CDCR June Acadamy 2011

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 15979)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

RICK in Sacramento, California

45 months ago

PieCOn in Los Alamitos, California said: Does anyone have an idea as to how much running/jogging is expected at the academy?

How far are you in the cdcr selection academy?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

spanky in Fairfield, California

45 months ago

I graduated high school 22 years ago. I wonder if i will have a problem with the academic portion of the testing. Is there anything i can do at home to help me prepare. I really want to pass june academy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RICK in Sacramento, California

45 months ago

spanky in Fairfield, California said: I graduated high school 22 years ago. I wonder if i will have a problem with the academic portion of the testing. Is there anything i can do at home to help me prepare. I really want to pass june academy.

I guess we are in the same boat. I graduated 21 years ago from high school, everybody I asked they say just listen carefully. These younger guys I fee have an advantage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

599 in kern county, California

45 months ago

Spanky and Rick, older cadets do just fine. You might have to work a little bit harder studying(if you have been out of a classroom for some time), and pace yourself physically(if you are out of shape or have old injuries). What you do bring is life experience, maturity, and determination. These traits and skills come with age. You are not competing for a job against your fellow cadets. All of you have passed the selection process and have been offered and accepted a position contingent on passing the Academy and your probationary period. When you get to your institutions and get a little time under your belts your academy days will be a distant memory and the only number that will matter to you is your seniority number.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

determined1 in Visalia, California

45 months ago

599 in kern county, California said: Spanky and Rick, older cadets do just fine. You might have to work a little bit harder studying(if you have been out of a classroom for some time), and pace yourself physically(if you are out of shape or have old injuries). What you do bring is life experience, maturity, and determination. These traits and skills come with age. You are not competing for a job against your fellow cadets. All of you have passed the selection process and have been offered and accepted a position contingent on passing the Academy and your probationary period. When you get to your institutions and get a little time under your belts your academy days will be a distant memory and the only number that will matter to you is your seniority number.

I just wanted to say thank you 599 in Kern County for your positive input and insight. I am also among the ‘mature’ candidates working through the process. I’m female, educated and have been in the workforce for years….but not corrections related at all. I have a positive outlook and hope for the best. I’ve made it this far, so with determination and hard work I think I can make it to the end-all goal as all of us can, regardless of age.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

RICK in Sacramento, California

45 months ago

599 in kern county, California said: Spanky and Rick, older cadets do just fine. You might have to work a little bit harder studying(if you have been out of a classroom for some time), and pace yourself physically(if you are out of shape or have old injuries). What you do bring is life experience, maturity, and determination. These traits and skills come with age. You are not competing for a job against your fellow cadets. All of you have passed the selection process and have been offered and accepted a position contingent on passing the Academy and your probationary period. When you get to your institutions and get a little time under your belts your academy days will be a distant memory and the only number that will matter to you is your seniority number.

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I’m glad to read such a positive message!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Solid559 in Visalia, California

45 months ago

romen in West Sacramento, California said: Solid559 how long have you been waiting?

Too long, seems forever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pie COn in Glendale, California

45 months ago

RICK in Sacramento, California said: How far are you in the cdcr selection academy?

I am on the certification list; waiting to be called for an academy. Thanks for your info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pie COn in Glendale, California

45 months ago

just a general question---why do some of you want to become a c/o?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

l_lopez in Westminster, California

45 months ago

Ive heard from a couple of diffrent people that during your Psych. interview they will dock you points and possibly fail you if you say you drink more than 3-4 beers once a month. Is that true? Has anybody heard that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

spanky in Fairfield, California

45 months ago

In the academy, do you shoot with one eye open or both eyes open?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ike in Tacoma, Washington

45 months ago

From the 7 yards it's both eyes open than from the 15 one eye closed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

spanky in Fairfield, California

45 months ago

With both eyes open, do you look straight and use both eyes or turn your head and use your main eye?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

RICK in Elk Grove, California

45 months ago

Pie COn in Glendale, California said: just a general question---why do some of you want to become a c/o?

I always wanted to be an officer of the law. My life directed me into the legal field, where I've been excelling for 15 years. I still think what could have been. I feel the time is right for me to change careers…

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Crystal in Nipomo, California

45 months ago

Solid559 in Visalia, California said: Anyone else waiting?

Do you know when they will be accepting applications again? And does your credit score disqualify you if you don't have good credit?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

599 in kern county, California

45 months ago

spanky in Fairfield, California said: With both eyes open, do you look straight and use both eyes or turn your head and use your main eye?

You will be taught to shoot with and without(instinctively)using your sights. Im not going to list the specific course of fire(i dont know who is reading this). There are several shooting stances/techniques you will learn(the basics not SWAT/CERT stuff). As for closing your eye when you shoot. One of your eyes will be the more dominant(the one you will keep open) than the other. Usally matches your dominant hand but not always. Don't give yourself extra stress if you have no firearms experience. The instructors will teach you all that you need to know. Remember these weapons are just a few of the tools you will learn to be proficient with. Pay attention to the range staff, relax,and don't be afraid of the firearm. Take control of it and you will do fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ready2go in Westminster, California

45 months ago

Crystal in Nipomo, California said: Do you know when they will be accepting applications again? And does your credit score disqualify you if you don't have good credit?

Not too sure when they will be accepting apps. but I can tell you that I filled BK appx. 2 years ago and it has not affected my background one bit, you need to be able to explain the reason why you fell behind on your bills and what you are doing now to correct the situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Crystal in Nipomo, California

45 months ago

ready2go in Westminster, California said: Not too sure when they will be accepting apps. but I can tell you that I filled BK appx. 2 years ago and it has not affected my background one bit, you need to be able to explain the reason why you fell behind on your bills and what you are doing now to correct the situation.

Thanks a lot. I check everyday but it still says not accepting applications =(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

romen in West Sacramento, California

45 months ago

Waiting in visalia. June should come quick so if anybody good to go be ready it comes faster then u think. Anybody else just waiting for the email? Also tell me that whole process test, phs etc... seems like it takes forever. Is there anybody else waiting in tulare county.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

determined1 in Fresno, California

45 months ago

romen in West Sacramento, California said: Waiting in visalia. June should come quick so if anybody good to go be ready it comes faster then u think. Anybody else just waiting for the email? Also tell me that whole process test, phs etc... seems like it takes forever. Is there anybody else waiting in tulare county.

I am in Tulare County and waiting, however I am still in the latter part of background.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PieCon in Los Alamitos, California

45 months ago

yes still waiting....I spoke to HR at CDCR and let me know that notices are not sent out until 4-5 weeks prior to the academy date posted. I doubt we are going to get a notice until the end of may.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

spanky in Fairfield, California

45 months ago

I was cleared hire on march 2nd of this year. I have a SCW score of 80. I wonder if i have a good chance of making it to the june academy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Veteran 2006 in Covina, California

45 months ago

spanky in Fairfield, California said: I was cleared hire on march 2nd of this year. I have a SCW score of 80. I wonder if i have a good chance of making it to the june academy.

Hey Spanky how long did your background take? Did your B.I. contact you during your process?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

patiently waiting

45 months ago

Veteran 2006 in Covina, California said: Hey Spanky how long did your background take? Did your B.I. contact you during your process?

Hey veteran 2006. My background started at the end of jan and just cleared last week. I took my test in dec. And did PAT at beginning of jan. My B.I. Asked for me for proof of my traffic school and W2's. We emailed mostly. Waiting for them to contact me to schedule psych eval and physical. Praying for june academy. Hope this helps. Hang in there. Stay patient

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Veteran 2006

45 months ago

patiently waiting said: Hey veteran 2006. My background started at the end of jan and just cleared last week. I took my test in dec. And did PAT at beginning of jan. My B.I. Asked for me for proof of my traffic school and W2's. We emailed mostly. Waiting for them to contact me to schedule psych eval and physical. Praying for june academy. Hope this helps. Hang in there. Stay patient

Hey thanx. I took my test in november. Been in backgrounds a little over 2 months but haven't heard anything yet. References filled out letters and sent them back. Do they get contacted after that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

spanky in Fairfield, California

45 months ago

Veteran 2006 in Covina, California said: Hey Spanky how long did your background take? Did your B.I. contact you during your process?

My backgrounds took 4 months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

spanky in Fairfield, California

45 months ago

spanky in Fairfield, California said: I was cleared hire on march 2nd of this year. I have a SCW score of 80. I wonder if i have a good chance of making it to the june academy.

I also put down that i will work anywhere in california. So i hope that will increase my chances for the june academy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Central Cal in Visalia, California

44 months ago

I am wondering how reasonable it is travel home on the weekends if you are living on the academy grounds during the 16 week training? I live a couple hours from the site. I would imagine the weekends are consumed with some studying, but if anyone knows how people handle this aspect(going home on the weekend)of it I would be curious to know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Solid559 in Visalia, California

44 months ago

Central Cal in Visalia, California said: I am wondering how reasonable it is travel home on the weekends if you are living on the academy grounds during the 16 week training? I live a couple hours from the site. I would imagine the weekends are consumed with some studying, but if anyone knows how people handle this aspect(going home on the weekend)of it I would be curious to know.

All the people I know that went to the Acadamy drove home every weekend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

RICK in Elk Grove, California

44 months ago

Has anybody heard any news about attending the June Academy?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

romen in West Sacramento, California

44 months ago

Cdc well be sending out emails around may. Question does anyone know about how much money you will spend with everything gear, clothing, etc... also anyone nervous about leaving there current job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RICK in Elk Grove, California

44 months ago

romen in West Sacramento, California said: Cdc well be sending out emails around may. Question does anyone know about how much money you will spend with everything gear, clothing, etc... also anyone nervous about leaving there current job?

I'm nervous. I've been there for 15 years...once I leave they are planning on closing my position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

determined1 in Fresno, California

44 months ago

romen in West Sacramento, California said: Cdc well be sending out emails around may. Question does anyone know about how much money you will spend with everything gear, clothing, etc... also anyone nervous about leaving there current job?

I remember reading on the forum for the March academy that some spent around $900-$1200. Maybe it varies depending on where you purchase the supplies and/or what you purchase quality wise (ie: boots, etc.).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

patiently waiting

44 months ago

Yeah I heard similar- about 1k or less. If given a CO- I have been thinking of not giving a notice to my work. I have always given my 2 week or more notice. However, I have seen so many blogs where academy's have been canceled last minute. Then..you're out of a job and income. In this economy, that's scary. Especially because when u start the academy, u don't get paid til the end of the month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

determined1 in Fresno, California

44 months ago

patiently waiting said: Yeah I heard similar- about 1k or less. If given a CO- I have been thinking of not giving a notice to my work. I have always given my 2 week or more notice. However, I have seen so many blogs where academy's have been canceled last minute. Then..you're out of a job and income. In this economy, that's scary. Especially because when u start the academy, u don't get paid til the end of the month.

Yes, in this economy it is a little scary. It also is a little perplexing to know how a current employer will accept the fact you are looking for alternate employment. When they do the background and begin checking your past and present employers, kind of concerns me. Just because all the employers we have had or have now give us a glowing review doesn't mean we have a job lined up with with CDCR. I hope my boss is understanding, that is all I have to say.

But, life is about taking reasonable chances that your choices are the right ones. If you want something you have to try for it. There are always going to be pro's and con's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ndjjw in La Crescenta, California

44 months ago

I'm in week 14 of the bcoa class 2-11. Don't stress the academy it's easy. You will have no problems if you just pay attention. 16 days left!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ready2go in Westminster, California

44 months ago

Has anybody else heard a rumor of a possible academy in October?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

a vet in Irvine, California

44 months ago

ready2go in Westminster, California said: Has anybody else heard a rumor of a possible academy in October?

Hey ready2go I have not heard or seen anything on here or the Departments website. I have been checking daily for updates on new Academy dates. Where are you in the process?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

RICK in Sacramento, California

44 months ago

Ndjjw in La Crescenta, California said: I'm in week 14 of the bcoa class 2-11. Don't stress the academy it's easy. You will have no problems if you just pay attention. 16 days left!!!

Thanks for the status update! Keep us posted on your graduation!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ready2go in Westminster, California

44 months ago

a vet in Irvine, California said: Hey ready2go I have not heard or seen anything on here or the Departments website. I have been checking daily for updates on new Academy dates. Where are you in the process?

I heard it from a couple guys at the written test, according to them they heard it from current CO's. We will have to wait and see, i am crossing my fingers that it is true. I am currently a few weeks in to backgrounds so June is definitely out of the question for me. You?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

a vet in Irvine, California

44 months ago

ready2go in Westminster, California said: I heard it from a couple guys at the written test, according to them they heard it from current CO's. We will have to wait and see, i am crossing my fingers that it is true. I am currently a few weeks in to backgrounds so June is definitely out of the question for me. You?

Yes, I am also looking towards an Academy date past June. I hear that Unit 6 has the contract back. I am a month into backgrounds. Just hang in there and remeber no news is good news.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

romen in West Sacramento, California

44 months ago

Congrats on almost being done. Is everything easy school wise?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Waiting patiently

44 months ago

ready2go in Westminster, California said: I heard it from a couple guys at the written test, according to them they heard it from current CO's. We will have to wait and see, i am crossing my fingers that it is true. I am currently a few weeks in to backgrounds so June is definitely out of the question for me. You?

Hey there how is everyone? I have been in backgrounds a little over two months and haven't heard yet. Is it true that it takes longer for people military background? What's the average wait for someone background? Are you ex-military ready2go?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

PieCon in Los Alamitos, California

44 months ago

It took me literally 5 months-ARGH!...it varies per person. IT depends how much background they need to investigate (age, employment history, residence history, etc), how fast of response they receive from inquires on you, how thorough and precise was the PSH, and, most importantly, how a busy or priority is cdcr hiring process. Your investigator could be caught up on a re-assignment. Be patient....the process takes time. Plus, my Investigator mentioned that only 1 percent of 10,000 applicants actually get hired! So, you are almost there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

a vet in Irvine, California

44 months ago

Waiting patiently said: Hey there how is everyone? I have been in backgrounds a little over two months and haven't heard yet. Is it true that it takes longer for people military background? What's the average wait for someone background? Are you ex-military ready2go?

Hello Waiting patiently,

I have a military background and from what I hear the answer is yes it will take a little longer for the background, and as PieCon stated "IT depends how much background they need to investigate (age, employment history, residence history, etc), how fast of response they receive from inquires on you, how thorough and precise was the PSH, and, most importantly, how a busy or priority is cdcr hiring process"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

patiently waiting

44 months ago

PieCon in Los Alamitos, California said: It took me literally 5 months-ARGH!...it varies per person. IT depends how much background they need to investigate (age, employment history, residence history, etc), how fast of response they receive from inquires on you, how thorough and precise was the PSH, and, most importantly, how a busy or priority is cdcr hiring process. Your investigator could be caught up on a re-assignment. Be patient....the process takes time. Plus, my Investigator mentioned that only 1 percent of 10,000 applicants actually get hired! So, you are almost there!

Only 1 percent! That's crazy--my self confidence is diminishing :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Waiting patiently

44 months ago

Hopefully they have an academy in october like someone mentioned because I sm not going to make it to the June . A vet what branch? You did your CDCR paper work out of rancho?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike87

44 months ago

PieCon in Los Alamitos, California said: It took me literally 5 months-ARGH!...it varies per person. IT depends how much background they need to investigate (age, employment history, residence history, etc), how fast of response they receive from inquires on you, how thorough and precise was the PSH, and, most importantly, how a busy or priority is cdcr hiring process. Your investigator could be caught up on a re-assignment. Be patient....the process takes time. Plus, my Investigator mentioned that only 1 percent of 10,000 applicants actually get hired! So, you are almost there!

I feel you. We're on the same boat. And to answer the question of how long background take for military experience? Yes, it took me roughly 5 1/2 months to cleared background because of military experience and the basic police acdemy I attended 2 years ago. Because of background taking longer then I thought it would be, I didn't make it for March academy. But I'm happy I was cleared for hired and waiting patiently for June 27th....crossing my finger that cdcr won't postphone it!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

a vet in Irvine, California

44 months ago

Waiting patiently said: Hopefully they have an academy in october like someone mentioned because I sm not going to make it to the June . A vet what branch? You did your CDCR paper work out of rancho?

United States Marine Corps. Yes are you at the same center?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

PieCon in Los Alamitos, California

44 months ago

DId anyone else apply for the YCO/YCC position? Any word on that academy?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.