CDCR July 2017 Academy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 883)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Summer22 in California

4 months ago

Hello all! I am starting this thread for the July academy for those of us still waiting... Let's hope we get in this time! It's been a loooong wait for most of us!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Dcox075 in Bakersfield, California

4 months ago

Summer22 in California said: Hello all! I am starting this thread for the July academy for those of us still waiting... Let's hope we get in this time! It's been a loooong wait for most of us!

Yes it has been a long wait. Hopefully a July spot has our name on it

Reply - Report abuse

Chris in California

4 months ago

What's up everyone? Can't wait to get an offer! Been such a long wait.

Applied January 2015.
Cleared September 2016.
I was expiring May 31st 2017 but now it's extended to 2018.
Added to the hiring list 3/30/17
Score of 80 with Veterance Preference.

I've been reading through the threads for about a year now. Last update I red there is 490 of us left on this hiring list. 220+ for July academy, let's do this!

Reply - Report abuse

Buzo in Stockton, California

4 months ago

Fingers crossed!

Reply - Report abuse

Buenhec in El Centro, California

4 months ago

Chris,

I tested 07/2015 and just cleared this April 2017. Will I be notified if I am added to a hiring list?? I was also extended to 07/2018. Is that the next step in the process?

I sent in my preferred institutions. Is that what you mean by "added to hiring list?"

Thanks!

Reply - Report abuse

Jbone in Sacramento, California

4 months ago

Buenhec in El Centro, California said: Chris,

I tested 07/2015 and just cleared this April 2017. Will I be notified if I am added to a hiring list?? I was also extended to 07/2018. Is that the next step in the process?

I sent in my preferred institutions. Is that what you mean by "added to hiring list?"

Thanks!

No, sending your preferred institutions is not add you to the hiring list. Every 120 days (their words on the clearance letter) they do a snapshot of everyone that is cleared. That will be the hiring list, so that means anyone who clears after that will have to wait until the next hiring list is made. The last one is made 3/31 which means the next hiring list is projected to be made 7/31. They will email you when you get on the hiring list.

Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

I appreciate the clarification.
Does everyone on the hiring list get hired?.... starting with 9 series, then 5, going from highest score......to lowest??

Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

Buenhec in El Centro, California said: I appreciate the clarification.
Does everyone on the hiring list get hired?.... starting with 9 series, then 5, going from highest score......to lowest??

No, there are some people that never get an offer on a hiring list (due to many factors, low scores, over saturated hiring list, and most importantly preferred institutions). The 9 series is virtually gone, so they won't be much of a factor. As you said highest to lowest, however, a 95 score may never get an offer if they are picky and a 70 scorer may get an offer before them if they have an open list.

Reply - Report abuse

Phillip25 in Fresno, California

4 months ago

When do offers go out?

Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Los Angeles, California

4 months ago

Phillip25 in Fresno, California said: When do offers go out?

Probably at the end of this month

Reply - Report abuse

Oldvolkz61 in Lodi, California

4 months ago

I'm a 9. Applied august 2014. Just redid my medical cause it expired. Now I have to retake my physiological next week cause it's expiring

Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Rosamond, California

4 months ago

Oldvolkz61 in Lodi, California said: I'm a 9. Applied august 2014. Just redid my medical cause it expired. Now I have to retake my physiological next week cause it's expiring

What was your exam score?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

Mike in Rosamond, California said: What was your exam score?

Although you probably know, both you 9's will be in front of all 5's regardless of score.

Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Rosamond, California

4 months ago

Jbone in Sacramento, California said: Although you probably know, both you 9's will be in front of all 5's regardless of score.

Yeah I know I was just asking to see if he had the same score. Jbone are you on the hiring list?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

Yea I am with a measly 75 score. Hopefully I get in the July or August academy before the new hiring list is made.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Dcox075 in Bakersfield, California

4 months ago

Anyone on the march 31 hiring list lookin to go to prisons in the Central Valley?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

Mike in Rosamond, California said: What was your exam score?

A low 75

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Summer22 in Garden Grove, California

4 months ago

Jbone in Sacramento, California said: No, there are some people that never get an offer on a hiring list (due to many factors, low scores, over saturated hiring list, and most importantly preferred institutions). The 9 series is virtually gone, so they won't be much of a factor. As you said highest to lowest, however, a 95 score may never get an offer if they are picky and a 70 scorer may get an offer before them if they have an open list.

Just a little input on this.... If you are a 95, you WILL get an offer but it might not be where you want to go. Even if you only have one institution listed, they will send you an offer for what they have open if it's your turn to get an offer.

Also, with a lower score, you may receive an offer before someone with a higher score if one of your components (ex PEM/POPE) are due to expire soon, or list life can't be extended again).

Reply - Report abuse

ABJAY in Paradise, California

4 months ago

How does that all factor for somebody who scored a 75 and has vets preference? I was a withdraw last year and reapplied this year, I was a 9 series and scored an 85. I should have never withdrawn! I took my CVSA and fingerprints 4/17, now waiting on BI

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Summer22 in California

4 months ago

ABJAY in Paradise, California said: How does that all factor for somebody who scored a 75 and has vets preference? I was a withdraw last year and reapplied this year, I was a 9 series and scored an 85. I should have never withdrawn! I took my CVSA and fingerprints 4/17, now waiting on BI

Well we all shoulda, woulda, coulda...I went all the way up to clearing backgrounds in 2013 and then missed the written psych and got DQ'd for a year for that, I had a 95 score. I didn't know that I could have withdrawn and reapplied the next day. Or rescheduled. I could've been an officer 3 years ago. But here I am still waiting, with an 85 score. Oh well. It happens.

You will most likely move through the process at the same rate as everyone else. Once you receive final clearance and are placed on the hiring list you will be in the first rank (as if your score was 90-95) due to the vets preference. CDCR says that they don't have enough applicants for their expected needs in the near future so you should be fine granted you pass all the components.

Reply - Report abuse

mmlopez in Tulare, California

4 months ago

Yes! I am

Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

Dcox075 in Bakersfield, California said: Anyone on the march 31 hiring list lookin to go to prisons in the Central Valley?

Yes! I am

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Dcox075 in California

4 months ago

mmlopez in Tulare, California said: Yes! I am

What you get?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

Dcox075 in California said: What you get?

I haven't got an offer yet. I applied in August 2015 and just cleared in January. I have a Wardens request for Corcoran

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Dcox075 in California

4 months ago

mmlopez in Tulare, California said: I haven't got an offer yet. I applied in August 2015 and just cleared in January. I have a Wardens request for Corcoran

Gotcha. I applied may 2015 and cleared in January of this year. Corcoran is on of 8 on my list. They say that's a good prison to work at. Good luck

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Sanders7911 in Brookings, Oregon

4 months ago

My husband and I are hoping for an offer to the July academy. He applied June 2015 and cleared January 2017. He was placed on the March 31 hiring list. He scored a 90 and our preferred institutions are pelican bay, susanville and Folsom.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Rafman in Lincoln, California

4 months ago

Hi guys,I have been following these threads for the last 2 years and have found them very helpful. Here is my info:
Applied: May 27th 2015
Written: September 21st 2015 (scored 90%)
Notice of completion: October 28th 2016
Placed on hiring list November 30th 2016 and then again March 30th 2017
Hoping for Folsom or Sacramento but will take anything at this point. Just ready to get started in my new career.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

jaybirt in Chico, California

4 months ago

I see alot of people talking about changing and updating institute choices, how is this done? Thanks

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

hotflash in Lawndale, California

4 months ago

I hope many of you know what you are getting yourselves into.

Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

jaybirt in Chico, California said: I see alot of people talking about changing and updating institute choices, how is this done? Thanks

In your notice of completion email it says to reply to the email to modify your preferred institution list.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

hotflash in Lawndale, California said: I hope many of you know what you are getting yourselves into.

What do you mean?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

hotflash in Lawndale, California said: I hope many of you know what you are getting yourselves into.

Im curious. What do you mean by this?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Summer22 in California

4 months ago

Phillip25 in Fresno, California said: When do offers go out?

Usually about a week before or same week as the next academy

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Summer22 in California

4 months ago

Sorry, I meant to say Usually about a week before or same week as the next academy starts

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

mark23 in Fresno, California

4 months ago

Hello I just wanted to know, I understand after you receive an offer you have few last things to do before you head to the academy, as listed in the email offer. Well I havent received an offer yet but I just wanted to know what are these last steps you need to complete and how much time do they give you to complete these last steps before you head out? Anyone with this info is much appreciated, good luck too all you guys, patience is key.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Summer22 in California

4 months ago

mark23 in Fresno, California said: Hello I just wanted to know, I understand after you receive an offer you have few last things to do before you head to the academy, as listed in the email offer. Well I havent received an offer yet but I just wanted to know what are these last steps you need to complete and how much time do they give you to complete these last steps before you head out? Anyone with this info is much appreciated, good luck too all you guys, patience is key.

You will have to accept the offer then I believe in your confirmation email they will send you the forms or a link to the forms which would be www.cdcr.ca.gov/career_opportunities/por/POASForms.html and www.cdcr.ca.gov/career_opportunities/por/AcademyFormsB2.html . The steps include a Personal History Update, TB testing (no more than 30 days from academy start date), Employment Eligibility Verification form I-9 (a lot of people have trouble opening the link), fill out the cadet registration form, disclose any physician and/or dentist's care (routine dental work does not need to be disclosed) since your Pre-Employment Medical clearance, and there is a cadet handbook with a test that you have to complete. You will also have to buy your uniforms and have the patches sewn on, as well as order PT gear, etc from the academy store before the academy starts. You should be able to find the lists of the gear you need at one of the above links. Hope that helps

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

Summer22 in California said: You will have to accept the offer then I believe in your confirmation email they will send you the forms or a link to the forms which would be www.cdcr.ca.gov/career_opportunities/por/POASForms.html and www.cdcr.ca.gov/career_opportunities/por/AcademyFormsB2.html . The steps include a Personal History Update, TB testing (no more than 30 days from academy start date), Employment Eligibility Verification form I-9 (a lot of people have trouble opening the link), fill out the cadet registration form, disclose any physician and/or dentist's care (routine dental work does not need to be disclosed) since your Pre-Employment Medical clearance, and there is a cadet handbook with a test that you have to complete. You will also have to buy your uniforms and have the patches sewn on, as well as order PT gear, etc from the academy store before the academy starts. You should be able to find the lists of the gear you need at one of the above links. Hope that helps

yes, this does help thanks for the info! Now how much days do they give you to complete everything, is it like the usual 10-15 days or 30 days for everything like you stated for the TB Testing? Just wondering because I will be out of town next month for about 2 weeks with my army reserve unit and just trying to make sure I have adequate amount of time prepared once I get my offer. I am a 5 series still waiting behind the 9s i believe, but with vet preference, and listed about 10 institutions. Thank you for your reply.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Jbone in Folsom, California

4 months ago

mark23 in Fresno, California said: yes, this does help thanks for the info! Now how much days do they give you to complete everything, is it like the usual 10-15 days or 30 days for everything like you stated for the TB Testing? Just wondering because I will be out of town next month for about 2 weeks with my army reserve unit and just trying to make sure I have adequate amount of time prepared once I get my offer. I am a 5 series still waiting behind the 9s i believe, but with vet preference, and listed about 10 institutions. Thank you for your reply.

There are almost no 9's left so you aren't waiting behind them anymore. There will be two more academies out of this hiring list at 220 a pop.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

Jbone in Folsom, California said: There are almost no 9's left so you aren't waiting behind them anymore. There will be two more academies out of this hiring list at 220 a pop.

Thats really good news, didnt know they were increasing class size again, been a long ride and this past month was thinking about updating my preferred institutions to "Any".

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Summer22 in California

4 months ago

mark23 in Fresno, California said: yes, this does help thanks for the info! Now how much days do they give you to complete everything, is it like the usual 10-15 days or 30 days for everything like you stated for the TB Testing? Just wondering because I will be out of town next month for about 2 weeks with my army reserve unit and just trying to make sure I have adequate amount of time prepared once I get my offer. I am a 5 series still waiting behind the 9s i believe, but with vet preference, and listed about 10 institutions. Thank you for your reply.

Offers will probably go out the last week of May or 1st week of June. As far as I understand you will have from then till the date of the academy (July 11th) to get it all done. I think they want it completed at least a week before but will probably accept it up to the start date but don't quote me on that. You can print out all the forms from those links as well as the cadet handbook and fill them all out and take the cadet handbook test, that way you have less to do once you get the offer. Just don't sign and date the forms yet. That would cut down a lot on the stuff you have to do last minute. That would pretty much take care of most of it, you would just have to fax in your PHU, get your TB test done and fax it in, get the uniforms and order your mandatory stuff from the academy store.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Summer22 in California

4 months ago

Don't get the TB test done until it's 30 days or less before the academy starts.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

mark23 in Fresno, California said: Thats really good news, didnt know they were increasing class size again, been a long ride and this past month was thinking about updating my preferred institutions to "Any".

I guarantee if you put any you will be going to the July academy. You are ahead of literally everyone that is not a vet. There was a guy that e-mailed OPOS and they said there was about 490 people left on the hiring list, which means there is going to be very few people that don't make it to the academy on this list. Depending what your 10 preferred institutions are you may not even need to put any though. I mean I did, but I am a 75 score with no veterans preference, so I need all the help I can get.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

Summer22 in California said: Offers will probably go out the last week of May or 1st week of June. As far as I understand you will have from then till the date of the academy (July 11th) to get it all done. I think they want it completed at least a week before but will probably accept it up to the start date but don't quote me on that. You can print out all the forms from those links as well as the cadet handbook and fill them all out and take the cadet handbook test, that way you have less to do once you get the offer. Just don't sign and date the forms yet. That would cut down a lot on the stuff you have to do last minute. That would pretty much take care of most of it, you would just have to fax in your PHU, get your TB test done and fax it in, get the uniforms and order your mandatory stuff from the academy store.

ok sounds good, I have a good amount of time to get everything done then, hey thanks for the info again! As well as for those links! you waiting for an offer as well??

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

Jbone in Sacramento, California said: I guarantee if you put any you will be going to the July academy. You are ahead of literally everyone that is not a vet. There was a guy that e-mailed OPOS and they said there was about 490 people left on the hiring list, which means there is going to be very few people that don't make it to the academy on this list. Depending what your 10 preferred institutions are you may not even need to put any though. I mean I did, but I am a 75 score with no veterans preference, so I need all the help I can get.

wow, thats not that much left, I might be good I listed a few hard to fill institutions (excluding pelican bay and high desert since they are like 9 hours away from me.) so the few people that dont make it would wait to the next academy which is when? Have you been extended?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Jbone in Carmichael, California

4 months ago

mark23 in Fresno, California said: wow, thats not that much left, I might be good I listed a few hard to fill institutions (excluding pelican bay and high desert since they are like 9 hours away from me.) so the few people that dont make it would wait to the next academy which is when? Have you been extended?

The people that don't get offers will have to wait to be placed in the new hiring list. The next academy to get offers is for July 11th, the following will be late August, both will be people on the current hiring list. I am guessing the few people that don't make it to the next two academies are either very picky on their list or dropped out before the academy. Luckily some people drop a few weeks before an academy and OPOS will call cleared candidates if they want go last minute, so chances are high the vast majority of people will get in if they are ready. I got extended another year. I'm very confident I will get an offer for August. I put a blanket "any" on my list, so literally anything unfilled they can use me.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Summer22 in California

4 months ago

mark23 in Fresno, California said: ok sounds good, I have a good amount of time to get everything done then, hey thanks for the info again! As well as for those links! you waiting for an offer as well??

Yes I'm waiting for an offer for a southern institution. I'm a 5 with an 85 score. I am trying to stay close to San Diego, since I'm not able to relocate. Hopefully July will my time. I've been thinking... if it's true that there are only 490 on the list currently, they might actually have to create a new list early; before hiring for August academy, so they have a larger pool of candidates. That is only my opinion but I would think that more than 50 people are going to decline (for one reason or another) over the next 2 academies and they may be out of candidates on the current list.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

Summer22 in California said: Yes I'm waiting for an offer for a southern institution. I'm a 5 with an 85 score. I am trying to stay close to San Diego, since I'm not able to relocate. Hopefully July will my time. I've been thinking... if it's true that there are only 490 on the list currently, they might actually have to create a new list early; before hiring for August academy, so they have a larger pool of candidates. That is only my opinion but I would think that more than 50 people are going to decline (for one reason or another) over the next 2 academies and they may be out of candidates on the current list.

That's literally the only thing I'm worried about. I think it's highly likely more than 50 candidates will decline and they won't want to waste those slots. I really hope if they do pick others out of the hiring list they will give priority to those currently on the hiring list. Once the floodgates open on the new hiring list comes in I am at the bottom of the totem pole with a 75 score.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

I'm a 9

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Summer22 in California

4 months ago

Jbone, when do your medical and psych expire? If you are close to expiration, they will try to send you an offer before they have to redo the components, even if they aren't sending offers to other 75's

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

Summer22 in California said: Jbone, when do your medical and psych expire? If you are close to expiration, they will try to send you an offer before they have to redo the components, even if they aren't sending offers to other 75's

Not that close my PEM expires in Dec and POPE in Jan.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.