a position perm at Chiquita Brands.

Reply - Report abuse

Russ in Versailles, Kentucky

60 months ago

mindy in Cheshire, Connecticut said: first you need to learn how to spell!!

Before you criticize others, at least make sure YOU are correct. Your sentence should begin with a capital, not lower case F. There should be a comma after the word First as well. Just saying!

Reply - Report abuse

Snub in Chicago, Illinois

58 months ago

Glad you have jokes, however, its not very funny.

Reply - Report abuse

jeanpond@*****.*** in Rockville, Maryland

56 months ago

Hi, I am well over 50, but have been applying for jobs for I'd say about 6 years. In the beginning, 2005-6 it seemed as though jobs were prevalent for people like me (us). I left one job for a higher paying perfect job in 2006--part time, no excel or power point, wonderful people @ 13 per hr. I had a bad accident and was in recovery for about 8 months and when I was ready to work again there was NOTHING. I must have sent out (and this is no lie) 200+ resumes. I got 4 interviews, maybe 5 replies, but that was it. I was perfect for many of the positions but I think when they see years of experience they just toss it. Now, in many instances, you have to have an associates degree to be a clerk. I still look and apply but only to the lowest of the totem pole jobs and still nothing. So I started to volunteer and that really helps my self esteem, but not my purse.

Reply - Report abuse

binna48 in Rockville, Maryland

56 months ago

Sally in Springdale, Arkansas said: My position was recently eliminated due to corporate downsize...I am also 59 and it is a jungle out there when you do not have a degree but have loads of experience. Does anyone know of a listing of those companies that are older worker friendly?

You can check google, etc (which you have probably done). But the competition is so strong w/the young graduates and computer savy younger folks. It is just plain frustrating and aggravating when you know you can perform the job just as well. We have to keep up with the technology that's for sure--and it updates all of the time. You have to know that MS OFFICE inside and out--the internet too. Good luck to all us geezers.

Reply - Report abuse

binna48 in Rockville, Maryland

56 months ago

You can check google, etc (which you have probably done). But the competition is so strong w/the young graduates and computer savy younger folks. It is just plain frustrating and aggravating when you know you can perform the job just as well. We have to keep up with the technology that's for sure--and it updates all of the time. You have to know that MS OFFICE inside and out--the internet too. Good luck to all us geezers.

Reply - Report abuse

Kadylorraine in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

41 months ago

You didn't start your sentence with a capital Mindy.

Reply - Report abuse

Kadylorraine in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

41 months ago

Aside from the Mindys of this world I think this site is a good one.

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.