Hard to fine work in the construction Industry, as a woman

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

Kathy Anderson in Baytown, Texas

80 months ago

I have been on serveral jobs here in the area, I was promise a job to go to Kansas, by a Forman with another company. There were condition behind his reason of me going with him. I'm am a lady and I wont to be treated like a lady. I don't fill at all that I'm taking away a job from another man. I just wish I could fine a job ASAP. I need to work just like everyone else. I'm also willing to relocate for the job. Please if you can help e-mail, karepro84@msn.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

deb

79 months ago

Hey Kathy,
What type of construction do you do, are you union? I'm also in the field, a union carpenter, there's alot of work going on in Boston, ma

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kathy Anderson in Baytown, Texas

79 months ago

Hello ded,

Thanks for the email, I do not belong to a union, if I could find a job, and if it is union I would join. If you know if they are needed people (woman) worker, I would be willing to travel the the job. Kathy Anderson

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Judy Eastlack in Amarillo, Texas

79 months ago

Iam in the same boat as u 2 I am looking 4 work in the tx pandhandel around amarillo or so i run scraper,dump truck,dozer,wheel&steel roller or just labor singel mom had to take this job that don,t pay much so i work 7 days a week to get overtime to make ends meet sure would like it if anybody knows of any thing that u don,t have to give other bennfits!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rosa in Bellingham, Washington

77 months ago

Judy Eastlack in Amarillo, Texas said: Iam in the same boat as u 2 I am looking 4 work in the tx pandhandel around amarillo or so i run scraper,dump truck,dozer,wheel&steel roller or just labor singel mom had to take this job that don,t pay much so i work 7 days a week to get overtime to make ends meet sure would like it if anybody knows of any thing that u don,t have to give other bennfits!

I have gone to school for heavy equip, applied twice now for
operators engineers apprenticeshi but nothing, applied or several jobs where i am for a year now and nothing!! any sugguestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Kathy Anderson in Baytown, Texas said: I have been on serveral jobs here in the area, I was promise a job to go to Kansas, by a Forman with another company. There were condition behind his reason of me going with him. I'm am a lady and I wont to be treated like a lady. I don't fill at all that I'm taking away a job from another man. I just wish I could fine a job ASAP. I need to work just like everyone else. I'm also willing to relocate for the job. Please if you can help e-mail, karepro84@msn.com

I understand completely!! i went to school for heavy equip
and applied for several jobs in my surrounding area, i am willing to relocate, etc. i have applied through the operatorsengineers appretiship twice now, and getting ready to apply again! any women construction employers?

Clara in Chicago, Illinois

77 months ago

You have to stand out from the rest. Start applying for apprenticships with the unemployment office so they can put you on a mailing list. Just for starters, second sometime we have to show up at these worksites before work begin just to get the information to were to fill out the job. Keep your head up and just remember to get names and job titles so dropping names when you ask for employment wont be that hard. At least they will know you did some leg work.
By the way I am a welder, and I know how hard it is for us in the field.

77 months ago

i agree with you totally and thanks for your advice and support,
i am applying with apprentices, 3 rd time, going back home
to alaska to apply again! :-) for 2009.
Thanks again!

Tiffany in Medora, North Dakota

76 months ago

I have also been applying all over for construction. I just want to get a foot in the door and get some experience cause i know i will enjoy this. I am also willing to go back to school if i have to. I am more of a outdoor hands on kind of girl. Anyway, i can work as good as the any man can. I am willing to relocate as long as i can get out of north dakota.

poed in Denham Springs, Louisiana

50 months ago

I have worked a couple of jobs, the 1st one I hired on as fw after 2 wks I was put in my own c-can and managed materials for about 1 year, never did get a raise I was told I did a good job but got layed off anyway when job was over. I went back to school & took classes for construction work but still cant get work

flipzhd in Barre, Vermont

48 months ago

Kathy Anderson in Baytown, Texas said: I have been on serveral jobs here in the area, I was promise a job to go to Kansas, by a Forman with another company. There were condition behind his reason of me going with him. I'm am a lady and I wont to be treated like a lady. I don't fill at all that I'm taking away a job from another man. I just wish I could fine a job ASAP. I need to work just like everyone else. I'm also willing to relocate for the job. Please if you can help e-mail, karepro84@msn.com

Kathy....Best thing to do is put resumes in Parsons Brinkerhoff/URS/Jacobs and selected other Const management co's better money and good percs! Woman are treated equal in Parsons I know!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

baywop in Denham Springs, Louisiana

47 months ago

what type of position

Maria in San Jose, California

47 months ago

baywop in Denham Springs, Louisiana said: I would like more inf re job duties and sal. also send resume

Basically we are handyman service at this point with some rare large construction jobs, so duties would be getting service calls, scheduling your schedule, going out on jobs like unclog toilets, repair toilets, replace faucets, water heaters, and other things around the house. Since you are in Louisiana may I ask why you are asking, do you know anyone around here?

baywop in Denham Springs, Louisiana

47 months ago

i would consider relocating for th e right job. but i dont think thats a good match for me. thanks

flipzhd in Essex Junction, Vermont

46 months ago

baywop in Denham Springs, Louisiana said: i would consider relocating for th e right job. but i dont think thats a good match for me. thanks

Consider a CDL-A? Women drivers all over the country pulling down 50 to 80 K

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

chellax in Ugong Norte, Philippines

45 months ago

yes! i agree, discrimination is always present, but if you have a certification from <a "href="whitecardonline.com.au/states" rel ="follow">Construction White Card Victoria</a> it's a different story

Christopher in Andover, Massachusetts

45 months ago

Wow! Can there still be this kind of discrimination in the US. It is good to see that both men and women are posting to this blog and helping out this group of women find a job. Let's beat the oppressors that still allow anything but can he/she do the job the best come into play.

Keep trying. Keep your heads up and do your best! We are praying and rooting for you all!

Marshall in West Des Moines, Iowa

43 months ago

Quite a few employers I've worked with over the years frown on hiring women, unless it's office work. Mainly due to the problems it causes out in the feild.. In no way is the woman to blame the majoirty of the time, but Men do not preform as well when working with woman. It can become quite the headache.

That said, I wish you guys the best of luck! Try looking in the green jobs [Wind Turbines] There are quite a few construction sites popping up all over the country. Operators, IronWorkers, Electricans, all trades needed..

See: Mortensen, Blattner, JMS Wind, Barnhart, Wanzak, System 3, ETI, MP Next era.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.