AWAI's course

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (36)

dan09 in Portland, Texas

72 months ago

I would like to know is AWAI's course a good course to invest in if someone want's to start out a career in copywriting.
It cost's $457.00.
I have never done any writng offically for and company, but I feel I have what it takes to be a copywriter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

dan09 in Portland, Texas

71 months ago

Brooky in Brooklyn, New York said: >It cost's
>writng
>and company

First, learn how to spell. Attention to detail is part of the job description. I suggest a trip to the library to read up on the subject a little first. Free. Excellent ROI on **that** investment.

High,
Thanks for replying, I can spell I just get a little careless with my typing. So you think that would be a good investment.
Is it really true that anyone who just enjoy's writing and are fairly good at it can make it as a copy writer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jack Goldenberg in Randolph, New Jersey

65 months ago

I don't know much about AWAI. I do know that most copywriters spell copywriting as one word. Of course, it is not totally incorrect to spell copy writing as two form. It is, however, terribly bad form. Jack Goldenberg, World's Best Unemployed Copywriter

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Dacoh

60 months ago

AWAI's course is specific to writing sales letters. It does not teach you a single thing about writing ad or Web content. It is overpriced, but if you can find it on eBay for under $150, it's got some value. I am chuckling a little at one of the "copywriters" about who clearly doesn't know the differences among there/they're/their.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

George-Robinson in CA

48 months ago

There is lot of opportunities in the field of copywriting at present. Its a good place to write down your talents and make benefits. Copywriting jobs offers a variety of wrok prospectus towards the seekers. Finding out some reviews based on copywriting services will make your way smooth and simple.
essaysorigin.com

All the best :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Jack Goldenberg in Rockaway, New Jersey

48 months ago

There is a lot of opportunities? You should make your copywriter take a course in grammar.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

A working sales copywriter in Austin, Texas

47 months ago

There is an important distinction between writing copy and writing sales copy. I suspect that the above poster who disparaged AWAI may not be aware of this distinction.

If you just want to be a copywriter, then checking out a few books from the library is probably more than sufficient to educate yourself. If you want to make more money by specializing in persuasive copy that sells, the AWAI course is a very worthwhile investment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

A working sales copywriter in Austin, Texas

47 months ago

There is an important distinction between writing copy and writing sales copy. I suspect that the above poster who disparaged AWAI may not be aware of this distinction.

If you just want to be a copywriter, then checking out a few books from the library is probably more than sufficient to educate yourself. If you want to make more money by specializing in persuasive copy that sells, the AWAI course is a very worthwhile investment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

LJ Innes in North Brunswick, New Jersey

46 months ago

If you're going after a new career because you think it will make you rich, it will probably never make you happy. Any writing, whether for sales or entertainment needs to contain an element of passion. Speaking of passion, or compassion, you people are really rough on each other with the spelling - this is basically a forum not an essay or an article. People tend to be more relaxed in writing forums, emails or texting; that's just a fact. I have been working as an administrative legal secretary for all of my life. I have also been writing my fingers to the bone for years, trying to find that exact right thing that makes me smile. When I found copywriting, I knew it was perfect for me, since a lot of my writing is in "conversational" style. I just started AWAI's copywriting course. I love it. Having no formal education, I feel it's something that will definitely help me, and it's great for your resume. I followed their emails for over a year, and when I saw the price was going back up, I took the plunge. I'm confident I can do this, because it's something I'm passionate about. If you think copywriting fits your style, than go for it. The course does the hard sell, which is basically what copywriting is. It feeds to your emotions, telling you how wonderful it is. You have to see through all that, and see it all as a lesson. (And incidentally, copywriting often breaks the rules of English, even spelling)...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

laughingatbrooky in Antioch, California

41 months ago

Brooky in Brooklyn, New York said: >It cost's
>writng
>and company

First, learn how to spell. Attention to detail is part of the job description. I suggest a trip to the library to read up on the subject a little first. Free. Excellent ROI on **that** investment.

Ha ha Brooky - you missed one misspelled word...
>any writng *offically* for and

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

DB in Edinburgh, United Kingdom

37 months ago

If you think "checking out a few books from the library" will turn you into a copywriter, you're kidding yourself.

Learning from books is a start. But experience is what you need. And talent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lee in Edmonton, Alberta

35 months ago

I'm thinking about buying the course. Did you complete it & are you now working as a copywriter? Are you making the amounts they talk about in the sales letter? How much time are you spending on the job? How much time did you spend on the course? When you write a sales letter, are you able to be truthful or would your clients prefer that you shade it a bit, or is that something you don't really worry about? Did the course help you with the business end of things, such as finding clients, invoicing & getting paid, and keeping the books? I appreciate any insight you'd feel comfortable sharing, good or bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

zeech in Delray Beach, Florida

35 months ago

Sounds like a get-rich-quick scheme, too good to be true. Most companies have in-house copywriters. It's much cheaper. I know because I am one. Like any other trade, you have to advertise yourself and get business. Is that easy in today's economy? No. Companies are looking to cut costs. I think these outfits that advertise courses promising vast riches with little effort are preying on the desperate. Don't be fooled.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

WarrenzWorks in Portoviejo, Ecuador

31 months ago

Yes, companies are looking to cut costs. One of the ways they are doing so is to outsource work formerly done by in house employees to freelance writers, thereby saving cost of health insurance, retirement funds and other expenses of a full time copywriter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Felicia in Port Richey, Florida

30 months ago

I still haven't seen one person say that they've actually gotten money or copy writing jobs from this company. I did find a review on ripoff.com that said it was a scam and basically all they do is keep trying to upsell you more of their products, all the while making you believe it's your fault you haven't produced any money out of this.

It's interesting the name that was originally used was Mike Masterson or something, yet over the years it's changed several times. Same scam, different names.

If you want to be bombarded with requests for you to purchase more products, then go ahead and buy the course. They've got it all the way down to $49, which to me is the amount that most people use when they are perpetrating a scam. No one is willing to say they are making the same amount of money promised in the video to sell the course and no one is sharing the addresses of the people they are submitting their copy to.

Too many people asking questions, not enough examples of company names were things were actually purchased from copy writers or examples of letters that were able to gain these great fortunes that are being promised.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl in Seattle, Washington

29 months ago

There's so much incorrect information here... Yes, it's hard work and it's a competitive field. Just because you love to write doesn't guarantee you success in copywriting (yes, it's ONE word). Companies don't want to hire WRITERS, they want to hire copywriters who know how to convey a sales message through words. Big difference. And with today's economy, many companies are more willing to outsource rather than keep copywriters on staff. It's an excellent field if you are disciplined and willing to work hard (most people aren't willing to do what it takes so most do fail). I've been working in the field successfully for 6 years now. And yes, AWAI is very reputable and loaded with caring people who will bend over backwards to help you succeed if you do your part. They were the ones who launched my career. Their courses are anything but crap or a scam... With any new education, you have to invest in yourself. (By the way, I get nothing for making these comments!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Claudia in Port Charlotte, Florida

28 months ago

I like what Cheryl in Seattle, Washington had to say about AWAI. I've been undecided as to whether I should enroll in their web writing program or not. No matter what coarse one takes to pursue a vocation, the most important part is your own personal investment. Devote your time and develop the skills needed to do the job right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dina in Indianapolis, Indiana

26 months ago

Claudia in Port Charlotte, Florida said: I like what Cheryl in Seattle, Washington had to say about AWAI. I've been undecided as to whether I should enroll in their web writing program or not. No matter what coarse one takes to pursue a vocation, the most important part is your own personal investment . Devote your time and develop the skills needed to do the job right.

It's "course," not "coarse." It's hard to take anyone seriously with even one misspelling.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Kristin in Los Angeles, California

23 months ago

I was recently laid off and have come to a crossroads in my life where I'm trying to pin point the things that truly make me happy. Writing puts a smile on my face but my only experience is blogging. *sigh I have never taken a writing course nor have I ever been paid for my rants. My impetus for reaching out to the writing/copywriting realm comes from my fans that followed my blog...stating things like "You really need to write. You have a gift." Although it's nice to hear, will this translate into making a good living? I've read through the above comments, some laden with spelling errors (thanks for that laugh) and have found that I'm still confused on whether to plunge into the AWAI course. One commenter stated they found a review on ripoff.com while others say they are a scam, which makes me leary of Copyblogger.com, (where I came across their advertised course.) I suppose I'll just continue my quest to find the right course or delve a bit deeper into AWAI to make sure I'm not getting jacked. I don't like the fact that they perpetually advertise how much money they made in a ridiculously short span of time and the fact they take "Ritz Carlton"esque cruises with all the money they've made. Hmmm sounds a little scammy imo. If anyone has some insight about taking this course or suggestions about other ones...I'm all ears!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pamelak in Sioux Falls, South Dakota

23 months ago

Kristin in Los Angeles, California said: I was recently laid off and have come to a crossroads in my life where I'm trying to pin point the things that truly make me happy. Writing puts a smile on my face but my only experience is blogging. *sigh I have never taken a writing course nor have I ever been paid for my rants. My impetus for reaching out to the writing/copywriting realm comes from my fans that followed my blog...stating things like "You really need to write. You have a gift." Although it's nice to hear, will this translate into making a good living? I've read through the above comments, some laden with spelling errors (thanks for that laugh) and have found that I'm still confused on whether to plunge into the AWAI course. One commenter stated they found a review on ripoff.com while others say they are a scam, which makes me leary of Copyblogger.com, (where I came across their advertised course.) I suppose I'll just continue my quest to find the right course or delve a bit deeper into AWAI to make sure I'm not getting jacked. I don't like the fact that they perpetually advertise how much money they made in a ridiculously short span of time and the fact they take "Ritz Carlton"esque cruises with all the money they've made. Hmmm sounds a little scammy imo. If anyone has some insight about taking this course or suggestions about other ones...I'm all ears!

Hi. I sent for this course many years ago and was quite impressed with what I received. I started reading and soon decided to reluctantly return the materials - the course was WAY too demanding and I didn't want to work that hard! But boy did they ask you to do a ton of work - I have to believe if a person did everything required in the course that he/she would be able to get copywriting work. Now knowing what is involved (partially anyway) I am pondering whether or not to send for the course again--whether or not I would be willing to commit myself to the work required... to be continued..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pamelak in Sioux Falls, South Dakota

23 months ago

Pamelak in Sioux Falls, South Dakota said: Hi. I sent for this course many years ago and was quite impressed with what I received. I started reading and soon decided to reluctantly return the materials - the course was WAY too demanding and I didn't want to work that hard! But boy did they ask you to do a ton of work - I have to believe if a person did everything required in the course that he/she would be able to get copywriting work. Now knowing what is involved (partially anyway) I am pondering whether or not to send for the course again--whether or not I would be willing to commit myself to the work required... to be continued..

By the way I should mention that I received my money back and quickly - no questions asked!

So here I am... should I or shouldn't I? I KNOW I won't make six figures--I'm not a workaholic. But I sure would like to work "for myself" one day. I have written and had published several magazine articles - that was fun but paid a pittance. :-) I have written a novel, which is awful, but I'm considering trying the POD route with it anyway (after a rewrite).

One thing I wonder about writing sales letters is how can you sell something you haven't tried??? If one would get an offer to write a sales letter, does the company provide the writer with the object they want the writer to promote??

Anyway, still thinking... good luck with your decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Happy Day in Mexico, Mexico

22 months ago

Ok, so I bought the copywriting "course" from AWAI several years ago. I actually studied it and have an opinion.

1) It turns out it was NOT a COURSE, it was a PROGRAM. I don't know if that has changed these days. But this is very Important. AWAI didn't give me a certificate because it was NOT school, as I understand. May be now they are a school and they give certificates of studies. Ask about that.

2) It is a Program about copywriting. The topic is covered.

3) I actually liked it. The information is interesting and the writing drills does help you learn some things about copywriting. Though I wouldn't always use their approach in selling.

4) The course is about one specific copywriting strategy that might work in some cases, I don't believe it would work on every copywriting assignment. For the simple reason that not all products and not all clients are the same. Of course, AWAI would probably disagree with me on this point.

5) If you want to become a professional copywriter you should probably study in an actual SCHOOL. If you don't have money to go to school then study the ads themselves. Study infomercials. Infomercials usually have the copywriting sales process, method, approach, etc. pretty nailed. Study what they do and say.

6) There are great books, some are expensive, but you could learn a lot from them.

7) Copywriting is something useful to know. Will you be wealthy because of that knowledge. Well, as with everything. It depends on how you use that knowledge, of timing and opportunity.

To sum up: I liked the Program. Looking back I do think it was a little bit expensive. The Program itself is just plain information about writing copy. Probably the claims the program makes are not very realistic for most people.

I recently collaborated in creating a social media ad that was an absolute success. But it was because I have studied from many sources that it worked. Do that, study a lot.

Regards

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mr. Slade in Dallas, Oregon

21 months ago

Happy Day in Mexico,

Thank you for your reply. I am signed up for the Writer Digest emails, and they send this every three months about. I figure because it is coming from a noteworthy magazine/website is it alright - but I just didn't know. I think that you review of everything is honest, and can give all of us a better view on AWAI.

What I wonder now is: how do you find the writing jobs? I am a writing major focusing on linguistics, and public relations. I do copy almost everyday. But I don't know how to get into the business of it all.

Does anyone have thoughts on that? Where do you find the work? I am sure it is out there. According to my studies local business are looking for copy writers, I just can't seem to find them right now.

This is an interesting forum to follow - I hope that if I have made any mistakes (because I don't care to fix them right now) that people won't be too hard. In this world we have to support each other, because if we don't then there is no way anything productive will get done.

Happy Wednesday!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Matty in Vernon, France

20 months ago

Like Kristin I’ve been blogging for a while but now I feel I need to move forward. I guess pro copywriting is a very good way to make a career. I love the lifestyle copywriters say they have and of course, even if it’s hard work, better do it for yourself than for the other 3%. The thing is I still don’t know if I’ll make a 6 figures income like promised by AWAI’s Course. After reading Joseph Sugarman, Maria Veloso, Robert Cialdini and others, after attending The Ultimate Copywriter Course (yes, this is an affiliate link) which I consider fairly enough for someone who want to learn the basics and techniques of copywriting (it was my case few months ago!) and even lunch his own business for an affordable price, I ask myself if it’s worthy to buy AWAI’s Course, if I’ll learn further more than I’ve learned with The Ultimate Copywriter Course? I have to say AWAI’s Course it’s a huge investment for me and that comments here, doesn’t help as much as I wish. Thanks anyways!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Matty in Vernon, France

20 months ago

Kristin in Los Angeles, California said: I was recently laid off and have come to a crossroads in my life where I'm trying to pin point the things that truly make me happy. Writing puts a smile on my face but my only experience is blogging. *sigh I have never taken a writing course nor have I ever been paid for my rants. My impetus for reaching out to the writing/copywriting realm comes from my fans that followed my blog...stating things like "You really need to write. You have a gift." Although it's nice to hear, will this translate into making a good living? I've read through the above comments, some laden with spelling errors (thanks for that laugh) and have found that I'm still confused on whether to plunge into the AWAI course. One commenter stated they found a review on ripoff.com while others say they are a scam, which makes me leary of Copyblogger.com, (where I came across their advertised course.) I suppose I'll just continue my quest to find the right course or delve a bit deeper into AWAI to make sure I'm not getting jacked. I don't like the fact that they perpetually advertise how much money they made in a ridiculously short span of time and the fact they take "Ritz Carlton"esque cruises with all the money they've made. Hmmm sounds a little scammy imo. If anyone has some insight about taking this course or suggestions about other ones...I'm all ears!

Like Kristin I’ve been blogging for a while but now I feel I need to move forward. I guess pro copywriting is a very good way to make a career. I love the lifestyle copywriters say they have and of course, even if it’s hard work, better do it for yourself than for the other 3%. The thing is I still don’t know if I’ll make a 6 figures income like promised by AWAI’s Course. After reading Joseph Sugarman, Maria Veloso, Robert Cialdini and others, after attending The Ultimate Copywriter Course which I consider fairly enough for someone who want to learn the bas

Nicki Krawczyk in Brookline, Massachusetts

19 months ago

Be very wary of *any* course that promises that you can make six figures or work from home all the time. Copywriting is a great career, but, like any career, it does require some training and some practice. That said, though, there is plenty of work to go around and those who are willing to work hard and hustle (and get training!) should have no problem making a comfortable income.

Please, though, be aware that you'll make more money if you're willing to go into companies' offices and work with them there (whether on-staff or as a contractor). It's usually smaller clients that don't mind you working from home and those are usually less lucrative.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nicki Krawczyk in Brookline, Massachusetts

19 months ago

Also, just one more note: A major misconception is that any kind of writing qualifies as copy. Copy is writing that sells or persuades based on several important principles (highlighting benefits, utilizing calls to action, writing in the brand voice, etc.). Articles, blogs and other types of writing are "content"—they are designed to entertain, inform or inspire.

TraderSam in Baltimore, Maryland

18 months ago

OK. A few responses to the various levels of criticism. Yes, AWAI does not offer degrees or certificates, except for a couple of programs by Dan Kennedy and an SEO trainer, Heather Lloyd-Martin. However, I completely disagree with the poster who advises going to school to learn marketing. They will train you in the big budget--Clio seeking--no accountability advertising that passes for marketing today. If you really want a career in copywriting, learn from the masters: Collier, Hopkins, Barton, Caples, Kennedy, Schwartz, Bly, Halbert, Carton, Makepeace, and yes the many terrific resources of AWAI. (Yes, I am a Circle of Success member and I consider the thousands I spent to be one the best investments I ever made.)

AWAI does not suggest that you study them and only them. Do you think their marketing abilities sprang out of the ether? A true working copywriter is constantly improving his copywriting skills and furthering his education. It is simply that academia is particularly ill suited to provide this type of training. If Nicki thinks 6 figures can't be earned from home, perhaps she should get hold of Bob Bly. Yes, he does answer the phone. Nick Usborne and Josh Boswell could probably provide some enlightenment in this area as well.

As to the complaint about AWAI's course be directed to a sales letter exclusively, anyone who looks into the AWAI website will realize that there are over 40 courses from autoresponder training to web content,web sales writing. My favorite feature of AWAI was the payment plan that allowed me to attend my first conference for free. I have access to their programs for life, and I can attend Bootcamp free for the rest of my life--or as long as they are in business. Judging from what I saw this past year, and accounting for the incredible growth in attendance for this past years boot camp, I have a feeling, I'll be going for a very long time, indeed.

I wasn't well prepared last year. This year, I will be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bruce Caswell in Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom

18 months ago

I would like to endorse the AWAI Copywriting Course. I have a personal goal to complete it over the next 90 days and already, after only three lessons, I am finding my copywriting muscles getting stronger. I would recommend investing in the course, unless spending the cash is going to create financial hardship. As for grammar and spelling mistakes, don't get hung up on either. As everyone who has ever written anything for publication knows, you must get your material proof read by someone else before sending it for publication. Your proofreader will pick up any typos and other mistakes. Even then, some will get though every so often. But so what, we are all human!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JEP in Tempe, Arizona

13 months ago

I would like to add comments to the good advice given you. I would recommend that you learn punctuation rules as well as proper parallelism in verb use. That is, "They are," but "He is."

Copywriting can be learned, and AWAI is an excellent teacher. I enrolled in the resume writing course, and now I plan to take their courses in writing white papers and grant proposal writing. (And I am a former executive in the consumer healthcare industry, and I used to write dozens of proposals a year. But I think AWAI can teach me so much more.)

One last thing. I hope you won't be bullied into inaction by those in these threads who insist that AWAI is a ripoff. I've seen nothing of the kind. I would recommend AWAI as a way to improve your skill and increase your livelihood.

Best of luck. You can succeed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

dbshort in Charlotte, North Carolina

12 months ago

TraderSam, I would like to know more about your actual writing career. I absolutely love writing and I am at a crossroads in my life. Could you give me more info about making a great living in the writing field. It truly would be my dream job, but I am at a place that I can not afford to waste any money.

12 months ago

Hey db,

AT this point I would still classify myself as a newbie, but I wouldn't even be this far if I hadn't joined AWAI. I just finished a project, and I plan to start another before the month is out. I am still part time because I can't yet walk away from my job. If I was working at my writing full time, I could probably shorten my learning curve considerably, but I do have to consider not scaring the crap out of my wife. Like I said, if you want to know more about making a great living in the field, there are those far better qualified than I. I met them at conference this year. They don't do it because they need the honorarium; they come every year because good copywriters are hard to find, and they know they have a good chance of finding one at any of AWAI's various conferences. Besides the aforementioned, they are simply really decent guys. They both answer personal emails, and from my contacts with Bob Bly, I can personally assure you, he picks up his own phone. As I mentioned before, Bob Bly has a wealth of experience in the B2B field--the I have been convinced to pursue since my most recent conference. Get on his e-mail list. His free content is worth more than much of the paid content I have accumulated over the years. The prices on his entry level material won't bust anyone's piggy bank. The other person I recommend if you want find out how great the writing life can be is Peter Bowerman--a real flesh and blood--many years in the seat--copywriter, who provides excellent non-budget busting advice. Not only is his advice practical, but it is actionable. Check them out. Seriously, I don't think you'll regret it. To show you how highly regarded AWAI by professional copywriters, you should know that both Bly and Bowerman are AWAI affiliates, although neither of them uses a strong sell approach. Good luck to you. If writing really is your dream career, write as often as you can and never quit. BTW, the only person I compare myself to these days is me:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

dbshort in Indian Trail, North Carolina

12 months ago

Thanks so much for your input. I really appreciate you answering my post.

12 months ago

dbshort in Indian Trail, North Carolina said: Thanks so much for your input. I really appreciate you answering my post.

You're welcome db. Best of luck, who knows, maybe I'll see you at conference one of these days. It took me almost ten years to get up the gumption. I wish I hadn't waited so long.

Regards,

TraderSam

AtantaJanet in Forest Park, Illinois

11 months ago

LJ Innes, in a forum discussing copywriting, we should be rough on one another when it comes to making spelling errors. Whether or not in a forum, anyone seeking to enter any field that involves writing should be able to write! Otherwise, the person doesn't belong in the field. Lord knows we have enough illiteracy in the world of texting and online communication; we don't need to excuse it in a realm that is supposedly inhabited by word masters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

TraderSam in Abingdon, Maryland

11 months ago

Your comments are true enough; we suffer from a paucity of good writing today, which is all the more distressing when one considers the sheer amount of content resultant from the rise of the internet and the blogosphere. To that end, one should know their way around the language sufficiently to clarify and not obfuscate, but remember that copywriting--especially direct response copywriting--and literature are remote cousins at best. Many of the conventions that work in the literary realm, are a hindrance to sales writing and response rates. Bill Bonner, arguably the greatest copywriter today, writes at about a fifth grade level. I attended the AWAI conference on copywriting this past October, and I believe it was John Forde who made this point. He spoke about the Flesch-Kincaid readability scale. He then made a particular point about sales success, indeed massive success, being tied to scores between the seventh to fifth grade levels. Single-word-sentences, for example, are received in the copywriting world with neither criticism nor disdain. It is the pragmatic that is held in highest regard in sales writing, and if the public prefers fragments, and truncated or cliched speech, it is wise to give it to them. In direct marketing, change comes from repeated testing, that change occurring only when the previous campaign, tactic, or stylistic device has been proved inferior. Context is more important than content here, and the key goal should be to promote a clear message that doesn't impede the sales process. After all, if you are trying to sell someone on widget x, whatever approach stokes his desire to buy is the best approach to employ, whether it breaks a few rules or not.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.