Does anyone have any questions to ask a recent CSULA CLS graduate?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 79)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

el_barto in So Cal, California

10 months ago

like the title says, I recently graduated from CSULA CLS program and had already taken and passed the ASCP exam. If anyone have any questions to ask regarding the CSULA program, post them!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CLS applicant in Los Angeles, California

9 months ago

Hi el-barto,

I am interested in applying into the CSULA CLS program, but I got my biology degree over 10 years ago.... seeing the website, the director says that they do not accept classes older than 5 years - that means I have to basically re-take all of my required courses. I am not sure if that program discriminates older applicants or not.

Second question : Are you or your classmates having a hard time finding full-time jobs? I go over the job boards and it appears almost all of them are now per-diem positions. For an applicant such as myself, what are how good are my chances of finding a job after 2 years of finishing the program?

Thank you for any replies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JudyLab in Anaheim, California

9 months ago

el_barto in So Cal, California said: like the title says, I recently graduated from CSULA CLS program and had already taken and passed the ASCP exam. If anyone have any questions to ask regarding the CSULA program, post them!

I'm a prospective CLS program applicant. What did you like most about CSULA? Compared to other schools, I rarely read about CSULA.

Also, I know there is a time gap between getting one's science bachelor's and getting into a CLS program. I want to remain sharp in CLS school, so what subjects do you wish you retained the most during this gap period that would have helped you in CLS school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Chelsea in Anaheim, California

9 months ago

Hi el-barto

So I'm currently a CSUDH student who's majoring in Clinical Science. Still have another 2-3 years to finish. I've been thinking about applying to the CSULA program for the internship after I receive my bachelors. So my question is, how competitive is it to get into the program there? I feel as if the program here at CSUDH is extremely competitive.. I have an average of a 3.0. However I plan to get A's and B's for the remainder of my upper division science classes. But I still don't think I'll be competitive enough :(

Do you have any other advice?

Maia_CLS in Riverside, California

9 months ago

Chelsea in Anaheim, California said: Hi el-barto

So I'm currently a CSUDH student who's majoring in Clinical Science. Still have another 2-3 years to finish. I've been thinking about applying to the CSULA program for the internship after I receive my bachelors. So my question is, how competitive is it to get into the program there? I feel as if the program here at CSUDH is extremely competitive.. I have an average of a 3.0. However I plan to get A's and B's for the remainder of my upper division science classes. But I still don't think I'll be competitive enough :(

Hey Chelsea
Good to hear from somebody who is actually going through all this hassle at CSUDH.
I applied for the Fall 2014 at DH as a clinical science_med tech major and got accepted
How hard is it to get accepted into the last year?
Do you have an idea of what stats you need to be accepted into the last year?
Can I reapply for the internship in case I dont get in the first try?
I am starting at CSUDH at a junior level how long will it take me to be ready for the final year?
I read something in their website that says in case you dont make into the internship you can graduate in another major, what is the closest related major to cls at CSUDH?

Chelsea in Anaheim, California

9 months ago

Maia_CLS in Riverside, California said: Hey Chelsea
Good to hear from somebody who is actually going through all this hassle at CSUDH.
I applied for the Fall 2014 at DH as a clinical science_med tech major and got accepted
How hard is it to get accepted into the last year?
Do you have an idea of what stats you need to be accepted into the last year?
Can I reapply for the internship in case I dont get in the first try?
I am starting at CSUDH at a junior level how long will it take me to be ready for the final year?
I read something in their website that says in case you dont make into the internship you can graduate in another major, what is the closest related major to cls at CSUDH?

Glad to hear that you got accepted. I really don't know how hard it is to get accepted but I do know that most people who have above a 2.8 as a transfer get accepted. So this year they changed the curriculum, you don't need an internship to graduate as a clinical science major. So what you do is you graduate and then apply after you get your bachelors. This is so much better. So now you have the option of applying to other colleges (i.e. CSULA, SFSU) for an internship. I also came in as a junior. However, I am realizing that it's realistically going to take 2 more years after this year. So 6 years total. Honestly, this whole process of getting an internship is really tricky. What is even worse is the fact that if you try to talk to the advisor, she really doesn't help much.. But I know for a fact that you can apply for an internship the year after. If you don't get in then you can reapply the year after. In all honesty, I know you need almost all A's in the major clinical science classes to get in the internship.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

Isn't it so unfair?? I am so tired of this messed up educational system! Spend 4 years of your life working towards something you never know if you'll really make it!
That's much better that they've changed the curriculum I really like the idea of actually receiving that freaking degree after all the hard work...not so sure how easy it will be to get the internship now though since we all need the license to be able to work in the field, and there is nothing you can really do with only the degree, but oh well...one step at a time
I haven't met with a CLS counselor yet but I already know how they are, they never give you a straight forward answer and tell you for real where you stand...

How hard is it to enroll in the pre-reqs for the major?
I still need all the che's sequences because was a nursing major...
that sounds so good that you can actually receive the degree and do your internship afterwards...

9 months ago

Chelsea in Anaheim, California said: Glad to hear that you got accepted. I really don't know how hard it is to get accepted but I do know that most people who have above a 2.8 as a transfer get accepted. So this year they changed the curriculum, you don't need an internship to graduate as a clinical science major. So what you do is you graduate and then apply after you get your bachelors. This is so much better. So now you have the option of applying to other colleges (i.e. CSULA, SFSU) for an internship. I also came in as a junior. However, I am realizing that it's realistically going to take 2 more years after this year. So 6 years total. Honestly, this whole process of getting an internship is really tricky. What is even worse is the fact that if you try to talk to the advisor, she really doesn't help much.. But I know for a fact that you can apply for an internship the year after. If you don't get in then you can reapply the year after. In all honesty, I know you need almost all A's in the major clinical science classes to get in the internship.

Isn't it so unfair?? I am so tired of this messed up educational system! Spend 4 years of your life working towards something you never know if you'll really make it!
That's much better that they've changed the curriculum I really like the idea of actually receiving that freaking degree after all the hard work...not so sure how easy it will be to get the internship now though since we all need the license to be able to work in the field, and there is nothing you can really do with only the degree, but oh well...one step at a time
I haven't met with a CLS counselor yet but I already know how they are, they never give you a straight forward answer and tell you for real where you stand...

How hard is it to enroll in the pre-reqs for the major?
I still need all the che's sequences because was a nursing major...
that sounds so good that you can actually receive the degree

9 months ago

Chelsea in Anaheim, California said: Glad to hear that you got accepted. I really don't know how hard it is to get accepted but I do know that most people who have above a 2.8 as a transfer get accepted. So this year they changed the curriculum, you don't need an internship to graduate as a clinical science major. So what you do is you graduate and then apply after you get your bachelors. This is so much better. So now you have the option of applying to other colleges (i.e. CSULA, SFSU) for an internship. I also came in as a junior. However, I am realizing that it's realistically going to take 2 more years after this year. So 6 years total. Honestly, this whole process of getting an internship is really tricky. What is even worse is the fact that if you try to talk to the advisor, she really doesn't help much.. But I know for a fact that you can apply for an internship the year after. If you don't get in then you can reapply the year after. In all honesty, I know you need almost all A's in the major clinical science classes to get in the internship.

Hey, do you mind exchanging e-mails? I would like more info about the program/classes.

ps: Ive been trying to contact the advisor at csudh for over a week now and no reply ...urg

9 months ago

CLS applicant in Los Angeles, California said: Hi el-barto,

I am interested in applying into the CSULA CLS program, but I got my biology degree over 10 years ago.... seeing the website, the director says that they do not accept classes older than 5 years - that means I have to basically re-take all of my required courses. I am not sure if that program discriminates older applicants or not.

Second question : Are you or your classmates having a hard time finding full-time jobs? I go over the job boards and it appears almost all of them are now per-diem positions. For an applicant such as myself, what are how good are my chances of finding a job after 2 years of finishing the program?

Thank you for any replies.

The whole process starts with the school going through all the applications, then give the approved ones to lab managers to choose. From what I know, only 40 goes to the managers and they had over 200 applicants. Like you, I needed more pre-reqs and I did those at CSUDU as well as online. However, since there weren't as many applicants when I applied, they didn't care too much about the online classes. We did have classmates that were older.

I know all my classmates have gotten full-time jobs at their sites, except for citrus valley; they got per-dimes. I am working at the site where I trained right now. I do know that LAC-USC is majorly short on CLSes.

9 months ago

JudyLab in Anaheim, California said: I'm a prospective CLS program applicant. What did you like most about CSULA? Compared to other schools, I rarely read about CSULA.

Also, I know there is a time gap between getting one's science bachelor's and getting into a CLS program. I want to remain sharp in CLS school, so what subjects do you wish you retained the most during this gap period that would have helped you in CLS school?

During the didactic part of the program, the professors weren't there to fail us. So, pretty much just need to keep your head above water and you're fine. Well, CSULA just started their third year of their program recently. Probably why there isn't much you've heard about the program.

The hardest for me was micro, only because there was a lot to remember. I work in micro now, so there's that.

9 months ago

Chelsea in Anaheim, California said: Hi el-barto

I know the lab managers like clinical lab experience; not research. It is also getting competitive at CSULA because more people are aware of the program now.

9 months ago

el_barto in So Cal, California said: The whole process starts with the school going through all the applications, then give the approved ones to lab managers to choose. From what I know, only 40 goes to the managers and they had over 200 applicants. Like you, I needed more pre-reqs and I did those at CSUDU as well as online. However, since there weren't as many applicants when I applied, they didn't care too much about the online classes. We did have classmates that were older.

I know all my classmates have gotten full-time jobs at their sites, except for citrus valley; they got per-dimes. I am working at the site where I trained right now. I do know that LAC-USC is majorly short on CLSes.

I had nightmares trying to get classes at CSUDH, I ended up just taking some online instead.

Maia_cls in Riverside, California

9 months ago

el_barto in So Cal, California said: I had nightmares trying to get classes at CSUDH, I ended up just taking some online instead.

Hello el_barto
I am new to this major! Thanks for all the help your giving here
I got accepted into csudh for CLS, Ill start in the fall
How hard is it to get clsses at CSUDH?
I am a ex nursing major so I need all the che sequences and bio's.

JudyLab in San Diego, California

9 months ago

el_barto in So Cal, California said: The whole process starts with the school going through all the applications, then give the approved ones to lab managers to choose. From what I know, only 40 goes to the managers and they had over 200 applicants. Like you, I needed more pre-reqs and I did those at CSUDU as well as online. However, since there weren't as many applicants when I applied, they didn't care too much about the online classes. We did have classmates that were older.

What is wrong with online classes? From which advisor of which CLS program did you hear that taking online classes makes you less competitive? I took online classes because I could not find a place near me that offered hematology. Not a lot of schools do... I can't believe they would hold that against us.

9 months ago

did you take the online classes at CSUDH?

9 months ago

Maia_cls in Riverside, California said: did you take the online classes at CSUDH?

No. I took them from an out of state school that is approved by the state of California. I am now worried that I am not a competitive applicant. I have a 3.8 for my chem degree but no job.

9 months ago

el_barto in So Cal, California said: I had nightmares trying to get classes at CSUDH, I ended up just taking some online instead.

hey el barto
where did u take your online classes at?

9 months ago

JudyLab in San Diego, California said: No. I took them from an out of state school that is approved by the state of California. I am now worried that I am not a competitive applicant. I have a 3.8 for my chem degree but no job.

how hard is it to get a job with a chemistry/biochemistry degree, I am thinking about majoring on it in case CLS doesnt work...

9 months ago

Maia_cls in Riverside, California said: how hard is it to get a job with a chemistry/biochemistry degree, I am thinking about majoring on it in case CLS doesnt work...

it's pretty rough out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

let's preface this by saying this was three years ago. The program director at CSUDH allowed more people to get into the undergrad program than there were classes for them. At one point, a class that she told us would be open for registration on a Tuesday was allowed to open for another group of people the week before by giving them registration codes. It wasn't just me, people had to wait an extra year to get into a class.

I did my online school everywhere, weber state, university of montana, north carolina. Again, I just got lucky because the program was still pretty much unheard of when I applied and I had some clincal lab experience

9 months ago

el_barto in So Cal, California said: let's preface this by saying this was three years ago. The program director at CSUDH allowed more people to get into the undergrad program than there were classes for them. At one point, a class that she told us would be open for registration on a Tuesday was allowed to open for another group of people the week before by giving them registration codes. It wasn't just me, people had to wait an extra year to get into a class.

I did my online school everywhere, weber state, university of montana, north carolina. Again, I just got lucky because the program was still pretty much unheard of when I applied and I had some clincal lab experience

despite of the difficult getting into the classes. How hard was it for you to get into the internship/clinical year?

geemini in Los Angeles, California

9 months ago

el_barto in So Cal, California said: let's preface this by saying this was three years ago. The program director at CSUDH allowed more people to get into the undergrad program than there were classes for them. At one point, a class that she told us would be open for registration on a Tuesday was allowed to open for another group of people the week before by giving them registration codes. It wasn't just me, people had to wait an extra year to get into a class.

where did you take your training?

9 months ago

Maia_cls in Riverside, California said: despite of the difficult getting into the classes. How hard was it for you to get into the internship/clinical year?

For my year, there were around 120 applicants and they interviewed 40 and accepted 17. The interview process was done in a panel; you're sat on one end of the table with about 12-15 lab managers and professors looking at you. They give you a paper with like 6 questions on it, you answer those and it becomes a Q&A session. I just made them laugh with stories.

The questions were like what would you do if you're have a conflict with a co-worker. What past experiences have the greatest impact on you and how it changed you; your weakness and how you overcome it, stuff like that. I guess they just want to know you as a person since they already have all your academic records.

9 months ago

geemini in Los Angeles, California said: where did you take your training?

CSULA

geemini in Los Angeles, California

9 months ago

yes, what i meant was what hospital? do we choose or they choose us?

9 months ago

I rather not say. Both, you put in your top three choices, and the lab choose you.

BigWhaleSwim in Highland, California

9 months ago

Maia_cls in Riverside, California said: how hard is it to get a job with a chemistry/biochemistry degree, I am thinking about majoring on it in case CLS doesnt work...

well, after I got my chem/biochem degree, it took me about two years to land a job that requires a h.s diploma, pay is about 40k, which is enough to get by and not shoot yourself.

9 months ago

omg! Our economy is just screwed up!
Ive been in a CC for 4 years now, I feel like Ill never make it!
Good luck to you all

devilstef in Los Angeles, California

9 months ago

el_barto in So Cal, California said: I rather not say. Both, you put in your top three choices, and the lab choose you.

why not? Was it MLK?

CLS Applicant in Los Angeles, California

9 months ago

Thank you el_barto for replying.

geemini in South El Monte, California

9 months ago

when will we know if we are accepted. is it march?

Willowtree in San Diego, California

8 months ago

el_barto in So Cal, California said: like the title says, I recently graduated from CSULA CLS program and had already taken and passed the ASCP exam. If anyone have any questions to ask regarding the CSULA program, post them!

Hi-

I'm considering switching careers from chemistry to CLS. Could you please answer my following questions:

Do you know if a new graduate can get morning shifts?
Are there part time positions in the morning?
How is the pay? ( I have seen posts with conflicting information)

Thank you.

8 months ago

devilstef in Los Angeles, California said: why not? Was it MLK?

no, i wasn't county

8 months ago

Willowtree in San Diego, California said: Hi-

I'm considering switching careers from chemistry to CLS. Could you please answer my following questions:

Do you know if a new graduate can get morning shifts?
Are there part time positions in the morning?
How is the pay? ( I have seen posts with conflicting information)

Thank you.

i work morning shift now.
there are per diem jobs everywhere, many of my co workers work a 2nd job at kaiser or smaller jobs.
the pay starts around 32-35 for new hires.

Willowtree in San Diego, California

8 months ago

el_barto in So Cal, California said: i work morning shift now.
there are per diem jobs everywhere, many of my co workers work a 2nd job at kaiser or smaller jobs.
the pay starts around 32-35 for new hires.

When you say morning shift, what time to what time? Thanks!!!

Mimosa in Irvine, California

8 months ago

el_barto in So Cal, California said: For my year, there were around 120 applicants and they interviewed 40 and accepted 17. The interview process was done in a panel; you're sat on one end of the table with about 12-15 lab managers and professors looking at you. They give you a paper with like 6 questions on it, you answer those and it becomes a Q&A session. I just made them laugh with stories.

The questions were like what would you do if you're have a conflict with a co-worker. What past experiences have the greatest impact on you and how it changed you; your weakness and how you overcome it, stuff like that. I guess they just want to know you as a person since they already have all your academic records.

Thank you for the info. I asked CSULA how many applicants they will select this year, but I've never received the response. I guess they are too busy. Wow, there are so many people interviewing the candidates. That's so stressful! The interview will be in the first 2 weeks of March, and until now I haven't heard anything yet. I think they are still in the process of ranking the applicants now.
There are only 6 questions they asked. Do they change the questions each cycle? I hope not :)
Thanks again El_barto!

cookie in Los Angeles, California

8 months ago

devilstef in Los Angeles, California said: why not? Was it MLK?

I was trained at MLK. MLK has a good program, my manager holds a lot of review sessions throughout the year and gives the students enough study hours on a daily basis. We now have stipend for the students as well.

rosie in Los Angeles, California

7 months ago

to those who applied to CSULA cls program for fall 2014, did anyone here get any news yet?

SacStCLS in Elk Grove, California

7 months ago

rosie in Los Angeles, California said: to those who applied to CSULA cls program for fall 2014, did anyone here get any news yet?

Not yet. But got a call from Eisenhower.

Aa in Panorama City, California

7 months ago

cookie in Los Angeles, California said: I was trained at MLK. MLK has a good program, my manager holds a lot of review sessions throughout the year and gives the students enough study hours on a daily basis. We now have stipend for the students as well.

hi cookie! do you mind sharing your interview experience at CSULA? is it true they ask you scientific questions?

MHoldat in Los Angeles, California

7 months ago

rosie in Los Angeles, California said: to those who applied to CSULA cls program for fall 2014, did anyone here get any news yet?

I just got an interview invite for CSULA. I too would appreciate some insight on the interview experience over there.

Sandra in Merced, California

7 months ago

Hi, I got an interview for CSU LA which will be in the next few day. Anyone that got an interview how are you preparing for it? El_barto in So Cal do you have any tips for the day of the interview for us that are given the opportunity to go to an interview?

7 months ago

CSULA will have 20 open positions, and they interview a lot of candidates, about 70ish.
It's kinda competitive for the interview process. I wonder what they can see in the candidates after 15 minutes of interview. There are so many faces to remember.

7 months ago

el_barto in So Cal, California said: For my year, there were around 120 applicants and they interviewed 40 and accepted 17. The interview process was done in a panel; you're sat on one end of the table with about 12-15 lab managers and professors looking at you. They give you a paper with like 6 questions on it, you answer those and it becomes a Q&A session. I just made them laugh with stories.

Can you please give more information? Do they the same questions from last year for this year interview? I guess not, but I hope it will be similar. It seems like they want to see the candidate's interpersonal skills but not technical skills.

susu in El Segundo, California

7 months ago

Hello all..
I am also invited for the interview for CSULA CLS program.. I'm very nervous.
They are only taking 19-20 and they are interviewing 78 applicants, which gives 25%. Anyone who has tips on the questions they are asking, please kindly share.. would really appreciate =)
Good luck to all of you

7 months ago

Mimosa in Irvine, California said: Can you please give more information? Do they the same questions from last year for this year interview? I guess not, but I hope it will be similar. It seems like they want to see the candidate's interpersonal skills but not technical skills.

Hi Mimosa,
which day is your interview? Thanks

7 months ago

Sandra in Merced, California said: Hi, I got an interview for CSU LA which will be in the next few day. Anyone that got an interview how are you preparing for it? El_barto in So Cal do you have any tips for the day of the interview for us that are given the opportunity to go to an interview?

Hi Sandra,
did u get it on 7th or 14th or 27th? Pls tell us how it goes.. thanks :)

MHoldat in Santa Ana, California

7 months ago

My interview is on the 7th at 7:40 AM. I'm guessing I'm the very first interview.

MHoldat in Santa Ana, California

7 months ago

susu in El Segundo, California said: Hello all..
I am also invited for the interview for CSULA CLS program.. I'm very nervous.
They are only taking 19-20 and they are interviewing 78 applicants, which gives 25%. Anyone who has tips on the questions they are asking, please kindly share.. would really appreciate =)
Good luck to all of you

Where did you hear that they are interviewing 78?

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.