To be the best...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every construction superintendent must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your construction superintendent expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Norm Yeager in Chattanooga, Tennessee

87 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every construction superintendent must have to excel? Organization,Persistence,Fairness(TRAITS),(Carpentry,Computers,Communication)

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your construction superintendent expertise?

Send RFI Questions out numbered, one at a time and if you don't get an answer always refer back to the same number with a revision #. If you get a response but not an answer this enables you to keep an accurate record of your communication and the responsiveness of the Architect, Owner,etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Carol in Brooklyn, New York

79 months ago

Patience, forsight and stamina

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mark Krall 724-620-0887 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

78 months ago

I have 12 years exp. as a traveling retail construction superintendent.
Please contact me with company(s) looking for same. Will FAX my resume.
Thank You,
Mark J. Krall
724-620-0997

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Grant in Mobile, Alabama

78 months ago

1. Bleed on the drawings, know the details better than your trades, never second guess design, when in question refer to specs.
2. Keep all your recrods. I keep inspection logs, Sketch logs, rfi logs, meeting log, phone logs, change order logs, sub contractor scope logs, rfc logs....
3.Take charge the first day. Your subs want someone in charge and someone to go to for help, if your not in charge from day one, they will run the job for you- you don't want that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

john ottman in Ashaway, Rhode Island

77 months ago

Mark Krall 724-620-0887 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I have 12 years exp. as a traveling retail construction superintendent.
Please contact me with company(s) looking for same. Will FAX my resume.
Thank You,
Mark J. Krall
724-620-0997

i may have something for you
john
farmergoods@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sean in Spokane, Washington

75 months ago

Plan Prepare and Execute. I have also found that being brief about things is huge noone has time for small talk time is money be clear and concise

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rick Eckert in Glendale, Arizona

73 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every construction superintendent must have to excel?

1. Being able to read blueprints
2. Being able to put a schedule together that really works, keep it aggressive or the subs will walk all over you.
3. Communication with the subs is reallly important.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Preston in Coquitlam, British Columbia

70 months ago

Can you explain what you meant with the never 2nd guess design?

Grant in Mobile, Alabama said: 1. Bleed on the drawings, know the details better than your trades, never second guess design, when in question refer to specs.
2. Keep all your recrods. I keep inspection logs, Sketch logs, rfi logs, meeting log, phone logs, change order logs, sub contractor scope logs, rfc logs....
3.Take charge the first day. Your subs want someone in charge and someone to go to for help, if your not in charge from day one, they will run the job for you- you don't want that.

gary neal in Norman, Oklahoma

70 months ago

I have been a traveling retail construction superintendent for over 30+ years know and find myself out of work and no good prospects on companys hiring know . can anyone help me find new leads or info on who is hireing know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Gonzo Zaldumbide in Plantation, Florida

66 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every construction superintendent must have to excel?

Persuasive demeanor, Safety awareness, bi-lingual, knowledgable in the current bld codes, computer literate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Rick Eckert in Glendale, Arizona said: 1. Being able to read blueprints
2. Being able to put a schedule together that really works, keep it aggressive or the subs will walk all over you.
3. Communication with the subs is reallly important.

SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Sean in Spokane, Washington said: Plan Prepare and Execute. I have also found that being brief about things is huge noone has time for small talk time is money be clear and concise

You must have a pre-con meeting with all subs, owners, arch, GC's, for all new jobs. That is where you set the tone of the project!!! It has worked for me every single timw!!!!

66 months ago

Grant in Mobile, Alabama said: 1. Bleed on the drawings, know the details better than your trades, never second guess design, when in question refer to specs.

I dont agree with your 1st response. Archs, Engineers make mistakes. When in question consult with them, I have personally corrected flaws in drawings, specs, and they have always have accepted different means and methods.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

David Poplin in Arlington, Texas

65 months ago

I have been a working, traveling retail construction super for 15 years. I am out of work and looking everywhere. Game Stops, Foot Locker, Radio Shacks (ugh), have been my primary stores. I am fully tooled. Does anyone know of any openings?
David Poplin, dpoplin@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Don in San Marcos, Texas

64 months ago

Gonzo Zaldumbide in Plantation, Florida said: You must have a pre-con meeting with all subs, owners, arch, GC's, for all new jobs. That is where you set the tone of the project!!! It has worked for me every single timw!!!!

A subcontractor meeting at least weekly, more often on a large job. have all the foreman sit at a tabel in a meeting enviroment. Go over the things that are late in being completed. Every time someone is waiting on someone else. have them look at each other and explain their needs from the other trades. Go over the things that need to be completed for the next week. Have them coordinate with each other. This takes a load off of you, and you will see that one tradesman will react to another tradesman quicker that he will you. Have them get to know each other.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

also if you are having meetings about delays or work not being completed, you are too late, the super has to see these things coming and inform all parties immidiatelty, and have a plan of action. I blast emails when i see delays coming and i copy the whole team even the owners, presidents whoever i always document everything!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike LaBelle in Richmond, Virginia

63 months ago

1.Document everything.
Phone calls, changes, rfi's, rfq's, everything. Pictures and video are good too.

2. Pre-con meetings are a must, as are weekly sub contractor meetings.Weekly safety and sub contractor meetings have always helped me on my projects, helps to work out any unforseen issues, design & engineering problems.

3. Having the trades coordinate with each other is always a good idea, just remember to stay an top of them and keep them focused on the task at hand.

Dirty Harry in New Port Richey, Florida

63 months ago

37 years as a class A superintendent, v.p of operations, general superintendant.
you must have vision and be able to see the general intent in your own mind before you can describe it to others, you must also have tenacity and integrity. practice candor in your daily routine. knowing the plans is really only a small part of your job. being able to review and find errors and omissions and bring them forward with an altrnate idea is something that works towards your credability as a professional.negativity never works for anyone including subcontractors , owners and the design team you are working with. being able to communicate with others from the laboror in the ditch to the owner is a very talented superintendent, treat all with the same respect, without any of them you are a lone soul that will be overwelmed, frustrated and produce a poor product and over schedule and or budget.you must treat each project the same way wether it be a small strip center, regional mall, amusement parks , high rise , multi purpose. to each client their project is the most important, never forget that and impress upon the client that you are there to make their dream come true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Gonzo Zaldumbide in Plantation, Florida said: You must have a pre-con meeting with all subs, owners, arch, GC's, for all new jobs. That is where you set the tone of the project!!! It has worked for me every single timw!!!!

This should be a no brainer, If you are really a superintendent then this would be part of you sop

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Gonzo Zaldumbide in Plantation, Florida said: SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY!!!!!!!!

subs only walk on those that do not show authority ( not screaming and yelling ) or talk knowledgeable about the project and the specific procedures it will take for them to fullfill their scope.

Gonzo in Lake Worth, Florida

63 months ago

excellent way to put it!!!!!! totally agree!!!!!!

Mark Frischman in Cordova, Tennessee

63 months ago

I have been a working residential construction serperintendent for 10+ years. I am currently out of work and will relocate. I have high end exp.(8,000sq.ft.+) and fast track building exp. Does anyone Know of any openings anywhere. Will relocate.
Thanks,
Mark Frischman, frischmn@bellsouth.net

Cory in Normal, Illinois

46 months ago

gary neal in Norman, Oklahoma said: I have been a traveling retail construction superintendent for over 30+ years know and find myself out of work and no good prospects on companys hiring know . can anyone help me find new leads or info on who is hireing know?

You may want to re-write your information so you look more professional. Misspelling of simple words is an immediate red flag to any GM looking to hire a superintendent. Myself included. Most conversations require email which requires typing.
Just a helpful piece of advice.
Instead of know the word you are looking for is now. Instead of Hireing the word is spelled hiring.
Good luck
Cory, Indiana

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Boca Raton, Florida

44 months ago

Gonzo Zaldumbide in Plantation, Florida said: I dont agree with your 1st response. Archs, Engineers make mistakes. When in question consult with them, I have personally corrected flaws in drawings, specs, and they have always have accepted different means and methods.

Gonzo,
Who do you work for ?

Gmorring

44 months ago

Jim in Boca Raton, Florida said: Gonzo,
Who do you work for ?

You don't have to agree that is why it is a "Forum"! No one said I was an expert but I am a General Superntendent with a top 50 ENR firm that did $2.2 b last year. This is a place for people to come together and COLLABORATE- you know come together. This economy should make you humble! Humility is not thinking less of myself, but thinking of myself less! God bless and good luck.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.