Have ne questions, feel free to ask. I've been CO for cdcr for three years now.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (46)

Dukeb15 in Los Angeles, California

42 months ago

Hey, I don't know if my experience could help. I'm a CO out here in California. One piece of advice would be if you don't know the answer to a question from an inmate always say "no."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mike Pretto in Bakersfield, California

42 months ago

Hi Dukeb15, I am currently in the process, I have my PAT on the 9th of March and I was wondering about the credit report that I need to turn in. Do they just need the entire credit report and the credit score or just the entire credit report. I went to freecreditreport.com and they only give me my credit report but without the score. I'm I ok with just the credit report? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Veteran 2006 in West Covina, California

42 months ago

Dukeb15 in Fontana, California said: Reading all of your guys comments, brings back memories when I went thru the process. Feel free to ask ne questions.

Hi there how are you? what facility do you work at right now? I am currently in the process. How long does the background last? If I havent heard anything is that a good thing or bad thing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gracie Fighter 209 in Stockton, California

42 months ago

I'm bein hired on as a PI "permanent intermittent". Does that mean I only get limited hours and only getting paid Hourly not salary?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dukeb15 in Whittier, California

42 months ago

Mike Pretto in Bakersfield, California said: Hi Dukeb15, I am currently in the process, I have my PAT on the 9th of March and I was wondering about the credit report that I need to turn in. Do they just

When I went thru the process I'm pretty sure I didn't turn in a credit score. The process was different back then, they were trying hire bunch of people cause they were so understaff. And now there being more picky. Call the central section center and ask.

42 months ago

Gracie Fighter 209 in Stockton, California said: I'm bein hired on as a PI "permanent intermittent". Does that mean I only get limited hours and only getting paid Hourly not salary?

From my understanding every prison is understaff right now. So you will get your hours every month. Your salary will not be affected. The only thing with being a PIE you can't work overtime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Veteran 2006 in West Covina, California said: Hi there how are you? what facility do you work at right now? I am currently in the process. How long does the background last? If I havent heard anything is that a good thing or bad thing?

I currently work at CRC Norco. All background variety. My background took bout two months. It's true no news is good news. I

42 months ago

Veteran 2006 in West Covina, California said: Hi there how are you? what facility do you work at right now? I am currently in the process.

One thing you could do is call the 1800 number and ask them to check your status. I called a couple of times and they told me if my background had it even started, would tell me my medical results before waiting for the mail.

Veteran 2006 in Pasadena, California

42 months ago

Dukeb15 in Whittier, California said:

Thanx. I had another question. Roughly how much does a CO make after 3 years? I have heard many rumors.

Dukeb15 in Fontana, California

42 months ago

Veteran 2006 in Pasadena, California said: Thanx. I had another question. Roughly how much does a CO make after 3 years? I have heard many rumors.

It all depends on how much overtime you do a month. This past year I did 80 hrs of overtime every month( we have 80 hr overtime cap we can do each month). And I made 85, 000 this year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

curious26 in napa, California

42 months ago

Dukeb15 in Fontana, California said: Reading all of your guys comments, brings back memories when I went thru the process. Feel free to ask ne questions.

i have a few questions in regards to the academy... do you have an email address i can email you at?

curious26 in napa, California

42 months ago

so they say not to wear form fitting clothing... can you give ideas of what females wear when not in uniform?? and besides all the equipment we need... what can we bring our personal belongings in?

invader in Elk Grove, California

42 months ago

Two more weeks!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

saw in Riverdale, California

42 months ago

If they are gonna dq you for a driving record would they do it in the beginning or will they wait until the end of the investigation?

Veteran 2006 in Los Angeles, California

42 months ago

If your credit is not that great would they still conduct my background investigation?

saw in Riverdale, California

42 months ago

Veteran 2006 in Los Angeles, California said: If your credit is not that great would they still conduct my background investigation?

I believe they will in case the good in your background out weighs the bad. because I and they both know that my driving is very questionable and they are still going through the background.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

AR_33 in Encinitas, California

41 months ago

My next step is the pre-investigatory interview and I was reading on cdcr.gov and it says if you live more then 50 miles away the interview will be done by phone is that the case or will I have to drive up there anyway?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SDE in San Diego, California

41 months ago

Gracie Fighter 209 in Stockton, California said: I'm bein hired on as a PI "permanent intermittent". Does that mean I only get limited hours and only getting paid Hourly not salary?

Check the Peace Officer Appointment Consideration form...at the bottom of page 2 under Appointment Options:
"2. PERMANENT INTERMITTENT APPOINTMENTS (PI)
If you accept an appointment as a PI, you will be paid at an hourly rate on or about the 15th of the month. You will not be allowed to work in excess of 2,000 hours per calendar year (January 1 – December 31).
It is the Department’s goal to work PIs at least 100 hours per month. Typically, you will be utilized to cover vacancies instead of working permanent full-time staff on an overtime basis, and to supplement the staff in handling unexpected peaks in workloads. As a result, you cannot be guaranteed a specific number of work hours. The institution where you will work will utilize you on an on-call basis. Therefore, before you accept an offer, it is recommended that you contact the institutions you may be considering to discuss the number of hours they are currently working their PIs."

Here's the link...There's a lot of useful information on here.
www.cdcr.ca.gov/Career_Opportunities/POR/docs/COAppt.pdf

But yes, that does mean you are paid at an hourly rate rather than a salary.

Hope this helps.

CDCR Lieutenant in Elk Grove, California

36 months ago

Veteran 2006 in Pasadena, California said: Thanx. I had another question. Roughly how much does a CO make after 3 years? I have heard many rumors.

Veteran 2006: At about 3 years of service you should be right around $5000-$5200 per month, depending on if you qualify for the physical fitness & education pay incentives. This is assuming you receive all of your merit salary adjustments (MSA) (pay raises) on time. The only way you would not receive them is if a supervisor issues a recommendation to deny your MSA based on poor performance, or if you are out of work due to a non-work related occurrance, which will affect your service credit points earnings.

petey619 in Pomona, California

35 months ago

Hi!
I'm undergoing the background check for the Salinas Valley Psych Program as an MTA.
I have heard a rumor that they might bring back the MTA position system wide (they only have them at Salinas and Vacaville) I would love to work closer to home, anywhere in So. California. Have you heard anything? Thanks for your help!

CO waiting in Bakersfield, California

31 months ago

Hi Does NE one knows when the next academy will be?

Upset co in Cliffside Park, New Jersey

26 months ago

Hey I went through the nys for 3 weeks I got sent home because I didn't pass weapons testing I'm going to try to reinstate do I know what my chances might be of I join a gain range club and get certified

jorge in Salinas, California

3 months ago

hello everyone, I have a question....does any one in this forum have the same problem as i do. I have a color vision deficiency, and i was wondering if thats something that will disqualified me from the whole process. I just took my written PSYCH Yedterday. so if anyone knows anything about this or know someone in CDCR with this issue please let me know as i have lost all hopes. thanks

Erica in Huntington Beach, California

3 months ago

Dukeb15 in Whittier, California said: I currently work at CRC Norco. All background variety. My background took bout two months. It's true no news is good news. I

@dukeb15 Do you know if their are openings at your facility or any other Southern Cali facilities?

Ada in Fresno, California

2 months ago

Hi,
I am a march 2013 applicant and i just got my clearance in the last week of may 2014. I dont know whats next now, whether i get an offer first from the prisons before i get an academy date or vice versa. Also, how long is the wait period after clearance before getting an offer of employment from a prison. i got offers from crescent city and susanville right after my oral psych then, but i turned it down because of the distance. i will appreciate your response. Thank you

PEM in Clovis, California

2 months ago

I'm in the same situation as you. I cleared on May 28th and have not received an offer or an academy date.

ada in Los Angeles, California

2 months ago

Yes exactly I got the clearance 5/28. Do you have any idea how long the wait can be before being offered a position ?

2 months ago

I have no idea, but I hope it's soon.

ada in California

2 months ago

I just got an offer in the email for crescent city, susanville and Corcoran. I think I'm gonna accept Corcoran

2 months ago

Got the same offer this morning. Except for Corcoran. I got offered and accepted avenal state prison.

Ladyinwaiting in Hawthorne, California

2 months ago

Hello I have question in regards to the physical test, im taking mine on the June 18th at the So Cal location. Can someone tell me what to expect? I took it back in 2005 and it is nothing like what i did in sacramento which i passed that time. Im a small frame and worried about the dumbells. Did anyone take theres in So cal and if so can you tell me what to expect

gordo1682 in El Centro, California

2 months ago

Ladyinwaiting in Hawthorne, California said: Hello I have question in regards to the physical test, im taking mine on the June 18th at the So Cal location. Can someone tell me what to expect? I took it back in 2005 and it is nothing like what i did in sacramento which i passed that time. Im a small frame and worried about the dumbells. Did anyone take theres in So cal and if so can you tell me what to expect

a flight of stairs to start, then a small obstacle course(step ups they use in aerobic classes) and dumbells. i can recommend that start walking around with heavy objects..get your legs to move around some heavy weight so you dont cramp up the day of the physical. good luck!

Ada in Fresno, California

2 months ago

have you gotten any response via email since you accepted the offer @ Avenal. lest i forget, congratulations

2 months ago

No I have not received conformation letter. And u?

Ryan in Modesto, California

2 months ago

I would be interested to know if there's any helpful tips on how one should prepare for the academy.

Veracity

2 months ago

Does anybody know if testosterone levels are checked during the PEM blood panel? Also, is this something that is checked by the drug test?

Jdp85 in Anaheimw, California

1 month ago

I haven't started the app process yet, I got a DUI in 2010 and that makes a total of three since 2004. I served 6years usmc reserve with once deployment, and honorable discharge. I've been in a special veteran court for my last DUI, therapy groups and loads of rehabilitation. I graduate from the court this month. They are looking into sealing my case to help me get into corrections. I have not so good credit but I've been working on it. It sounds like a lot of baggage but is there a chance I can make it past backgrounds? Any advice or anything would be great

Ladyinwaiting6 in Hawthorne, California

1 month ago

Jdp85 in Anaheimw, California said: I haven't started the app process yet, I got a DUI in 2010 and that makes a total of three since 2004. I served 6years usmc reserve with once deployment, and honorable discharge. I've been in a special veteran court for my last DUI, therapy groups and loads of rehabilitation. I graduate from the court this month. They are looking into sealing my case to help me get into corrections. I have not so good credit but I've been working on it. It sounds like a lot of baggage but is there a chance I can make it past backgr
ounds? Any advice or anything would be great

I say apply and just be completely honest. This background is a long process as you go through you have time to get things in order as you are currently doing. But I encourage you to apply and be honest. Needless to say all they can do is say no. I have baggage credit issues amongst other things but I feel like I have a shot and I'm going to try until they say yes or no. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP THE FAITH UP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Veracity

1 month ago

Nope. They didn't pass me through backgrounds for only having deuce seven years ago and experimenting with a few drugs back in high school , 14 years ago. Sorry bud, but you're f***ed.

Veracity

1 month ago

Thanks for the response on my last post by the way. I am on TRT and wanted to know if that was something they would check. You're real helpful around here.

1 month ago

Veracity said: Nope. They didn't pass me through backgrounds for only having deuce seven years ago and experimenting with a few drugs back in high school , 14 years ago. Sorry bud, but you're f***ed.

When did they tell you doing the process you didn't pass? What is Deuce 7 years ago DUI? Did they say if you can apply again?

Veracity

1 month ago

Yes, I mean DUI . I was honest and gave them all my info and my BI waited until almost 90 days to tell me I didn't pass instead of just telling me upfront. They wasted my time and theirs. Don't waste your time man.

1 month ago

Veracity said: Yes, I mean DUI . I was honest and gave them all my info and my BI waited until almost 90 days to tell me I didn't pass instead of just telling me upfront. They wasted my time and theirs. Don't waste your time man.

Oh no that is horrible had you done the medical and psyche already? I thought you can be eligible if you had 4 years after the DUI right? I thought I read that maybe you have grounds for an appeal.

JangoKB in Vacaville, California

1 month ago

Hey I was just wondering how things work after your done with the academy? Living wise and moving to the location I'll be working at?

CO2 in Lodi, California

1 month ago

Dukeb15 in Los Angeles, California said: Hey, I don't know if my experience could help. I'm a CO out here in California. One piece of advice would be if you don't know the answer to a question from an inmate always say "no."

Hey I was wondering if you know which prisons to stay away from. I've been told to stay away from Tracy and Stockton. Do you know anything about these prisons?

JA Ruiz in Imperial, California

13 days ago

I have a question, will i lose weight during the academy? I am not overweigh but i would like to know if physical training will make me lose a few pounds, i am 5'11 180lbs and would like to lose 10-15 pounds

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.