2017 may 30th cdcr academy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 949)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Myles in Elk Grove, California

6 months ago

Figured I'd star this one. My name was posted on the hire list on Feb 28th.

Score, 90

Really hoping for this one. Anyone else?

More concerns and info if anybody posts.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Buzo in Stockton, California

6 months ago

Applied April 2015,
Cleared November 2016.
Score 80.
Institutions : Any.

Reply - Report abuse

Jbone in Sacramento, California

6 months ago

Buzo in Stockton, California said: Applied April 2015,
Cleared November 2016.
Score 80.
Institutions : Any.

Are you a 9 or 5 series?

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

I'm in in the 5

Application accepted April 2015

Completion notice January 2017

On the hire list February 28th

Score, 90.

Listed some institutions I would prefer (4 or so) than any.

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

I'm really hoping on this next academy. The first one passed, (april) and I only have two more on the hiring list. Getting worried. I don't want to move to far from my son, but I don't want to pass up a good thing I have been working on for two years. How many people get near their home?

Reply - Report abuse

Buzo in Stockton, California

6 months ago

Jbone in Sacramento, California said: Are you a 9 or 5 series?

a 5

Reply - Report abuse

Edward361 in California

6 months ago

Just would like to give you guys a heads up that there are about 440 9s left. That's the last update I've received 2 weeks ago.

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

So what does that really mean? If I scored a 90, will a 9 with a score of 75 really get an offer first?

Reply - Report abuse

Jbone in Rancho Cordova, California

6 months ago

Myles in Elk Grove, California said: So what does that really mean? If I scored a 90, will a 9 with a score of 75 really get an offer first?

Yes, you cannot get an offer until the 9's have gotten theirs. There will however be 5's that bleed through because some 9's will be picky or turn down offers. They do this because many 9's have already gotten extensions and are about to expire.

Reply - Report abuse

Jbone in Rancho Cordova, California

6 months ago

Edward361 in California said: Just would like to give you guys a heads up that there are about 440 9s left. That's the last update I've received 2 weeks ago.

That is not accurate now. That was before the offers for the April academy went out.

Reply - Report abuse

Edward361 in California

6 months ago

Jbone in Rancho Cordova, California said: Yes, you cannot get an offer until the 9's have gotten theirs. There will however be 5's that bleed through because some 9's will be picky or turn down offers. They do this because many 9's have already gotten extensions and are about to expire.

That's what I was told. I'm a 9 with a score of a 80 so my guess is I have to be picked up in these next 4 academy's. Hopefully

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Edward361 in California said: That's what I was told. I'm a 9 with a score of a 80 so my guess is I have to be picked up in these next 4 academy's. Hopefully

Theoretically, but as I mentioned it's all based on what you listed as your institutions. You could be a 95 score as a 9 series, but if you only list one institution that's a very sought out institution you may never get an offer. If you put "any" as your preferred institutions it would be highly likely you will be in the May academy as there is probably around 300 9 series left.

Reply - Report abuse

WhoWould HaveThought in San Diego, California

6 months ago

Started in October 2014

Cleared in December 2016

Picked all southern area institutions

On February 28th hiring list...

Scored 90

And I'm a 9 series candidate

Hope I'll be in the May academy if not, thinking about changing to ALL for my institutions??? That way I should be in the July academy for sure!

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

I wonder why they would put 5 series on the list so early then. My app has 8 months left, but from what I understand you time on the hire list can't be extended?

Reply - Report abuse

Edward361 in California

6 months ago

Myles in Elk Grove, California said: I wonder why they would put 5 series on the list so early then. My app has 8 months left, but from what I understand you time on the hire list can't be extended?

Correct.

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Myles in Elk Grove, California said: I wonder why they would put 5 series on the list so early then. My app has 8 months left, but from what I understand you time on the hire list can't be extended?

I cleared in Feb and only had 4 months left on my list life. Your application can be extended, many 9 series had their applications extended by a year.

Reply - Report abuse

Myles in San Leandro, California

6 months ago

Jbone in Sacramento, California said: I cleared in Feb and only had 4 months left on my list life. Your application can be extended, many 9 series had their applications extended by a year.

Yeah that's what I mean. Why not save my application and put me on the list in a couple months when more 9s are hired. But I try not to say why when it comes to the state. Just hoping.

Reply - Report abuse

Summer22 in California

6 months ago

Applied November 2014
Cleared September 2016
Score 85
5 series
Expire 5/31/17

No offers yet

Reply - Report abuse

Jbone in Stevinson, California

6 months ago

Myles in San Leandro, California said: Yeah that's what I mean. Why not save my application and put me on the list in a couple months when more 9s are hired. But I try not to say why when it comes to the state. Just hoping.

I mean it's not really a negative that you are on the list. You have a low chance as a 5 to get an offer, but if you weren't on the list your chances would be zero. I think some people don't understand how offers work and get high hopes for quick offers. It sounds like OPOS is receptive giving number of 9 and 5 series candidates, so you can kind of estimate when an offer will come to you.

Reply - Report abuse

Angus45 in Corona, California

6 months ago

Applied: April 2015
cleared: September 2016
score: 90
5 series
expire: 6/30/17

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Jbone in Stevinson, California said: I mean it's not really a negative that you are on the list. You have a low chance as a 5 to get an offer, but if you weren't on the list your chances would be zero. I think some people don't understand how offers work and get high hopes for quick offers. It sounds like OPOS is receptive giving number of 9 and 5 series candidates, so you can kind of estimate when an offer will come to you.

I don't disagree. Just weird. And nothing against 9 series, but why extend one, and possibly add 5 series too soon and time out. If a lot of 5 time out you can be loosing good people. Just why I don't try to understand the state. I understand how the flow of offers work. So I still check everyday for that last minute. Always hopeful.

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Myles in Elk Grove, California said: I don't disagree. Just weird. And nothing against 9 series, but why extend one, and possibly add 5 series too soon and time out. If a lot of 5 time out you can be loosing good people. Just why I don't try to understand the state. I understand how the flow of offers work. So I still check everyday for that last minute. Always hopeful.

I do remember a post on these forums someone from OPOS e-mailed them regarding a question that 95% of all cleared applicants get an offer. Whether or not that is real is another story. If that statistic is true then the last 5% that didn't get an offer might have been the applicants that decline offers or are really picky with their institutions. The bottom line for CDCR is they spent well over a grand on us to push us through this process and they themselves don't want to waste cleared candidates that are ready to go. The only gripe I have is when I cleared earlier last month I was already within 4 months of expiring. It would make me feel a lot better if they would extend our applications. Fortunately for me I actually do not want to go to the academy for a bit, as I want to accomplish a few more things before I go, so waiting for me isn't a big deal, unless I expire of course.

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Jbone in Sacramento, California said: I do remember a post on these forums someone from OPOS e-mailed them regarding a question that 95% of all cleared applicants get an offer. Whether or not that is real is another story. If that statistic is true then the last 5% that didn't get an offer might have been the applicants that decline offers or are really picky with their institutions. The bottom line for CDCR is they spent well over a grand on us to push us through this process and they themselves don't want to waste cleared candidates that are ready to go. The only gripe I have is when I cleared earlier last month I was already within 4 months of expiring. It would make me feel a lot better if they would extend our applications. Fortunately for me I actually do not want to go to the academy for a bit, as I want to accomplish a few more things before I go, so waiting for me isn't a big deal, unless I expire of course.

I'm hoping that a true. And I just got on the list on the 28th. I scored well, and have two more academy dates I could make. I also listed 5 institutions, followed by any. But like all of us here. Can't help but get a bit anxious around the 2 year mark. Next month is 2 years for me. I don't mean to sound like some of the people i hear complaining around indeed, just can't wait. (Well I can, and I have to. But you know.) I'm ready for notice now. I'm down over 30 pounds from when I took my physical fitness test, and my preemployment physical. Feeling good and ready to go.

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Myles in Elk Grove, California said: I'm hoping that a true. And I just got on the list on the 28th. I scored well, and have two more academy dates I could make. I also listed 5 institutions, followed by any. But like all of us here. Can't help but get a bit anxious around the 2 year mark. Next month is 2 years for me. I don't mean to sound like some of the people i hear complaining around indeed, just can't wait. (Well I can, and I have to. But you know.) I'm ready for notice now. I'm down over 30 pounds from when I took my physical fitness test, and my preemployment physical. Feeling good and ready to go.

I got on the 28th hiring list too. I didn't score well unfortunately. I put a blanket statement "any" on mine. I'm afraid that if I put some institutions first and the any that they might say "well we'll probably have an opening next for him at that institution, so we'll skip him until the next set of offers". I wish I were you prepared, I'm in terrible shape right now. I just started working out again recently, so I think in about 2-3 months I'll be ready. Like you I am getting anxious as next month will be the 2 year mark for me as well. As for complaining I think the vast majority of the people are willing to wait if they know they will eventually get an offer. I just want my foot in the door at some point.

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Jbone in Sacramento, California said: I got on the 28th hiring list too. I didn't score well unfortunately. I put a blanket statement "any" on mine. I'm afraid that if I put some institutions first and the any that they might say "well we'll probably have an opening next for him at that institution, so we'll skip him until the next set of offers". I wish I were you prepared, I'm in terrible shape right now. I just started working out again recently, so I think in about 2-3 months I'll be ready. Like you I am getting anxious as next month will be the 2 year mark for me as well. As for complaining I think the vast majority of the people are willing to wait if they know they will eventually get an offer. I just want my foot in the door at some point.

If you passed all the stuff so far I wouldn't be worried about the academy. I am going through some family stuff. Summer is coming up. I have 2 motorcycles and a boat. So it's not just for the academy, but it can't hurt. Just push yourself and you should be good. I have a glock and a ton of shooting experience. So that helps. BUT I have heard of people failing that. I'm in sacramento (didn't feel like changing stuff here) if you don't let me know and I'm always down to go shooting. I'm in the elk Grove area.

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Jbone in Stevinson, California said: I mean it's not really a negative that you are on the list. You have a low chance as a 5 to get an offer, but if you weren't on the list your chances would be zero. I think some people don't understand how offers work and get high hopes for quick offers. It sounds like OPOS is receptive giving number of 9 and 5 series candidates, so you can kind of estimate when an offer will come to you.

If you don't, let me know***

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Myles in Elk Grove, California said: If you passed all the stuff so far I wouldn't be worried about the academy. I am going through some family stuff. Summer is coming up. I have 2 motorcycles and a boat. So it's not just for the academy, but it can't hurt. Just push yourself and you should be good. I have a glock and a ton of shooting experience. So that helps. BUT I have heard of people failing that. I'm in sacramento (didn't feel like changing stuff here) if you don't let me know and I'm always down to go shooting. I'm in the elk Grove area.

Thanks man. I was actually looking into getting a 9mm Glock to prepare for the academy. I'm in the Natomas area, so you are pretty close. I'm definitely rusty as I have shot only a couple times in my life, so it's something I'm going to do before I go. I'll keep that in mind and hit you up when I buy it.

Reply - Report abuse

gb1884 in Visalia, California

6 months ago

Jbone in Sacramento, California said: Thanks man. I was actually looking into getting a 9mm Glock to prepare for the academy. I'm in the Natomas area, so you are pretty close. I'm definitely rusty as I have shot only a couple times in my life, so it's something I'm going to do before I go. I'll keep that in mind and hit you up when I buy it.

Get a 40mm thats what we use in cdcr

Reply - Report abuse

gb1884 in Visalia, California

6 months ago

gb1884 in Visalia, California said: Get a 40 caliber thats what we use in cdcr

40 caliber sorry

Reply - Report abuse

Isbell in Tehachapi, California

6 months ago

Jbone in Sacramento, California said: Theoretically, but as I mentioned it's all based on what you listed as your institutions. You could be a 95 score as a 9 series, but if you only list one institution that's a very sought out institution you may never get an offer. If you put "any" as your preferred institutions it would be highly likely you will be in the May academy as there is probably around 300 9 series left.

How many go to the academy at a time?
I am also a 9 with an 80 score. Referenced several preferences and last one as "any".
Been waiting since I applied 1/2015.

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Isbell in Tehachapi, California said: How many go to the academy at a time?
I am also a 9 with an 80 score. Referenced several preferences and last one as "any".
Been waiting since I applied 1/2015.

125. Honestly I don't know if you put institutions before any if it impacts them giving you an offer, but if it doesn't you have an amazing chance getting in the May academy. Your score is good and there are not many people willing to go anywhere (OPOS's words). I think there are less than 300 9 series left.

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Nice! Thank you for your info! This is very helpful!
I suppose hiring for the May 30th academy date won't be known till 4/10 or thereafter?
Do you receive information from OPOS regarding how many 9's are left?

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Jbone in Stevinson, California said: 125. Honestly I don't know if you put institutions before any if it impacts them giving you an offer, but if it doesn't you have an amazing chance getting in the May academy. Your score is good and there are not many people willing to go anywhere (OPOS's words). I think there are less than 300 9 series left.

Put my reply in wrong area. So I'm copying any pasting:
I suppose hiring for the May 30th academy date won't be known till 4/10 or thereafter?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Isbell in Tehachapi, California said: Put my reply in wrong area. So I'm copying any pasting:

There were posts on other threads where before the April offers came out that OPOS gave a reply back stating there was a little over 400 9 series left, so minus 125 because I'm assuming little to none 5 series got an offer. Either way if you don't get an offer in May it's literally almost guaranteed you will for the July academy. There was another post where a guy was checking his ETA for an offer and OPOS claimed they have many applicants who are only willing to go to one or two institutions, so I think you're in a great position, if of course those posts were correct.

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Jbone in Stevinson, California said: There were posts on other threads where before the April offers came out that OPOS gave a reply back stating there was a little over 400 9 series left, so minus 125 because I'm assuming little to none 5 series got an offer. Either way if you don't get an offer in May it's literally almost guaranteed you will for the July academy. There was another post where a guy was checking his ETA for an offer and OPOS claimed they have many applicants who are only willing to go to one or two institutions, so I think you're in a great position, if of course those posts were correct.

Thank you very much! I will look to see what other threads are out there and research a bit. I appreciate all your replies; thank you!

Reply - Report abuse

Flash661 in California

6 months ago

Hi!!! I have two women's small pt shorts and two women's small pt sweat pants if anyone is interested.. it's not much but if u are in the Bakersfield area and could use them I'd be more than happy to pass them along.

Also, my husband has a bunch of size 35R and 36R pants he can give to someone who needs them.

Email me if interested quiroz.marquez@yahoo.com

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Flash661 in California said: Hi!!! I have two women's small pt shorts and two women's small pt sweat pants if anyone is interested.. it's not much but if u are in the Bakersfield area and could use them I'd be more than happy to pass them along.

Also, my husband has a bunch of size 35R and 36R pants he can give to someone who needs

Email me if interested quiroz.marquez@yahoo.com

Hi there! I emailed you regarding your women's pt sweats and shorts, thank you!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

sbeth1 in Chino, California

6 months ago

Cleared in October 2016
Score: 75
Institutions: any
9 series
No offers yet

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Edward361 in California

6 months ago

sbeth1 in Chino, California said: Cleared in October 2016
Score: 75
Institutions: any
9 series
No offers yet

300 9s left. You'll be called up very soon

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Ago372 in Hanford, California

6 months ago

In May a decision is also going to be made on increasing the amount of cadets from 125 to 237. Good luck to all of us!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Ago372 in Hanford, California said: In May a decision is also going to be made on increasing the amount of cadets from 125 to 237. Good luck to all of us!

Where was this said at? I heard rumors, but nobody had a source.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Ago372 in Hanford, California

6 months ago

Jbone in Sacramento, California said: Where was this said at? I heard rumors, but nobody had a source.

A friend who is a current cadet at the academy.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

sbeth1 in Chino, California

6 months ago

Edward361 in California said: 300 9s left. You'll be called up very soon

Thank you i'm hoping so. Just going to continue being patient.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Ago372 in Hanford, California said: A friend who is a current cadet at the academy.

Interesting. From what people were saying it seems like the dire demand for CO's is gone. I wonder if the push is because of how many cleared candidates they have right now and they are trying to prevent them from expiring. I will take it with a grain a salt, but if it does happen it's very helpful to push another 100 through for us waiting.

Reply - Report abuse

vinjam in Monterey, California

6 months ago

I'm a current CO and graduated in February's academy. I suggest if you have already cleared and listing your institutions that you list 3 or 4 of your preferred prisons and put any as your 4th or 5th if you don't mind going anywhere. Don't be picky you can transfer after 6 to 8 months if there are openings where you want to go. Just get your foot in the door, you can also trade institutions in the academy with someone in your class if they are willing to trade. Another thing don't get all flustered about shooting if you have never shot a glock or mini before, the range masters are some of the best and would prefer to work with someone who has never shot before because they most likely will not have bad habbits that and experienced shooter has. Range is easy and so is the academy. You can email me if you have more detail questions vmar_25@yahoo.com by the way I was one of the older cadets in my class so if I made it you youngsters should have no problems. It's a great experience!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

sd1989 in San diego, California

6 months ago

Hey guys,
i took my oral about 5 weeks ago..anyone know what the proper time line to clear is?

Im a 5, and i was told by my BI that all of us 5's still have a while to go..

It feels good to be done with all the testing and driving up for exams, i hit my 2 year mark this summer.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

sd1989 in San diego, California said: Hey guys,
i took my oral about 5 weeks ago..anyone know what the proper time line to clear is?

Im a 5, and i was told by my BI that all of us 5's still have a while to go..

It feels good to be done with all the testing and driving up for exams, i hit my 2 year mark this summer.

4-6 weeks is normal. There are some exceptions where some have a lengthy history and it takes 2-3 months. Mine cleared in 5 weeks. You should hear back soon.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

sd1989 in San diego, California

6 months ago

Jbone in Sacramento, California said: 4-6 weeks is normal. There are some exceptions where some have a lengthy history and it takes 2-3 months. Mine cleared in 5 weeks. You should hear back soon.

cool! thanks,
do you get notified via email or through actual mail?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

sd1989 in San diego, California said: cool! thanks,
do you get notified via email or through actual mail?

E-mail. From everything I've read anything in the mail is a rejection letter. They bundle your passing medical and psychological together, so if you pass your e-mail will be a notification of clearance. Just as you said, it feels good to be done stressing over the entire process.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Jesus I'm a 5 and hoping for offers by may. I hate my position.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.