what about in the dallas area

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jack in Bristow, Oklahoma

67 months ago

NO none its like I am a non

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Austin, Texas

66 months ago

NO, NO, NO, applied for like 150 jobs, 90% don't even bother to respond at all. 10% sent "nice" letter wishing me good luck. Don't need luck - need a JOB!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Memphis, Tennessee

66 months ago

I have sent out 150 to 200. NO response but the ones like Steve had, "good luck". Anybody have any ideas?

jaywshep in Medon, Tennessee

66 months ago

I lost count of the number I sent out - with same results.

tstrole in Deltona, Florida

66 months ago

Hey waiting on the great hope to pay my car, health and house, hope everyone is happy. But lets see who gets these fed jobs in two years. I have not gotten a hit yet 3 weeks 100 resumes later.

mikewarren

64 months ago

tstrole in Deltona, Florida said: Hey waiting on the great hope to pay my car, health and house, hope everyone is happy. But lets see who gets these fed jobs in two years. I have not gotten a hit yet 3 weeks 100 resumes later.

get ready for a long wait, I've been off 6 mts without any luck, only thank yous

Ed in Arlington, Virginia

64 months ago

Same story here, No hits only a thank you sometimes.
I've lost count but well Over 100 resumes sent out.
You might try networking, and checking in with former employers if there still in business.

John Fieseler in Dallas, Texas

64 months ago

Troy said: Is any one getting replys on thier resume? Its tough out there

No interviews

Leland in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

62 months ago

jayman in Port Saint Lucie, Florida said: nope. its slow as sh*t out there sent out at least 15

I've sent out almost 100 and only one reply and they were going to hire me but lost the job they had for me.

tstrole in Denham Springs, Louisiana

62 months ago

Leland in Port Saint Lucie, Florida said: I've sent out almost 100 and only one reply and they were going to hire me but lost the job they had for me.

Hang iin there, it only took 280 sends for me to land one and then they want or are paying me 250 less a week then my lowest request, thank you obama you are the savior hahahahahaha what a piece of crap he is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JOB BOSS in Dallas, Texas

61 months ago

Troy said: Is any one getting replys on thier resume? Its tough out there

Who's writing your resumes??

Bob from Maine in Limerick, Maine

61 months ago

I had mine professionally done but it doesnt help. I have been looking since January, sent out over 100 resumes I think I have gotten 3 responses letting me know they got it. Not sure how to get an interview

61 months ago

Be prepared to take a major wage cut, the GC's are really takeing advantage. I hit finally after 280 times all over the union. Took a 10k a year cut to do a little bs 2 mil project, but am feeding the family so I am very grateful for that. I pray all of you hit soon as well. Hang in there guys and gals and pray the man falls over with a heart attack and biden chokes on his tongue hahaha

61 months ago

Just sending resume's and e mails won't get it. I saw something very similar to this economy in North Texas in the late 80's.
You have to follow up your resumes with phone calls. A lot of G.C.s have told me they don't even consider someone who doesn't follow up with a phone call. I usually send the resume, then follow up 2 or 3 days later with a letter telling them I'm still interested in going to work for them and just wanted to follow up and make sure my "credentials" were received in good order.
Then, about 3 or 4 days later, I start making phone calls to that same company.
This approach takes a lot of time and effort, but it's usually more than the other people whose resumes are piled on the desk are willing to make. This will make you stick out in their minds.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tstrole in New Orleans, Louisiana

61 months ago

I fully agree with this approch, and it worked on me when I was the General Superintendent. I had 3 men that called and called and we had a chance to talk and you and I both know the longer we can get someone to talk with us the more likely we are able to sell ourselves. But with this said, these times we are in, it is still going to be 40 to 60% unemployed Supers, no one is building, yes there are some very large projects going, but how many of us have these under our belts, I am one that does, but still only doing 40 to 50 mil projects I found it hard to get in the door. Everyone is freaking out on what this dummy is doing in the WH and how much they we have to pay the Gov. I am telling you, these Delevopers are doing this for a reason, they are letting obama know that they can hurt a lot of people so he needs to back off. But in my heart obama does not care, he wants the whites to hit bottom, kind of his pay back for what reason I have not a clue. We in construction are the least racist, because I could care as a super your skin color, if you can do the job and meet the schedule I could care. This man is a racist down to his toe nails and everyone better vote a republican in office were they can, and yes can bash bush but at least we worked and a lot of us made good money that is the reason most of us could sit it out 5 or 6 months. But these time weed out the bad supers as well and we all know of the bad ones and it also weeds out the bad contractors, so there is a little good to come of it, but to all you guys still looking my prayers are with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sam in illinois in Oswego, Illinois

61 months ago

Been out since Nov.,sent out over 50 resume,been doing this for 20+years . its dead, all the generals that i do talk to say that they have jobs but there delvopers can't get loans!

61 months ago

Sam in illinois in Oswego, Illinois said: Been out since Nov.,sent out over 50 resume,been doing this for 20+years . its dead, all the generals that i do talk to say that they have jobs but there delvopers can't get loans!

Yep, that's a fact of life now.
The developer my company was doing business with was told he has to have guaranteed 90% occupant leases signed before they'll even consider his application.
This is a guy they've been doing business with for 20 years!
The problem is that most banks are insolvent. There are still about 125 to 150 banks in the U.S. that are going to fail, plus the commercial real estate market is poised to begin a huge round of defaults.
This will be the "other shoe" dropping after the residential market collapse.
I don't really think banks will even think about lending again until this time next year.

ExSup in Seattle, Washington

60 months ago

Been a residential sup for 24 years (SF units 750K-1.8M). Virtually every other sup I know/have known is out of work or working much reduced hours. Housing starts here are down 60-70%. Many new high rise condos going to auction.

Stimulus $$$ are only going to help you if you:
1-work for union
2-work for a municipality or contractor w/ previous municipal/public ties
3-work in bridge/highway construction and 1 and 2

Will be a great shortage of sups in 2-4 years when things pick up and hopefully increased wages will correspond--for those who choose to wait.

60 months ago

As an former president once said; "I feel your pain".
I'm a commercial superintendent.
Here in the Dallas / Ft. Worth Texas area, most superintendents are laid off. If the General Contractors still have work going on, the project managers are on site running the jobs.
One of our best customers, a real estate developer and millionaire many times over, was told by his bank that they will not finance any commercial retail development unless he can produce signed, guaranteed leases to account for 90% occupancy.
Now that's a tall order; to pony up 90% guarantees on a building that hasn't been built.
And he's been doing business with them for over 20 years and nobody has ever lost a dime.

60 months ago

I feel your pain hahahahah do you really think that fool we have in the WH gives a rats a-s about us or any other white person besides his a-s kissers up there????? I hope all of those stupit people that voted for him are happy now, please watch Fox for the real deal as to what is going on, I promise if you watch it for 3 days you will see.

Let me tell you Florida is just as bad, I believe we are almost to 70% umemployed here for supers, so I have to travel now and am making 350 less a week then before. In the past 10 I have never worked for less then 80k base a year not includeing Truck allowance, Ins, and bonus it is crazy, but I will not forget when it turns around again and I hope all of you are on board with it as well. I am so tired of hearing well with the times we are in I can only pay you this much. Now you tell me, a 15 million dollar project and they only have say 72 in the budget, they are all dirtbags. But it is picking up, I was offered 3 jobs in one week, but only after being out for 8 months.

I need everyone to vote Republican this election cycle, if you do not he "Obama the racist" will have every white man he can on the bread line. Let me tell you why, all of the bale out money is for new Gov. Jobs and if you go to any Gov building tell me the % of Blacks versus whites, I hate talking like this because I am not or have ever been a racist or biggot, but been around enough of the so called educated blacks to know. By educated, they have learned some very big words hell look at Jackson, Faricon, and Wright these are the guys behind the curtains and they will tell you straight up they hate whites and believe we still after all these years and after 3 gens of the same house hold on welfare we still owe them. You ask what this has to with superintendents, well if you do not get the Dems out of office this is going to be how it is for the next 10 years. As for the bush haters that might write remember the Dems had both houses the last 2 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Sam in illinois in Oswego, Illinois said: Been out since Nov.,sent out over 50 resume,been doing this for 20+years . its dead, all the generals that i do talk to say that they have jobs but there delvopers can't get loans!

They are not lieing, my project has been on hold for 5 months to get the 15 mil and it is for FedEx, well they will rent the building, but the guy renting it to them finally got a loan out of Cal believe it or not. Hell the building has a 20 year lease and he could not find the money for a long time. Lets give credit where it is due, Mr. Obama and his racist Zarrs, they are getting a kick out of all us whites out of work, and you have to admit it is whites, not saying anything bad but in the 36 years I have been in the trades and being a super, I found only one black as a super, and I had to come in and tear the steel and pull up the slab, grade beams and pile caps, because he messed it up so bad. Do you believe it, he welded the moment connections, epoxed anchor bolts on main uplift columns"6inches deep and they were "J" hook anchors with the J cut off, they were slick at the bottom as you all know. Then he forgot a piling and put a 3 foot cut off where it should have been, thank God these are the guys they are weeding out.

60 months ago

The problem is that most of the major banks are insolvent. The government is holding them up to prevent a panic, but every week, always on Friday, they're closing more and more. There are some 3 to 400 banks scheduled to be closed before the end of the year.
The banks that are insolvent can't loan money.
Until this straightens itself out, there's not going to be any construction loans.
Another problem is that the commercial real estate market is collapsing.
The developers aren't paying back their loans because of low occupancy, cancelled leases, etc.
Personally, I'm thinking the middle of summer 2010 before anything breaks.

60 months ago

The following is from the WALL STREET JOURNAL ONLINE ADDITION OF SUNDAY, AUGUST 30, 2009;

Federal Reserve and Treasury officials are scrambling to prevent the commercial-real-estate sector from delivering a roundhouse punch to the U.S. economy just as it struggles to get up off the mat.

Their efforts could be undermined by a surge in foreclosures of commercial property carrying mortgages that were packaged and sold by Wall Street as bonds. Similar mortgage-backed securities created out of home loans played a big role in undoing that sector and triggering the global economic recession. Now the $700 billion of commercial-mortgage-backed securities outstanding are being tested for the first time by a massive downturn, and the outcome so far hasn't been pretty.

60 months ago

Thats what I am talking about friend, if it were not for MSN and the like, back in the election year they would not have pulled the plug just as they will keep everything quite under the mid-term you will not hear one bad thing. Why is everyone so slimey up there?
What do think is going to happen once they pass this so called emerncy internet bill, that the Gov and come in and take it over, they again have no details as to who or what makes the call of when and for how long, I am telling you man we are almost to the point that if there is a bad demastration, we will have Marshell law and the elections will be put off, keep this letter I am telling you it is going to happen. Obama does not care about us and nither does Prince Reed they just want the power first then they will reg all of our wages, if you do not have money by now you will never have the chance again. The U.S as we knew it is gone, unless we load both house with the GOP and undo everything for the past year or 2 years, Bush screwed up some, but I still love the man, he had good ethics. You think we have it bad wait till all these Green bills get through man it will take as long as a Nuke plant to get a standard permit, why do we let 20% of the left run the rest of us, it has been this way since Carter.

Sam in oswego in Yorkville, Illinois

60 months ago

tstrole in Deltona, Florida said: They are not lieing, my project has been on hold for 5 months to get the 15 mil and it is for FedEx, well they will rent the building, but the guy renting it to them finally got a loan out of Cal believe it or not. Hell the building has a 20 year lease and he could not find the money for a long time. Lets give credit where it is due, Mr. Obama and his racist Zarrs, they are getting a kick out of all us whites out of work, and you have to admit it is whites, not saying anything bad but in the 36 years I have been in the trades and being a super, I found only one black as a super, and I had to come in and tear the steel and pull up the slab, grade beams and pile caps, because he messed it up so bad. Do you believe it, he welded the moment connections, epoxed anchor bolts on main uplift columns"6inches deep and they were "J" hook anchors with the J cut off, they were slick at the bottom as you all know. Then he forgot a piling and put a 3 foot cut off where it should have been, thank God these are the guys they are weeding out.

Boys ,that boy didn't know what he was doing .How did you find out that he was doing all this incorrect? When the wind pick up!!HAHa

Fritz Webb in Pearl, Mississippi

53 months ago

It's slow and I've sent out over 100 resumes with the same responce. WE'll review and get back with you.

Ed in Reston, Virginia

53 months ago

Fritz Webb in Pearl, Mississippi said: It's slow and I've sent out over 100 resumes with the same responce. WE'll review and get back with you.

Hey Fritz Wash. DC area is almost the same. One of the problems these contractors now have is getting paid for the work they have done. Change order's ? Ya good luck with those. We are still waiting to get paid from a Best Western Hotel that was completed last November. Leans are almost worth the cost of the paper they are printed on. Tough Market every where.

jmichaelkel in Santa Rosa, California

53 months ago

Ed, I was out your way (Arlington)last week interviewing for a job and it looked like a little work was going on. I saw a few jobs being done by Clark, one tower in Arlington, and some good sized work on the way to Dulles Airport. On the plane ride back to CA, I spoke with a couple of guys, both who had been in the Reston area for business. Seems like a place where there is some sort of activity. One guy was a regional manager for Waste Management and the other a manager for L3 Communications.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

robert gonzalez in Miami, Florida

42 months ago

JOB BOSS in Dallas, Texas said: Just sending resume's and e mails won't get it. I saw something very similar to this economy in North Texas in the late 80's.
You have to follow up your resumes with phone calls. A lot of G.C.s have told me they don't even consider someone who doesn't follow up with a phone call. I usually send the resume, then follow up 2 or 3 days later with a letter telling them I'm still interested in going to work for them and just wanted to follow up and make sure my "credentials" were received in good order.
Then, about 3 or 4 days later, I start making phone calls to that same company.
This approach takes a lot of time and effort, but it's usually more than the other people whose resumes are piled on the desk are willing to make. This will make you stick out in their minds.

Its easy when you have a contact name, phone and e-mail address. I have sent out over 100 resumes over the career builders site and have not heard ONE.If I had a contact I would be at the door day in-day out.

Jim in Boca Raton, Florida

42 months ago

robert gonzalez in Miami, Florida said: Its easy when you have a contact name, phone and e-mail address. I have sent out over 100 resumes over the career builders site and have not heard ONE.If I had a contact I would be at the door day in-day out.

Robert, where have you worked in Florida ?

Earth Wright in Sevierville, Tennessee

42 months ago

These timees are very lean. I have started to get calls from recruiters but no interviews. I have found that the posted positions are almost always too old to be helpful. "Pounding the pavement" by using all of your resources is the best way to find somthing available. I have yet to get any work from a "posted position". You have to network, using websites like LinkedIn. Network, network, network!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

You can't depend on "job boards" and newspaper ads. By the time the boards post the jobs, they're either gone or they've got a line of guys out the door that looks like the men's restroom at the Super Bowl.
The newspaper ads are just as bad, plus, many are posted anonymously, so you have no idea who posted it.
The best resource I've found is the Blue Book of Construction. (www.thebluebook.com)
They'll list every architect, engineer, sub and general contractors in your area and around the country, complete with company profiles, addresses, phone and fax numbers.
That and the local phone book are better than the job boards and newspapers any day.

42 months ago

Earth Wright in Sevierville, Tennessee said: These timees are very lean. I have started to get calls from recruiters but no interviews. I have found that the posted positions are almost always too old to be helpful. "Pounding the pavement" by using all of your resources is the best way to find somthing available. I have yet to get any work from a "posted position". You have to network, using websites like LinkedIn. Network, network, network!

Recruiters are bogus. I've had my name spread around recruiters for years now. All they do is call or send an email about every six months or so and ask if I'm still looking for a job.
I think they just have to keep your name on their books so it looks like they're doing something.
I agree 100% on the network and pounding the pavement approach. Even if it doesn't get you anything right away, it leaves an impression with the people you come into contact with. When they DO have a need for somebody, you'll stick out in their minds, over and above a voice on the phone or an email.
Another tactic is to have some business cards printed with your name and contact numbers and list your title as "PROJECT SUPERINTENDENT", "PROJECT MANAGER", etc.
On the back of the card, print a very brief listing of qualifications;

"Experienced in custom homes, 800K and up."
"Proficient in Retail Construction; ground up to tenant finish out."
"Specializing in Schools, K thru 12, public and private."
"OSHA Trained, American Red Cross Certified, AED / CPR, Excellent Safety Record."

With times being what they are, people have to do something to stand out from the herd.

ASD in Maryville in Maryville, Tennessee

41 months ago

Earth Wright in Sevierville, Tennessee said: These timees are very lean. I have started to get calls from recruiters but no interviews. I have found that the posted positions are almost always too old to be helpful. "Pounding the pavement" by using all of your resources is the best way to find somthing available. I have yet to get any work from a "posted position". You have to network, using websites like LinkedIn. Network, network, network!

I am looking for a Superintendent in East Tennessee....If you are interested...j.housley68@gmail.com

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.