Traveling Retail Construction Superintendent

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 109)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Ron Yeary in Manitou Beach, Michigan

67 months ago

Have been a traveling superintendent for 23 years. I work with my tool's. I am employed with a company that has no work, which means i am looking

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Tom in West Palm Beach, Florida

66 months ago

I had to go to Canada to get the job I just finished. In Vancouver the recession was just arriving when I left. I have dual citizenship which gives me a bigger geographical area to search, but there isn't much that I can find.
I imagine I will have to retrain to do something else but I'm waiting to see if my 30 years at this doesn't have to be chucked. The wife's not too happy with the traveling anyway.

Best of luck to everyone out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

TradesProfessional in Los Angeles, California

66 months ago

Been a traditional & working super in retail and restaurant for more than 25 years. I'm always working. . . just have to be flexible and innovative. Right now Southern Cal and Texas is where the work is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Hey Trades,
Glad to hear there is some work out there. As a travelling supt "flexible" is the defining characteristic. I find the "innovative" part means smaller per diem,smaller wages and bigger self perform scope.

Anyway I'm tweaking the old resume 10 ways from Sunday and chasing some leads. Best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Tom in West Palm Beach, Florida said: Hey Trades,
Glad to hear there is some work out there. As a travelling supt "flexible" is the defining characteristic. I find the "innovative" part means smaller per diem,smaller wages and bigger self perform scope.

Anyway I'm tweaking the old resume 10 ways from Sunday and chasing some leads. Best of luck!

I don't negotiate on salary or per diem. If I have to tool up and do a subs job(s) it's extra.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in Big Sky, Montana

66 months ago

I have been a working and a non-working super in retail for years now. Last year the jobs just seemed to dry up. I live in Montana and there is very little work here. In '06-'07 I was receiving ten or more jobs a day. Now it is down to one or two a month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ron Yeary

66 months ago

Yes the retail work has stopped. I have been a traveling superintendent for 26 years, this is the first time i have been sitting home. I work for a very good company in Ohio and they have nothing. The retail is gone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John Michel in La Crosse, Wisconsin

65 months ago

I've been on the road nationwide in big box retail, airports and factories as a mechanical superintendent for the past 13 years installing conveyors and machinery and this is the first time I have been laid off, been off for 3 months and seeking employment. Willing to continue nationwide travel with per diem or expenses pd.
Past employers FKI Logistex, TIG, and Hilmot Corp.

Ron Yeary

65 months ago

Don't feel bad i have been on the road 23 years as a retail supt. not worked since Jan. It's bad, what is the answer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Roby in San Antonio, Texas

65 months ago

am like ron above, been on the road for over 15 and now nothing, anyone got any ideas?

David Pierce in Sheffield, Iowa

65 months ago

Ron Yeary said: TRI-RIVERS IN PENN. IS LOOKING FOR THREE SUPERS TO DO WAL-MART AND K-MART A.D.A. UPDATE REMODELS

A note about Tri-Rivers as I have been there done that - they'll tell you the job is 100% bought out, but when I arrived to do a Wal-mart "Picture Me" it was 0% bought out. I had to do everything but the electrical and they kept telling me "we'll work out the extra $$$ at the end of the job". Yeah. Well, the end of the job came and they wanted me to go straight to another one. I wanted to work out the $$$ on the first one first. They said, well, if things were better we'd kick you $300!!, but with the economy the way it is, we just don't have it. Pay sucks, per diem sucks and they have you run all over "PRICE CHECKING" materials because none of that is figured out either. I did their first one and they kept telling me we've done a million of these. When the job was over I got an all star review and in talking with them they said "alright! our first one!" Oh, back to the price checking, YOU have to pay for the first 50 miles of all this "PRICE CHECKING" you're doing for them (one way). Just a heads up. It was work, it was better than nothing at the time, but in the long run, my tools, my blades and I received nothing but grief for it. Like I said, they wouldn't even pay mileage for their own crap! Good luck to you with Tri-River.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

jhollywood in Voorhees, New Jersey

62 months ago

looking for super work and to say hi to all you supers that do know me i hope we get something soon i can be reached at johnny.hollywood@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

pdm in Austin, Texas

62 months ago

Is there any construction going on in the states???

jhollywood in Voorhees, New Jersey

62 months ago

i heard you guys in texas had some restaurants going up in san antonio but here in florida we are dead and i just visited new jersey they are dead i dont know what to do either if any one knows of a job please post this sitting on the couch sucks no money cant drink lol

johnnyhollywood in ft lauderdale, Florida

62 months ago

"I started a web site called rockhardchic.com I have a good idea and it will make money but i need help financal and help running business my e mail is johnny.hollywood@yahoo.com i need some partners/investers any ideas please email me thanks"sincerly thanks from a unemployed super looking for change tired of giveing my all and when the jobs done and they used us all up where unemployed again traveled for 30 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kevinkhiggins@peoplepc.com in Yonkers, New York

61 months ago

Been running work nationwide for 17 years,now sitting and waiting..
Have sent out over 100 resumes in the last 6 months..
Know several supers in the same boat, 3 years ago had job offers every month, today, can't buy a job..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Things are bad down here in Florida. I'm working on the house and waiting. I'm thinking of starting a small business of some sort. It's tough to know what might work when everyone is conserving cash and cancelling basic services. Most of my old employers are down to skeleton staff with senior V.P's running what work they have at much reduced pay. It seems those juicy days of generous per diem, nice rental cars and six figure incomes are gone forever.

Don't mean to whine. Best of luck Kevin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

So true kevin a buddy of mine just flew out to O.K. to a posable hire there paying 60 g a year 25 a day perdiem and no car allance 50 cents a mile derdiem only 6 day cuz they dont work on sunday even tho your out of town there not paying for it rediculas the rich getting richer and no middle class .........

kevinkhiggins@peoplepc.com

61 months ago

johnnyhollywood in ft lauderdale, Florida said: So true kevin a buddy of mine just flew out to O.K. to a posable hire there paying 60 g a year 25 a day perdiem and no car allance 50 cents a mile derdiem only 6 day cuz they dont work on sunday even tho your out of town there not paying for it rediculas the rich getting richer and no middle class .........

I was currently employed by a GC from OK...nothing going on out there..any of you guys that have "big box" or hospital qualifications look up "traveling superintendents,nationwide construction"..has a good listing..all I know is retail..
Good Luck, Kevin

GwrBuilder@aol.com in Chicago, Illinois

61 months ago

I also have been doing Retail and TI work for over 30 years. Never has it been this bad. But the 80s were bad too. But have faith! Like most of problems us Supt's face on the jobsite.... many times they are actually opportunities to prove our abilities to solve problems.We got into this business because we love building.Our customers allowed us the privilege to do just that. We perhaps have overbuilt retail space and it is directly affected by the housing market which demanded services those retail merchants provided.Until the housing Mkt is fixed it will be slow for us.Like everyone else we will be asked to do more for less until it turns around.fellow Supers Im thinking 5 years.....or more. Meanwhile we have to feed our familys.As hard as it seems we need to figure out where we fit into the new order................home remodeling and ADA work might get us by...but it wont be easy.

kevinkhiggins@peoplepc.com

61 months ago

GwrBuilder@aol.com in Chicago, Illinois said: I also have been doing Retail and TI work for over 30 years. Never has it been this bad. But the 80s were bad too. But have faith! Like most of problems us Supt's face on the jobsite.... many times they are actually opportunities to prove our abilities to solve problems.We got into this business because we love building.Our customers allowed us the privilege to do just that. We perhaps have overbuilt retail space and it is directly affected by the housing market which demanded services those retail merchants provided.Until the housing Mkt is fixed it will be slow for us.Like everyone else we will be asked to do more for less until it turns around.fellow Supers Im thinking 5 years.....or more. Meanwhile we have to feed our familys.As hard as it seems we need to figure out where we fit into the new order................home remodeling and ADA work might get us by...but it wont be easy.

Yes I agree, we have probably outbuilt, the company I WORK (worked for put all their eggs in 1 basket..Abercrombie and Pacific Sunwear,..boy, had some good times the last 5 years..job after job, couldn't beg a week off..guess making up for it now. Had a job offer, if I will take a 800.00 cut in pay, pick up my lodging (reinbursed) and work 6 days a week..sounds good, huh?

GwrBuilder@aol.com in Chicago, Illinois

61 months ago

We all have to be careful with new package deals.We need to work but not become victims. Too many companys are doing jobs at cost to keep their lights on,this business is to risky for that.Be careful,be very careful about spending your money to go to work........give back but dont give away.Work for reputable companies that treat the customer and you fairly........or we will all lose out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

nickthekick in Independence, Missouri

59 months ago

Ron Yeary in Manitou Beach, Michigan said: Have been a traveling superintendent for 23 years. I work with my tool's. I am employed with a company that has no work, which means i am looking

Hey get a hold of The Jade Group,Inc. in Duluth,Ga. Ask for Bob Korieaha

kevin higgins in Bronx, New York

59 months ago

Know the feeling have been chasing and sending out resumes for 6 months, send out at least 12 per week, am overqualified or not enough, hang in there, brother, it has got to change.

59 months ago

There is work in the West and North West markets. I strongly suggest that everyone stay to your salary/per diem and travel pay requirements as they have been. . . if not, lowering these will drive them down. $1,350. per week and $85. per day per diem is fair for most markets; at current fuel prices .65 per mile is correct. I get offers for less and simply decline as I don't negotiate on this. Let them go ahead and take on the super who's agreed to $800. a week. . . he'll cost them at least $10K in mistake(s), if not the client and account as well. If you've been a working super in retail & restaurant you're one of the best tradesmen out here; and when there's no commercial work available take the skills into the high end residential market. . . that's what I meant by being innovative and creative. The client/customer base in high end residential is still spending money.

Best regards and wishes for all on the board here. If I can be of help to anyone let me know.

Mike Lonergan
TradesProfessional, Inc.
tradesprofessional.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

d9pierce@mchsi.com in Charles City, Iowa

59 months ago

TradesProfessional in Los Angeles, California said: There is work in the West and North West markets. I strongly suggest that everyone stay to your salary/per diem and travel pay requirements as they have been. . . if not, lowering these will drive them down. $1,350. per week and $85. per day per diem is fair for most markets; at current fuel prices .65 per mile is correct. I get offers for less and simply decline as I don't negotiate on this. Let them go ahead and take on the super who's agreed to $800. a week. . . he'll cost them at least $10K in mistake(s), if not the client and account as well. If you've been a working super in retail & restaurant you're one of the best tradesmen out here; and when there's no commercial work available take the skills into the high end residential market. . . that's what I meant by being innovative and creative. The client/customer base in high end residential is still spending money.

Best regards and wishes for all on the board here. If I can be of help to anyone let me know.

Mike Lonergan
TradesProfessional, Inc.
tradesprofessional.com

Remember me Mike, You speak a good game but may I remember the cluster**** you left us with in Puerto Rico? Have fun and good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

I remember the cluster**** and it will always be a project I regret. . . for alot of reasons.

john hollywood in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

59 months ago

has anyone found any work out there traveling super

59 months ago

What ever happened to the big boys like fisher

59 months ago

Big hope they got free beer cuz the sitting around sucks if i dont get a job soon going to have to work for bar to pay my tab lol thanks for the info

59 months ago

Hey John, you asked about Fisher. I finished my last job for them in February. While I was finishing up, people that had been with the company for 20 years were being let go. They're a great company and I hope they can hang on and bounce back. Like most generals I believe they're doing anything to keep the lights on including modular (green) school buildings.

For me I guess retraining is the only logical path. I have almost 40 years in construction on my resume and it's worth bupkis.

59 months ago

John, I can tell you that there is a 170 store and restaurant nationwide roll out in the works that bids are due on Nov. 7th. There are 24 national GC's now preparing those bids and there will naturally be a demand within this scope for PM's and supers that have retail and restaurant experience. The project schedule will actually commence sometime after the first of January.

kevin higgins in Staten Island, New York

59 months ago

Let me know who to contact, not a lot of resturant expierince, a couple of Wendys and acouple of Applebees, but a ton of retail.

59 months ago

kevin higgins in Staten Island, New York said: Let me know who to contact, not a lot of resturant expierince, a couple of Wendys and a couple of Applebees, but a ton of retail.

Right now it's in bidding and I don't expect there to be a schedule established or projects awarded until after the first. There's 170 stores proposed for remodel and it will likely be divided up by market, i.e., southeast, northeast, midwest, etc. etc. I'll post what comes to my knowledge here on this forum. I can tell you that the bigger CM/GC's are those that are on the table. . . those that can handle such scopes of work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tim Meinert in Blanco, Texas

59 months ago

Any body know who might be hiring experienced traveling construction superintendents. I have a lot of knowledge in the retail, resturaunt sector to heavy civil and vertical. My company of 16 years decided to close the doors without notifying anyone. I need a few leads and I can do the rest.

Thanks Tim

kevin higgins in Piscataway, New Jersey

59 months ago

Tim,
Go to Superintendent Jobs from Ideed, have a lot of listings for civil supers in Texas.
Good luck, let us know.
Kevin

kevin higgins in Piscataway, New Jersey

59 months ago

Tim,
Made a bobo, its Superintendent jobs from Indeed
Good luck, Kevin

Tim Meinert in Blanco, Texas

59 months ago

I have submited resumes from listings on Indeed's website and not even a return email. You would think that someone that has been around for 20 years as a traveling superintendent, and seen just about everything, would get at least a email back.

59 months ago

Well yes a return e mail would be nice but then again i remember that if it didnot sute them sometimes i been left in the cold on jobs i didnt even know the office excisted lolol any way i still have not forund anything either but looks hope full around 2012 dec should be tons of work rebuilding after everything is gone lol good luck to all

Jim D in Red Lion, Pennsylvania

58 months ago

8 months and still plugging along. Why is it the one industry that is so critical to help keep America growing and expanding, seems to always take the biggest hit. And finding that my skills and experience are not as easily shifted to another industry

cgist in Memphis, Tennessee

58 months ago

has anyone found work yet? I have been looking for 1 year this week! I have sent out over 1000 resumes! (I counted them) and I have gotten some calls but I think most of the calls were from G.C.'s hoping to get work. What is everyone else search like? Any tips? Oh yeah, 18 + years of commercial experioence, 5 years Target Corp. New Super Stores, remodels...

go getter in Tucson, Arizona

58 months ago

TradesProfessional in Los Angeles, California said: I don't negotiate on salary or per diem. If I have to tool up and do a subs job(s) it's extra.

thats why you are still sitting on the bench.......

58 months ago

YO YO YO MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL
NO BUDDY IS GETTING A PRESENT THIS YEAR I AM BROKE LOL BUT THINGS ARE LOOKING UP THE FOOD LINE AT THE CHURCH IS LOOKING SMALLER

58 months ago

Tom in West Palm Beach, Florida said: Hey John, you asked about Fisher. I finished my last job for them in February. While I was finishing up, people that had been with the company for 20 years were being let go. They're a great company and I hope they can hang on and bounce back. Like most generals I believe they're doing anything to keep the lights on including modular (green) school buildings.

For me I guess retraining is the only logical path. I have almost 40 years in construction on my resume and it's worth bupkis.

Tom whats up i cant stand this sitting around no more might go to Alaska found a drilling job the money is real good but the risk is high but i need a new Harley so got to do it if i can get in later happy holidays

58 months ago

kevinkhiggins@peoplepc.com said: Yes I agree, we have probably outbuilt, the company I WORK (worked for put all their eggs in 1 basket..Abercrombie and Pacific Sunwear,..boy, had some good times the last 5 years..job after job, couldn't beg a week off..guess making up for it now. Had a job offer, if I will take a 800.00 cut in pay, pick up my lodging (reinbursed) and work 6 days a week..sounds good, huh?

Keven how you been me still looking give me a holler @ johnny.hollywood@yahoo.com

58 months ago

Had several of those $5-$800 dollar less offers and declined, primarily fast food. They usually want supers with tools and trades abilities, thus this means you'll be supering/framing/drywalling and fixturing. . . all within that $800 cut. . . they'll turn you into a slave.
To ride this out you need to be innovative. I have been doing really well in high end residential and independent commercial, e.g., restaurant & bar and office remodels. I’m scheduled solidly with projects through March and can tell you the keys are you have put the tools on, doing the work yourself with a couple helpers. The work is out there, you just have to associate and circle in the areas the clientele you want to target are, i.e., VIP hot spots & hangouts.

Some light at the end of the tunnel:
I do know that Pilot Travel Centers has acquired the Flying J controlling interests and they recently surveyed 170 J stores for remodels. This will include convenience store and restaurant remodels where they will be replacing alot of full service restaurants with 2 fast food stores, primarily Arby's and Taco Bells. Plans have been issued to CM/GC's in 7 national markets for bidding and the project remodels are currently tentatively scheduled to commence in the spring of 2010. Having the OSHA 30 hour certificate will definitely help in getting you to the front of the line on this concerning considerations, it's quickly becoming a requirement and law in a lot of states and every tradesman on a job will have to have the 10 hour certificate as well.

Gonzo in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

58 months ago

Great news I have my 10 hr card, and 30 hr card. I have also put on my tool belt and doing Handyman Services. Anyone that I come into contact with, or is close to me they get my card. I have networked with all my family, friends, my wife's family, and her friends, and it has been great. I was laid off for about 8 months, and I also have learned a new trade, installing windows and doors. So like you said the work is out there you just have to go get it!!!!!

Douglas Kevin McPherson in Phoenix, Arizona

57 months ago

I have been looking for work for almost a year with 29 years experience and have only a few responses to my resume circulation. I anticipate more opportunities after the new year and have faith that we will rebound. This happened in the 80's and lasted a couple of years but we rebounded. If it takes wearing my tools and picking up a few of the small aspects of the TI project, so be it. Try deferring a portion of your wages until a future date and put trust in a company. I am getting more responses since taking this approach and have landed interviews for work in 2010 because I am willing to work with a GC rather than look at them as cut throats. If I don't make as much as I used to, that's fine. Something is better than nothing.

Jay Glass in Highlands, Texas

57 months ago

Douglas Kevin McPherson in Phoenix, Arizona said: I have been looking for work for almost a year with 29 years experience and have only a few responses to my resume circulation. I anticipate more opportunities after the new year and have faith that we will rebound. This happened in the 80's and lasted a couple of years but we rebounded. If it takes wearing my tools and picking up a few of the small aspects of the TI project, so be it. Try deferring a portion of your wages until a future date and put trust in a company. I am getting more responses since taking this approach and have landed interviews for work in 2010 because I am willing to work with a GC rather than look at them as cut throats. If I don't make as much as I used to, that's fine. Something is better than nothing.

Douglas I am glad to hear that you a good out look on the next year.It is know that there are a lot of companies out there that what the Supers to do more and more on the job. I know that I have been doing alot for the companies that I have been with but still I am like so many others out there that are looking. A lot of the compies that i have been talking with do have a better out look for the new year and now they are in hopes that Obamha will kick some of the banks in the ass for sitting on all that money that we the tax payers loaned them to get there asses out of a sling. Smile and the whole world will smile too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Kevin, being you're in Phoenix there's a contractor there named Monza in Chandler that does retail & restaurant ground up, TI and buildout and is licensed in Arizona, California and Utah. Go to monzaconstruction.com and forward them a resume, being sure to let them know you're a local. The owners a stand up guy and if he likes what he reads/sees he may have you come in. Don't call, just send in your resume with a cover letter, and again, let him know you're a local.

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.