Getting ahead...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a hirable copywriter? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective copywriter?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

TC Photography and Design in Rancho Santa Margarita, California

75 months ago

Therese in Sacramento, California said: You just need to start writing and gaining experience. I've been freelancing for about a year now and I had a background in PR and marketing and fundraising but my skills have been transferable to copywriting.

If you're looking to gain more experience and are female, Prevention.com is looking for bloggers for a new writing opportunity. Blogging is actually a lot like copywriting because you have to be fairly succinct and to the point. It's another way to gain experience and more writing skills.

Here's the information:
Prevention Magazine is now accepting applicants for a new paid contributor program that will power their new community:

buzz.prevention.com/community/

Women, ages 18 and older are asked to submit an application here:

buzz.prevention.com/community/

They are looking for writers and photographers, but experience is not necessary.

This is part of an effort to get real women contributing real content about their lives, health, diet and family.

The program is limited, interested women should apply soon.

Isn't there enough of these kinds of jobs/blogs/forums where it's all about woman, I wish I'd see more about men...we as a society have become slit along all lines so much, it's not even funny.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Frances in Sydney, Australia

74 months ago

I agree that you just have to get a lot of writing experience. The more you write the better you'll get at constructing good sentences. It's also good to stay in the know as cultural reference is important for some types of copywriting. You might even want to start out writing content for websites. I started my career working at www.redballoondays.com.au/ Once I had some industry experience I did a few courses to hone my skills. Real work experience is better than classes, I have found.

tcphotodesign in Rancho Santa Margarita, California

74 months ago

I believe I have real world experience. For example I applied for a job for which I know I could do and have experience. I have applied 3 separate times, for similar jobs related to photography to this company. The company still has not called me for even an interview. It's clear by my web site and my resume that I possess the required qualifications.

In today's world, personally I think it has more to do with a candidate being accepted for a job based on race and gender which advances a company's own agenda by profiling. The interesting thing now is, whites' are being the one not hired for this reason, and all other races hire "their own" to push them up the ladder, when it comes to whites hiring, white managers are also hiring the so called minorities (woman and any other race then white), to fill their quota, and the plain white guy does not get a chance because white, middle age men do not equal ethnic balance. *All things being equal, skill, experience, etc. white man against a black, asian, mexican, indian female or male, the white guy loses. No one talks about it, but it's happening. If your white you get called racist for even bringing it up, that's how they keep the subject from coming up.... pretty sad-

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Cynthia in Richton Park, Illinois

74 months ago

Yes it is sad that you think race is the reason this company has not called you. There could be numerous reasons why you were not called - even if you are qualified. Perhaps there are others that are just as qualified, today's job seekers are quite skilled and the market is very competitive. Maybe the company did hire a white, middle age man, it just happened that it was not you. Instead of focusing on race, why not continue to seek other opportunities? I am sure if you are talented, with a great website, great resume and possess the required qualifications, you will find the ideal photograpy related position that you desire.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Cynthia, you sort of twisted my words, no I guess you did- not sort of.
You can deny all you want, your in a protected class, your a female, I would not expect you to understand a middle age white guys situation. I have sent out dozens of resumes, replied multiple times to job postings to find out 3 months later that same company is looking to fill that position again. I have my resume on at least a dozen job boards.

The jobs I am applying for are easy, assistant stuff, not to even be called in for an interview? I may be over qualified, but at the same time I read stories where they say, you have start some where, they say, experience counts, not just a degree. I have a unique situation where I do not have to make more than 30-40K a year, as my wife is an engineer and makes A LOT. I have life experience, yet I see these “punks” who have purple hair, huge earrings, tattoos etc, don’t even say hi or have a nice day when you shot at a store. They look at you funny if you ask them if they had customer service training for their job. Yet they get hired.
Come on- After a while it get's really old when you know you’re qualified. If what you say is true and someone else got the job that was more qualified, how qualified do you need to be, to be an assistant? I possess more than enough skills to be an assistant for god sake.

If I where black, or Hispanic or a female, I could cry sexism, discrimination or what ever else, but as soon as a white guy experiences the same thing...it's sad.

I guess we will never know if another white guy was chosen over me like you suggest. I really doubt it. When you go to a company like newegg.com for example and you see how "racially diversified" they are, I think you'll see what I'm saying.

You can disagree with me, just don't say I'm sad- that really isn't helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

I stand by my comments. Get over it, continue to seek other opportunities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Cynthia, Get over it yourself. I have and am and do.
Please do not respond or comment. I really dislike people who have not an ability to be respectful or some kind of empathy for others.

Your inability to display any sort of kind tone is typical of people these days, esp. woman in general and your attitude is poor and kindness is extremely lacking. How about you work on that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Tough love.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MKB in Park Forest, Illinois

74 months ago

Tim, I looked at your website, I think I know why you're not getting call-backs after you send them to your website. I only took a quick look, I went to the "About" section and read this:

"As a freelance photographer there are times when I've had to prove my worth just because I don't have a degree. I've struggled at times just to be taken seriously or be considered legitimate, even within my chosen field by my peers as well as editors and art directors and those who would potentially hire me."

That doesn't present you well. Potential employers don't want to hear that. If I were you, I would omit all the parts about your struggle and personal situation. Just talk about your strengths and love of the work. You might just want to omit that whole section and just showcase your work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MKB in Park Forest, Illinois

74 months ago

PS. I also meant to say, I saw your photo on myspace-- you look Latino-- you could pass!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

GerberInk in Cameron, New York

74 months ago

tcphotodesign in Rancho Santa Margarita, California said: I believe I have real world experience. For example I applied for a job for which I know I could do and have experience. I have applied 3 separate times, for similar jobs related to photography to this company. The company still has not called me for even an interview. It's clear by my web site and my resume that I possess the required qualifications.

In today's world, personally I think it has more to do with a candidate being accepted for a job based on race and gender which advances a company's own agenda by profiling. The interesting thing now is, whites' are being the one not hired for this reason, and all other races hire "their own" to push them up the ladder, when it comes to whites hiring, white managers are also hiring the so called minorities (woman and any other race then white), to fill their quota, and the plain white guy does not get a chance because white, middle age men do not equal ethnic balance. *All things being equal, skill, experience, etc. white man against a black, asian, mexican, indian female or male, the white guy loses. No one talks about it, but it's happening. If your white you get called racist for even bringing it up, that's how they keep the subject from coming up.... pretty sad-

I have to agree with you, whether anyone else does or not is moot. I'm white, a female and have seen this happen to white guys in the banking industry. In my personal experience, companies have their feet held to the fire to meet certain quotas and "celebrate diversity." I firmly believe that the most qualified people should be hired, but I've seen total boneheads get hired instead. The good news is, if they don't deliver, and most of them don't, they get their walking papers soon enough.

My advice is to keep trying and if you get sick of lousy results, start your own business. There's no substitute for talent, and luckily talent is color blind. Hang in there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Thank you! I agree, I believe the most qualified person should get the chance. I also believe based on the number of times I've applied, my qualifications, etc that I should at least be called in for an interview to see what I can do.

This other person, who's replied to my post is obviously one of these people who has no clue...maybe everything in life has gone easy for this person and she has no empathy for men what so ever???

Thanks for your support! It does happen, more than people realize where men are passed over for some kind of diversity advancment PC thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

MKB in Park Forest, Illinois said: Tim, I looked at your website, I think I know why you're not getting call-backs after you send them to your website. I only took a quick look, I went to the "About" section and read this:

"As a freelance photographer there are times when I've had to prove my worth just because I don't have a degree. I've struggled at times just to be taken seriously or be considered legitimate, even within my chosen field by my peers as well as editors and art directors and those who would potentially hire me."

That doesn't present you well. Potential employers don't want to hear that. If I were you, I would omit all the parts about your struggle and personal situation. Just talk about your strengths and love of the work. You might just want to omit that whole section and just showcase your work.

Thanks for the feedback on the about page. Here is my problem with that. I'm trying to be honest and tell a story. If I leave out parts of the story that are true, self censoring or telling only part of the truth to be viewed as more qualified or more appealing to me seems disingenuous? No? I will do that anyway- I would think they are looking at the images too to weight it all out, right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Insider in Saint Petersburg, Florida

74 months ago

"This is the true joy in life,
the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy."

- George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Epistle Dedicatory

Next.

eagerbeaver24 in Sydney, Australia

70 months ago

I also want to learn a lot about copywriting coz I want changes in my career. I heard about this online course www.inst.org/copy/become.htm
and I was hoping one of you could tell me if it's worth taking this course or is it better to enroll to a normal college?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

user namwe in Delray Beach, Florida

68 months ago

tcphotodesign in Rancho Santa Margarita, California said: I believe I have real world experience. For example I applied for a job for which I know I could do and have experience. I have applied 3 separate times, for similar jobs related to photography to this company. The company still has not called me for even an interview. It's clear by my web site and my resume that I possess the required qualifications.

kill whitey

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

GG in Fayetteville, North Carolina

61 months ago

Have you considered that you are being overlooked, because you don't know the difference between the words then and than? Sounds like your skills are limited, and you blame everyone but yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Andrew

58 months ago

tcphotodesign in Rancho Santa Margarita, California said: Cynthia, Get over it yourself. I have and am and do.
Please do not respond or comment. I really dislike people who have not an ability to be respectful or some kind of empathy for others.
Your inability to display any sort of kind tone is typical of people these days, esp. woman in general and your attitude is poor and kindness is extremely lacking. How about you work on that.

First of all, the first thing an employer sees is your resume. They can't tell your ethnic background from an electronic file. So perhaps it has NOTHING to do with your race, but EVERYTHING to do with they way you present yourself and also your experience. I am a recruiter and I can tell you there are MANY qualified applicants applying for job openings and only the BEST get selected. From the moment I open an email from a job applicants, you are being jugded. Actually even before that. Some people use some very unprofessional email addresses. The first few sentence of the cover letter sets the tone. I generally open all attachments regardless of how horrible the cover letter is, just to take a peak at the experience. Within 30 seconds, I know if I want to continue reviewing a resume or not. It's that quick...especially if the cover letter sucked.

Another bit of advice, if a hiring manager sees your resume on every web site week after week, that's telling them that no one wants to hire you. It's kind of like if you're buying a house and you see that it's been on the market for 6 months. Most people would think there must be something wrong with that house or it would have sold. Same is true in recruiting.

Finally, you don't know how many over qualified applicants I look at on a daily basis. An Employer is looking for "the right" fit, not just a body. If the ad says "1-2 years experience", it's saying that for a reason. Over qualified is just as bad. Start looking at yourself instead of blaming everyone else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dacoh

58 months ago

Please don't fight.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lee in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

44 months ago

tcphotodesign in Rancho Santa Margarita, California said: Cynthia, you sort of twisted my words, no I guess you did- not sort of.
You can deny all you want, your in a protected class, your a female, I would not expect you to understand a middle age white guys situation. I have sent out dozens of resumes, replied multiple times to job postings to find out 3 months later that same company is looking to fill that position again. I have my resume on at least a dozen job boards.

But... you really don't write that well. "Your" instead of "you're" for example. Your writing has several grammatical errors; maybe instead of blame you could focus on sharpening your skills and becoming more competitive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.