HOW TO GET THE EXPERIENCE IF NOBODY ACCEPT ENTRY LEVELS

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 303)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Prafulla in Dublin, California

80 months ago

Hi Sathya,
I am currently in US California trying to relocate to India completly after 10yrs.Thinking of settling in Chennai.Do you have any idea abt CRA entry level positions in Chennai.Will appreciate if you can reply.
Prafulla.

Sathya Simha in Bangalore, India said: Hi i am currently working as CRA in Bangalore India, for a global CRO , I am interested in doing Masters in Clinical Research in US , please guide me as to what are the universities which offer these courses , are there ant international exchange programs

Awating all your response,
Regards
Sathya

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Burned Out in Spokane, Washington

80 months ago

M in SJ, CA said: Hello C,

I was wondering if there are any opportunities to "shadow" a CRA professional and how I could go about this. I am considering this career and would like to see "in person" what the job is like. Did you start as a study coordinator and/or obtain a certificate in CRA? Thank you for your suggestions.

M in San Jose

Hello M in San Jose,

Due to confidentiality and liability issues surrounding the review of private medical information "shadowing" a CRA is probably something that neither study sponsors or a research clinic could not allow. In addition, study sponsors have a proprietary interest in their protocols and they do not want people who are not involved with the study conduct to read/review the study.

I know that "shadowing" an experienced person is typical in other occupations. I wish it were different because I think many people would change their minds about being a CRA once they experienced the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

No name in Edmonton, Alberta

80 months ago

1. you or the investigator try to gently convince him/her. Of course you are not allowed to force anyone to take the drug:)

2. discuss this problem with the investigator and the senior CRA. don't start fighting, just use common sense and try your best :)

breddi said: Hey Kelly,

Thanks for your replies. Are you in the field already? I would like to know some interview questions. could you answer some of these questions?

1). if a dose has to be given a patient in 2 min. If the patient refuses to take the dose how do you deal the situation?

2). If a patient yells at you in the clinic and talks bad about the clinic and yelling at you in the clinic infornt of you what do you do?

If anybody attend any interviews before please share your expereinces and possible, appropriate answers as well.

Thanks in advance,
Reddi
Toronto

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Fellow CRA Applicant in Gaithersburg, Maryland

79 months ago

I am a fellow CRA/CRO applicant. From the following website, I heard that there are a lot of commercial agencies giving out CRA certificate training, but you can get these courses for free from the NIH: ikenga.com/clinical.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Burned Out in Spokane, Washington

79 months ago

Fellow CRA Applicant in Gaithersburg, Maryland said: I am a fellow CRA/CRO applicant. From the following website, I heard that there are a lot of commercial agencies giving out CRA certificate training, but you can get these courses for free from the NIH: ikenga.com/clinical.htm

Hello Fellow CRA - What a wonderful website, I am a seasoned CRA but I have never heard of free CRA training. The website touches upon the problem of "hawking" CRA certification with the promises of a job. These certification courses only take your already in short supply money. This is in reverse of how interested folks should proceed.
1. You should, self educate to become familiar with the industry wide regulations and guidelines.

2. Then take this self education with a willingness to learn how to apply this knowledge and try for an "In-House" position. I have seen to many people take a regional CRA position straight out of a certificiation course who wind up severly making a mess. This means that I will be following up behind the person to "clean-up" the sites. Please, Please, Please, do not try to become a contractor without a ton of work experience because you will only give CRA contractors, like myself, a terrible reputation.

3. After "In-House experience, then go for the CRA positions. I do not recommend that your first CRA position be regional home office based.

4. After receiving the "In-House" CRA training then go for the certification at a well accepted association like ACRP or SOCCRA.

Some of the other documents that you should read are the FDA Guidlines for Monitoring and the FDA Informed Consent Fact Sheets that discuss the Informed Consent process and the 14 elements of a Informed Consent. Go into the FDA website and search for these documents.

Also, the NIH used to have a free course on Human Subjects Protection. If it is still available, I recommend taking that course then printing out the certificate and showing it to employers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

breddi in Toronto, Ontario

79 months ago

Thanks for the suggestion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

E. Cortez in Diamond Bar, California

79 months ago

Cici in Montreal, Quebec said: Hi to you all,
I have a freind of mine that is a CRA in the Montreal area. She keeps telling me that she needs CRA's let me know if you are interested and i'll see what I can do.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Please give me the name and address of your friend as I am interested in this CRA position. Thanks.

Vangie

Adriana P in São Paulo, Brazil

79 months ago

Hi Cici. She needs CRA's in Montreal only. I'm MD looking for a job as CRA, but I'm living in Sao Paulo now. If she needs sombody within Latin America please send me she's name and email so we can speack together.
Thanks,
Adriana

Kate in New York, New York

79 months ago

Hello all!

I just found this website and as a seasoned CRA, I definitely can relate to all of your frustrations. I too was in the same boat, and I got lucky. I started out as a study coordinator and then transitioned with a major pharma company as a CRA, upon the recomendation of my monitor at the time. Yes, I got lucky. My study coordinators ask me how they can get experience to be a CRA and how I did it, and I do agree that it is almost impossible to go up for these jobs with no experience.

What I would suggest is the same as the CRA from Spokane, KNOW YOUR INDUSTRY. Know the guidelines and know FDA Code. Be extremely prepared on an interview and if you have not already, get a job as a study coordiantor. Learn the regulations, learn the logistics of studies and know what you are talking about in an interview. Keep a written training log of everything you do whether it be online coursework or attendance of a free seminar or a teleconference for clinical resarch - Document everything. You can present this in an interview and say, even though I don't have the experience as a CRA, I have this training record. Believe me, organization and the eagerness to learn will take you above the rest in an interview. I get surprised that more people in the industry don't have these documents prepared.

Shadowing is difficult, I agree. Companies don't like it even if the trainee signs a confidentially agreement, they will most likely not allow it. You have to shine above the others and show a genuine interest and show that you are able to adapt to any situation. For example, how would you deal with a difficult investigator who doesn't want to sit through a SIV? What do you do? There are so many scenarios, and you need to be prepared of how you will answer these questions. Go to meetings if you can afford to - ACRP and SOCRA and sit through the sessions. Make contacts - although some CRAs don't want to offer up help because of competition, others will love to share.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

USN in Toronto, Ontario

79 months ago

Hi Vangie,
Montreal needs French speaking people.

Chirag in Canton, Massachusetts

79 months ago

Does anybody here know anything about Study Start up jobs ?

I need to know Initial Pay scale as Study Start up ?

What are my prospects in future ? Is there a progress possible ?

Can you become study start up after being CRA for one year ?

just give me as much information as possible about Study Start up positions and their pay-scale and prospects ?

thanks ..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CRA in Minneapolis, Minnesota

79 months ago

Dear Chirag -

What do you mean by study start up? You really need to begin your own search and ask more focused questions. The questions you are asking are as if you have not done any research yourself. Study start up means nothing. Are you talking about a CRA position? Do your research before you post, it would be helpful so we can answer you better.

ckodas@gmail.com in Lowell, Massachusetts

79 months ago

Ok I guess I should research before I post the question but as far as I know any CROs have various position that DOESN'T REQUIRE Travelling.

I am in a very entry level position as handling central files (tracking and maintaining of legal documents) - position is called Records Coordinator. I have chance to getting an offer either as CRA - which requires travelling to different sites.

As far as we all know, thats what CRAs do, They travel to different sites and make sure about the Qualification of the sites and they also make sure about IRBs and other regulated documents.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Are there any other positions that CROs offer that doesn't require travelling ????

SSU is something I have heard that PAREXEL offers. SSU makes sure mainly about protocol and IRBs are there before the study starts ....

position is called Study Start Up ....it is what it sounds like. An assistant with CRAs who helps CRAs and Clinical Leads (Sr.CRAs) with starting up of the study in making sure all the documents are in and other imp. detail oriented stuff

Offcourse !!! if nobody here knows about these positions then you wouldn't know about the PAY-SCALE either ..so its ok ....

I know CRAs get paid around 45K initially and go upto about 65K or more ... but I wanted to know if there any other positions in Clinical Research that pays that much just on B.S degree in Science and also has prospects in future to progress ..

Thanks for reading such detailed message

Chiquita CRA in Guaynabo, Puerto Rico

79 months ago

You know, I am just not sure about these positions. Best bet is to look into CTA positions or an in-house CRA position with a pharma company. Sometimes you will have to travel - but it would be minimal - and you just ask that question in the interview. What percentage of travel is required, etc.

As far as money, it all depends on your experience and where you live. This is a hard one to answer.

I can tell that your native language is not English - Where are you from? In this business it is essential to put forth a more concise message, so I would work on my written skills more and formulate more direct questions.

What CRO are you looking at that offers a position as Study Start up? This is a very weird way to put it - and I don't want a company to take advantage of you with regard to a position with a title such as this. It is just strange to word it in this way.

Good luck

Frederick in Toronto, Ontario

79 months ago

zeb Khan in Ottawa + Montreal, Ontario said: Hello Cici,
I would be very interested. It would really help me alot in my search for work. I am currently "in between jobs" because I just finished my grad degree and looking for my niche in science. How would I contact you? I live in Ottawa, Ontario but I can move to Montreal. My email is written in my profile description.

Hi Zeb: Do you have any on-site monitoring experience?

mle in Harrisonburg, Virginia

79 months ago

what do u guys mean by on-site monitoring experience..I did my masters and conducted my whole project myself..doesnt it count as on-site experience?

79 months ago

Hello,

Does anybody here aware of the Salary differences for Entry Level CRA jobs between getting hired by CRO or getting hired by Pharmaceutical Companies ?

Also, are there in-house (very minimal travel) CRA jobs or any other similar Clinical Research positions which does not require travelling ?

Thanks

79 months ago

mle in Harrisonburg, Virginia said: what do u guys mean by on-site monitoring experience..I did my masters and conducted my whole project myself..doesnt it count as on-site experience?

on-site monitoring = visiting sites

79 months ago

I visited sites for recruiting participants and also in some cases did tests for screening the participants..the test done were blood draw and anthropometric measurements.does tht count? since most of the other studies were conducted in the university..doesnt tht count as on-site monitoring?

CCRA in Minneapolis, Minnesota

79 months ago

Sounds like you did more coordinator work that monitoring. I would not call this on site monitoring as you were doing more of a patient care job rather than looking/monitoring files. However, it seems to me that you have good experience to become a monitor. But the two jobs are different.

Good luck.

Cici in Lachine, Quebec

79 months ago

Frederick in Toronto, Ontario said: Hi Zeb: Do you have any on-site monitoring experience?

Hi,
Please send your CV to salamonec@iconcan.com. Reference Cici

79 months ago

what is monitoring files? I kept a complete record of the study( getting an informed content, supplying them with study material, keeping track of the material provided)and even analyzed the results and have got it published

CCRA in Minneapolis, Minnesota

79 months ago

mle:

You need to take a few classes to learn the industry and learn the difference. My telling you will not help you in the long run. You are not getting that Monitoring and Coordinating is different, and the only way t learn is to take a class somehwere - you are just not getting that there is a big disparity between monitoring and coordinating, and you need training to give you the difference. It is not something I can write in a few lines I am afraid.

L N in Clearwater, Florida

78 months ago

I have extensive research experience in molecular and cellular biology/oncology. My credentials include Postdoctoral Fellowship on oncology, Ph.D.(molecular and cellular biology), authored publications and Bachelor of Science in Nursing--still no luck landing a CRA position. The entry level jobs are not abundant it seems? I have done an internship with an Oncology Research Coordinator whom I ended up explaining experimental rationale/molecular assays to--thus am confident I am qualified. My research and nursing background has familiarized me with the guidelines/policies/procedures necessary to conduct clinical trials.

Indy in Hamilton, Ontario

78 months ago

I am doctorate with over 4 years of experience of working in the Biotech. industry as a scientist recently I did CRA certification from Kriger about 3 months ago and ever since i have been trying to get a job as CRA but i am finding it really difficult Although Kriger has project work or internship part too in their training course but when it comes to honouring that they don't offer jobs to their own grads although they are a CRO then how can one expect others in the industry would honour and recognise the internship done with them.

Indy in Hamilton, Ontario

78 months ago

I am feeling that the latest trend in the interviewing scenario is asking behavioural questions since you have to answer these questions with specific scenarios in mind that you faced in the past it is hard to answer such questions if you have not worked as a CRA before can anybody suggest where if possible can one get answer to such questions from the point of view of a CRA something like a step by step guide to monitoring or the usually encountered problems in monitoring.
Would really appreciate that.

L N in Clearwater, Florida

78 months ago

Hey
I too am a doctorate and now a BSN-to add the clinical component. I totally hear what you are saying...people look at you and say you have a PhD it will not be hard to land a job. But the truth is yes. I am interning now with a research coordinator and with my experience see so much overlap in concepts and terms that am qualified. I would hope that our background experiences would supplement for the mandatory 1 year experience necessitated by most jobs.

kathy in Oxford, Massachusetts

78 months ago

hey
anyone knows of any companies in Massachusetts that hire Clinical Trial Associates, or any position that would put my foot through the door.
THanks a lot

anagha in Harrisonburg, Virginia

78 months ago

same here..looking for positions in virginia

78 months ago

Hey,

PAREXEL International, Millenium Pharmaceuticals, Bio-Gen, Vertex are some of very great companies ...PAREXEL is a CRO and other companies are actual pharmaceutical companies ...located near Boston and near Virginia .. Raleigh ...

just use careerbuilder or google to search their openings ..

or apply as "Clinical Research Assistant" (at PAREXEL)

or QA (in other pharmaceutical companies

good luck

Shivani in Chicago, Illinois

78 months ago

Thank you Chirag for the information.

Does anybody know about the Entry Level Clinical Research opportunities in Mid West region.

Susan in Vancouver, British Columbia

78 months ago

breddi, Toronto said: Hi David,
Nice to hear. Are you in Canada. I also have got CRA certification from KRiger. I am not getting any calls even though i have 6 months real time Clinical trial coordinator experience aprt from Kriger project work exp. In Canada they are asking real time expereince.I am not getting even telephone calls fro preliminary interview. Wats your major in M.Sc. I have done M. Sc. in chemical biology in Canada. I am taking inclass training as well from McMaster univeristy. Any suggestions would be appr.

I also did the CRA course with Kriger. I completed within 3 months and 7 months later I have not been called for an interview. Three different people who were recruiting told me that my Kriger experience was not enough. I also registered with Espoir Bridge recruiters before I took my CRA course and they had advised me to take the CRA course but up to this day nothing has come up through them either. After sending out hundreds of resumes, I am beginning to question the authenticity of both Kriger and Espoir Bridge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alicja Nabzdyk in Oshawa, Ontario

78 months ago

Hello Reddi:
I have graduated from Kriger Research Center on-line CRA course and I feel offended by your comments. I benefited from the course in my professional field : oncology nursing. KRC’s CRA course is recognized as every other course.The experience or lack of it
( new grads ) is another thing : everybody starts somehow and somewhere. Once you are in, you progress. Better than complaining and offending others is to get prepared: have well written and strong resume, get prepared for an interview and keep looking for jobs' postings : statistically it takes around 50 job applications for one call for an interview.
Good lack!
Alicja Nabzdyk

78 months ago

Yes, You are welcome Shivani!!

Search for CRO jobs with PAREXEL International in Mid-west region - I am sure you will find something !

www.indeed.com/jobs?q=company%3A%22Parexel%22

They have various positions available in different locations... other than PAREXEL there are few other companies which are CROs such as PPD, Neptune, etc.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract_research_organization

good luck
ckodas@gmail.com

Shivani in Chicago, Illinois

78 months ago

Chirag in Canton, Massachusetts said: Yes, You are welcome Shivani!!

Search for CRO jobs with PAREXEL International in Mid-west region - I am sure you will find something !

www.indeed.com/jobs?q=company%3A%22Parexel%22

They have various positions available in different locations... other than PAREXEL there are few other companies which are CROs such as PPD, Neptune, etc.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract_research_organization

good luck
ckodas@gmail.com

Thank you Chirag.

srujana in Illinois

78 months ago

Hi Shivani
I am in midwest too.Am looking for some courses.
Mail me at makeit444@yahoo.com.

Goodluck.

PK in Houston, Texas

78 months ago

David Chilton in League City, Texas said: Hi Chris

I got my CRA certification from Kriger Research International. It took about 3 months to complete. The nice thing about this program is that when you complete the course work you are given 4 clinical trial projects to work on. These are active on going clinical trials so the experience you gain from your involvememt counts as actual work exoerinece equivent to ~6 months. This is great because you can put this on your resume. Also, Kriger has a great resume design department that will help you highlight your experiences that are of value to the CRA field, thus making you more marketable. In addition, the final test you take after the course work and conclusion of the project can be taken more than once if you do not pass the first time. The content of the CRA program is identical to the information given in other CRA certification programs like the SOCRA, ACRP and others. After taking the certification course I have had a lot of companies calling me for interviews. I have not landed a position yet but in time that will change. As a matter fo fact, next week I will be interiveiwing for 3 spots with hiring managers. I believe this field is so under employed that in time anyone who has the right acedemic back ground augmented with CRA certification will get a nice position in due time. Just keep at and chances are a CRA postion will come your way. Stay positive!!
all the best
David C. MSc. CCRA

Hi david thanks for the info.
I am from Pharmacy field trying to seek position in clinical area no luck so far .
I wanted to know more about clinical research associe job, Wat it involves what it takes to be successful and is there lot of travel involved?

Cory in Toronto, Ontario

78 months ago

Arlene Kray in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Novum has entry level positions in our Clinical Research Training Program. crtrainingprogram.novumprs.com/

Hi Arlene, there is no link or contact info visible on your company's website, is there an alternative way to contact you?

Barb in Red Bank, New Jersey

77 months ago

L N in Clearwater, Florida said: Hey
I too am a doctorate and now a BSN-to add the clinical component. I totally hear what you are saying...people look at you and say you have a PhD it will not be hard to land a job. But the truth is yes. I am interning now with a research coordinator and with my experience see so much overlap in concepts and terms that am qualified. I would hope that our background experiences would supplement for the mandatory 1 year experience necessitated by most jobs.

I also have just completed an advanced degree (MSN in nursing with a specialty major in Clinical Research Management). In addition, I interned at a large pharm for 3 months and shadowed the CRA's. However, I too am in a "catch 22" situation. On the one hand, I have a desirable background-RN with 10 years of nursing experience and an advanced degree but on the other hand, I've been told that although my background is "ideal" for the CRA role, I still need about 12 months CRA experience in order to land a job. Definitely a "catch 22"!

77 months ago

I have a medical degree and masters in nutrition..with research background 3 publications and number of conference presentations..and hands on research experience in the field and in lab experience..still I am told I dont qualify...I think the people who are recruiting dont have any idea about how to conduct a research

irene bediako-amoa in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

77 months ago

hello
I have completed clinical research associate course and i am looking for entry-level jobs or data/ study coordinator jobs. i am in Canada and ready to travel. Can anyone help me with contacts and networking. My email address is irb139@mail.usask.ca

Thank you

77 months ago

I am a CRA who is in Canada looking for a job, i will be happy if your friend will be able to link me up.

Thanks

Irene

77 months ago

Hi Irene: I would be happy to point you in the right direction. What is your email contact?

77 months ago

416.703.9768 ext 227 is my number Irene

Cory in Toronto, Ontario

77 months ago

For any of those in Canada who want to take a GCP course, BioTalent also has one. It looks like it is approved by the Government of Canada, I don't know much about it, but it wouldn't hurt to take a look:

www.biotalent.ca/courses/courselist.asp?eventtype=1

roner in Dublin, California

77 months ago

Engers Fernandez in Clermont, Florida said: Hello, Kelly

How you doing? I hope you're doing great. I got to this site looking for answers as a CRA opportunity, I have my Medical Doctor degree in Dominican Republic, I took a certification course as a CRA from a canadian company, now it seems that company don't contract CRA as an entry level, I will like to have a Informational Interview with you, just a few e-mail question so I could get better information from somebody that is already in the field.

Thanks before hand,

Engers Fernandez

I am a foreign MD who migrated to the US 4 years ago and working as a Clinical Trial Manager for a CRO. These are the very questions I asked before joining research industry.

I did not complete any pre-employment training (classroom or online)and has worked as a study coordinator for 6 months then later applied as an entry level CRA. The rest is history.

CRO's and pharmaceutical companies also offered entry level position but you need to check website once in a while because these opportunities are not always open. Few minutes ago, I browsed thru the the internet and found some entry level opening. Please keep in mind that "entry level" means entry level as CRA but would require some experience from other research related jobs like study coordinator, data coordinator, regulatory coordinator, or research assistant.

I hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Yvonne in Germantown, Maryland

77 months ago

Cici in Montreal, Quebec said: Hi to you all,
I have a freind of mine that is a CRA in the Montreal area. She keeps telling me that she needs CRA's let me know if you are interested and i'll see what I can do.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi,
I'm interested. Can you please let me know how to go about it?

Thanks.

Vangie in Rowland Heights, California

77 months ago

I am interested as well. Please send me her name and contact number. Thanks a lot.

77 months ago

hi

i am a CRA and i am looking for a job either as a study coordinator or data coordinator, can you help me

amrita in Iselin, New Jersey

77 months ago

HI ,
I recently completed my certification exam of CRA from kriger and is looking for a job opening in NJ.

Pl guide me

amrita

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.