Changing from environmental consulting to construction?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

bza in Alexandria, Virginia

38 months ago

Hi, I'm stuck in a rut and any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a 25-year-old environmental consultant for the federal government looking for a new job in the national capital region area (MD/DC/VA). I've had this position for 2 years, started fresh out of college when I didn't know what I was doing. I have extensive experience dealing with environmental policy, compliance, and regulation for federal clients (Secretary of Defense, Marine Corps, FEMA, etc) - but that's exactly what I don't want to pursue.

I'm desperately looking for a new job that will take me out into the "field" (I currently sit at a desk 8 hours/day, 7 days/week) and construction caught my eye. However, as you can tell, I have no previous construction experience or skills whatsoever. What are the steps I should take to prepare myself if I want to apply for construction positions? What are my options?

Again, thanks for any advice in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Aric in Albuquerque, New Mexico

36 months ago

Bza,

Here's a great career path in construction / technology you can pursue. - it's what i'm doing.

start out as a laborman, get into some concrete work / rebar work down the road, heck if you can learn welding - great. apply to become a tower climber greenhorn and never have to worry about money or hours again. with an associates in electronics, a tower climber can earn $16-22 per hour and average 70-80 hours a week.

construction management degrees allow you to become a manager very fast

BeckonsAttore in Altamonte Springs, Florida

13 months ago

Why would you want to switch from being a environmental consultant? I understand the things towards doing it for the federal government, but you don't have to stick with the private sector while doing it. Environmental consultants are so essential and wise. URL: www.hesl.ca/

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.