Residential Construction

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

cwhill7 in Charlotte, North Carolina

59 months ago

Why won't Commercial companies even consider me for employment, when I have over 14 years as a residential builder?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RobInStLouis in Waterloo, Illinois

59 months ago

I'm in the same situation. I was a residential for seven years and they won't call me, either. I suspect it's because of the differences in construction processes. Of course, there's a world of difference between residential and a refinery. I'm wondering about how I can fare by going back to school and getting my construction management degree. They all seem to want it.

jmichaelkel in Windsor, California

59 months ago

I do not think it makes a difference. I have 25 years in the industry and I am a journeyman carpenter, have a degree in Construction Management, and I am a CA state licensed contractor. For the last 21 years I have worked as a commercial project manager. This economy sucks. I have spent the last year applying for hundreds of jobs (some outside of the box) and have sent out hundreds of resumes. I am lucky to have gotten a handfull of responses - most of them thank you and good luck. Only one resulted in an interview. I have tried to get on with some of the LOGCAP IV contractors but they are only looking at those with previous LOGCAP experience. I have resorted to putting back on my bags and doing small residential remodels, decks, fences,...anything that makes a buck! The commercial sector is dead and there are very few Tenant Improvements or commercial buildings coming out of the ground these days in California.Being a small start up contractor is futile as there is nothing to bid and what there is to bid ivery competitive, almost cutthroat with out of area contractors coming in and doing work for nothing. Anybody need a good guy, contact me. I will relocate.

59 months ago

Click on Construction Superintendent job trends to the right of the page (if it is on YOUR screen). The graph says it all!
You look around and there are a lot of commercial spaces still up for lease. No point in building anything when they can move right in.

cwhill7 in Charlotte, North Carolina

59 months ago

Thank you for all of your input, I realize that I am not the only one in this sinking boat, so to speak, but does anyone have any idea what direction to go in when all I know is how to build a house..........?

jmichaelkel in Windsor, California

59 months ago

When not in total dispair, I have been doing what I can - building fences, decks, house remodels, people's honey do's. Its a far cry from making in hourly wage and benefits what I used to and not quite like bringing a multi million dollar project out of the ground, but it beats sitting around feeling bad. The choices are to keep the faith and hang in there or look for something else out of our industry or something that you can larerally transfer your skills to. My insurance agent tells me there is a booming business in fixer uppers for realtors and banks on homes whih have foreclosed and are for sale.

59 months ago

House inspector? Claims adjuster? Strap on a tool belt and start your remodeling business? Get creative, I guess.

jrandall in Mount Airy, Maryland

38 months ago

jmichaelkel in Windsor, California said: I do not think it makes a difference. I have 25 years in the industry and I am a journeyman carpenter , have a degree in Construction Management , and I am a CA state licensed contractor. For the last 21 years I have worked as a commercial project manager. This economy sucks. I have spent the last year applying for hundreds of jobs (some outside of the box) and have sent out hundreds of resumes. I am lucky to have gotten a handfull of responses - most of them thank you and good luck. Only one resulted in an interview. I have tried to get on with some of the LOGCAP IV contractors but they are only looking at those with previous LOGCAP experience. I have resorted to putting back on my bags and doing small residential remodels, decks, fences,...anything that makes a buck! The commercial sector is dead and there are very few Tenant Improvements or commercial buildings coming out of the ground these days in California.Being a small start up contractor is futile as there is nothing to bid and what there is to bid ivery competitive, almost cutthroat with out of area contractors coming in and doing work for nothing. Anybody need a good guy, contact me. I will relocate.

Well vote another 4 years of this bull in office! Can't blame Bush He wasn't here for the past 4 years and the dem's had the house & Sen. for 4 of the last 6 and could even pass a budget let alone Make jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.