Is it hard to get a CNA job in a hospital

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

tb in Columbus, Ohio

55 months ago

Are they checking credit? Medical history? I've been trying for years to work at a hospital but no luck. Any thoughts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dhayes70 in North Aurora, Illinois

43 months ago

I am finding it very difficult to get hired at a hospital. I have been a CNA for 5 years and have worked every area from nursing homes to hospice care. The only thing I haven't worked is accute care. I have graduated from a phlebotomy program with a 3.2 gpa and will be taking EKG classes in the fall. Many of my colleagues have applied for phlebotomy jobs with no luck. If you dont have experience you cannot get a job. Oh belive me nursing homes are a dime a dozen. You can walk into 10 homes and walk out with 10 jobs. Why, because its slave labour for $8.00 per hour. A hospital is a whole different ballgame. Its actually a professional, respected job.

I have been reverting back to CNA work thinking with my experience I can get hired and transfer to another department within the facility. NO LUCK. Im from Chicagoland and from what I have seen and heard its all who you know. The hospitals in my area are fantastic. Awesome, awesome benefits and great pay. Believe me I have 3 children and its hard to survive on $11.25 per hour working in a nursing home. What scares me is the talk of medicare and medicaid going belly up in 8-10 years. If thats the case goodbye nursing homes. Then what will happen to all those CNA's - where will they go without hospital experience. Another career change? So getting into a hospital has been my ultimate goal. I even tried hospital temp agencies and they said I need 2 years of hospital experience. Well how do you get the experience if no one will hire you to get experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

D in Littleton, Colorado

43 months ago

Perhaps you need to move? Here in CO I was hired by a staffing agency after being a CNA for one to two years as a home aide. The pay is good, the hospitals have offered me jobs but I get benefits through my husbands job so I have stayed with the staffing agency due to the flexibility of the days I work and I can work a job as a home health provider for 20 hours a week @ $20 hour through the state. You may want to check out some job availability online in other locations. I love my job! Best wishes!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

icelily20 in North Brunswick, New Jersey

42 months ago

become a EMT. They will probably hire you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.