NY Correctional Academy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 32420)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

wondering in Fredonia, New York

80 months ago

still waiting in Rochester, New York said: just got the call yesterday.
i start the academy on may 24th.
thats for the state corrections not new york city.

finally after 3 years of waiting.

How long after your physical and psych eval was this? Just wondering how long we have left to wait. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Bronx, New York

80 months ago

That's great news!!! Guess I only have 1 year left

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Angel921 in Yonkers, New York

80 months ago

Good news!! I guess ur not "still waiting" anymore lol

I really hope ill be called for one of the next up n coming classes...

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

still waiting in Rochester, New York

80 months ago

wondering in fredonia:
i took my physical on may 21 2008.
i took my psych on may 31 2008.

so ive been waiting 2 years to hear something.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Mini me in Brooklyn, New York

80 months ago

@Still waiting... Im very happy for you.. good luck..

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Nikkilava in Alden, New York

80 months ago

You guys keep saying you got "the call" but i thought they did everything by mail??? At least that's what i was told by Investigations...

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

if you are talking about the state corrections job and not the city job, then they will call you when your name comes up on the list to go to the academy.
because they want verbal confermation that you are still interested, then they will send you a packet in the mail telling you what to bring, and a acceptance letter that you have to sin and fax back to them.

Reply - Report abuse

CO335 in Syracuse, New York

80 months ago

I'm gonna give everyone some advice on this forum. The process for NYDOC is ridiculously slow. I know, I been through the processing, the academy, and was a CO for two years. I resigned from the State and now with a much better agency. If you guys have any questions, I will gladly answer them for you. I was asking the same questions a few years ago. I will tell you the academy is a breeze and you should not worry one bit!!! Its actually too easy and definitley should be amped up. I hope to hear from you guys soon.

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

still waiting in Rochester, New York said: if you are talking about the state corrections job and not the city job, then they will call you when your name comes up on the list to go to the academy.
because they want verbal confermation that you are still interested, then they will send you a packet in the mail telling you what to bring, and a acceptance letter that you have to sin and fax back to them.

Is anyone else on List 24825 that hasnt gotten called yet?

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

i was on list 24825.
they only started drawing from it in january.
but really started drawing from it heavily in march.
looking at it seems to be that they aren't drawing from the previous list anymore and they haven't started drawing from any test (or lists) that were after the october 2007 test.
if you are on 24825 keep waiting its just a luck of the draw now.
it depends on what you got for a score also, they started with the top scores first, then worked there way into the 90's, then the 85's.
i got an 80 on my exam and they just called me yesterday.
so if you have an 80 or above they could call anytime.
if you got below an 80 im not sure where the are on the list and they may not have gotten down to the 75's and 70's yet. but just keep waiting.

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Hey, thanks, that is very encouraging. They can't possibly call all 3,000 people on list 24825 though right? My husband got an 83 but im assuming they rounded down to an 80. Seems like even people in the 90's and 95's havent been called yet...i wonder how they "pick" who they are calling??

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Will in Poughkeepsie, New York in Apo

80 months ago

I took the test in Oct. of 07 and just got scheduled an interview for the past Feb (09) but I am currently deployed with my Military unit and won't be back until June hopefully they can get me in to interview ASAP! Anyone knows how this would work for me am I on a seperate list or something?

Reply - Report abuse

cgaz23 in Brooklyn, New York

80 months ago

Hello everyone , this is my first entry on this blog . I'm also waiting on the call from my investigator . I took test # 24825 in oct. 07 scored a 75 , i went through all the steps already .
medical/agility -2-4-10
written psych- 2-21-10
oral psych- 3-18-10
If anyone has any info on upcoming class please post . Thanks and good luck to everyone going in .....

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

cgaz23 in Brooklyn, New York said: Hello everyone , this is my first entry on this blog . I'm also waiting on the call from my investigator . I took test # 24825 in oct. 07 scored a 75 , i went through all the steps already .
medical/agility -2-4-10
written psych- 2-21-10
oral psych- 3-18-10
If anyone has any info on upcoming class please post . Thanks and good luck to everyone going in .....

Its crazy how we took our tests a whole year apart and were moving at the same speed. I took mine in Oct 2008. Also scored a 75. But I took the spanish/english exam.

Medical/agility March 1, 2010.
psych test April 10, 2010
oral psych April 25, 2010.

Now Im just waiting like you. Was told i should hear from someone within 2 weeks to 2 months following the psych oral.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

TROD in Brooklyn, New York

80 months ago

OK I did my oral Saturday.. it was the same doctor that failed me 10 years ago lol.. we regonized each other right away lol.. im confident that it went well.. actually a lot better than 10 yrs ago.. all he said was that the hiring freeze is over a big group is about to retire and the those gates need to get filled.. but do not quit your job because he has no idea how they are picking recruits... it takes a while for psych results so just follow all instructions as per investigators and hope for the best.. so its a wrap.. the clock begins tick tock.. waitin game!!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Congrats Trod!!
Its good to hear it went well.
Now u and I are in the same boat... WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!
All this waiting gets me more and more anxious EVERYDAY! lol

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

jslavick in Skaneateles Falls, New York

80 months ago

Ok, so I had my oral psych this past Saturday. I really couldn't read him well, but we had some good conversation, in which he laughed at some things. He seemed very easy going. He said that if I didn't hear anything in the next month or two, to call my investigator. He pretty much asked things about my history, nothing really "psychological." When we were done, he said it was a pleasure to meet me, was it. Any idea as to what the average wait time is, or any othere words of wisdom, besides wait? Please fill me in.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

trod in Brooklyn, New York

80 months ago

Angel im not anxious at all.. gettin on a job like this is very unpredictable and take a lot of time.. i will put my energy else where... but when i and if i do get that call.. ill be very happy.. other than that at this point.. ill do as the doctor said..go on with everyday life.. hope for a call thats it.. i like what i do now but i would want to move upstate..

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

I hear ya Trod. Im just anxious cuz I really want this. Dont get me wrong Im not surrounding every minute of my life around that call, but when and if it does happen Im gonna be real happy. We all gotta continue to live our lives...can u imagine how out of shape we all would be if we just sat around and did NOTHING while waiting for them to call us.. lol good luck to u tho...

Reply - Report abuse

JOHN DOE in Peru, New York

80 months ago

WAITING TO GET IN TO CORRECTIONS, DURING THE PSYCH, DO I SAY THAT I HAVE TRIED POT WHEN I WAS A TEEN?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

How long were you guys in the room when taking your oral psych , I was in the room for no more than 15 minutes .

Reply - Report abuse

pk2010 in Poughkeepsie, New York

80 months ago

cgaz23 in Brooklyn, New York said: How long were you guys in the room when taking your oral psych , I was in the room for no more than 15 minutes .

I thought I was the only one :) LOL

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

cgaz23 - I was in for about 30 minutes, maybe less, didn't really keep track of time. It seemed like it went quick though. Is this bad? Who did you see? Did you go to Rochester? Let me know.

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

I went to the nyc location on 125th street , Someone told me that it should take no more than 15 minutes in that office . So i just wanted to see if anyone else was in there for 15 minutes or more ..

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

@cgaz.. i was in there 40 minutes... so i wouldnt predict no time.. and i waited 45 minutes in a conference room before he called me in.

John Doe.. they will ask if you ever in ur life tried.. and will look you in the face.. me personally i would say yes.. keep as real as possible.. i never tried weed in my life and he didnt believe me.. lol. say yes followed with an explaination as to way you tried it ~ curious, young and stupid.. etc...

Angel 10 years ago i felt the same way.. and when i got the failed letter it was very upsetting.. i would have a back up plan if i was you.. God forbid you fail.. trust me the disappointment will be on real heavy.. so get a back up plan to make you feel better if that ends up being the case.. very unpredictable.. GOOOOOOD LUCKKKKKK..

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Mini me why did you fail?

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Angel i wasent told why.. but i did appeal and about 2 months later i recieved a letter sayin i failed the appeal as well.. but when i went to my one on one last week he told me that someone made a mistake.. i passed the appeals with a much higher score.. so its very disappointing that i lost 10 years my heart dropped... very disappointing.... so i hope this time around i did well.. that is why i tell you expect the worst and hopefully you get good news instead.... you just dont know with this type of process..

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Mini me I definitely have a back up. I just feel confident thats all. I spoke with my BI today and she told me all their waiting on is the Psych results, which I guess means I passed the background. If for some reason this doesn't go my way, then I gotta pick up the pieces and try again. Its life, not everything works out in your favor (too bad huh?) lol Im surprised they didnt give you a reason why you failed, I was told they have to. Im just thinking positive, thats all I can really do at this time...

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Angel... they dont have to tell you (it is not mandatory that they tell you).. but you can request it and it must be done thru appeals or lawyer.. i never asked.. im just glad to know that back then i did pass the appeal.. so my record is clean..

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Ohh ok gotcha. Well best of luck to you Mini... hopefully this time it goes your way

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

I told the psychologist that I do not drink, smoke, or have ever done any kind of drugs. The key thing to remember is that you need to explain everything. I told him that I didn't because it is just something that I do not do, it's not my thing, or me. He said he understood. I believe that separtates being believable and not. The whole point of that meeting is to see what's in your head, and not solely what's on paper. Simple yes and no answers can be suspect. And the question I have is ,... what you have had to say to make them think you were too aggressive? I read that statement in an earlier post...

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

jslavick.. but i passed the appeals.. the appeal u face a board of 3 men.. and the questions were brutal.. so if one man finds me aggressive why cant 3 lol.. and he told me they scored you MUCHHH higher... i think i was a bit defensive to his questions thats all.. i was more into woman power back than than i am now.. back then i was like woman can do anything better now then men. now i can give a .... lol..

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Mini me - Oh I see. That makes sense. We all have or had or vises. I'm thinking that (as I said earlier) the oral interview was to see what kind of person you are, not just on paper. So explaining things probably would help, I did, and he said it was understandable. I thought that he might have tought something was wrong, since I haven't been in trouble, etc. I pray that I passed the psych, I feel it wenr went well. He smiled alot and asked alot of questions about my current job. He said if I didn't hear within 1 to two months to call my investigator. At this point no word from my investigator, other that when I've called him to ask a question. Your thoughts?

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

I would wait 2 months before i call my investigator.. i took my psych for city in January and the decision was made last week.. it does take some time.. i say no word is good news.. i havent received a letter from city as yet... the positive part is that state is calling unlike city.. i was told today city will not call until 2011.. I will just ride it out and when you least expect it your phone will ring.. i tell u what if you get a certified letter from state.. thats a fail letter.. thats how it happened for me.. i spoke to ppl who passed and their letter was not certified..

Reply - Report abuse

jslavick in Cortland, New York

80 months ago

Mini me in Brooklyn, New York said: I would wait 2 months before i call my investigator.. i took my psych for city in January and the decision was made last week.. it does take some time.. i say no word is good news.. i havent received a letter from city as yet... the positive part is that state is calling unlike city.. i was told today city will not call until 2011.. I will just ride it out and when you least expect it your phone will ring.. i tell u what if you get a certified letter from state.. thats a fail letter.. thats how it happened for me.. i spoke to ppl who passed and their letter was not certified..

Thanks for the info. Let's hope I get the good letter. I appreciate the words of wisdom.

Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Does anyone have any idea on haw many more classes are going in this year in heard about the may 9th and may 24th classes , But does anyone know of the next ones....

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

mbarclay in Canton, New York

79 months ago

I took the first test in october of 2007 and had my physical/background chenck in january 2010 and the phyc test in february 2010 and the 1 on 1 with the phycologist the first week of march. I havent heard a thing yet which im hopeing is a good thing. Three weeks ago my supervisor called me in and said they had called him for a background check(current job) Anyone think I could get a call soon?

Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

@still waiting - How long after you took your one on one did they call you for the academy ?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

almost 2 years
my one on one was in july 2008.
hope that doesn't bum you out to hear that bit of news.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

that is for the state job. not the city job.
not sure which one your talking about.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

@ Still waiting
I definatly think it took so long for you to get a call because upon completion of ur one on one NYSDOCS had a huge hiring freeze. For about a year they werent testing/interviewing/hiring anyone. I think it all started up again recently..sometime at the end of 2009.

@cgaz
Maybe that'll make you feel a lil better. Good luck.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Netta in Brooklyn, New York

79 months ago

i'm going to taking my written psychological exam on the saturday what should I expect on the exam.

Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

@ Netta.. 3000 questions and a longgggg day : )

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Do you know how long it will take before I get my results for the test or is that another long wait for the results

Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

So, does anyone know if it's possible to get into an academy class this year, as I recently finished the last part of the processing process? Still waiting to hear if my background check is clear, no word at all from my investigator, or word if I passed the psych.

Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

There are no results for the written.. Same day u take the written you will be given a date to meet with the the psych... he will question you depending on how you answered the 3000 questions.. my appt with the psych doctor was 3 weeks later.. the wait is after you meet the psych.. how long who knows... i took mine May 8th ill call my investigator June 8 to see where i stand..

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

@mini me Thanks :-)

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Next week Monday will be one month since I met with the psychologist for the oral. Still no word yet... on anything, the background or psych...

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Angel i would wait 2 more weeks then call the investigator..

Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

@Mini me
I spoke with my investigator last week and she told me all their waiting on is my psych results, that it can take up to 2 months to hear anything...

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.