Older Workers in Construction

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 61)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Joanna in Loughborough, United Kingdom

85 months ago

I am a researcher who would like to hear from older construction workers to find out your experiences of the industry. What skills do you bring to the job that younger workers are missing? Does the work become physically harder as you become older? Do you feel you have ever been discriminated against because of your age? I would love to hear from you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jon phillips in Houston, Texas

84 months ago

i'm 54 yo. i have done construction work my whole life,i can't buy a job in houston because of the hispanics.go to a job site you won't find a white or black man on the crew.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Bruce in Fenton, Missouri

82 months ago

My name is Bruce from St. Louis, Mo.Im 49 y/o . I went to heavy equipment/crane school in Oklahoma earlier this year. The school said there is a placement sevice( they hand you a list of phone #s
the day you graduate). Tell you its not a
problem for an older person to get a job,
because the younger guys cant pass a pee test ok ........St louis VERY heavy union town , which Im not against. Every
app I put in I get told you have to go to the union school in Silex Mo to get a union card. So I work for ADB a utility
contractor(non union) terrible pay. I apply for a operator job. They put me in as a laborer, hand digging ditches 10 hours a day. I just got let go on day 89, because, I couldnt keep up with the
other laborers half my age.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

william draper in Trenton, Missouri

82 months ago

jon phillips in Houston, Texas said: i'm 54 yo. i have done construction work my whole life,i can't buy a job in houston because of the hispanics.go to a job site you won't find a white or black man on the crew.

we have hispanics he also,but most of them are non union,perhaps u should check into that or maybe move out of texas.i worked in the dallas area back in the 80s and i know its a right to work state.stayed there just long enough to get out myself. i joined the union in 1967,left for 18 years when i had my own company in florida, and came back here after andrew got me and my insurance company,and went back in the union, at this time we make 27.43 an hour,so good luck on what ever you decide to do. im a cement finisher by the way.good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

merle howard

80 months ago

I was given a choice; move to alb. nm from El Paso tx, I am a pastor of small church in Fabens tx. so I stayed here, lost a $50000.00 a year job--no problem, I'll just go to work for a contracter, I have 45 years experiance in the construction industry. 17 yard drag line to a one yard front end loader-dozer from cat d2 to a 375 komatsu. excavater, scrapers--including cable rigs, 12 years supervisory experiance--guess what--I am over 65 and do not speak spanish---no job here in El Paso-and so far none in Alamogordo NM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Doug sumner in Memphis, Tennessee

80 months ago

I'm a operator with local 181 if you can pass the test out they would probably get you hooked up

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

steve Herd Rio Norte Manager in El Paso, Texas

75 months ago

Merle can you please a give us a call a residents family needs you to do a funeral

Thank you!

Steve Herd
Rio Norte Manager (915) 856-6655

merle howard said: I was given a choice; move to alb. nm from El Paso tx, I am a pastor of small church in Fabens tx. so I stayed here, lost a $50000.00 a year job--no problem, I'll just go to work for a contracter, I have 45 years experiance in the construction industry. 17 yard drag line to a one yard front end loader-dozer from cat d2 to a 375 komatsu. excavater, scrapers--including cable rigs, 12 years supervisory experiance--guess what--I am over 65 and do not speak spanish---no job here in El Paso-and so far none in Alamogordo NM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tom.canales@att.net in Los Angeles, California

71 months ago

jon phillips in Houston, Texas said: i'm 54 yo. i have done construction work my whole life,i can't buy a job in houston because of the hispanics.go to a job site you won't find a white or black man on the crew.

I feel you because here in cali,like you the border bro`s are in charge of the system,meaning the industry,It really sucks!They KEEP THERE FAMILY WORKING! us AMERICANS ARE OUT OF A JOB!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tim Fuhrman, in Fontana, California

69 months ago

I have been a Licensed Painting Contractor for 22 years and have owned my own Painting company for almost 30 years, I am now 46 years old, It hard to find work out side of my business, things get slow and I start to interview with painting companys and never here from them again, or take test that I know that I passed and am told that I didn't pass when I know that there is no way I could have not passed. The fact is I have 30 years of experience, I can out spray, out roll, out cut in and out paint any young kid out there. I don't tex my girlfriend all day, I don't do drugs, or call in sick, party all night or ask for days off, I won't do burn outs in the company truck, take a break every hr. I Have 30 years of knowledge that I bring to the table know one has to train us old guys, we just show up, do our job and we don't complain I think older guys are great to hire. it saves time and money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bzauf@yahoo.com in Garden Grove, California

69 months ago

Doug sumner in Memphis, Tennessee said: I'm a operator with local 181 if you can pass the test out they would probably get you hooked up

Doug
My name is Bruce , Im looking for a operator job , I can pass a pee test Email me

Bruce Zauf
bzauf@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

bzauf@yahoo.com in Garden Grove, California

69 months ago

Tim
You are correct when you talk about the reliability of us older guys..........showing up for work/on time, not hung over or drugged out. In todays economy because so many people are out of work employers want to hire the cheapest person they can find.
Its like buying a bottle of cheap wine....the bitter taste will long be remembered more than the good deal that you thought you got.

Bruce Zauf
bzauf@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tim Fuhrman, in Fontana, California

69 months ago

Bruce,

What you said is so true, hang in there bud, we have a lot to offer, Merry Christmas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

TAM in Richmond, Virginia

69 months ago

Joanna in Loughborough, United Kingdom said: I am a researcher who would like to hear from older construction workers to find out your experiences of the industry. What skills do you bring to the job that younger workers are missing? Does the work become physically harder as you become older? Do you feel you have ever been discriminated against because of your age? I would love to hear from you.

The younger generation of people need to understand this is hard work and the quality of work and work ethics are very important and valuable. I have mastered my skill but it took hard work and listening to those who had already mastered their skill. I take a lot of pride and I strive to provide the customer what they truly want. I love what I do. I am a master carpenter skilled in commercial and industrial work.I leave this tidbit for the younger generation stay focused and pay close attention to detail. The best is yet to come. Oh, the money is GOOOD!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

TAM in Richmond, Virginia

69 months ago

Tim Fuhrman, in Fontana, California said: I have been a Licensed Painting Contractor for 22 years and have owned my own Painting company for almost 30 years, I am now 46 years old, It hard to find work out side of my business, things get slow and I start to interview with painting companys and never here from them again, or take test that I know that I passed and am told that I didn't pass when I know that there is no way I could have not passed. The fact is I have 30 years of experience, I can out spray, out roll, out cut in and out paint any young kid out there. I don't tex my girlfriend all day, I don't do drugs, or call in sick, party all night or ask for days off, I won't do burn outs in the company truck, take a break every hr. I Have 30 years of knowledge that I bring to the table know one has to train us old guys, we just show up, do our job and we don't complain I think older guys are great to hire. it saves time and money.

AMEN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

keith in Longville, Louisiana

68 months ago

TAM in Richmond, Virginia said: AMEN

i worked for myself for 25 years but due to the influx of illegals im done. i travel to try and stay one step ahead of the illegals my family is in arkansas 2 young boys and wife. but the illegals have over run us. as a drywall finisher and painter your done in america arkansas looks like little mexico and so does most other states now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

LMZ in Boston, Massachusetts

68 months ago

Hello everybody.

I want to help a friend who is relocating from Boston to Central NY (20 miles West of Utica). He is an amazing finished carpenter and more (he knows a lot about plumbing and electrical systems as well, tile setting, problem solving of all sorts. He has done mainly residential jobs for 25 years, big and small, very dependable and easy to work with. He has also a talent for teaching and communicating well. He would also love to work in green building, solar hot water installation, building retrofitting.

Any suggestions for him? Good companies to work for? Or how to re-build his business in this new area? Ideally he would work PT for someone else and PT on his own new home, to spread the risks and opportunities, but he is flexible.

Many thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Minneapolis, Minnesota

68 months ago

Break yourself to try to get laid off last. The union B.A.C local 1 MN/nd is a joke- never found me a single job. I've put the last brick and block on many buildings worked more than most thank god. Now I've taken a crap job making 6x less because I had too and my wife has four jobs so we can make it. Thanks for twelve years in the union.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

pubball11 in Rockland, Massachusetts

68 months ago

I became involved in the construction business during a 15-year career in banking which ended in 1993. My first experience was with a real estate developer so I was involved from the site clearing through planting of the shrubs and grass. I was active outside of work as a banker but this work did build more mass and stamina than I had previously. That led to a union demolition job cutting concrete for nearly 10 years, which led to my current position as a framing and finish carpenter. The physical requirements are still not an issue a I am in fairly good shape but the exposure to the extremes of weather in the Northeast are taking a toll more mentally than physically. Extreme cold wears you down, Spring melting and mud wear you down, summer heat and direct sun exposure wear you down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tim Fuhrman in Fontana, California

67 months ago

Hi it's me Tim Fuhrman the Painter, it is so nice to here from so many of you out there, we old guys are good workers and im glad so many of you share my thoughts. I think the issue might be they " employers" think, we are all going to have a hart attack or try to pull a (Larry Parker) and colect a workers comp claim. but all we want is good, honest, stable full time work, we could teach the new kids on the block about work ethics. Perhaps, if we all got hired and taught the new generation afew things maybe. we could change the world." Well it's a thought" take care all of you remember ( OLD GUY'S RULE)

tlalmimilolpan in austin, Texas

66 months ago

i wonder why that is? hummmmmmm! could it be that you see nothing but blacks and whites in almost every off and on ramp on american highways asking for handouts, and no where do you see an "illegal" or mexican american. wanna know where they are? they are hanging out at home depot looking to be picked up by contractors who need workers. you won't find them on ramps asking for handouts like you do blacks and whites. not being racial here. just stating the facts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

lilbit in Lebanon, Tennessee

65 months ago

Hi,Not sure if any of you could help me, but I'm looking for a man named Edward he may go by Eddie or ED not really sure. I don't have a last name but what I do know is he's in construction and he is around maybe 50 - 54 years of age. He from Youngstown,Ohio along with his family. I beliveve he has a younger sister. Edward, knows a woman named Vera and they where in Texas when there friend passed named Tony. If anyone has information that would GODS gift to me. Thank You LIL BIT

Ron in Jacksonville, Florida

65 months ago

53 years old. 34 years in the housing industry. Started out driving nails. Never layed out on single day of work. Now, I know houses like I know the wrinkles on my face. Everything from construction management to high end custom home design. I can build any size, any shape, any style home in my sleep. In fact, "in my dreams" is the only place that I can practice my proffession lately. I've been through many, many, ups and downs in this industry, but the last couple of years has definately been THE worse. Can't say I didn't see it coming though.

As for being a highly experienced senior - I've heard "your over qualified and to old" so many times I might just start believing it if things don't change soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

jimmy hall in Gatesville, Texas

63 months ago

Im 24 ambitios and willing to work looking for a good job oppertunity I have extensive experience in residential construction. My question is in the world today whats the best way to hustle work

Cheech in Orlando, Florida

63 months ago

I am an American-Mexican 3rd generation. I haved served this country for 8 years in the 82nd Airborne. I have worked 25 years in the construction industry. I can frame, hang , finish, texture,etc. all aspects and run circles around the younger generation. I show up every morning, work through lunch and breaks, weekends too, if I must meet a deadline. I have built every sort of building imagineable, and dealt with tremendous obstacles. Have all my tools,plus extra, but I can not compeat with the mexicans that will work for 50cents a board. Immigration needs to do their job and start cracking down, give America back to Americans. I have never been without work, but I can not find anything, even being bilinguel is not a plus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wayne in Scio, Oregon

62 months ago

I am 56 and I too can not seem to find work. I have been in construction from a Union Carpenter , to a Superintendent, Project Manager, had my own general Contracting business using my own hands. This is a really tough economy and the future seems bleak. I too can not compete with the young people in the physical arena. I remember working with older guys both in the field and in the management postiions. They bring so much knowledge to the table, require hardly any support and seem to be the last looked at. I am stunned. I always thought my experience and background would always sustain me. I have turned to my God and he is the only source to help get me thru these tough times. I have been applying for jobs in Texas as this seems to be the best place for our industry. As I read this forum that does not seem to be the case. I wll pray for all my brothers and sisters out there. God Speed and keep praying for a turn around for all of us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jkowmr in Jacksonville, Florida

62 months ago

Joanna in Loughborough, United Kingdom said: I am a researcher who would like to hear from older construction workers to find out your experiences of the industry. What skills do you bring to the job that younger workers are missing? Does the work become physically harder as you become older? Do you feel you have ever been discriminated against because of your age? I would love to hear from you.

Older workers bring not only the experience of doing the job, but are more informed of codes, more safety contious,know proper materials, knowledge of others jobs involved in a project, communication, problem solving, knowing what to do if something is wrong or doesn't quit work right, how to make ajustments, productivity, cost contious, teaching methods, and the list can go on. Of course it gets harder as you get older when in the field doing the physical work, but this knowledge and experience in a foreman or project manager goes a long way in teaching others, managing time and men, and cost efficiency.
And yes I have been discriminated against because of my age, told I am to old to work, too old to do this type of work, called old man, and told I should not work at my age I am nothing but a senile old man. Never by a knowledable person, just by the younger people that think they know more than me and trying to move up in rank to take my position or in a higher position than me and don't listen to suggestions until it is too late and there has been an accident or a serious problem that has put the company behind schedule.

Waywoo54@hotmail.com in Scio, Oregon

62 months ago

I appreciate your thoughts. I was hoping there would be work somewhere on the North American Continent. I am also sorry to hear that Canada also faces issues. I jknew it was world wide, just hoping it was better elsewhere. Thanks Wayne in Salem, Oregon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

don in Austin, Texas

60 months ago

Wayne in Scio, Oregon said: I am 56 and I too can not seem to find work. I have been in construction from a Union Carpenter , to a Superintendent, Project Manager, had my own general Contracting business using my own hands. This is a really tough economy and the future seems bleak. I too can not compete with the young people in the physical arena. I remember working with older guys both in the field and in the management postiions. They bring so much knowledge to the table, require hardly any support and seem to be the last looked at. I am stunned. I always thought my experience and background would always sustain me. I have turned to my God and he is the only source to help get me thru these tough times. I have been applying for jobs in Texas as this seems to be the best place for our industry. As I read this forum that does not seem to be the case. I wll pray for all my brothers and sisters out there. God Speed and keep praying for a turn around for all of us.

dont have much union carpenter work down here,Port Arthur Texas is booming,over 13 billion in new construction at refineries but its all scab.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Wayne in Scio, Oregon

60 months ago

Boy, I have not looked at this board for a while, sorry. I am still a well seasoned Superintendent, Project Manager, as well as a very qualified carpenter that can not seem to land a job in Oregon. I have been applying on the internet all across America as I am willing to travel, to no avail. I think it has to do with my age, the fact there is an overwhelming amount of other's that are as talented as I am and not much work. It is very frustration. I wish you all the best and I will continue to pray for you, your families and America. I see doom and gloom in the future 4 to 5 years and I think it will not be pretty. I'll be praying for you and yours. Wayne

dallasduck in Houston, Texas

60 months ago

just lost my job aug. 28,was blessed to work for 14 months,i'm 56, can't buy a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wayne in Scio, Oregon

60 months ago

I was hoping there was work in Houston or Austin. There is no work in oregon or Washington unless you are an equipment operator working civil or highway. I am looking for cbuilding's to work on. Does anyone have any work information out there. Thanks and I am praying for us all.

Wayne in Scio, Oregon

60 months ago

I could not read the number right so it must have popped me out.

dallasduck in Houston, Texas

60 months ago

i got laid off aug.28 in houston,i have'nt found anything in a month of searching

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

MWnMobile in Mobile, Alabama

60 months ago

Hey just wanted to let you know about another good job search site... completely free membership... and it has a live chat service to talk to other construction people just like you and me.. My name is Gary and this site covers job openings in all crafts...Give it a try and if ya like it spread the word will you... its completely free and easy to use.... hope to see ya there...heres the link...

smokepen.phpbb3now.com/index.php

Hvacgln in San Diego, California

58 months ago

Hello, I'm 46 and have work in the HVAC industry for 25yrs. What I've noticed is, the younger gen. just wants you're pay, without learning anything or paying any sort of dues. They will back stab you however and whenever possible. Most are worthless greenbacks.
I had to leave my job do to a simple sprained ankle injury and as soon as I took leave my job was gone. My job of installation of air ducts and units was very unpredictable. A 3 mo. lay off and I got so far behind on my mortgage I lost my house and property. Thank god my wife's a nurse and is still working for now. Later I found I had a hernia and had to go to surgery. Its been 4 months of job searching and nothing.
The job market is really lame here. if you have a BS degree in graphic design you might be able to get a job making copies at mail boxes, or UPS store for $9.00 an hour.
Trying to re-invent myself ...Peace

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

countrydanny in Houston, Texas

58 months ago

hello;
im danny i am from dallas tx moved to houston in 1990,i am 60 yrs old
never graduated high school,been working since i was 16yrs old, been welding since i was 17,no trade school just good old OJT.6 yrs ago i found out that i had degenertive spine condition, and two yrs ago i had total knee replacement,and the other knee is bad as well,still haveing problems with the replacement,my last employer i was with for 17 yrs and after i could not function as a welder any more,i changed my job tittle and went into the tool room,but because of the economy i was laid off 11/20/09,just went on unemployment,unable to continue in my trade i have been trying to find employment tin the position as a tool room attendent,but without a ged
or experience in matienance and if you cant operate one type of machine or another,then they arent intrested,7 to 10 dollar an hour jobs these days
just dont pay the mortage.

jon phillips in Houston, Texas

58 months ago

i'm from dallas also, been in houston for 30 years. i'm a carpenter, have been for 38 years. i got laid off aug.28, been looking for a job ever since. good luck to all us older guys,

Hvacgln in San Diego, California

58 months ago

Hey, I have some more to add. Its hard to find any other job when all you know is beating you're self up out there day after day. After I hit 40 I hated my job and every one I worked with were backstabbers even people i've known for years... It just got to hard on my body and extremely frustrating putting up with the office's incompetence. Unemployment pays more than say...working at Home Depot. But that doesn't last forever and my benefits are running out.

I don't know what to do . I guess I'm going to let my unemployment run out and deal wit it then. I've thought about going back to school or something but .. To try an get an engineering degree or something. I'm just too burnt out. And my heart just wouldn't be into it. After all these years It's kinda hard to get excited about industry.

I've been spending more time with my kids, mountain bike riding and going on long hikes..Seems to help a little. good luck everyone, hvacgln

briankelly61 in Gilbert, Arizona

58 months ago

hi brian here ive been in the industry for 30 years plus have been a carpenter and a superintendent for the last 18 years and ive been out of work for over a year dont know why i havent got ten a job have taken resume classes my exp is great i have ran jobs from 100,000 to 50 mil and still no work what do you do cant even get a job as a dish washer went back to the carpenters union that didnt last because of my exp i know thats why im not working there it threatens people i guess let me know if you have any throughts on this thanks

briankelly61 in Gilbert, Arizona

58 months ago

oh by the way im only 48 and very fit

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Waywoo54@hotmail.com in Scio, Oregon

58 months ago

I am still not working. I just wonder if we will ever recover from this slow down. I will pray for all my brothers and sisters out there looking for work.

Carl Holbrook in San Diego, California

54 months ago

I'm 55 a Painter for 30+ years... It doesn't get harder to do your job I can still run circles around younger guys cause it's like 2nd nature to me where as their still learning. My biggest problem is finding work in this wonderful rescession. Never had so much trouble looking for work

tony in Memphis, Tennessee

52 months ago

i am a carpenter of 26 yrs i can frame any thing i can't find work and i am a united states american an i am here legally the guys south of the border are working in this country illegally come on america help your own

Nelson in San Diego, California

52 months ago

yeah, I posted here before, I now unemployed for yr. and a half now.. totally sucks no work in commercial HVAC. Yet all these people are in a up roar about Arizona's new law well I say the Mexicans ran the wadges down in my field where I live in San Diego and they should toughen up all the border states just like Arizona. Maybe some folks could get there jobs back. and quit letting rich as*holes gamble with our lives like those Goldman and sacks f*ckers. Creating the housing bubble to betting against it, and profit from peoples misfortune the get payed off a gain by a bail out with our tax money, they screwed us twice.
FU*KED UP

tlalmimilolpan in Knoxville, Tennessee

52 months ago

you are a closed minded moron saying that about the mexicans. the mexicans did NOT run wages down. you wanna blame someone? blame the AMERICAN contractors who decided to hire illegals at a lower rate of pay, instead of hiring americans. the contractor thinks and says, "why should i pay an american 16 something dollars an hour for hvac work, when i can hire an illegal who can do the same work as well for 8 dollars?" you KNOW what i am saying is true. they are money hungry. just like the auto manufacturing companies---why pay union auto workers nearly 20 dollars an hour when we can move the plant to a third world country and pay them less than 10 dollars a day?" and mexico IS a third world country. so, when they close the plants down in detroit and move them to mexico and other third world countries, why are you gonna hold that against the mexicans? there are MANY american auto plants in mexico. the mexicans did NOT move them down there on their own. the greedy AMERICAN owners of said companies moved them down there. if you aRE GONNA BE MAD, BE MAD AT THE RIGHT PERSONS. THE GREEDY AMERICAN CAR MANUFACTURERS ARE O BLAME. NOT THE MEXIVANS OR ILLEGALS. white and black men spend all day at highway rampos with signs saying, "daydreaming of a cheeseburger. anything change helps" or, "homeless. unmemployed. any change helps. God bless"------and in the evening, after they stood out there all day buming change, they hit the liguor stores and buy alcohol and cigarettes and if anything is left, they buy dope. but where do you find the illegals? they hang out at home depot and lowe's hoping some small time contractor will pick them up for the day so they can work. you do NOT see them on ramps with signs bumming. blame the greedy american contractors, my man. THEY started this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Galen in Salinas, California

52 months ago

I've been in the heavy construction, demolition, and hazardous waste removal for 10+ years.I'm hazmat certified, certified traffic control tech.,certified construction forklift operator, can operate everything from a shovel to a 330 cat excavator.I held a CDL A licence w/ all endorsements for 20 yrs before entering the construction trade ( should of kept that ). Now i'm 56yrs old,unemployed for over a year, and have applied for for any position that relates to my qualification, not only in the United States but world wide. I have a family that encludes a pair of twin 13yr old boys, we talked about the possibility of me working at a job were i'll be gone for months at a time and they agree, it's better than beinging unemployed and struggling. I have yet to hear from anyone, except " this position has been filled ". Don't you think age and wisdom account for anything? My last pay rate was $23.00hr.,now no one wants to pay more than $9.00hr.without benefits. I can't raise a family on that. All I can say is, I hope them cheap %*^&^%@s get what they pay for. I've always been proud of my work, doing it right the first time, safely and on time. The question now is, where do I go from here?

Lucy in Coventry, United Kingdom

49 months ago

Hi Joanna

How did you get on with your research? I'm currently conducting a study into the reasons for early retirement from the construction industry and would love to hear of anything interesting you have found. I've conducted interviews with older construciton workers (over the age of 45) and am currently writing up my paper. Would be great to see if we could help each other out at all.

Thanks
Lucy (Nottingham, UK)

tlalmimilolpan in austin, Texas

49 months ago

the reason i retired early at 62 is because i had to have some kind of income coming in to pay for my medication, my monthly storage fee (for when i lost my home and put everything in storage), and for peronal items and monthly bus passes. my umemployment ran out after a year and after that, i had no income coming in. i resorted to riding my bicycle cross country in the u.s.a. and staying at campgrounds for 5 dollars or less. sometimes the campgrounds were free. i had to do this to survive. i have lived in a tent for several years now as i travel the usa with no particular place to go. some campgrounds will only let you stay for a week or so, so i have to constantly keep moving on. i have worked hard all my life and paid my taxes and social security, and now all i receive from the government is 571 dollars a month. what a shame this is happening more and more to other americans.

jimgiles1940

49 months ago

Hi,I am 69 years old and in good health.I can out work most younger const workers because I know what to do and when.I have been in const 51 years as a builder and hands on worker in all phases of const.I have had as many as 5 large houses being framed with as many as 35 men at the same time and not missed a deadline.I sent resumes to several different companys and posted my experience on several sites and I have yet to receive even a call from anyone.I would gladly go to Haiti or anywhere for a couple years,But it seems no one wants us old people.If anyone can tell me how to do it I would gladly go.

philip in Greenville, South Carolina

45 months ago

Experience- books and class rooms can only take you so far.30 something years ,you can learn alot,thats not in a book.personnally have never felt discriminated againts,but have been blessed with good health,and the fact that i really enjoy what i do.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.