Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

How did you get your start doing cnc machinist work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Gustavo Guerrero in Garland, Texas

86 months ago

I LIKE TO KNOW WHAT SCHOOL I CAN GO TO LEARN MORE ABOUT CNC MACHINES OR HOW I CAN GET INFORMATION ABOUT TRAINING FOR THIS KIND MACHINE HORIZONTAL VERTICAL CNC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Providence, Rhode Island

85 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing cnc machinist work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

The best thing to do is to get a job running manual machines first. You can't run a CNC machine unless you have a firm grasp on machining processes first. As for education look into local community colleges with machining courses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Daniel in Huntington Beach, California

85 months ago

Wow...I'll try that again.

Daniel from www.ez-router.com . You can read my story here: www.ez-router.com/index.asp?PageAction=COMPANY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jason A

55 months ago

When I was younger my Father had a small shop he had screw machines and a few small turret lathes and a milling machine, I grew up in a machine shop, I was "scrap boy" for looooong time! Before my dad let me operate a machine, thoes screw machines pumped out a 55 gallon drum full of chips just about every hour "scrap boy" was a serious job is what my Father used to say!, back then they didn't have schools to teach machining, as time went on I moved up to CNC's reading manual that came with the machine and lot of common sence and trail and error, some of the older guys that been around taught me as well about CNC's out of 20 years I been machining there always something new to learn everyday, my Father is gone now thoes days are in past, but if it wasn't for my Father I wouldn't be where I'm at today... schools out there today, TAKE THE ADVANTAGE! Don't wait just go... some companies even send younger workers to school these days, CNC's are changing from day to day, new machines come out every year

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.