Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (46)

Host

What are typical contract recruiter salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

neilski in Winnetka, Illinois

84 months ago

Here's the deal with contract recruiting salaries, in almost all cases, the hourly rate that they pay a contract recruiter is flexible. In other words, there is a range that that they can pay a recruiter. Contract recruting salaries are different than permanet recruting salaries. A permanent recruiting salary is usually less flexible due to factors such as internal equity. you dont; have as much factors in a contract situation. So please negotiate a higher salary whenever you are considering a contract recruiting job. Sometimes, all it take is asking for a coupel dollars more, and you'll find in many time you'll get it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mable in Detroit, Michigan

80 months ago

A Sr. Contract Recruiter working in the Midwest can expect to earn an average of $50.00 an hour. That same recruiter working on the west coast in California will earn $70.00 to $90.00 per hour in N.California (for the technical field) and $50.00 to $70.00 an hour in S. California. The East Coast will pay around $60.00 an hour. The Southern states pay around $50.00 an hour. Many companies are behind the times and offer $25.00 to $30.00 an hour, this is a below market rate unless you are a Jr. Recruiter. Most Jr. Recruiters really shouldn't be contract recruiters because a contract recruiter should be able to hit the ground running and contribute fully on all fronts of the recruiting process. The rates need to be at least $40.00 an hour (at minimum!) to make up for the fact that there are zero benefits and not stability.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Irene in Huntington Beach, California

74 months ago

I've been a Sr. Contract Recruiter for the past 10 years in Northern/Southern California.

Mable from Detroit, MI information seems to match my experience across industries. She's right on!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dawn Thompson in Northridge, California

72 months ago

Irene in Huntington Beach, California said: I've been a Sr. Contract Recruiter for the past 10 years in Northern/Southern California.

Mable from Detroit, MI information seems to match my experience across industries. She's right on!

Hello Irene... I am in agreement with both you and Mable (Detroit). I have been doing contract recruiting for the last 8 years now and charge my clients between $50 - 75/ hr. The working arrangement is flexible and involves a combination of time in the client's office with the majority of work done remotely from my home office.

I am considering taking an assignment "in-house" on a contract basis with a company located in downtown LA. They would classify my position as full-time temp employee. I am wondering if you were in my shoes, would you consider raising the fee (to say $90 - 100/hr)? The level of positions to be filled vary greatly and include Sr. level sales & technical roles. I'd be responsible for full-cycle recruitment duties.

Thanks for your input...
Dawn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Austin, Texas

71 months ago

Are these W2 rates or 1099?

Mable in Detroit, Michigan said: A Sr. Contract Recruiter working in the Midwest can expect to earn an average of $50.00 an hour. That same recruiter working on the west coast in California will earn $70.00 to $90.00 per hour in N.California (for the technical field) and $50.00 to $70.00 an hour in S. California. The East Coast will pay around $60.00 an hour. The Southern states pay around $50.00 an hour. Many companies are behind the times and offer $25.00 to $30.00 an hour, this is a below market rate unless you are a Jr. Recruiter. Most Jr. Recruiters really shouldn't be contract recruiters because a contract recruiter should be able to hit the ground running and contribute fully on all fronts of the recruiting process. The rates need to be at least $40.00 an hour (at minimum!) to make up for the fact that there are zero benefits and not stability.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sharon Dodson in Mission Viejo, California

57 months ago

I agree if a contract recruiter is doing full cycle recruiting the Company should pay atleast 50.00 per hour no question.Also without
benefits even more like 70.00- 90.00 per hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Mary in Austin, Texas said: Are these W2 rates or 1099?

W2. The lower the rate it should be W2. I am incorporated so I usually prefer a corp-to-corp status where I can write off more deductions. Right now I'm being paid W2. If I stay on the contract for at least 6 months then I am eligible for unemployment when the contract ends. If I am 1099 or corp-to-corp then I am not eligible for unemployment. I have usually found a new contract within 2 to 4 weeks but it is nice to receive unemployment if only for one week. Anywhere in the USA the bare min. for contract recruiting should be 40W2.

crussellhires in Lansing, Michigan

52 months ago

I am an experienced full cycle recruter with over 20 years of both agency and corporate experience. I have recruited for all levels from admin support to CTO.
I relocated to Michigan for a job with a national IT staffing firm which unfortuntely was aquired month 2 into the job. I am seeking a new opportunity; whether contract or perm.
If anyone klnows of any contract and or virtual assignments I would greatly appreciate any leads.
I would be more than happy to forward you a copy of my CV.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joen Elliott in Denver, Colorado

49 months ago

I know technical recruiters primarily command the higher rates. I am seeking a screener on an intermittent basis of non exempt $12 jobs....any comments on rates for that person.

rach in Saint Paul, Minnesota

46 months ago

Mable in Detroit, Michigan said: A Sr. Contract Recruiter working in the Midwest can expect to earn an average of $50.00 an hour. That same recruiter working on the west coast in California will earn $70.00 to $90.00 per hour in N.California (for the technical field) and $50.00 to $70.00 an hour in S. California. The East Coast will pay around $60.00 an hour. The Southern states pay around $50.00 an hour. Many companies are behind the times and offer $25.00 to $30.00 an hour, this is a below market rate unless you are a Jr. Recruiter. Most Jr. Recruiters really shouldn't be contract recruiters because a contract recruiter should be able to hit the ground running and contribute fully on all fronts of the recruiting process. The rates need to be at least $40.00 an hour (at minimum!) to make up for the fact that there are zero benefits and not stability.

I might be taking a job that is a contract jr. recruiter so what should I be making at an hourly rate? $25-30/hr? Thanks for the help!

Mable in Sterling Heights, Michigan

46 months ago

Congratulations on your upcoming job offer. I love contract recruiting. I have noticed that rates have really dropped for seasoned contract recruiters so I would imagine a Jr. Contract Recruiter can expect to receive as low as $15.00 an hour to a high average of $25.00 an hour. I really hope, as many others do, that the economy improves and rates can go up a little bit more.

I hope you get the job, do well and earn more than $25.00 an hour.

Maria in Newport Beach, California

45 months ago

Mable, I'd like to get your opinion. I'm putting a bid together for a virtual project for a technology company. I'm in Southern California, and the client is in Northern California. The initial number of positions is 10; they are a start up but are well funded. What hourly rate do you think I should charge? My "team" will consist of 2 pt technical recruiters (senior level) plus myself acting as PM and back-up.

45 months ago

I'm afraid my response will not be so encouraging as I've witnessed rates for contract recruiting drop drastically, especially in S. Cal. Since your client is in N. Cal you may get better results. Right now I'm contract recruiting with IBM and earning quit a bit less than I did 2 years ago. Here's my educated guess on the hourly rates you should charge:

Sr. Recruiters for non-technical or non-sales: $35.00 - $55.00
Sr. Recruiters for Technical and Sales: $45.00 - $70.00
Project Manager across the board: $50.00 $70.00

The above high figures would be for N.Cal and regions/clients that are doing well. The lower end of the scale are for S. California (big difference right!), Michigan, KY, IA, NV, etc... other regions that are hurting or clients that are brand new with no venture backing. Always shoot for the higher end and above. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Contract Recruiter in Vancouver, Washington

44 months ago

10 year Senior Contract Recruiter in the Portland/Vancouver Metro area can support any company in the USA Virtually as I have a full home office setup. I am not looking for a Commission based position. I can work on technical, healthcare, sales/marketing, administrative, executive as well as non- technical requisitions. I have placed Intermediate to "C" Level Candidates in my career. I also have agency experience running a full-desk. Please let me know of any leads you may have...I can send my cv letter. Thank you! :)

Rebecca in Nashville, Tennessee

40 months ago

Contract Recruiter in Vancouver, Washington said: 10 year Senior Contract Recruiter in the Portland/Vancouver Metro area can support any company in the USA Virtually as I have a full home office setup. I am not looking for a Commission based position. I can work on technical, healthcare, sales/marketing, administrative, executive as well as non- technical requisitions. I have placed Intermediate to "C" Level Candidates in my career. I also have agency experience running a full-desk. Please let me know of any leads you may have...I can send my cv letter. Thank you! :)

email me @ rebecca@looptwo.com - I have some pretty exciting information to share about a portal that will change your outlook on the world of contract recruitment :)

amrita in Hermitage, Tennessee

38 months ago

Rebecca in Nashville, Tennessee said: email me @ rebecca@looptwo.com - I have some pretty exciting information to share about a portal that will change your outlook on the world of contract recruitment :)

Hi Rebecca - how are the rates for contract technical recruiters in nashville.

amrita in Hermitage, Tennessee

38 months ago

i have a question for the group . What is more rewarding - working as a in-house corporate recruiter or working as recruiter for an employment agency or working as independent recruiter ?

Mary in Sacramento, California

37 months ago

I left a company working after two years. Company promised partership which did not offer in the end. I worked as an Account Manager cum recruiter and not in to Sales at all. I am now filing for my wages for my 2 years of hard work with the labor comission. After sending a letter from my attorney, my employer denied the claim saying I was an independent contractor and worked only on comission based. I have all the W2 which he has given. He has paid 15K for 2 years of work and now claims I'm a comission based consultant.

My question is: Even though I have all W2s, is there something called "comission based W2" which he might have put me in his payroll ? I have worked 40 hrs per week plus min 2 hrs extra per day. How strong is my case if I go to the labor comission. I have all email proofs for 2 years.

Thanks in advance

recruitingU in Cleveland, Ohio

36 months ago

Listen...One you always get everything in writing, stamped,dated and signed.
If you have W2's from the company, then they should show the tax deductions on your
check. If you were a independent contractor you would be a 1099. Which means that they take no taxes out, no benefits and the money they pay you is direct in full/net gross and your responsible for paying your tax on a quartly basis. Go for it!

36 months ago

If you have W2's from the company, then they should show the tax deductions on your
check. If you were a independent contractor you would be a 1099. Which means that they take no taxes out, no benefits and the money they pay you is direct in full/net gross and your responsible for paying your tax on a quartly basis. Go for it!

36 months ago

36 months ago

36 months ago

What is up with these human resource people? Sorry trying not to be bias, but these women in HR are difficult to deal with. they have this attitude of all mighty control, and with the economy the way it is you would think that there attitude would be welcoming. They have this proccess that doesn't make sense and when you try to make a difference and stand out, they don't give any insight,let alone meet with them in person. God, what is this HR101. Who hires these people! Frustrated in Cleveland Ohio. lee21157@gmail.com

36 months ago

amrita in Hermitage, Tennessee said: i have a question for the group . What is more rewarding - working as a in-house corporate recruiter or working as recruiter for an employment agency or working as independent recruiter ?

I'm not sure what group your talking about, but I'm going to jump in anyhow. One it depends on the environment, your working conditions...the amount of compensation. I've done both and I found that I make much more being a freelance contractor assighned to a specific project or search. The key is to keep being involved in
always creating new opportunities. In the contract, there are also no guarantees. I use to do 60-90 and 6 month contracts...if they decided to let me go before the contract was up...they pay in full before I walk out the door. Sometimes, companies can be rather fickel and they change thier minds.

Anyhow, I looking to network with some other recruiters around the country and maybe some international recruiting. I work verticle and funtional markets.

36 months ago

amrita in Hermitage, Tennessee said: i have a question for the group . What is more rewarding - working as a in-house corporate recruiter or working as recruiter for an employment agency or working as independent recruiter ?

I'm not sure what group your talking about, but I'm going to jump in anyhow. One it depends on the environment, your working conditions...the amount of compensation. I've done both and I found that I make much more being a freelance contractor assighned to a specific project or search. The key is to keep being involved in
always creating new opportunities. In the contract, there are also no guarantees. I use to do 60-90 and 6 month contracts...if they decided to let me go before the contract was up...they pay in full before I walk out the door. Sometimes, companies can be rather fickel and they change thier minds.

Anyhow, I looking to network with some other recruiters around the country and maybe some international recruiting. I work verticle and funtional markets.

36 months ago

What is up with these human resource people? Sorry trying not to be bias, but these women in HR are difficult to deal with. they have this attitude of all mighty control, and with the economy the way it is you would think that there attitude would be welcoming. They have this proccess that doesn't make sense and when you try to make a difference and stand out, they don't give any insight,let alone meet with them in person. God, what is this HR101. Who hires these people! Frustrated in Cleveland Ohio. lee21157@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brian G in Long Island City, New York

35 months ago

What do agency owners think a fair commission package is for recruiters who put W2 employees on billing? I am a seasoned recruiter who spent most of his career doing perm placements but I spent a year and a half recruiting consultants before leaving for much greener pastures. I'm unhappy with only one thing, what I get paid on consulting deals with W2 employees as their costs go up as the pay rate goes up and I'm left with nearly nothing. The way they're structured, I'm almost paying them for the honor of filling a job. I've just brought in a few new consulting deals that promise to be very lucrative and I am strongly considering making another move so that I can maximize the potential of these new clients.

35 months ago

There are a lot of factors involved here - are you placing hourly w2 consultants that are being billed out at an hourly rate or are you placing salaried perm. employees that are billed out at an hourly rate?

I can understand the company structuring a pay system that motivates you to bring in candidates that generate a higher spread. If the hourly spread (post benefits and other costs) comes between $8.00 - $14.00 the average commission is between 25 and 30% If the hourly spread is between $15.00 - $20.00 the average commission should be 35-40% spread $21.00 - $30.00 50% $30.00 above...hey, it's time to hang a shingle and start your own business :)

Hope this information helped and good luck with your searches.

amrita.misra15@gmail.com in Hermitage, Tennessee

33 months ago

I don't think those are the rates in southern state. I live in Nashville , TN. The last 3 interviews I had given with top companies where offering $40/hr-$45/hr on W2. Most companies that hire virtual recruiter or recruiters willing to work remotely pay around $25-$30/hr.

amrita.misra15@gmail.com in Hermitage, Tennessee

33 months ago

recruitingU in Cleveland, Ohio said: I'm not sure what group your talking about, but I'm going to jump in anyhow. One it depends on the environment, your working conditions...the amount of compensation. I've done both and I found that I make much more being a freelance contractor assighned to a specific project or search. The key is to keep being involved in

Ok. Your inputs was great. What i am talking about is that you can do the following as a recruiter
1. In-house recruiter/corporate recruiter (perm position)- most companies call it talent acquisition.
2. Contract recruiter - you could either work for an organisation or staffing firm
3. Recruiter in staffing/recruiting firm.
4. Independent recruiter - not attached to any firm but search for leads & fill positions yourself

I am looking for market intelligence in terms of billing/annual salary in all the above recruiting areas. This is for tech industries.

amrita misra in Hermitage, Tennessee

33 months ago

I am currently participating in a few interviews with leading staffing firm. The base offered is $38K/annum. However he says i will make most of my money in bonus and also mentioned that as a recruiter he used to earn in 6 figures. Is that true ? Do technical recruiters make that kind of money in the current economical climate ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

WWM in Seattle, Washington

32 months ago

I work as an independent contractor for a few companies and recruit mainly sales and tech positions. I charge $45-$70 per hour depending on the gig.

My question is I'd like to raise my rates for the next year and am struggling to find the right wording as to the reason for the increase. Basically I'm wanting to give myself a raise but can't really just say that now can I? :) Suggestions?

Crespinp in Phoenix, Arizona

29 months ago

Hello all,

I am currently looking for a new contract. I am a Senior Contract Recruiter with 20 years exp. I am based in Phoenix, Arizona Market but can work virtually for any state and fill positions nationwide.I have a full home office setup. I am not looking for a Commission based position. I can work on technical, healthcare, sales/marketing, administrative, executive as well as non- technical requisitions. I have placed Intermediate to "C" Level Candidates in my career. I also have agency experience running a full-desk. Please let me know of any leads you may have...I can send my cv letter. Thank you! :) I would truly appreciate it!!

Crespinp in Phoenix, Arizona

29 months ago

Hello all,
I am currently looking for a new contract. I am a Senior Contract Recruiter with 20 years exp. I am based in Phoenix, Arizona Market but can work virtually for any state and fill positions nationwide.I have a full home office setup. I am not looking for a Commission based position. I can work on technical, healthcare, sales/marketing, administrative, executive as well as non- technical requisitions. I have placed Intermediate to "C" Level Candidates in my career. I also have agency experience running a full-desk. Please let me know of any leads you may have...I can send my cv letter. Thank you! :) I would truly appreciate it!!

Job2012 in Paoli, Pennsylvania

28 months ago

All of this information is very helpful. I recently set up an LLC and am speaking with a number of RPOs to start on contract/1099/corp-to-corp assignments and they are offering ~$25/30 per hour. I have over 10 years of experience and this seems low for the Philadelphia area. Any advice on how to locate contract positions w/o going through a firm? Thoughts on the rates?

amrita misra in Hermitage, Tennessee

28 months ago

I totally agree. However in the last 1 year with an experience of 7years in recruiting , I have been offered $30/hr to $35/hr at the best by most companies. i guess there is more money as recruiter for staffing firms , where there is scope for money to be made in the form of bonus.

John in Englewood, Colorado

28 months ago

I have a technical recruiting company in Denver, CO and am exploring the option of adding an on-site contract recruiter or possibly someone who would work remotely. Candidates must have a min. of 5 years recent technical recruiting experience across a wide range of technologies. If interested, please send your resume, hourly requirements and information about your available resources for sourcing to me at john.snellings@mypeersource.com.

Patti in Laveen, Arizona

28 months ago

Hi John,

I would be interested in speaking with you regarding this.. I will send you my resume for consideration.

ejai in Brecksville, Ohio

27 months ago

recruitingU in Cleveland, Ohio said: Listen...One you always get everything in writing, stamped,dated and signed.

Are you a contract recruiter in Cleveland, OH?

Mark in Woodbridge, Ontario

24 months ago

Hello all,

Great to connect and hear from other contract recruiters across the board. I'm actually looking for new opportunities actively at the present moment. I've about 11 years of experience in recruitment in various industries and sectors. For more info about myself or to discuss a potential opportunity, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks,

Mark
moteebm@yahoo.ca

Dawn in Cleveland, Ohio

23 months ago

What are the rates like in Cleveland? I was charging $30 and was told I needed to raise my rates? based on what Mabel from Michigan posted a while ago, the midwest would call for $35-$55 an hour. Is that still valid?

Does anyone do commission from placement? For instance 40% of the selected candidates base salary?

Mable in Sterling Heights, Michigan

23 months ago

I would say $30.00 an hour is way too low for Contract Recruiting. Some internship or entry level contract recruiting may charge that rate. Cleveland, OH should allow for a bare bone hourly rate of $35w2 for Sr. Recruiters the rate should be $50 - $60w2. Avg. hourly rate in Midwest $45 - $50w2.

I think 40% fee for placement of candidates is too high. If I find someone all by myself and place them as a full-time employee I charge the client a 20% to 25% fee. For Contractors I charge an average mark-up of $10 to $20 an hour.

I've been staffing professionals across the USA for over 20yrs serving primarily as a contract recruiter. On occassion I will staff people via my incorporation and charge a fee.

Hope that helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dawn in Cleveland, Ohio

23 months ago

Mable in Sterling Heights, Michigan said: I would say $30.00 an hour is way too low for Contract Recruiting. Some internship or entry level contract recruiting may charge that rate. Cleveland, OH should allow for a bare bone hourly rate of $35w2 for Sr. Recruiters the rate should be $50 - $60w2. Avg. hourly rate in Midwest $45 - $50w2.

I think 40% fee for placement of candidates is too high. If I find someone all by myself and place them as a full-time employee I charge the client a 20% to 25% fee. For Contractors I charge an average mark-up of $10 to $20 an hour.

I've been staffing professionals across the USA for over 20yrs serving primarily as a contract recruiter. On occassion I will staff people via my incorporation and charge a fee.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Mable. I am a a Human Resources Virtual Assistant, and one of the services I offer is recruitment. Like I said I had my rates starting at $30 an hour, I am glad that it was suggested by industry professionals that I raise it, now while building my business, I can survive on less clients, larger hourly rate.

I too was thinking about 25 to 30%, I put 40% because I didn't know if I was too low there as well.

Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge!

Doug in Kissimmee, Florida

23 months ago

Hi All,

Just saw this string and wanted to mention that I have a database of contract recruiter pay rates on my Yahoo Group called ContractRecruiterJobs with over 6500 members. You may join and post your availability, look at posted job ads, etc for free.
Doug

Senior in Willoughby, Ohio

15 months ago

The going rate for a Senior Java Developer in Cleveland being billed out to a large company is between 70-90 per hour. The developer can get 55-60 plus some benefits (W-2). 30 an hour seems low if you have more than 7 years in.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.