The New Construction Superintendent 9-26-10

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Poppa Brown in Texas

51 months ago

My View---
We have to be able to set back and re-evaluate ourselves to see how we can 'lean' down to a saleable product. I sent out over 3500 resumes worldwide. Some of the few responses were very informative, but most wanted someone who would take less and do more with huge responsibilities. For myself, I had to figure 40+ years in construction and 22+ years as a site super didn't seem to mean much to anyone but me.

I did not throw it out the window, but decided that I would minimize my past, and high-light what would sell me to the project. I am not the smartest person in my field, schooling wise, but figured if I truly want the job I would have to compromise and accept the fact I would need to settle for a lesser compensation to be able to get what I needed to survive.

I know this seems long winded, but please bear with me.....

You will need to stress your experience and project history while also stating the willingness to start lower down the ladder and work back up to your previous level. My age has a BIG minus factor with a lot of companies that seem to feel they can get a person they want to train and pay less for, and settle for a leeser product to boot. This is wrong on so many levels, but is turning out to be the new mindset. Train yourself to think way outside the box, be flexible, and try not to belittle yourself.

WE ARE PROFFESIONALS, THE ONES WHO HAVE BLEED FOR OUR FAMILIES!

Don't give up, keep putting yourself out there, work your intro letters to fit the position, be brief and to the point. Look into starting off in a contract position with an eye to a more permenant position, if that's what it takes. I did.

Remember, you can be your own worse enemy. Have someone critique your cover letter and resume, maybe do one or two practice interviews and see (maybe even record one with one of your buddies that can be firm but fair in their evaluation). You really have nothing to lose but everything to gain. And if nothing else, feel good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

cgist in Memphis, Tennessee

51 months ago

Thanks Poppa Brown...

I agree with you. It is sad to be older, highly experienced and now overlooked. I too have sent out over 1000 resumes and I did get a temporary job on a retail remodel which was a life saver but it is over and I am back to square one. I too had to take less, expect more of myself and work harder!! Thanks for taking the time to encourage everyone. No job can be really depressing!

Chris

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

legg31@aol.com

50 months ago

cgist in Memphis, Tennessee said: Thanks Poppa Brown...

I agree with you. It is sad to be older, highly experienced and now overlooked. I too have sent out over 1000 resumes and I did get a temporary job on a retail remodel which was a life saver but it is over and I am back to square one. I too had to take less, expect more of myself and work harder!! Thanks for taking the time to encourage everyone. No job can be really depressing!

Chris

Chris Please send me you resume ASAP I have several projects starting the Monday after Thanksgiving. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

legg31@aol.com

50 months ago

Poppa Brown in Texas said: My View---
We have to be able to set back and re-evaluate ourselves to see how we can 'lean' down to a saleable product. I sent out over 3500 resumes worldwide. Some of the few responses were very informative, but most wanted someone who would take less and do more with huge responsibilities. For myself, I had to figure 40+ years in construction and 22+ years as a site super didn't seem to mean much to anyone but me.

I did not throw it out the window, but decided that I would minimize my past, and high-light what would sell me to the project. I am not the smartest person in my field, schooling wise, but figured if I truly want the job I would have to compromise and accept the fact I would need to settle for a lesser compensation to be able to get what I needed to survive.

I know this seems long winded, but please bear with me.....

You will need to stress your experience and project history while also stating the willingness to start lower down the ladder and work back up to your previous level. My age has a BIG minus factor with a lot of companies that seem to feel they can get a person they want to train and pay less for, and settle for a leeser product to boot. This is wrong on so many levels, but is turning out to be the new mindset. Train yourself to think way outside the box, be flexible, and try not to belittle yourself.

WE ARE PROFFESIONALS, THE ONES WHO HAVE BLEED FOR OUR FAMILIES!

Don't give up, keep putting yourself out there, work your intro letters to fit the position, be brief and to the point. Look into starting off in a contract position with an eye to a more permenant position, if that's what it takes. I did.

Remember, you can be your own worse enemy. Have someone critique your cover letter and resume, maybe do one or two practice interviews and see (maybe even record one with one of your buddies that can be firm but fair in their evaluation). You really have nothing to lose but everything to gain

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.