I need an example of a fatal construction accident for a story I'm writing

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

cestlefun17 in New York, New York

59 months ago

I'm writing a story where someone dies in a construction mishap and I need some help filling in the blanks. There are two construction workers (let's just call them A and B). There is an accident due to the boss's oversight (he should have gotten some equipment inspected but he didn't, for example). A is working with B, and because of the boss's oversight, A accidentally kills B due to some machine malfunction. The boss knows he was at fault, but puts the blame on A. A honestly believes that it was his own fault for killing B and is wracked with guilt, even though in fact it was not his fault.

I need a scenario where all of this would be plausible.

Thank you for your help!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tonyk61 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

59 months ago

A is the foreman b is the laborer. A directs b to dig a water service in the streets of philadelphia. This requires him to dig down 3 ft. to expose waterline to be replaced. A leaves job to pick up materials. B starts digging and jackhammering street. Alls good until he gets down about 2 ft. there he sees some more concrete. He figures to get jackhammer again to break it up and remove it from hole as water pipe is probably underneath. He starts to hammer and notices a yellow gas coming from the concrete. he stops smells and realizes that it was not natural or flammable gas as it had no smell and quickly discipated anyway. What he doesnt know is that this concrete is a protective casing covering 60,000v electrical wiring for the whole surrounding blocks. The yellow gas was released from the casing as a warning that the casing had been penetrated. Most foreman of any trade that deals with any digging in the city knows of this warning system but A was not there in time sto stop the laborer from continuing to hammer himself into the wire, through the rubber insulation and grounding himself to the bare wire running 60,000vs through his body and friing his internal organs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

bodie369 in Knoxville, Tennessee

59 months ago

If I was the Froman I would told the Labour if you see something moming up unusual stop and wait for me, under this ground there is a nything from gas lines,high volts electricity,and
fiber optics, watch for it and stop no matter what????

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

59 months ago

A crane tipping over would fit all. Most crane accidents are caused by human error, failure to inspect crane, wrong size crane for job, lack of skill.

Wolfrunner in Villa Rica, Georgia

57 months ago

A & B are working in a confined space (such as a holding tank for chemicals) recoating it with a spray on liner. A is the hole watch for this work. He leaves the area to go smoke leaving B alone in the tank where he is over come with the fumes from the spray and dies. Or as in a case near where I live both men are inside and a spark ignites the fumes killing both of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

yankee doodle in New York, New York

56 months ago

A young electrician/mechanic who just finished he apprenticeship= call her "A". A seasoned mechanic of 35 years. Usually safety concious, good all around guy= call him "B" The foreman: A lousy,cheap skinflint that just thinks the worst oh his workers. He doesn't care about safety and wants to get a job done as cheaply as possible. He tells Mr."B" that they will only get an hour overtime to replace a 100 amp switch so they must do it live. The Foreman forgot to call in to have a safety suit dropped off so the mechanic installing the equipment would be wearing the appropriate personal safety equipment (eventhough according to union policy it is only to be done when the power is shut off.) Also during the day that same foreman took out a metal box cutter knife and skinned wire in that same electrical closet for panel? connection. He absent mindedly put his knife on top of the box containg the switch that would later be changed live. When it comes time to change the switch live young journeyperson volunteers to change the switchc b/c they do not hae children and the other more experienced mechanic does. The foreman nextels down to the more experienced basic workforce man Mr. "B" to hurry it up. As Ms. "A" goes to pop in the live 100 Amp switch, the movement knocks the metal box cutter into the live switch box and it blows up.Ms. "A" is killed. So the cheap foreman was responsible for the metal box cutter left on top of the cabinet. Responsible for having two people work live and for not providing a personal safety suit,goggles,gloves and mask. ...Now it is every mechanics responsibility to work safely. BUT the foreman would have laid off Ms. "A" the new worker if she had said,"no." He would get rid of Mr. "B" too, so they would ultimately blame A&B for their own accident. But it was tough times. "A" if she had been laid off would've been out or work probably 8 months, Mr."B" had tow autistic children at home.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.